These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Long-Distance Travel Changes Inbound

First post First post First post
Author
John McCreedy
Eve Defence Force
#3081 - 2014-10-02 11:36:07 UTC
Rawthorm wrote:
If CCP is really intent on slamming both Combat and Resource mobility in one stroke then it's about time we got tools to effectively provide for our alliances locally. The biggest barrier is minerals. It's just not profit or time effective to mine minerals at any kind of high scale in Null.

With the new 5LY limit preventing a Null mining wave from flooding empire, it might be time for some kind of Capital mining monstrosity to be implemented. Strictly for Null, has to siege in a belt making itself a nice target to offset the volume of ore it pulls in.
Give us that and another pass to look at mineral distribution and local manufacturing of useful scale might actually happen.

You raise a very good point which leads me to wonder if Greyscale and his team even considered the wider impact to macro economics in this game? For those of you in Empire, consider the increased cost of all your ships and modules when null sec logistics just got more expensive and more time consuming.

13 years and counting. Eve Defence Force is recruiting.

ugly inside
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#3082 - 2014-10-02 11:36:24 UTC
Dalia Rensini wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Can supers use gates after this change?
Yes.

Does this make it too difficult for new pilots to get out into 0.0?
Yes, it probably does. We are going to look at this tomorrow to try and make this easier.

Is the balance for Black Ops final?
No. Please give feedback!

The math about the minimum jump timer is inconsistent in the blog, right?
Yes, it is, I'll fix it as soon as I have time, thread's moving too fast atm!

Very large fatigue values will take a loooong time to decay, is this too much?
Possibly yes, we'll have a look at this.

@ CCP Greyscale

You do realise that most people playing this game are adults with real jobs and life, who play this game for fun.

Most people have no ambition / patience / intention to wait 3 days moving a capital ship a few dozen LY.

Yes go ahead and take the fun away by creating yet another time sink.

If you are intending to limit power projection, limit amount of ships that can be bridged / jumped / maximum mass allowed to enter into a system / day or something like that, not jump fatique which is such a terrible idea I cannot even describe.

i like the mass limit idea.. its like the wormhole updates.. only.. not.. but still i do like it =)
Arkon Olacar
black.listed
#3083 - 2014-10-02 11:36:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Arkon Olacar
In short, CCP should not release these changes yet. They can be made to work, but a shitton of other changes are required first:

Redistribute moon, ice, asteroids/minerals and anything else that is region-specific. A single nullsec region has to have to capability to be self-sufficient if these changes are to work - and that includes T2 production. T3 production is a special snowflake circumstance, that will always need to be imported. If CCP want to cripple the highsec/nullsec logistics chain, then they MUST first give us the tools to function without it.

Fully iterate on jump clones. It's one thing to remove the ability to podex, but meaningless if you still allow pilots to jump clone across the map in an instant. All it does is hand the advantage to anyone with such a jump clone network already established.

Rebuild the map. And not simply by reducing all of the inter-star distances, that removes the point of the range nerf. Cut down on the 'moat' surrounding the drone regions, and 'square off' regions with strange shapes like Catch. It should be easy to defend your own region with capitals, but harder to throw them elsewhere - this is one of the central principles in these changes. NPC nullsec should be possible (but not neccessarily easy) to keep supplied, rather than being cut off completely. One or two more NPC nullsec regions in the east would provide variety and content to the current renter wasteland.

Make sov space worth living in. Right now each system can only handle a handful of people at a time, and the income is not that great a step up from highsec. If CCP wants alliances to live in densely populated regions, they need to make that possible rather than trying to shoehorn us in. It may be worth removing truesec, as that is one of the key factors in 80% of nullsec being useless.

With these changes in place - and a few weeks gap for people to adjust - the proposed jump drive changes can be made without screwing everyone over. CCP wants to change the way people play? That is fine, they should use a carrot and a stick. Right now we are being bludgeoned to death with the stick while some bloke in a wifebeater sits there eating the carrot in front of us.
Panther X
Destructive Influence
Northern Coalition.
#3084 - 2014-10-02 11:37:15 UTC
For the love of Amarr, just refund my money on my capitals, delete them from the game, and we can go back to jumping to 15.

Cruisers Online. Thanks a fuckton CCP. I have like an hour maximum a day to play the game, and now I have to spend it in both TiDi AND Jump Fatigue?

Great.

I'm thinking that the clown who thought up "yeah capitals through stargates" completely had a brain fart on the fact that it takes 6 years to align a carrier to the next stargate, let alone warp to it.

Hello nano archon.

Really? This is your solution?

How about letting the 400000 people who play the game decide on whats a good idea for ruining the game before you let the 8 clowns who buy the popular vote do.

Sounds like the Unemployment Line in Reykjavik is about to get a little longer.

Rant over.

And no, "Can I haz yer stuffs" wasn't even funny the first time.

Now. tears aside, I agree that there should be a force limiter in some cases on capitals. I for one do not want to spend 18 hours stuck in B-R waiting to F1. But this is not the way to go. Jump fatigue is just pointless. Make us use more fuel, sure, I mine it and sell it. Cha-ching! If I have to wait 6 days to make that one last jump you better let me dock my super though. Hanging my ass in the breeze it not what I call entertaining. CCP why dont you just tell us once and for all that your hardware is junk, and that you can't support fleet fights of 2000 people at once and limit system population?

My laptop probably has more ram than your server farm altogether if you have to resort to these stunts.

Look at the shiny unsub button.....look at it.....how tempting. But not today. You still have time to fire these idiots. I pay their paychecks, and I say bye bye lardass. Go back to writing ****** apps for iphones.

My Titan smells of rich Corinthian Leather...

Zhul Chembull
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3085 - 2014-10-02 11:37:15 UTC
Gossi91 wrote:
ziktreyon wrote:
Dear CCP,

I like you guys a lot, Im hoping 155 pages of responses is showing you that maybe this is ill concieved.

After that i stoped reading, cause you dont read too.
Look at this thread, ther isnt just QQing or flaming/hating and "I will unsub", no there are ideas how to do it better or positiv feedback too.
And it doesnt matter WHAT CCP change in 0.0, because EVERY change in 0.0 will make the perople in 0.0 cry

No it don't just don't take away the jet and give us a horse carriage again. No one here is crying they are trying to stop CCP from an utter disaster.
Neesa Corrinne
Nyx Legion..
Breakpoint.
#3086 - 2014-10-02 11:37:34 UTC
ziktreyon wrote:
Dear CCP,

I like you guys a lot, Im hoping 155 pages of responses is showing you that maybe this is ill concieved.

But seriously, Im not bashing you guys, I see where youre coming from.

But please, slowing down a game that makes chess look like a shootout isnt a great idea.

There are better ways of doing this.

Not to mention...if you want to kill the batphone, then maybe you should consider that youve given the biggest advantage to us (the people with the batphones). The CFC has so many pilots, many of which are below the requirements for fighting in a capital but can still pilot one, that we end up with the biggest advantage. We can use many pilots to move a single ship, a smaller entity that cant do that doesnt stand a chance. In a prolonged engagement, they burn out their pilots after a few fights and none of them can jump for a few weeks while we can keep going forever and ever by recycling pilots until the cows come home.

Youre gold plating the batphone and handing it to the CFC on a silver platter.

[and if anyone says im QQing about the CFC, pay attention...Im IN the CFC. But I know we are a lot of the perceived problem =D ]

But you assume too much.

If you actually read the 155 pages, you'd see that a large chunk of us are defending these changes and praying they actually make it into effect.

Those of us who have been getting hot dropped by 12 carriers in 10 man cruiser fleets have been told to HTFU for years, and now when they take those casual hot drops away, we're not allowed to say HTFU? Incredible. Simply mind boggling.

Also, the "This effects the smaller guys more than us" argument is effing hilarious. There's no way anyone in the CFC would take the time to drop by the forums and fight for the little guy. Really. I believe you. Like seriously, thanks for looking out for us for the past five years, how nice of you to suddenly show up and support us now that you've spent half a decade raking in trillions of renter ISK from us.
Schluffi Schluffelsen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3087 - 2014-10-02 11:37:51 UTC
ziktreyon wrote:
Dear CCP,

But please, slowing down a game that makes chess look like a shootout isnt a great idea.

Not to mention...if you want to kill the batphone, then maybe you should consider that youve given the biggest advantage to us (the people with the batphones). The CFC has so many pilots, many of which are below the requirements for fighting in a capital but can still pilot one, that we end up with the biggest advantage. We can use many pilots to move a single ship, a smaller entity that cant do that doesnt stand a chance. In a prolonged engagement, they burn out their pilots after a few fights and none of them can jump for a few weeks while we can keep going forever and ever by recycling pilots until the cows come home.

[and if anyone says im QQing about the CFC, pay attention...Im IN the CFC. But I know we are a lot of the perceived problem =D ]

That's the sad part - you know you're killing the game with it, you know you're forcing these chances upon New Eden because you're too lazy to change something about it. Don't blame CCP for it, seriously. They gave us all the tools to shape nullsec and well, look at how dull it became.
kuner kunelebe
X-Zest Voyage
X - Z E S T
#3088 - 2014-10-02 11:38:45 UTC
looks like patch for caribears, if that will realised they will able to rat in 10-15 carriers fllet in own system witout a risk of being dropped
Turelus
Utassi Security
#3089 - 2014-10-02 11:41:04 UTC
In regards to the changes to remote clone installs what is the solution now if you're away from game for a period of time and lose the outpost your clone is in and don't have jump clones.
Will the clone be automatically set to somewhere in Empire again so you can get back from NullSec without suffering multiple poddings and no chance to update a clone.

This could already be solved under the current loss of outpost mechanics but I'm not fully versed in them.

Turelus CEO Utassi Security

Shonion
FREE GATES
#3090 - 2014-10-02 11:42:14 UTC
Dear CCP,

You nicely managed to smash power projection with this idea.
However accidenty logistic...
Sigras
Conglomo
#3091 - 2014-10-02 11:43:03 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Selexid wrote:
Lurifax wrote:
This will change nothing for the renter empires and the blue donut!

Well then how will the renter overlords will be able to defend all their space when multiple smaller entities attack them all over the shop? Remember no more insta teleporting 5 regions away for that tower.

EXACLTY as they do today. They put a crapton of subcapitals and move their capitals to get close to the more likely group to escalate to usage of capitals. As soon as they can they provoke a jutland battle with FULL force crush COMPLETELY and utterly the enemy because it will be ALONE with its fleet agaisnt he full massed fleet of the defender empire, while his allies cannto come to help. On next day they do the same against the other group.

You may be sure these groups will have 300 archosn stationed on every troublesome corner of their empire, and they will SHUTTLE travel or interceptor travel in 20 min there, get into their archons and obliterate the attacking fleet that cannot be reinforced because of these changes.

Peopel wake UP. This will make even more STUPID to spread your forces. Force concentration is not counterable in this game, so the empires will still focus ALL Their force and the other groups trying to attack from different flanks will have a FAR HARDER time fighting back.

The only thing you will see less is Supercarriers and Titans on not critical fights. But the archon blobs will remain EXACT as before.

nobody is saying that this change will make large alliances weaker or less masters of their domain. What this change will do is make their domain smaller.

Now large alliances will be less able to fight a war on all fronts, and they'll have to make decisions about splitting their forces or choosing which targets to defend or not.

In the past, I always used to laugh when I read reports that "RZR is 'deploying' to delve to assist with the war". My first thought was that it means nothing when they can be back to defend their space before anything comes under attack.
I mean honestly, if razor deployed to delve, and I decided to SBU some of their systems, they could be back to blow up my SBUs before the darn things even onlined! That is seriously broken.

Strategic movement of assets should be just that, not something you do because you were bored yesterday and decided to take a day trip to the other side of the galaxy!
Andre Vauban
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#3092 - 2014-10-02 11:43:11 UTC
Overall, I like the changes. I do have two minor concerns.

First, I'm concerned about the exponential increase in fatigue cataching some folks off guard and making their character worthless for a long time. As a result, I would like to see some hard ceiling put in place on fatigue in the order of ~2000 which woudl take two weeks to decay. At least this way nobody can permanently destroy their character's ability to jump.

Second, I'm concerned about this impacting the ability of people to project power in a very small area of space and use carriers to redeploy to nearby stations (ie within < 5 ly). For this, I would like to have some way to move around in under 5 ly without hitting massive cool down/fatigue levels. For this, how about we introduce a concept of "home system". The "home system" can be selected by a player whenever their jump fatigue is 0. Whenever a player jumps into their "home system", they incur zero additional increase in fatigue, but still get their jump cool down timer. Something like this will still make suitcase carriers viable if they are used in a less than 1 jump. I'm a little worried this can be exploited via caravan style movements where different players set their home systems between point A and B while each moving materials for their leg of the trip.

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#3093 - 2014-10-02 11:43:49 UTC
Dalia Rensini wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Can supers use gates after this change?
Yes.

Does this make it too difficult for new pilots to get out into 0.0?
Yes, it probably does. We are going to look at this tomorrow to try and make this easier.

Is the balance for Black Ops final?
No. Please give feedback!

The math about the minimum jump timer is inconsistent in the blog, right?
Yes, it is, I'll fix it as soon as I have time, thread's moving too fast atm!

Very large fatigue values will take a loooong time to decay, is this too much?
Possibly yes, we'll have a look at this.

@ CCP Greyscale

You do realise that most people playing this game are adults with real jobs and life, who play this game for fun.

Most people have no ambition / patience / intention to wait 3 days moving a capital ship a few dozen LY.

Yes go ahead and take the fun away by creating yet another time sink.

If you are intending to limit power projection, limit amount of ships that can be bridged / jumped / maximum mass allowed to enter into a system / day or something like that, not jump fatique which is such a terrible idea I cannot even describe.

THAT! Its a very innefective solution and that takes a lot of the fun of the game.

CCP need solutions that make better for peopel PLAYING, not people WORKING the game.

The huge groups will surely have enough no life people that can keep movign their ships while at work , resultign very little effect. But the single persons that PAY this game (i.e do not use plex for subs are majority few hours pwe week players.

BE careful CCP on changes that harm SPECIALLY the people that REALLY give all the money that ccp earns.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

darmwand
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#3094 - 2014-10-02 11:43:51 UTC
Sounds promising, looking forward to these changes.

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp."

flakeys
Doomheim
#3095 - 2014-10-02 11:47:01 UTC
Zhul Chembull wrote:
Gossi91 wrote:
ziktreyon wrote:
Dear CCP,

After that i stoped reading, cause you dont read too.
Look at this thread, ther isnt just QQing or flaming/hating and "I will unsub", no there are ideas how to do it better or positiv feedback too.
And it doesnt matter WHAT CCP change in 0.0, because EVERY change in 0.0 will make the perople in 0.0 cry

No it don't just don't take away the jet and give us a horse carriage again. No one here is crying they are trying to stop CCP from an utter disaster.

I quite disagree Lol

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Forstbyte
Spark In The Dark
#3096 - 2014-10-02 11:47:40 UTC
So much anger aimed in a particular direction (yea to you Greyscale)

I believe this is the right thing to do. Now lets sit back and watch new eden burn.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#3097 - 2014-10-02 11:47:48 UTC
Sigras wrote:

nobody is saying that this change will make large alliances weaker or less masters of their domain. What this change will do is make their domain smaller.

Now large alliances will be less able to fight a war on all fronts, and they'll have to make decisions about splitting their forces or choosing which targets to defend or not.

In the past, I always used to laugh when I read reports that "RZR is 'deploying' to delve to assist with the war". My first thought was that it means nothing when they can be back to defend their space before anything comes under attack.
I mean honestly, if razor deployed to delve, and I decided to SBU some of their systems, they could be back to blow up my SBUs before the darn things even onlined! That is seriously broken.

Strategic movement of assets should be just that, not something you do because you were bored yesterday and decided to take a day trip to the other side of the galaxy!

I will explain again. It will NOT make their domains smaller. The current system give plenty of time for an alliance to relocate to other side of their empire (they literally have DAYS) and CRUSH the opposition, and PUNISH those people for being dumb enough to try. Then they will deal with the second group.

They will still attack with their FULL force every time. They have time to do it. SO what if they lose 1 system from time to time. The impact will be minor. No one will be able to make major gains before they redeploy.

This would make some effect IF disrupting a system was something you could do within a 4-6 hour period.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

BlackMatrix
Black Dragon PHP
Brave Collective
#3098 - 2014-10-02 11:48:38 UTC
Zhul Chembull wrote:
BlackMatrix wrote:
ziktreyon wrote:
Dear CCP,

lol ... Ok so how about you read the comments and see there is a lot of positive in here.

I want what your smoking, care to share ?

You are obviously just another one who just reads the posts he feels like. As I said ... a lot of positive amongst the negative.
These changes just change play style and although (if you read my earlier post) do need refinements present huge options for everyone.
True Sight
Deep Freeze Industries
#3099 - 2014-10-02 11:48:58 UTC
There's also one more factor CCP seem to forget about sometimes... this new mechanic isn't fun whilst games need to be balanced, they do also need to actually offer fun and reward.

People (including myself, someone living in empire at the moment and not using jump ships) generally feel they've accomplished something when they obtain their first capital, they are fun ships, when I first got my carrierI d**ked about jumping all over the place, friend wanted me to join him 5 jumps away? SURE! let me put my exhumer in my carrier and jump to you!

People who are use to the above are not going to find arbitrary cooldowns fun. there has to be another way to limit projection in an effective way without making people feel like they don't even want fly a capital ship anymore.
Josef Djugashvilis
#3100 - 2014-10-02 11:49:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Josef Djugashvilis
Phoebe = NEW Eden

For good or bad.

This is not a signature.