These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Long-Distance Travel Changes Inbound

First post First post First post
Author
BlueJeff Azul
Reeloaded
Reeloaded.
#2121 - 2014-10-02 01:31:45 UTC
CCP is gambling. Will I or won't I leave and take my funds with me? We shall see if they implement this foolishness.
Jane Shapperd
Quafe Commandos
Commonwealth Vanguard
#2122 - 2014-10-02 01:32:03 UTC
i agree with everything but the jump range , that's just crazy 5ly is nothing really people in remote places would need like 20 cyno alts to get to the closest low sec to jita and come back

that's why too much .

you wanna nerf the jump range fine , make all capitals jump range same as the dread jump range now
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2123 - 2014-10-02 01:32:51 UTC
Brigadine Ferathine wrote:
My problem is " We are working with CSM to make changes" all the CSMs belong to NULL SOV holders. they should be the people who are not asked. They benefit from NOT fixing the system.

This is like asking the RICH if they want to be TAXED more. OF course they will say no.

Except not all of the CSM's belong to sov holding entities.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

NFain
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2124 - 2014-10-02 01:33:17 UTC
Jane Shapperd wrote:
i agree with everything but the jump range , that's just crazy 5ly is nothing really people in remote places would need like 20 cyno alts to get to the closest low sec to jita and come back

that's why too much .

you wanna nerf the jump range fine , make all capitals jump range same as the dread jump range now

not enough Twisted
mena hiesler
ayastigi sydicate
#2125 - 2014-10-02 01:33:25 UTC
while somewhat of a good "" Idea" the large enities already have vast logistical networks so this wont affect them once again another nerfhammer to the smaller entities not to mention the pure logistical nightmare that some parts of null will be to reach just to bring in common ships or materials that can't be mined or found in that region. I suspect it will be about a day before the big blue donut finds some way to exploit this to there own advantage.
Cozmo I
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2126 - 2014-10-02 01:34:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Cozmo I
5 LY range is a massive issue for jump freighters to reach some parts of nullsec - looking at the map mostly south of the Vapor Sea and east of Divinity's Edge.

while I can see the reasoning for all the changes, the geography of EVE makes those 5 LY a real trouble for logistics.

My personal opinion? implement changes as planned, change the geography of EVE a little to make that gap smaller - and thus give jump freighters more than one option to go east.

(I do a lot of nullsec industry and logistics. nerfing Jita logistics HARD is a good thing imho. but please don't make it impossibly hard - there are those things that are possible to make from local ressources and where you just have to import stuff)
Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2127 - 2014-10-02 01:34:45 UTC
Joshua Milton Blahyi wrote:
Innominate wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Well we have the tools now unless I'm missing something.

The manufacturing locations were changed. It still depends on having shipping of resources to/from Jita as most cannot be reasonably collected in-place where they can be collected at all.

Heaven forbid some goons have to go and do some mining locally to avoid several hours of logistics work.

A little bit of carebear duty will do you guys a world of good.

You think goons aren't carebearing mofos....

How cute.
Yogg Yotosala
Perkone
Caldari State
#2128 - 2014-10-02 01:34:46 UTC
2 things (they have probably been said before but I'll say them again)

1. I think 5LY max is way too short. Yes I understand you want to tone down batphones and, yes, I understand that you want to try and limit "safety" of capital travel. However giving gates to caps does not even come close to negating the minuscule jump range as gate camps will just get worse by a large factor. The great part about jumping is that it is a "safer" mode of travel. I'm not opposed to fatigue as a concept, but i feel that its high cost coupled with the tiny jump range is a bit harsh.

2.You always seem to be talking about new player experience and player retention, and i feel that null will become too hard for a new player to access since null entrance gatecamps will get 1000x(exaggerated) worse as people will try to get caps thru, so there is much more of an incentive to camp a gate if you now have a chance to get a juicy cap kill. This means that a low skilled BC (or similar ship) will have no chance of getting thru one of those camps and out to their friends/new corp. I know that the pod-jumping is an abused mechanic but I feel that killing it entirely is a bit of a cop out. C'mon guys be creative, I'm sure you could figure out something that allows a faster and safer way to get your body somewhere than gating through said gatecamps, while removing the abused parts.

Maybe some sort of one-time-use thing that can be used at certain stations(hisec offices, etc) and allow you to go to a certain station(s) held by your alliance. Maybe it could utilize AUR as it would be a "luxury" thing.

My 2 cents

~Yogg
Medalyn Isis
Doomheim
#2129 - 2014-10-02 01:35:12 UTC
Jane Shapperd wrote:

that's why too much .

Get used to the new world order. Your not meant to be able to easily get to the closest low sec to Jita, that is the whole point.
Miyammato Musashi
Freeport Exploration
Loosely Affiliated Pirates Alliance
#2130 - 2014-10-02 01:36:15 UTC
NinjaTurtle wrote:
Is it me or does this seems like an uncharacteristically heavy-handed balance pass? Some of these ideas could be great if you applied them more specifically but at this point you're just swinging the bat as you walk through the room. Thumbs down.

It's just you. This isn't a "balance pass" at all. It's a complete redefining the use and roll of jump capable ships. It's the end of cross map teleportation. Full stop.

I am a meat popsicle. 

Paynus Maiassus
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#2131 - 2014-10-02 01:36:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Paynus Maiassus
NinjaTurtle wrote:
Is it me or does this seems like an uncharacteristically heavy-handed balance pass? Some of these ideas could be great if you applied them more specifically but at this point you're just swinging the bat as you walk through the room. Thumbs down.

It's a much needed heavy hand. This stuff has been talked about for a long time. The idea of spool ups and cool downs are nothing new, and have been advocated by a lot of really major players and thinkers. Further, a great many have suggested removing jump drives altogether or limiting their range even further. I guess you haven't been following this stuff. They are implementing a fairly moderate version of a concept that has been floating around for a LONG time.

We wanted to break up the blocs.

We wanted to get rid of the blue donut.

We asked for stuff just like this or in many cases even tougher nerfs.

I don't know why you people are surprised.

The only shortfall I see is that there hasn't been enough consideration given to just how miserable the life of a JF pilot is. Or how we want to break up the combat pattern but we don't want to jack with Eve's successful economy too seriously. So again, bravo on the combat ships. Show some love to the Rorq and JF pilots please.

But all in all, if you're familiar with the whole power projection issue, I really can't believe you people are surprised, and I can't believe you people aren't thankful that it wasn't more severe.
Venetian Tar
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2132 - 2014-10-02 01:36:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Venetian Tar
Thatt Guy wrote:
The butt hurt is lovely.

When they ruined wormholes, you nullbears laughed and poked fun.

Remember this??
HTFU and stop whining

ah yes, they were fun at one point

i wonder how many in the video are still working for ccp

I don't hate you, I'm just not necessarily excited about your existance.

Vol Arm'OOO
Central Co-Prosperity Union
#2133 - 2014-10-02 01:37:05 UTC
Paynus Maiassus wrote:
Vol Arm'OOO wrote:
Dont really care what happens to capitals, but these changes function as a full on nerf to blops and covert ops ships that use blops bridges. Blops and blops bridges should be excluded from these changes. But if CCP is hell bent on making them, then blops should finally be given covert op cloaks so they at least have some chance of getting home.

coops can just cloak up and wait out the time. Will mean fewer jumps per night, maybe, but my experience in bomber fleets is that you spend have the night waiting around anyway.

I foresee very minimal impact on the covert lifestyle for the vast majority of cloaky players.

Preception is everything. Its one thing for folks to have to sit on their hands while they hunt targets, its another thing entirely for players to have to wait for abitrary timers to wind down for them to play. The first one is part of the sand box, the second one just promotes hatred of ccp and the game.

I don't play, I just fourm warrior.

Hoshi
Incredible.
Brave Collective
#2134 - 2014-10-02 01:37:26 UTC
Daenika wrote:
I mean, only large alliances are going to have the manpower to gate-jump capitals. For everyone else, they might as well just self-destruct the capital (and their pod), fly to their destination, and buy a new capital, because it amounts to the same.

That's the largest problem I have with this. The large blocks will have no problem moving there capital fleets using gates because their fleets are large enough that no one can really do anything to them. In some ways this will actually increase the mobility of larger cap fleets, I really don't look forward to 100+ man fleets of roaming capitals...

While for the smaller groups which only have a handful capitals using gates is not an option because even smaller roaming gangs are going to pose a serious threat to them.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

NFain
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2135 - 2014-10-02 01:37:36 UTC
Cozmo I wrote:
5 LY range is a massive issue for jump freighters to reach some parts of nullsec - looking at the map mostly south of the Vapor Sea and east of Divinity's Edge.

while I can see the reasoning for all the changes, the geography of EVE makes those 5 LY a real trouble for logistics.

My personal opinion? implement changes as planned, change the geography of EVE a little to make that gap smaller - and thus give jump freighters more than one option to go east.

Its stuff like this CCP wants to push and we've been asking for. If there's one bottleneck, it'll be consistently contested, which is good.

I for see a lot more logistical capitals lost and more strategy being implemented to solve your issue. Which is what we want.
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2136 - 2014-10-02 01:37:38 UTC
Jane Shapperd wrote:

that's why too much .

Congratulations, you missed literally the entire point of this change Roll

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Builder AlphaOne
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2137 - 2014-10-02 01:38:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Builder AlphaOne
after 108 pages now, the changes proposed still do not address the underlying problem -- a few carriers, linked in spider tank fashion to reinforce each other, are essentially immune to any force but repeated doomsdays or more carriers. Your more typical small outfit force of 50 subcapital ships is still toast when a few carriers show up -- they have to run or die.

sure -- that's not what CCP set out to do with these changes. BUT that should have been the top priority. Lack of new players in large numbers can be traced to their limited impact on the game. That's what might fix the declining revenue problem that CCP has.

--Older than dirt. Older than EVE, too.
MonkeyBusiness Thiesant
Pandemic Unicorns
#2138 - 2014-10-02 01:39:03 UTC  |  Edited by: MonkeyBusiness Thiesant
Daenika wrote:
So, if we're absolutely committed to this Fatigue idea, how about we cap fatigue at, say, 144?

I think you can pretty much assume there will be a cap, or some sort of gentle tapering off for the effect. At the moment they're just setting out general principles of cooldown/fatigue, not going over every last detail.

Personally, I like the general idea, with two qualifiers:

1) perhaps the effects on blops are too much - the ship exists to either jump to combat itself, or to fire a bunch of bombers out for a gank. Fatigue as currently laid out will mean you'll be able to make one return trip and then that's end of fleet, and few are going to bother forming a bomber hotdrop fleet for only one drop. To my mind, this cuts out a rather fun part of the game, to little benefit - this isn't titan bridging or cap ops, the main targets of these changes, it's much more small scale and of less strategic importance. It's also accessible to low SP pilots, even in public fleets (eg Bombers Bar or Spectre Fleet). In my opinion, that's something worth preserving.

Suggestion: the same 90% fatigue reduction offered to JFs/Rorqs. If that's too much, perhaps only offer said fatigue reduction to ships bridged.

2) Logistics work via JF is going to be borderline impossible with 5LY max, as too many of the big regional null gates are beyond that range. I know there's a complicated interaction with the industry changes to consider, but perhaps restrict the initial range reduction to 25% (7.5ly)? As above, afaics the main target is strategic capital movement/bridging, so perhaps the knock-on effects on logistics should be less severe. Perhaps to be re-evaluated after a few months to observe the effects?
Chris Winter
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#2139 - 2014-10-02 01:39:13 UTC
Will jump skills be removed from requirements for capital ships, considering that you no longer need to be able to jump to move a capship around?
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2140 - 2014-10-02 01:39:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Mallak Azaria
Joshua Milton Blahyi wrote:
Innominate wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Well we have the tools now unless I'm missing something.

The manufacturing locations were changed. It still depends on having shipping of resources to/from Jita as most cannot be reasonably collected in-place where they can be collected at all.

Heaven forbid some goons have to go and do some mining locally to avoid several hours of logistics work.

A little bit of carebear duty will do you guys a world of good.

We can already make any tech 1 ship in nullsec, but tech 2 & some capital components can only be built from materials that spawn in certain areas of space. If you had any idea of what you were talking about then you would understand how stupid your suggestion is & probably wouldn't have made it in the first place.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.