These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Long-Distance Travel Changes Inbound

First post First post First post
Author
Sabrina Scatterbrain
United Souls Research And Development
#1681 - 2014-10-01 22:45:12 UTC
I just noticed it is exactly 6 months after and before April 1st. This is all just a big joke, right?
Evelgrivion
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1682 - 2014-10-01 22:45:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Evelgrivion
Bort Malice wrote:
You two clearly arent looking hard enough

The only losers here are the little guys

The Alliances positions are, if anything, more solid.

Now there's a slippery slope. The position of larger groups is intrinsically weakened, no matter how you want to spin it, with the reintroduction of real opportunities for interdiction and outmaneuvering. These are playing field disadvantages that smaller groups have been forced to contend with since, well, forever.

However, I do think it would be wise to get rid of in-space refits from one capital ship to another.
Chirality Tisteloin
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1683 - 2014-10-01 22:45:58 UTC
Exponential growth of fatigue seems to overdo it.

Better use "logistic growth":

At each jump:

If Fatigue < jumpdistance:
Fatigue = jumpdistance + 1
else :
Fatigue += R*Fatigue*(1-Fatigue/K)

The parameter R controls how fast a character exhausts (could be lowered through skills / implants ...?)
(baseline might be R=2)

The parameter K is the "maximum" Fatigue a character can get. (something like 30-45 seems realistic)
Fatigue decays with time as suggested in Dev blog.

Might give designers better knobs to tune than the exponential growth model.

Cheers, Chira.

See you at my blog: http://spindensity.wordpress.com/

Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1684 - 2014-10-01 22:46:14 UTC
Queadah wrote:
Alain Colcer wrote:
If you are using arbitrary tools to limit jump mechanics, Why not make it a capacitor depletion?

A short jump uses a small ammount of capacitor, and reduces very slightly your cap regen for a small ammount of time.
A long jump uses a fair ammount of capacitor, and drastically reduces your cap regen for a longer ammount of time.

Making it a risky proposition to cross the galaxy (unless you first secured the exit point), yet a safe one to make short jump for defensive deployment. Wouldnt that make more sense?

I don't post often on forum either, but cap depletion seems more acceptable...

A 'fatigue' system will be a ***** to implement...

Cap Chain, might have heard of it?
Will Swiftsure
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1685 - 2014-10-01 22:46:39 UTC
You mean you can't deploy your entire fleet to the other side of a galaxy in 15 minutes?

Looking forward to see the changes. Hopefully this will change the current setup in nullsec.
Thalen Draganos
Nabisco Liberation Collective
#1686 - 2014-10-01 22:46:42 UTC
CCP, You have gone full ****** this time. Never go full ******.

-8 accounts
....and no, no one can have my stuff. I will keep it until the end.
Ice Dealer
Ice Dealer Corporation
#1687 - 2014-10-01 22:47:19 UTC
As a Jump Freighter pilot, these changes are bad.

Here's the deal CCP. You hurt your smart players. I didn't have a choice with the old JF changes. I want to be smart. So I carry less cargo. I fit max tank. Even with an empty load, I could get killed just for the lolz.
So, you say I have a choice. But I don't. Carry less, or die.
Now it costs me more fuel.
Now it will cost me more jumps.
It will ultimately cost me more time.

This is a game. I don't want to work more for the same benefits.

Irl. I am not going to take a new job with less pay, working harder.

In my games I play, I am not going to work harder for less rewards. Nor am I going to risk more for the same rewards.

I'm sorry CCP. I gave you a year of subscription in good faith. That was a bad decision on my part.

I am going to log in less, only to skill change until sub runs out, then stop handing you money.

I'm sorry to my null alliance. I will not be importing and exporting for you anymore. CCP has and will continue to make that a horrible job.

When all accounts run out you will lose $210.00 per year from this account, and my two cyno/pvp accounts. That is $630.00 usd per year.

Not much to a company that has 400,000 active accounts at $17.50 per month, or $84,000,000 a year.
It's a small drop. But how many others will also do this?
How many of my friends will not play when they ask me about Eve Online?
Together, maybe if your paychecks are at risk, you will finally understand.
Roddex
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1688 - 2014-10-01 22:47:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Roddex
Leave the ability to create remote medical clones but with a cooldown (similar to how jump clones work, but with a corp office instead of a clone as the target). This will allow pilots to move staging systems without travel, allow you to move out of a hostile Sov Station without getting your clone contract revoked, and provide the other benefits of death cloning currently but will require players to sacrifice presence at their original system (as they won't be able to set it back until the cooldown expires).

While this could be used to avoid jump fatigue, it would require a ship cache the same as jump clones and you would be risking a hostile force running free in your home space while you were out of range. Possibly have remote medical and jump clones share a cooldown so they can't be chained together.
Mijou Star
ICE is Coming to EVE
Goonswarm Federation
#1689 - 2014-10-01 22:47:30 UTC
Evelgrivion wrote:
Bort Malice wrote:

Now there's a slippery slope. Their position is intrinsically weakened, no matter how you want to spin it, with the reintroduction of real opportunities for interdiction and outmaneuvering.

However, I do think it would be wise to get rid of in-space refits from one capital ship to another.

As a little guy... err girl i love the jump changes.... maby not so much the JF nerf thingy but the other capital change i love
Iori Asano
Bodacious Space Pirates
#1690 - 2014-10-01 22:47:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Iori Asano
While i think this plan is a bit harsh (let alone pants on head ********), i do think that it's going in the right direction.

I think it would be better if the jump range wasn't changed so that the quality of life aspects of logistics and ability to attack places isn't made irrelevant.

It would be nice if there was say some multiplier for were the jumping is taking places. inside a constellation maybe theres a significant bonus to cool down, then regional theres a slight bonus, enough to make it easier to hold a region, then when going from one region to another there's a harsh penalty, and maybe make lowsec in general not be a painful to travel through as nullsec.

I'd prefer a flat rate penalty for these jumps rather than some exponential tomfoolery that makes it increibly hard for anything to move at all. not everyone has 8 hours a day to move a ship from point a to point b. and spending a week to just move a single character from jita to somewhere in null is a terrible gaming experience. not to mention needing 2 to 4 times as many cynos with the punishment of not being able to move cyno alts in decent amount of time.

Ihere should incentive to live local and stay local as opposed to disincentive day to day operations.

A simple 30 minute cool down for crossing a regional border in a certain span of time would do more for the health of the game than making jump drives worthless.
Sierra Mackenzie
Black Widow Logistics
#1691 - 2014-10-01 22:47:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Sierra Mackenzie
The range changes are way too severe when it comes to JFs. Do you people even play your own game? Small alliance logistics is already soul-sucking enough. Yet another change aimed at ******* the big guy that ***** the little guy even more.

WTS Anshar.
Uriel Paradisi Anteovnuecci
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#1692 - 2014-10-01 22:48:07 UTC
Thalen Draganos wrote:

-8 accounts

Okay.

Jose Ambraelle
Occulus Rifts
Renegade Outcasts
#1693 - 2014-10-01 22:48:25 UTC
5LY with Max skills is too way to much of a nerf. Whats the point in having a Jump drive on your ship if its faster to just take the gate like everyone else?

Between 7-10 LY would prob be a bit better to start and see how it works and reduce it if needed, cause going from 14LY to 5 is pretty heavy.
gomlee
Junkyard crew
#1694 - 2014-10-01 22:48:47 UTC
Tazarak theDeceiver wrote:

It's like they gathered all our wives in a room together to find a way to kill the game.

hahahahahahah best reply ever!!!!!
Shepard Wong Ogeko
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1695 - 2014-10-01 22:49:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Shepard Wong Ogeko
Joshua Milton Blahyi wrote:

Same goes for all those tasty low sec R64 moons currently help by PL/Goons. They won't be able to protect all of them all the time.

Enjoying trying to get that moon goo to market, through lowsec. Paying everyone in your convoy ops is going to eat into those tasty profits.
Bort Malice
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#1696 - 2014-10-01 22:49:07 UTC
Evelgrivion wrote:
Bort Malice wrote:

Now there's a slippery slope. Their position is intrinsically weakened, no matter how you want to spin it, with the reintroduction of real opportunities for interdiction and outmaneuvering. These are playing field disadvantages that smaller groups have been forced to contend with since, well, forever.

I honestly cant see how you see it that way.

Smaller groups now cant use Null at all, theres zero chance of taking any ground as the now-conventional fleets are on every gate.

DeadDuck
Trust Doesn't Rust
Goonswarm Federation
#1697 - 2014-10-01 22:49:11 UTC
Thalen Draganos wrote:

-8 accounts

Now that you are leaving don't bother to post anymore. Roll
Gorski Car
#1698 - 2014-10-01 22:50:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Gorski Car
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THEY CAME FOR RLMLS?
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THEY CAME FOR HMLS?
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THEY CAME FOR WARP SPEEDS?
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THEY CAME FOR TRACKING ENHANCERS?

and where were you when they came for light missiles?

Because we will not be here for you now!

Collect this post

Archetype 66
Perkone
Caldari State
#1699 - 2014-10-01 22:50:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Archetype 66
1694 post since 16h43. We're not far of a solid 5 post per minute. Keep up the good work guys !

CCP is probably negotiating. It'starts high and hard, and so, even easying for grumpy's, it will remain important :)
Aleks Cave
TheAuthority
#1700 - 2014-10-01 22:50:31 UTC
Im on 4 TS servers at the moment, everyone is talking **** about this new jumping krap.

Im in 20+ channels, everyone is typing about this krap.

People are going apesshhit about this so called issue....

Well... sod this krap, im off to get laid and drunk!!!!