These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

pushing for harder punishment on hi sec gankers

First post
Author
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#621 - 2014-09-28 10:57:00 UTC
Valkin Mordirc wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:
Froggy Storm wrote:
Might I suggest a little less of the aforementioned "3rd grade econ" and a bit more of 101 level philosophy.

http://www.logicalfallacies.info

Also please note the use of the fallacy in the suggesting that 3rd graders learn Economics specifically.

Actually the point was that 3rd graders learn Economics among many other subjects, and that the other posters here had not even internalized that level of knowledge. But do enjoy trying to fill up your bingo card *eyeroll* - it should be amusing considering that I never make any fallacious arguments.

Hey Ralph? If he does the same thing twice do we get double points?

if it contradicts the first one then yes.
Dwissi
Miners Delight Reborn
#622 - 2014-09-28 11:08:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Dwissi
Froggy Storm wrote:
If we were to drink the koolaid here and agree. Then for the sake of balance, once you've passed the 3 month date then everyone must leave hisec.

The fact that the majority of players are in hisec is reflective of it being too easy to eek out a living there. So as a result the gankers move to where the herds are.

Push the fish out of the barrel and people won't have to come there to shoot them. And as a side effect you get stronger bigger fish and better fishermen to catch them.

I dare to counter your argument - it should be the other way around. New players should start in low sec and earn their right to stay in a protected environment. That would eliminate the false expectations everyone has of high sec right away by not even starting to educate them in a 'safe' environment. The same concept has been applied to many other pvp related games and works fine - it would do so as well in Eve. A 'new player tag' could be easily applied to them for x-days to prevent podding them - but they would lose stuff and learn how the reality is right away.

Proud designer of glasses for geeky dovakins

Before someone complains again: grr everyone

Greed is the death of loyalty

Froggy Storm
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#623 - 2014-09-28 11:16:20 UTC
Dwissi wrote:
Froggy Storm wrote:
If we were to drink the koolaid here and agree. Then for the sake of balance, once you've passed the 3 month date then everyone must leave hisec.

The fact that the majority of players are in hisec is reflective of it being too easy to eek out a living there. So as a result the gankers move to where the herds are.

Push the fish out of the barrel and people won't have to come there to shoot them. And as a side effect you get stronger bigger fish and better fishermen to catch them.

I dare to counter your argument - it should be the other way around. New players should start in low sec and earn their right to stay in a protected environment. That would eliminate the false expectations everyone has of high sec right away by not even starting to educate them in a 'safe' environment. The same concept has been applied to many other pvp related games and works fine - it would do so as well in Eve. A 'new player tag' could be easily applied to them for x-days to prevent podding them - but they would lose stuff and learn how the reality is right away.

An interesting proposal. Though perhaps a bit extreme in scope. Perhaps a tutorial mission string that requires a trip to low sec? Make the completion of said mission string commiserate to that of one of the story arc missions. Heck lead right into the SoE epic arc. There by showing new players that with higher risk should/could come higher rewards.
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#624 - 2014-09-28 11:39:42 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
Well, CCP arbitrarily determines how much a Plex costs in $$$. Then you look at the supply/demand for plex (which is derived from, among other things, the supply/demand for ISK). Currently we have Plex inflation coupled with generalized Eve deflation, which suggests that Eve stuff is getting devalued due to too much mining.

Please enlighten us how you deduce that there is a general deflation? The general trend was always inflation do to CCP removing a lot of ISK sinks (NPC market orders for POS fuel components as an example) and adding a tonn of new ISK faucets like incursions. More ISK in circulation means devaluation of ISK and therefor inflation.

There is no indication that mining has increased in the last time. If you look at the traded Tritanium volume, and I would say this is a good indication for the amount of mining done, it's actually down quite a bit over the last months.

The PLEX inflation will likely continue until something is done against all this risk free ISK money machines in Highsec. This players like yourself have almost no cost do to almost perfect safety and easy game mechanics, so their only target left is to grind ISK for PLEX. Because there is obviously more demand than supply the price is increasing as long as a dedicated incursion runner income can finance it.

But rather than complaining to CCP, because they won't listen anyway, their ranks are full of carebears who steer the game into the abyss this days, we can do something about this on our own. Gank an incursion runner today and stop the ISK inflation death spiral of PLEX.
Renegade Heart
Doomheim
#625 - 2014-09-28 12:33:22 UTC
Froggy Storm wrote:
Again that is the basis of your chosen logic fault. You suggested in explicit terms at least twice that a third grader should know what arbitrage is. (False logic) And that since someone didn't know what that meant (not proven) the rest of their discussion was then invalid though not related (false logic) Which then begs the analysis of "I don't use any faulty logic" which by itself is virtually impossible.

By this point, due to his complete disregard of all valid points I had been making and continued insistence that I knew nothing about the in-game economy, I decided that rather than continue with logical arguments, it would be better to fight fire with fire, or shall we say, absurdity P

And yeah and it's quiet clear really, that there is runaway inflation and not deflation as Veers suggests, but I am sure he'll have an answer to that too!
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#626 - 2014-09-28 12:46:32 UTC
Renegade Heart wrote:
Froggy Storm wrote:
Again that is the basis of your chosen logic fault. You suggested in explicit terms at least twice that a third grader should know what arbitrage is. (False logic) And that since someone didn't know what that meant (not proven) the rest of their discussion was then invalid though not related (false logic) Which then begs the analysis of "I don't use any faulty logic" which by itself is virtually impossible.

By this point, due to his complete disregard of all valid points I had been making and continued insistence that I knew nothing about the in-game economy, I decided that rather than continue with logical arguments, it would be better to fight fire with fire, or shall we say, absurdity P

And yeah and it's quiet clear really, that there is runaway inflation and not deflation as Veers suggests, but I am sure he'll have an answer to that too!

you don't have to prove veers wrong, just keep him talking long enough and he'll do it for youBig smile
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#627 - 2014-09-28 13:03:42 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Renegade Heart wrote:
Froggy Storm wrote:

you don't have to prove veers wrong, just keep him talking long enough and he'll do it for youBig smile

He's like the Anti TippiaTwisted

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#628 - 2014-09-28 17:00:33 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:

There is no indication that mining has increased in the last time. If you look at the traded Tritanium volume, and I would say this is a good indication for the amount of mining done, it's actually down quite a bit over the last months.

The PLEX inflation will likely continue until something is done against all this risk free ISK money machines in Highsec. This players like yourself have almost no cost do to almost perfect safety and easy game mechanics, so their only target left is to grind ISK for PLEX. Because there is obviously more demand than supply the price is increasing as long as a dedicated incursion runner income can finance it.

But rather than complaining to CCP, because they won't listen anyway, their ranks are full of carebears who steer the game into the abyss this days, we can do something about this on our own. Gank an incursion runner today and stop the ISK inflation death spiral of PLEX.

You actually are proving my argument. Even though incursions injected significant isk into the game, and would naturally cause a concomitant rise in the isk price of eve materials, no such rise occurred. In fact, many ships actually declined in price - please check historical data. Pay special attention to pirate faction ships. This is because, brace for it, mining was occuring at an even faster rate, and raw materials were more readily available to use in ship manufacturing. This is probably due to the rise of bot and AFK mining fleets, and the ehp buff to mining barges, plus the spectacularly ineffective campaign by CODE to reduce mining (400 bil lit on fire with no tangible impact).

Now here is the real kicker - and please do listen carefully. If the rise in Plex price was due to Isk faucets - we would see it rising in Isk price, sure, but we would also see all ships/mods rising in isk price in a similar %. So if a plex could get ya 1 mach before incursions, and now because plex doubled in isk price it could buy you two machs, machs would double in price as well, so that plex could still only buy one of them. If the rise in plex was purely due to nominal currency inflation, then then underlying assets that you could purchase with plex would be unchanged, and would need to inflate IN THE EXACT SAME ratio as plex. That is not occurring at all - and the reason is that plex is inflating relative to eve assets, not to isk, and its because of bot/afk mining.

And good luck ganking incursion runners *eyeroll*....your incursion contest was a bust...your organization is barely active anymore....and you always did prefer ships that don't shoot back. Bad at economics, bad at ganking, bad at Eve....CODE in a nutshell.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#629 - 2014-09-28 17:08:09 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:

You actually are proving my argument. Even though incursions injected significant isk into the game, and would naturally cause a concomitant rise in the isk price of eve materials, no such rise occurred. In fact, many ships actually declined in price - please check historical data. Pay special attention to pirate faction ships. This is because, brace for it, mining was occuring at an even faster rate, and raw materials were more readily available to use in ship manufacturing. This is probably due to the rise of bot and AFK mining fleets, and the ehp buff to mining barges, plus the spectacularly ineffective campaign by CODE to reduce mining (400 bil lit on fire with no tangible impact).

Now here is the real kicker - and please do listen carefully. If the rise in Plex price was due to Isk faucets - we would see it rising in Isk price, sure, but we would also see all ships/mods rising in isk price in a similar %. So if a plex could get ya 1 mach before incursions, and now because plex doubled in isk price it could buy you two machs, machs would double in price as well, so that plex could still only buy one of them. If the rise in plex was purely due to nominal currency inflation, then then underlying assets that you could purchase with plex would be unchanged, and would need to inflate IN THE EXACT SAME ratio as plex. That is not occurring at all - and the reason is that plex is inflating relative to eve assets, not to isk, and its because of bot/afk mining.

And good luck ganking incursion runners *eyeroll*....your incursion contest was a bust...your organization is barely active anymore....and you always did prefer ships that don't shoot back. Bad at economics, bad at ganking, bad at Eve....CODE in a nutshell.

Rekt by a 2 kill solo PvP expert.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#630 - 2014-09-28 17:17:11 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:

Rekt by a 2 kill solo PvP expert.

If the Goons want to engage me, can they at least send a real Goon and not a Waffe? Thanks.
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#631 - 2014-09-28 17:54:16 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:

You actually are proving my argument. Even though incursions injected significant isk into the game, and would naturally cause a concomitant rise in the isk price of eve materials, no such rise occurred. In fact, many ships actually declined in price - please check historical data.

I am not sure what data you are looking at, for the last 2 years there was massive inflation. Most Battleships for example used to be way under 100mil ISK. They almost doubled in price.

Veers Belvar wrote:

Pay special attention to pirate faction ships. This is because, brace for it, mining was occuring at an even faster rate, and raw materials were more readily available to use in ship manufacturing. This is probably due to the rise of bot and AFK mining fleets, and the ehp buff to mining barges, plus the spectacularly ineffective campaign by CODE to reduce mining (400 bil lit on fire with no tangible impact).

You start out with a false premise and it does not get better it seams. As I have written, the marked data actually shows a decline in traded amount of minerals. You don't have to invent some pet theory about the mining rate with some numbers that are entirely unrelated if there is an actual metric for it.

Veers Belvar wrote:

As mentioned before the price of the ships actually did increase since incursions where introduced. The ISK cost for a Battleship nearly doubled. PLEX are only loosely tied to the rest of the EVE economy. The supply and demand of PLEX has more to do with what kind of players are playing the game than with the rest of the market. There is absolutely no reason why PLEX should raise at the same ratio other than inflation, which is indeed what seams to happen.

Veers Belvar wrote:

As someone who is superior to you in every possible way I will just say: well trolled, but you forgot to call us "gankbears"
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#632 - 2014-09-28 18:22:41 UTC
I wrote:
Valkin Mordirc wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:
Froggy Storm wrote:
Might I suggest a little less of the aforementioned "3rd grade econ" and a bit more of 101 level philosophy.

Also please note the use of the fallacy in the suggesting that 3rd graders learn Economics specifically.

Actually the point was that 3rd graders learn Economics among many other subjects, and that the other posters here had not even internalized that level of knowledge. But do enjoy trying to fill up your bingo card *eyeroll* - it should be amusing considering that I never make any fallacious arguments.

Hey Ralph? If he does the same thing twice do we get double points?

if it contradicts the first one then yes.

like so

Veers Belvar wrote:

Charax Bouclier
Silvershield Universal
#633 - 2014-09-28 19:01:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Charax Bouclier
I blame all these coalitions that are passively making ISK and not blowing up enough ships against each other for the devaluation of ISK.

GRR GOONS!

There.

I mean, you can throw out MANY reasons for causation, but one should actually back that up with data instead of saying silly things like isolating mining as the culprit.
Lady Areola Fappington
#634 - 2014-09-28 19:38:24 UTC
[quote=Ima Wreckyou]
You start out with a false premise and it does not get better it seams. As I have written, the marked data actually shows a decline in traded amount of minerals. You don't have to invent some pet theory about the mining rate with some numbers that are entirely unrelated if there is an actual metric for it.
[quote]

This is actually a pretty common, and quite dishonest, debating strategy used by a few people around here.

What you do is, start with a bad premise. You then take your debate straight to the "end point". Human nature being what it is, you and your partner debate back and forth on that end point, finally reaching a middle ground....while leaving the original false premise intact for later use.

Example:

"Ganking is a horrible thing done by sociopaths it causes deflation in the markets which keeps newbies from playing the game which causes CCP to lose money so all their devs move to Riot."

"Dude, the devs are moving to Riot because CCP isn't competitive. Also, newbies have no problem playing the game."

"Nuh uh I saw like four newbies quit because they couldn't buy tengus how do you explain that?"

"Well, some people just don't want to play EVE the way it is best they find out early..."

*totally different thread*
Look, ganking is evil, read this thread where a ganker doesn't even address the fact that they're a sociopath....

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#635 - 2014-09-28 20:10:08 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:

Confused

Ok, you are confused and not understanding economics. Plex has been rising far more quickly than ships/mods....and that's because they have become less scarce, and easier to replace. This is overwhelmingly due to the rise of bot mining fleets. The trading volume isn't important - what is important is the $$$ cost of Eve stuff, which has been declining precipitously. Plex is a direct conduit between $$$ and Eve stuff, this is trivial, of course. Maybe if your joke organization actually cut down on mining instead of tilting windmills at incursion runners, you might actually have some use.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#636 - 2014-09-28 20:11:34 UTC
Charax Bouclier wrote:
I blame all these coalitions that are passively making ISK and not blowing up enough ships against each other for the devaluation of ISK.

GRR GOONS!

There.

I mean, you can throw out MANY reasons for causation, but one should actually back that up with data instead of saying silly things like isolating mining as the culprit.

Because the reality is that bot mining fleets are flooding highsec...mining is too easy to do, and far too profitable - result - ship/mod deflation and plex inflation - which is a disaster.
Black Pedro
Mine.
#637 - 2014-09-28 20:21:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Black Pedro
Veers Belvar wrote:

Because the reality is that bot mining fleets are flooding highsec...mining is too easy to do, and far too profitable - result - ship/mod deflation and plex inflation - which is a disaster.

So what is your prescription for this ailment? Do you think that highsec should be made less risky by further nerfing suicide ganking, or perhaps, that the continual tide of nerfs to highsec PvP should be stopped, and perhaps even reversed, to try to bring some balance back to the risk vs. reward in highsec?
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#638 - 2014-09-28 20:42:46 UTC
Veers Belvar wrote:
Ok, you are confused and not understanding economics. Plex has been rising far more quickly than ships/mods....and that's because they have become less scarce, and easier to replace. This is overwhelmingly due to the rise of bot mining fleets. The trading volume isn't important - what is important is the $$$ cost of Eve stuff, which has been declining precipitously. Plex is a direct conduit between $$$ and Eve stuff, this is trivial, of course. Maybe if your joke organization actually cut down on mining instead of tilting windmills at incursion runners, you might actually have some use.

So there is a metric (trade volume) that directly contradicts the assumption that more minerals are mined but "it's not important". Well played, this completely shattered my views about the topic and your unfounded assumptions look absolutely convincing now. And what about all the ad hominem attacks, are they part of the argument? Doesn't work without them I guess.
Veers Belvar
Swordmasters of New Eden
#639 - 2014-09-28 20:43:03 UTC
Black Pedro wrote:
Veers Belvar wrote:

So what is your prescription for this ailment? Do you think that highsec should be made less risky by further nerfing suicide ganking, or perhaps, that the continual tide of nerfs to highsec PvP should be stopped, and perhaps even reversed, to try to bring some balance back to the risk vs. reward in highsec?

Personally I think that mining should be removed from the game. Barring that, there should be a mini-game like with hacking that will at least make it more difficult to do.

Until CCP makes such changes, it behooves all of us to engage with the miners. Most of them only mine because they have no exposure to more enjoyable parts of the game. We should take them on missions, invite them on PvP roams, etc.... not blow them up which just pisses them off and gets them to more determined to mine. Basically, CODE should go back to miner BUMPING and stop with the miner GANKING.

Now obviously this won't work with the real bots, but at least we can get rid of the rest of the miners and stop the runaway deflation.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#640 - 2014-09-28 20:53:11 UTC
Acclaim for "Economics 101 with Veers Belvar"

"Excellent work, standard text for our interns" -Tendai Laxton Biti, Minister of Finance of Zimbabwe 2009-2013