These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Hyperion] Burner Missions

First post
Author
Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#141 - 2014-08-24 06:46:10 UTC
Altrue wrote:
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:

I mean if we are only considering pilots 5 months and younger sure, there will probably be some problems in not being able to do too much, but still they should probably be able to do at least one of the burner missions.

how many isk will they loose before understanding who's the right one? :/

none if they know how to google
Galphii
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#142 - 2014-08-24 07:21:15 UTC
Holy crap they're tough. I fought the blood raiders burner just now.
I took in a worm that put out 270dps, and didn't even dent its armour (it repped back everything I could do to it). I'm going to try a daredevil 'cause I can't think of anything else that's going to put out that sort of damage.

First impression: A lot of people are going to lose a lot of expensive super frigates in this mission and never do them again. Perhaps a tad overpowered? Maybe I'm overlooking something? ECM drones or some such lol

"Wow, that internet argument completely changed my fundamental belief system," said no one, ever.

John Henke
Decompression Services
#143 - 2014-08-24 07:55:55 UTC
As other already said: Holy crap they're tough. I spend couple of hours on the burner missions with no real success.

I beat the burner dramiel with a daredevil. I managed to put the burner daredevil into half armor before i died. Burner worm, no chance to apply damage with a hawk. Same with the burner succubus. I couldn't pin him down. But i will still try to solve this puzzle on sisi, where loosing ships is no problem.

On TQ? I would risk a 100mil isk pirate-frig or a AF, if i knew for sure, that i am able to beat the burner. But i will definitely not try to solve this puzzle or "train" against the burners and throw away hundreds of millions of isk until i am sure, that i can win.

If i could use t1-frigs for less than 10mil isk? Sure, it would be no problem to loose a couple of frigs once in a while, but so as it is now, i think, i will skip these missions on TQ.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#144 - 2014-08-24 07:57:15 UTC
Is this your idea of level design? Granted, I've only died in the Sansha mission so far, but there's only a randomly placed war station and a random large collidable. No rocks, no other structures, nothing that hints at least a hunch of effort, and that you could potentially use to your advantage.

This wonderfully continues the the trend of the Ghost sites and Besieged Covert Guristas Sites. /s

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#145 - 2014-08-24 08:02:05 UTC
The most useful hint for all new solo players, bring something with drones ... then you have a chance to save your ship if you mess up.

I'm my own NPC alt.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#146 - 2014-08-24 08:50:04 UTC
The Sansha Burner features Railguns on his hull. As a Amarr ship it should use Beam Lasers. or Scorch Pulses.

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Tragot Gomndor
Three Sword Inc
#147 - 2014-08-24 09:33:34 UTC
i have beaten the blood burner, finally, with a passive worm, that only costs like 170mil isk... and what was the reward??? 2mil and NOTHING... did you guys even set a loottable???

this is stupid, i am outta here

NONONONONONO TO CAPS IN HIGHSEC NO

Lugalzagezi666
#148 - 2014-08-24 10:14:59 UTC
Tragot Gomndor wrote:

That is pretty much right thing to do unless you plan to multibox these missions, but afaik there is a small chance of faction drop and mission rewards are dynamic based on completion times.

Anyway, further testing confirmed my previous feelings - it is static pve content, that gets boring right after you figure it out.
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#149 - 2014-08-24 11:36:48 UTC
Lugalzagezi666 wrote:
Tragot Gomndor wrote:

but afaik there is a small chance of faction drop .

I can confirm, I once had a faction module dropped.

The problems with those missions I see:
- a typical solo lvl4 mission runner is risk averse and will not have the skills to do them solo, so there is nothing to learn for them
- although they foster group play (like the Dagan mission), which is good and will work also for less skilled people, ... burying them in the lvl4 mission "profession" and standing requirements, will exclude the newbies.
- the shiny ship vs. reward is not much out of skew compared to the standard lvl4s ... but the likelihood of a loss is much higher, hence putting the risk/reward out of balance for solo play

I don't have a good proposal to fix this ... as I clearly see that the lvl4 thing is necessary to protect the mission from being farmed by multiboxers all the day.

I'm my own NPC alt.

Archetype 66
Perkone
Caldari State
#150 - 2014-08-24 11:46:21 UTC
Hello.

How to find the closest correct lvl4 agent from 6-CZ please ?
Archetype 66
Perkone
Caldari State
#151 - 2014-08-24 12:42:09 UTC
Ok, i just understood. So every lvl4 agent will propose the five kind of Burner mission ? Nice.Big smile
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#152 - 2014-08-24 16:06:50 UTC
Tipa Riot wrote:
Lugalzagezi666 wrote:
Tragot Gomndor wrote:

- a typical solo lvl4 mission runner is risk averse and will not have the skills to do them solo, so there is nothing to learn for them
- although they foster group play (like the Dagan mission), which is good and will work also for less skilled people, ... burying them in the lvl4 mission "profession" and standing requirements, will exclude the newbies.
- the shiny ship vs. reward is not much out of skew compared to the standard lvl4s ... but the likelihood of a loss is much higher, hence putting the risk/reward out of balance for solo play

I don't have a good proposal to fix this ... as I clearly see that the lvl4 thing is necessary to protect the mission from being farmed by multiboxers all the day.

Some will try them and fail. They've had a good laugh and know thereafter why they don't meddle their hands in PVP, and thus stick to what they can do best: PVE. Working as intended. Others will try them and get encouraged to try them with friends, thus group activity and social interaction (maybe even with strangers) is created. Working as intended. Other people, who for instance already have posted their mastering of the mission here, will run them solo on TQ and will have a good money for their mission time if they get lucky and receive these missions from several agents in high frequency. This requires for them to fly around and visit several L4 agents, thus getting them in space. This might also lead again to a concentration of mission runners in very L4 agent heavy areas, which in turn attracts gankers and other scum. Working as intended.

Personally, since these missions require a group and specifically fitted ships for these NPCs, will not run these missions. For one, I don't have frigs available and will not JF them in to my mission paradises, and secondly I don't want to waste time waiting for corp fellows to show up. So in the end, each their own. Even if people think they have to farm the hell out of these missions.

Archetype 66
Perkone
Caldari State
#153 - 2014-08-24 18:00:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Archetype 66
I just figured a T2/T1 fitted Daredevil to solo the Guristas Bruner after having destroyed a handfull of Hawk/Harpy/Jaguar against it. No links, no expansive module but T2 rigs, no implant.

Need to OH mwd to put a scram on it and an overloaded T1 harderner all the fight to works ^^

An Enyo should do the work very well with a bit of pimp help for speed to put a scram on it
Snopzet
Inglourious Squirrels
That Escalated Quickly.
#154 - 2014-08-24 19:01:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Snopzet
I just tried all five missions and as someone who has very few experience in solo frig pvp the only thing I learned from them is: have a friend in a Kitsune or dual-box, so I can "solo" them all in a Harpy Pirate. I tried the Blood Raider mission two times in a Harpy with different fits. But even with 300 dps I can't break the tank because of "PVE-fit"... if I try to get a web and scram on it, I can't survive long enough to kill the burner. To be honest, as soon as Hyperion goes online, I won't start flying lvl4 missions just for those. If I like to trash my frigs, I go to a factional warfare system and have some fun there.

Basically I like the idea to teach ppl how frig pvp works but this is just the wrong approach, since they are too hard for newbies. Giving mission runners some new variations is cool too, but many will wait for detailed guides on eve-survival and then it's just a plain stupid mission as any other.Those who try the new burner missions on their own will fail for sure and after losing two more or less expensive frigs, they will give up on them and never accept them again, unless they can find a good guide which makes the risk-reward-ratio acceptable.

So, ppl who have the skills and knowledge to fly the burner missions are experienced frig pvp pilots and guess what, I doubt they will ever touch a lvl4 mission Lol Even if CCP would add a new agent type, which gives out only burner missions, they are still not interesting for them, since they are too predictable.

If I couldn't dual-box I would probably skip most of the burner missions too, because I can fly T2 Caldari frigs only and I'm not willing to spend ISK for one or even two pirate faction frigs, just for these missions (leave aside the high risk of losing the ship). But this is just my personal view.

What about a test server within TQ? A "virtual reality" zone? No rewards, no risk. You can select a ship, fit it to your needs and choose a NPC opponent (like the burner NPCs) you wish to fight against. So you can train yourself or test fittings. This VR-zone could be then expanded for fleet tests. You can pick multiple different NPC opponents with custom or predefined fittings and a smart AI. So you can test fleet compositions or train your corp members. Something like an alliance tournament vs NPCs and without any risk (remember: you don't get any reward for that of course). It's a huge feature which is more like a "nice to have", but it would be better then the current burner missions :V

PS: I discovered a strange behavior of the Guristas Burner: once he burned away from my two frigs while he was jammed. But then he slowed down and after putting two webs on him, he stopped moving (0 m/s). This happened in two different missions. Are they so smart? They know when they are ****** up!? Twisted Well, only the Guristas Burner did it.
Nomistrav
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#155 - 2014-08-24 19:40:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Nomistrav
Just tried out the Serpentis burner (my preferred enemy) using:

Ishkur

Lows:
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer
Thermic Armor Hardener II
Kinetic Armor Hardener II
Damage Control II

Med:
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I

Highs:
3x 125mm Railgun II (Javelin S)

Rigs:
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Nanobot Accelerator I

Drones:
9x Warrior II

So, my general strategy here was to use the Ishkur's natural resistances against the railguns the Serpentis burner uses in tandem with a solid active tank. Javelin ammo in the railguns gave them a 10km range (probably could have used a bit more in retrospect) and a decent tracking speed bonus. Warrior drones would apply some explosive damage to hit the burner's assumed resistance hole in the armor.

Warped in, landed 3km away from the burner and immediately applied scrambler/web. He burns out of range like it didn't even matter (I'm not even convinced they affected him at all) and immediately starts orbiting at 11km, applies webs/scrams onto me well out of range of my own. I can't dictate range at this point but I figure it's alright as I can fall back on my own rails, drones, and active tank. Start applying damage, burner ignores the drones, I break his shields and get him into armor pretty quick. I'm doing small bursts of damage, bringing him down to 95/96% armor but he just reps right through it. Obviously, I don't have enough DPS to break his tank, so I focus on my own defense to see how well it works.

He's slugging away through my armor despite having extremely high resists and I'm having to repair the damage - which is difficult as I'm having to manage cap. I'm surviving until I have to reload the nanite repair paste in the repairer, at which point the long reload leads to my inevitable death.

That being said, I wanted to experiment more with this, but considering that my fit and all relative skills maxed couldn't even make do in -any- category (dictation of range, damage application, or survivability) I'm not going to even bother trying with these any further. Players are easier to kill and a hell of a lot more rewarding at that. The only good thing out of all this is I didn't waste ISK on Tranquility trying this.

EDIT: One thing I want to mention is that even with the difficulty presented, these things not having to manage cap is just insanely over-powered. I don't even want to know what it's like having to take on the Cruor considering that. As far as the ships used against these things, I'm kinda disappointed that 'Worm' keeps getting brought up as the dedicated counter for pretty much all of these. It doesn't really teach the player anything other than spec into the one ship to earn bacon. Should be challenging, but it shouldn't feel like a brick wall.

"As long as space endures,

as long as sentient beings exist,

until then, may I too remain

and dispel the miseries of the world."

~ Vremaja Idama

Clark Ostus
GOB Holdings
#156 - 2014-08-24 21:16:41 UTC
There is one more thing I would like to ask about these, since they are essentially commander frig
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#157 - 2014-08-24 22:01:52 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
We've reproduced the Guristas speedup when he switches targets. Still working on a solution.

Dangeresque Too wrote:

Also one question I had, the Blood rat, he nuets, are those nuets overpowered/oversized for what would be possible to fit on a frig (eh-hem *cough* sansha incursion frigs) or are they infact small sized nuets?

It has the drain over time amount of a Cruor using two small deadspace NOS and a talisman implant set. The rate of fire of its neuts/nos (we don't have a NOS effect for NPCs and the result is the same in this case) is actually significantly slower than it would be from our hypothetical Cruor, but that helps make it a bit easier to play around.

which is imo an insanely gimmicky fit designed to be good at frigate 1v1. And yet if the NPC were vulnerable to ewar like a player ship I could come up with an equally gimmicky fit to kill it. I mean if it cant use its nos, well the tank crumbles. if it wants to use a cap booster then it sacrifices one of the fairly important mids. and well, either way it probably won't be doing very much dps. dual faction web AB daredevil is one of the first ships to come to mind. but depending on the backend, well I wouldn't even try a dual web AB daredevil against an npc shiny cruor. I would probably easily kite it's nos and damage (at least from reported ranges), but I would never break its tank, where in PVP the thing wouldn't have any tank without the talisman nos going.

these are pretty much the first mods I thought to fit, and well I took a step down on a few for fitting reasons, and I skipped on the deadspace EANM due to cost. Could probably make a better version playing around with the rigs and implants, but well I think it shows the point fairly well.

image of fit with eos links: http://i.imgur.com/xeUAGI0.jpg
[Cruor, 1v1 lulz]
Corpii B-Type Small Armor Repairer
Corpii B-Type Small Armor Repairer
Damage Control II
Imperial Navy Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane

Dark Blood Warp Scrambler
Dark Blood Stasis Webifier
Gistii A-Type 1MN Microwarpdrive

Corpii A-Type Small Nosferatu
Corpii A-Type Small Nosferatu
Dual Light Pulse Laser II, Conflagration S
Dual Light Pulse Laser II, Conflagration S

Small Auxiliary Nano Pump II
Small Nanobot Accelerator II
Small Anti-Kinetic Pump I

Hobgoblin II x1

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#158 - 2014-08-24 22:45:47 UTC
Tipa Riot wrote:
Lugalzagezi666 wrote:
Tragot Gomndor wrote:

do you have data supporting the low skills of average mission runners? I mean I see a ton of high end battleships in mission hubs. or are we assuming these characters are extremely specialized and have no other training? And still I see very little risk in these missions, sure it is higher than the average lv4, but still should be very manageable.

Maybe it will exclude newbs from some content, like you said go meet someone with the standings. Also 5.0 standings are fairly easy to get.

lastly the likely hood of a loss is still dang low, baring disconnects, just need to figure out the proper setup and strategy. I doubt the risk/reward will go that far out of play. still need to see what the mission reward algorithm will say about it, but I would still expect a fairly decent pay off for very little time invested, plus that chance at a faction drop.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#159 - 2014-08-24 23:38:37 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
lastly the likely hood of a loss is still dang low, baring disconnects

I lost 15-20 pirate and assault frigates to the Guristas burner before I finally gave up on my "no implants" rule and got a snake set.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Archetype 66
Perkone
Caldari State
#160 - 2014-08-25 08:47:18 UTC
I'm still looking for the T1/T2 fit, no links, no implants to kill the Blood Raider bastard...(out of Worm).
I think Wolf is the way to go, but I didn't succeeded yet

Thx for the fun CCP :)