These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Size Matters: Introducing Burner Missions

First post First post First post
Author
Jaari Val'Dara
Grim Sleepers
#61 - 2014-08-14 16:52:31 UTC
The only thing I don't like is that those will be assigned randomly, they should be given out by special agents instead.
At last some interesting missions and to get to them I will have to drown in stupid old missions.
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#62 - 2014-08-14 16:56:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Tipa Riot
CCP Fozzie wrote:
These NPCs (like most NPCs in the game) will be using the sleeper AI. Their vulnerability to ewar will be similar to that of existing NPCs.

Will neuts be effective on them?

... and a big +1, this is a much appreciated step towards PvE with PvP fits.

I'm my own NPC alt.

Ravcharas
Infinite Point
Pandemic Horde
#63 - 2014-08-14 16:57:47 UTC
Tipa Riot wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
These NPCs (like most NPCs in the game) will be using the sleeper AI. Their vulnerability to ewar will be similar to that of existing NPCs.

Will neuts be effective on them?

Asked and answered. Post #32
CCP Fozzie
C C P
C C P Alliance
#64 - 2014-08-14 16:58:05 UTC
TrouserDeagle wrote:

also, sig tanking is actually speed tanking. or speed tanking is sig tanking. you cannot separate these things.

They're different when you shoot missiles at them.

Game Designer | Team Five-0

Twitter: @CCP_Fozzie
Twitch chat: ccp_fozzie

Janeway84
Insane's Asylum
#65 - 2014-08-14 17:03:30 UTC
Intresting idea for a mission Smile
and kind of getting new players to get a feeling for how pvp can be in the process Big smile
hydraSlav
Synergy Evolved
#66 - 2014-08-14 17:04:34 UTC  |  Edited by: hydraSlav
Never mind... answered in #32
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2014-08-14 17:04:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
Sounds good. I've said for a long time that some missions should have you facing off against a npc that is as strong as a capluleer.

Will these burner NPCs have multiple AI routines or will the specific ships employ the same tactics every time?

Edit: why not make them vulnerable to every type of e-war available?
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#68 - 2014-08-14 17:08:48 UTC
Since they use faction and deadspace mods, does that mean those will drop?
Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#69 - 2014-08-14 17:15:17 UTC
NEONOVUS wrote:
Since they use faction and deadspace mods, does that mean those will drop?

Dev Blog wrote:
The Burners also have a very small chance to drop valuable faction modules.
Sephira Galamore
Inner Beard Society
#70 - 2014-08-14 17:16:54 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
I definitely understand the desire of many people to be able to run these missions at will, but unfortunately these missions will simply be too good to make them available all the time. I really like the idea of doing something with long cooldowns like the epic arcs in a future iteration, thanks for that feedback.

If you do something with countdowns:
Don't make it 1 per x time, but rather something like 10 per 10*x time. So you can have small sessions for those, but can't run it 24/7.
Abobo Jackson
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#71 - 2014-08-14 17:19:41 UTC
What I would enthusiastically support:

- More variations in burner rats (more like 50 rather than 5).
- Special agents who only give this type of mission.

Otherwise, I have no interest in running the boring normal L4 missions just to have a small chance of drawing a burner mission from the pool. With more variations in the burner rat type, you'd also have to actually think carefully about what ship to bring, rather than "oh look, the dramiel burner again, let me get my Vengeance". It would also give people who only do frigate pvp an income stream apart from faction warfare plexing.
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#72 - 2014-08-14 17:20:29 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
Edit: why not make them vulnerable to every type of e-war available?

Because these are built on top of the current NPC engine. As they overhaul the PVE engine they'll be able to get rid of a lot of the quirks that currently affect NPC opponents... and POSes. Twisted

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Marsan
#73 - 2014-08-14 17:20:39 UTC
This is a great idea, but why start with level 4 missions and vets. It's the new players that need this sort of pvp style missions.

The tutorial mission needs include pvp and pvp like missions. Ideally these should include:

- Sending the newbie into a number of simulated gate camps resembling LS and NS.

- Sending the newbie into a mission where they have to fit a scram, and prevent the NPC from warping out.

- Sending the newbie into a mission where they need to fit a warp stab.

- Sending the newbie into a Faction Warfare area and make them run a FW site or 2.

- Sending a newbie to free a trapped Dread. The newbie has to go in and jam/web/drain/... the NPC(s) to free the dread.

- Give them a newbie Dread let them blap a bunch of structures, and battleships then die in a blaze of glory.

- Give the newbie a newbie battlecruiser, battleship, or bomber for a taste of the end game, and let them keep it at the end of their mission.

(Note that newbie dreads can’t use jump drives nor can they fit through a Wormhole. So if they take the ship and not do the mission they have a newbie Dread stuck in a newbie system.)

This gives the newbie a taste of PVP, and Faction Warfare. Faction Warfare is IMNSHO the best intro into pvp, and LS/NS/WH. You can easily make enough isk to support a PVP habit.

The tutorial needs to teach concepts like scrams, bubbles, and gate camps. They need to learn to learn more than just mining and missions. They need to lose ships, and have their 1st LS experience not be losing their hard earned mission running ship to a gate camp.

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

stoicfaux
#74 - 2014-08-14 17:24:19 UTC
Devblogs like this are why I no longer wear pants when reading devblogs.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Marsan
#75 - 2014-08-14 17:25:53 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:

I definitely understand the desire of many people to be able to run these missions at will, but unfortunately these missions will simply be too good to make them available all the time. I really like the idea of doing something with long cooldowns like the epic arcs in a future iteration, thanks for that feedback.

I think you are missing the point. We don't want to run them for the better rewards. We want to run them because we can't take running another lvl 4 mission. Of course give us a week or 2 and we'll be bored out of our skullswith the 5 variations.

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

Suzuka A1
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#76 - 2014-08-14 17:28:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Suzuka A1
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Neuting these NPCs won't have any effect, unfortunately.

Is this something CCP wishes to change at some point? Or is it implemented this way so the nodes don't need to do extra calculations?

CCP Fozzie wrote:
The Burners also have a very small chance to drop valuable faction modules.

Will the drop rates be the same for high, low, and null? Will the (average) quality/rarity/value of the drop be the same for high, low, and null?

CCP Fozzie wrote:
There will be no standings penalty for turning down or failing these missions.

I can't help but feel that you are further diminishing the value of EVE's standings system (first removing the high sec POS requirements and now this).

Thanks.

Never forget the battle of Z9PP-H  What actually happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgcUwTmHY74 Battle Report: http://www.kugutsumen.com/showthread.php?42836-They-Might-Be-Giants-The-Southwest&p=497626&viewfull=1#post497626

Carniflex
StarHunt
Mordus Angels
#77 - 2014-08-14 17:28:19 UTC

These sound interesting. Even interesting enough to perhaps minimize my 30 chat tabs and undock for poking at them.

Deadspace / officer fitted pirate frig with links in system you say? With a pirate high grade set in his head? That can be quite a tough fight and probably not something that a fresh player is able to take on even in T2 frigate. Hell it will probably give a well seasoned frigate pilot good run for his money. Intriguing to say at very least. Will they pod me if I pop and are slow at getting out? Twisted Ofcource if one cant take it solo he is free to team up to crack that nut. Plus considering that there is no penalties to declining or failing this mission those who cant take these can just pretend they do not exist.

Players have the advantage ofc in picking the right ship, popping a pill or two and overheating when it matters.

Just make sure you very clearly state that they incur no penalties for failing/declining as new players sometimes do not read forums.

Putting them in the regular Lev 4 pool was quite a clever twist which I did not expect. But I must say that it indeed solves the problem of farmability pretty nice. One can still dial for these to some extent if he has very many alts with standings and/or high number of agents in close proximity but it is still a lot less reliable way than just sitting on one agent and asking for these over and over again.

If they are in the regular mission pool then yeah, null sec pirate agents will be handing these out as well. In that regard tilting the rewards more towards LP side than isk side is excellent, as LP payouts scale with different sec status a lot more significantly than isk side of the reward for normal missions.

It seems I do have after-all something to look forward in the upcoming patch. Who knows perhaps these missions will make these guys who just level up their Raven in hi sec also stay a little longer as they have something more fun and challenging to pursue than just sitting there in their marauder and deleting 200 red crosses per hour.

Here, sanity... niiiice sanity, come to daddy... okay, that's a good sanity... THWONK! GOT the bastard.

Lady Rift
His Majesty's Privateers
#78 - 2014-08-14 17:32:15 UTC
Marsan wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:

I think you are missing the point. We don't want to run them for the better rewards. We want to run them because we can't take running another lvl 4 mission. Of course give us a week or 2 and we'll be bored out of our skullswith the 5 variations.

any one who runs a mission is doing it for the rewards. There is no other reason to even think of doing missions.
Carniflex
StarHunt
Mordus Angels
#79 - 2014-08-14 17:36:04 UTC
Abobo Jackson wrote:
What I would enthusiastically support:

- More variations in burner rats (more like 50 rather than 5).
- Special agents who only give this type of mission.

Otherwise, I have no interest in running the boring normal L4 missions just to have a small chance of drawing a burner mission from the pool. With more variations in the burner rat type, you'd also have to actually think carefully about what ship to bring, rather than "oh look, the dramiel burner again, let me get my Vengeance". It would also give people who only do frigate pvp an income stream apart from faction warfare plexing.

Actually, considering you are in minmatar FW you have probably high enough standings to minmatar to have access to all of their L4 agents. Disregarding the use of alts you can pretty reliably dial for those missions as the L4 mission pool per specific agent is actually relatively limited. As a rough ballpark every L4 agent pulls their missions from a pool of roughly ~ 15 unique missions (counting chains as "one mission"), you will have about 2 or 3 out of 5 new burner missions in your pool. So you should have approx 15..20% probability of getting one.

Frigates are fast you know. So it's in a essence like collecting your FW missions, it's just that you are running in your combat ship between the agents and you get 2 tries at each agent. Ask for L4 missions, if its not burner decline, ask again, if it's still not burner you are on 4h timer, move on (or decline again while standings take it), etc. IT really helps if you fish out a good location with a lot of L4 security agents in close proximity of each other.

Here, sanity... niiiice sanity, come to daddy... okay, that's a good sanity... THWONK! GOT the bastard.

TrouserDeagle
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#80 - 2014-08-14 17:36:54 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
TrouserDeagle wrote:

also, sig tanking is actually speed tanking. or speed tanking is sig tanking. you cannot separate these things.

They're different when you shoot missiles at them.

if you're sitting perfectly still, yes.