These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Hyperion] Heavy Assault Cruiser tweaks

First post First post First post
Author
Janice en Marland
Cross Saber Holdings
#941 - 2014-08-03 23:28:07 UTC
afkalt wrote:
"Good"? Try preposterously overpowered with stats, fittings and application other ships in the class could only DREAM of.

When the counter to X, is MORE X on the other side, you have a problem. And that's where ishtars are.

Can they die? Sure.
Do they bring far more to the table than any other HAC and do it in the same damned fit no matter the comparision HAC? Incontrovertibly.

The closest match is a cerberus, which cannot get near what an ishtar can do, unless it could magically swap from RLML, to HAMS to HML without a depot or docking. Plus fitting neuts to handle tackle. And with extra lows so nanos are viable whilst still keeping 3 damage mods.

THAT's the kind of nonsense going on here.

A Cerberus/Eagle can hit from farther away, Muninn/ Vagabond is faster, Zealot/Sacrilege out tank it.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#942 - 2014-08-03 23:32:58 UTC
And yet ishtar fleets will still dunk all of those ships in fleet.

Do you really think everyone uses them because they're not the best?

There's a simple reason everyone uses them so prolifically. It's 2014 drake blobs on steroids.
Janice en Marland
Cross Saber Holdings
#943 - 2014-08-03 23:38:46 UTC
afkalt wrote:

There's a simple reason everyone uses them so prolifically. It's 2014 drake blobs on steroids.

Maybe it's because that is the proposed doctrines by larger alliances.
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#944 - 2014-08-03 23:38:47 UTC
Janice en Marland wrote:
afkalt wrote:
"Good"? Try preposterously overpowered with stats, fittings and application other ships in the class could only DREAM of.

When the counter to X, is MORE X on the other side, you have a problem. And that's where ishtars are.

Can they die? Sure.
Do they bring far more to the table than any other HAC and do it in the same damned fit no matter the comparision HAC? Incontrovertibly.

The closest match is a cerberus, which cannot get near what an ishtar can do, unless it could magically swap from RLML, to HAMS to HML without a depot or docking. Plus fitting neuts to handle tackle. And with extra lows so nanos are viable whilst still keeping 3 damage mods.

A Cerberus/Eagle can hit from farther away, Muninn/ Vagabond is faster, Zealot/Sacrilege out tank it.

Sure, when you over simplify things like that they look great. But why aren't Cerberus fleets being used to counter ishtars? Soon as you turn off the MWD heavies barely scratch and if you go for hams the Ishtar will just run circles around your shorter range. How about zealots? They've got very nice range with the hull bonus and beams, close to if not better than sentries. However you won't get anywhere near as much damage in matter how you fit it. So munnins should be the counter right? Nope. Artillery is great for alpha fleets but they are too fragile and their range is shorter unless you sacrifice alpha damage, which means you need more munnins. Don't even look at the eagle or Deimos. Neither can effectively get the same dps at the same range or tank enough (while keeping proper speed) to get in close enough to use higher dps ammo/guns (which is still a huge step behind sentries) to do anything useful.
Sard Caid
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#945 - 2014-08-03 23:39:43 UTC
Regarding the Tempest:

I do not feel that changing the Tempest from a 8/5/6 to a 8/4/7 will improve its current balance situation in the game. The issue with the Tempest lies in its role bonus, rather than slot layout. A change to the slot layout in this fashion will put a nail in the coffin for shield tanks and midslot fun such as MWD/MJD/tackle/cap booster. Also, with RR armor BS heavily disfavored in the metagame, a 8/4/7 Tempest will be a less versatile Typhoon, with lesser damage projection.

Minmatar already has a very capable armor tanked battleship in the Typhoon. Please look to a different solution to the Tempest's viability, such as a 10% damage + 5% falloff bonus.
Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#946 - 2014-08-03 23:42:47 UTC
Sard Caid wrote:
Regarding the Tempest:

I do not feel that changing the Tempest from a 8/5/6 to a 8/4/7 will improve its current balance situation in the game. The issue with the Tempest lies in its role bonus, rather than slot layout. A change to the slot layout in this fashion will put a nail in the coffin for shield tanks and midslot fun such as MWD/MJD/tackle/cap booster. Also, with RR armor BS heavily disfavored in the metagame, a 8/4/7 Tempest will be a less versatile Typhoon, with lesser damage projection.

Minmatar already has a very capable armor tanked battleship in the Typhoon. Please look to a different solution to the Tempest's viability, such as a 10% damage + 5% falloff bonus.

interesting although perhaps a 7.5% ROF bonus would be better .. less alpha from OP Artie fits ... so a mini mach basically ...
would certainly need more mobility though..

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Janice en Marland
Cross Saber Holdings
#947 - 2014-08-03 23:45:02 UTC
Rowells wrote:
Janice en Marland wrote:
afkalt wrote:

Can they die? Sure.

Sure, when you over simplify things like that they look great. But why aren't Cerberus fleets being used to counter ishtars? Soon as you turn off the MWD heavies barely scratch and if you go for hams the Ishtar will just run circles around your shorter range. How about zealots? They've got very nice range with the hull bonus and beams, close to if not better than sentries. However you won't get anywhere near as much damage in matter how you fit it. So munnins should be the counter right? Nope. Artillery is great for alpha fleets but they are too fragile and their range is shorter unless you sacrifice alpha damage, which means you need more munnins. Don't even look at the eagle or Deimos. Neither can effectively get the same dps at the same range or tank enough (while keeping proper speed) to get in close enough to use higher dps ammo/guns (which is still a huge step behind sentries) to do anything useful.

They are though. However, an Eagle works better.
The reason I mentioned the different advantages is because some people are trying to use the Ishtars advantages as a gauge to determine if it is OP. That's stacking the deck.
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#948 - 2014-08-04 00:03:51 UTC
Janice en Marland wrote:
Rowells wrote:
Janice en Marland wrote:
afkalt wrote:

Can they die? Sure.

They are though. However, an Eagle works better.
The reason I mentioned the different advantages is because some people are trying to use the Ishtars advantages as a gauge to determine if it is OP. That's stacking the deck.

The eagle does what better? Tank maybe? And I geuss having most of the face cards could be considered stacking the deck.
Janice en Marland
Cross Saber Holdings
#949 - 2014-08-04 00:10:57 UTC
The Eagle can counter an Ishtar better.
Ishtar isn't the fastest, capable of the most tank, nor the farthest range.
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#950 - 2014-08-04 01:10:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Rowells
Janice en Marland wrote:

So why does the Ishtar do almost twice as much damage at similar ranges? Wardens get about 100km optimal with 45km falloff and eagle gets 135km optimal with 15km falloff. In fact at pretty much every range the Ishtar gets better damage and tracking at pretty much every range pattern. Why is a ship specialized and bonuses for long range dps so easily outclasses in every category? This is what's unbalanced. This is why the other HACs see less use. Why use anything else? The Ishtar can most likely do it better. And you may say "destructible weapon system" but when you actually take a look at how easy it is to negate this, even Rise understood it wasn't as powerful an argument. Ever tried killing 700+ sentries with a 10-30km spread that will just be replaced 2 more times? And I really doubt having 5m/s really has any major arguing points when claiming that being that much faster compensates for the much larger discrepancies between the two.
Koshie Naranek
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#951 - 2014-08-04 02:05:43 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
Impressively scattered discussion so far.

Tempest - like watching this discussion, happy to see that a significant chunk of people seem to prefer it the way it is now.

Keep it comin

Really? You have access to the internal numbers. Do people actually fly tempests? For anything? Sure for cap killing use neuts but I would think geddons do that better now.

Options:

8/5/6: Current. And currently useless.
8/4/7: I don't know. At first prefer it to the above. But now you have to armor tank.
7/5/7: I'd rather have this than the current setup.
7/4/8: Now this is how you armor tank.

7/6/6: This seems natural. Actually use a shield tank.

As for the ishtar just back off on the bonuses a bit. Which seem you are aiming for. See how that goes.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#952 - 2014-08-04 03:36:24 UTC
Janice en Marland wrote:
afkalt wrote:

The alliances use Ishtar doctrines because the ship is overpowered, and they have some of the best theorycrafters in the game designing their fleet compositions. Those people learn to recognise an OP ship.

I love flying the Ishtar in everything from solo PVP to ratting in hostile space. That does not stop me realising the ship is hugely overpowered at the moment. (As is its brother the Gila, but that doesn't have the fleet applications the Ishtar has, so the brokenness there is harder to notice).

I still think the best way to declaw the Ishtar for now is to remove all bonuses to damage application from sentry drones. Let it have the best heavy drone damage application of any ship.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Faint Pulse
Au Palais
#953 - 2014-08-04 05:32:31 UTC
Adrie Atticus wrote:
You need to be within 5000m of a sentry drone to issue commands to it.

PvE: not affected
PvP: affected
Ishtar: bombed

^
Janice en Marland
Cross Saber Holdings
#954 - 2014-08-04 05:58:37 UTC
Rowells wrote:
Janice en Marland wrote:

So why does the Ishtar do almost twice as much damage at similar ranges? Wardens get about 100km optimal with 45km falloff and eagle gets 135km optimal with 15km falloff. In fact at pretty much every range the Ishtar gets better damage and tracking at pretty much every range pattern. Why is a ship specialized and bonuses for long range dps so easily outclasses in every category? This is what's unbalanced. This is why the other HACs see less use. Why use anything else? The Ishtar can most likely do it better. And you may say "destructible weapon system" but when you actually take a look at how easy it is to negate this, even Rise understood it wasn't as powerful an argument. Ever tried killing 700+ sentries with a 10-30km spread that will just be replaced 2 more times? And I really doubt having 5m/s really has any major arguing points when claiming that being that much faster compensates for the much larger discrepancies between the two.

It is not only about DPS. The Eagle has a much more formidable tank while being able to apply damage at a much further range.
Janice en Marland
Cross Saber Holdings
#955 - 2014-08-04 06:03:38 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
Janice en Marland wrote:
afkalt wrote:

The alliances use Ishtar doctrines because the ship is overpowered, and they have some of the best theorycrafters in the game designing their fleet compositions. Those people learn to recognise an OP ship.

I love flying the Ishtar in everything from solo PVP to ratting in hostile space. That does not stop me realising the ship is hugely overpowered at the moment. (As is its brother the Gila, but that doesn't have the fleet applications the Ishtar has, so the brokenness there is harder to notice).

I still think the best way to declaw the Ishtar for now is to remove all bonuses to damage application from sentry drones. Let it have the best heavy drone damage application of any ship.

The alliances use numerous other HAC doctrines. Does this make all HACs OP? Not necessarily.
Khan Wrenth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#956 - 2014-08-04 06:04:39 UTC
I still stand by my previous post from a while ago on how to balance the Ishtar - because drones are the problem not the Ishtar itself. However, someone countered with the fact that Carriers are immune to EWAR, which is just freaking silly. Plus my solution, while it would balance out all drones in a more permanent way rather than this "quick band-aid and hope the problem goes away" approach, requires a lot of work. So, now I'll propose a quicker, easier solution to all this that can be done entirely within the time of the Hyperion release.

Someone else put forth a proposal that would work quite well. Cut the tracking of sentry drones by half, or even down to 1/3 of their current form. I'd even be okay with upping the range of the sentries by a bit to compensate.

But this, in itself, isn't enough. Because the devs hiding behind "oh but it's a destructible weapon system!" doesn't mean much because it's neigh impossible to remove sentry drones from the field in any meaningful fashion. You know how riot police use water cannons? Saying sentry drones are destructible therefore "deal with them", is like saying to someone "take an umbrella to your next protest, that'll keep those water cannons at bay".

So, we have to make the concept of destroyable sentries meaningful. And I think this will have a three-part solution. 1: it would help to balance out Ishtars. 2: It would alleviate the problem with Carriers carrying sentries until CCP wises up and removes that option. 3: We're going to make the Eagle useful by giving it a Niche.

For the record, Eagle still needs at least a 15m^3 drone bay, but that aside...

Chop the hull, armor, and shield points of sentries down where a medium rail turret can one-shot it.

Eagle currently has 5 turret slots and the range to use them against sentries. Most boats can only drop 5 at a time. I sense a balance in the force...

Sentries, with a lot less tracking, a bit more range, and almost no HP, MUST be used as long-range sniping platforms. Eagles become a part of fleets to reach out and smack sentry guns at range because no other medium platform will have the optimal range, mobility, and tank to close in on them quick enough to get 'em before popping. And this new nerf would provide the necessary balance to those carrier fleets. You can keep dropping those sentries man, but there's 200 of your carriers and 300 Eagles on this side, and we can wipe out all of your DPS before you can do anything meaningful with those sentries. Or, you know, you can deploy fighters.

Until then, calling out "destructible weapons is totally a downside!" is rather meaningless (and an embarrassment to the one saying it) since each sentry gun has a lot of hit points and the time you waste attacking one, all of them are hitting you. The only real way to take them out, that I've heard mentioned so far, is Stealth Bomber runs, which only work in null (so low-sec Ishtars are unaffected), and are way too difficult to organize and pull off, compared to the incredible ease of organizing a roving gang of sentry Ishtars.

The upside is that sentry drones are still quite usable, even in that form. PvE is perfectly fine, even buffed a bit if you go ahead and up the optimal like I suggested. And if you're circling your sentries, you can scoop them up when they come under attack, like you should be doing anyway. PvP with sentries becomes trickier obviously, but still doable once you take out the enemy support. You know, just like how battles are supposed to go.

Yes, I know I'm about to be flamed to hell and back for saying all this, but with the sentries having all of the insane advantages that they do, they have to have at least one major downside and they don't currently have that. So this would make a good fix until drones are balanced as weapon systems properly. When drones take up CPU and PG, take capacitor to use, and are effected by EWAR on the host ship, we can have another discussion about giving them their hitpoints back.
Janice en Marland
Cross Saber Holdings
#957 - 2014-08-04 06:12:31 UTC
Khan Wrenth wrote:
I still stand by my previous post from a while ago on how to balance the Ishtar - because drones are the problem not the Ishtar itself. However, someone countered with the fact that Carriers are immune to EWAR, which is just freaking silly. Plus my solution, while it would balance out all drones in a more permanent way rather than this "quick band-aid and hope the problem goes away" approach, requires a lot of work. So, now I'll propose a quicker, easier solution to all this that can be done entirely within the time of the Hyperion release.

Someone else put forth a proposal that would work quite well. Cut the tracking of sentry drones by half, or even down to 1/3 of their current form. I'd even be okay with upping the range of the sentries by a bit to compensate.

But this, in itself, isn't enough. Because the devs hiding behind "oh but it's a destructible weapon system!" doesn't mean much because it's neigh impossible to remove sentry drones from the field in any meaningful fashion. You know how riot police use water cannons? Saying sentry drones are destructible therefore "deal with them", is like saying to someone "take an umbrella to your next protest, that'll keep those water cannons at bay".

So, we have to make the concept of destroyable sentries meaningful. And I think this will have a three-part solution. 1: it would help to balance out Ishtars. 2: It would alleviate the problem with Carriers carrying sentries until CCP wises up and removes that option. 3: We're going to make the Eagle useful by giving it a Niche.

For the record, Eagle still needs at least a 15m^3 drone bay, but that aside...

Chop the hull, armor, and shield points of sentries down where a medium rail turret can one-shot it.

Eagle currently has 5 turret slots and the range to use them against sentries. Most boats can only drop 5 at a time. I sense a balance in the force...

Sentries, with a lot less tracking, a bit more range, and almost no HP, MUST be used as long-range sniping platforms. Eagles become a part of fleets to reach out and smack sentry guns at range because no other medium platform will have the optimal range, mobility, and tank to close in on them quick enough to get 'em before popping. And this new nerf would provide the necessary balance to those carrier fleets. You can keep dropping those sentries man, but there's 200 of your carriers and 300 Eagles on this side, and we can wipe out all of your DPS before you can do anything meaningful with those sentries. Or, you know, you can deploy fighters.

Until then, calling out "destructible weapons is totally a downside!" is rather meaningless (and an embarrassment to the one saying it) since each sentry gun has a lot of hit points and the time you waste attacking one, all of them are hitting you. The only real way to take them out, that I've heard mentioned so far, is Stealth Bomber runs, which only work in null (so low-sec Ishtars are unaffected), and are way too difficult to organize and pull off, compared to the incredible ease of organizing a roving gang of sentry Ishtars.

The upside is that sentry drones are still quite usable, even in that form. PvE is perfectly fine, even buffed a bit if you go ahead and up the optimal like I suggested. And if you're circling your sentries, you can scoop them up when they come under attack, like you should be doing anyway. PvP with sentries becomes trickier obviously, but still doable once you take out the enemy support. You know, just like how battles are supposed to go.

Yes, I know I'm about to be flamed to hell and back for saying all this, but with the sentries having all of the insane advantages that they do, they have to have at least one major downside and they don't currently have that. So this would make a good fix until drones are balanced as weapon systems properly. When drones take up CPU and PG, take capacitor to use, and are effected by EWAR on the host ship, we can have another discussion about giving them their hitpoints back.

I like the Eagle idea. Drones would help a lot. On the Ishtar subject, I believe the nerf that is being proposed will already bring down the use of Ishtars. CCP also just did a remake on the drones so I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#958 - 2014-08-04 06:41:51 UTC
Phaade wrote:

You need to lay off the drugs. And I am entirely calm.

Your numbers are wrong, and you still haven't presented an argument for this ship being reasonable. I'd love to see how many ishtars are flown versus other HACs. Then knock off the HACs people fly simply because they like them. It's probably something like 70 percent or so ishtar.

Remember the old drake and how often it was flown relative to other BCs? Yeah that's the current ishtar.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to link kill mails. But open dotlan and go to Vehan or Y9G-, there are some dead Ishtars, who died against other ship types. Blink

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Odithia
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#959 - 2014-08-04 07:45:44 UTC
Janice en Marland wrote:

It is not only about DPS. The Eagle has a much more formidable tank while being able to apply damage at a much further range.

At the range where the Eagle may be able to outdamage the Ishtar, it does such pathetic damage that it is completely useless anyway.
By the way the Ishtar does almost twice as much dps than the eagle at 150km.

The only used "long range" medium railgun ship is the Tengu and that's because it is faster and has twice as much EHP than the Eagle.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#960 - 2014-08-04 07:51:39 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
Remember things can still be overpowered whilst not immortal.

And the point about the other HACs is whilst they edge (and it is edge) the ishtar in one or two areas each, the ishtars package is still simply better. i.e. the minor disadvantage in a select area is still more than outweighed by what the ishtar overall brings to the field.

You are welcome to kid yourself further that it's still not an overpowered monster. I'll still fly them in fleets because there's little point in using anything else when it's not a kitchen sink.