These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Beer Online

First post First post
Author
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#121 - 2014-04-28 11:54:13 UTC
I'll take a Chimay Blue, but gin is my true love.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#122 - 2014-04-28 12:08:18 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:

Bought a double magnum of Chimay Blue at our preferred local beer bar a few weeks ago. Never again...

CCP Goliath | QA Director | EVE Illuminati | @CCP_Goliath

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#123 - 2014-04-28 12:17:32 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
Bought a double magnum of Chimay Blue at our preferred local beer bar a few weeks ago. Never again...

Bad?

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

CCP Sledgehammer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#124 - 2014-04-28 12:18:23 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:

Bad?

Excellent! But it was a terrible idea.

Graphical QA Analyst | EVE Quality Assurance | Team TriLambda

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#125 - 2014-04-28 22:58:01 UTC
CCP Lebowski wrote:
This thread is making me thirsty! Good job that Sledgehammer, Goliath and myself are running the Liver Incursion this year at Fanfest!

I heartily recommend anyone who is attending Fanfest to join us, it should be an absolute mess (In the best way possible)

Up to now I would have never been able to fit an understanding to the idea of naming a beer "Incursion".

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Zzzzleepyhead
Honestly We didnt know
#126 - 2014-04-29 18:25:21 UTC
Ooooh, favorite beer. So many:
For drinking lots: Pistonhead (best there ever was were the 2011 summer edition)
A couple: Arrogant Bastard from Stone Brewing Co.

And in no particular order:
Brooklyn lager/Pale Ale
Kilkenny
Most from Brew Dog
My own special brews, mainly Pale Ale and Amber Ale. Nom nom
Ginger Ale Mead

Right now I'm enjoying an Oppigårds' Single Hop Ale. Very good. Using only Celeia hops.

Less QQ, more pew pew.

and may the longcat, decending with the holy light, cleanse the world with fire and lazor beams.

Mikhem
Taxisk Unlimited
#127 - 2014-05-02 15:14:28 UTC
Here is important link for friends of beer. I have no experience of this machine but it looks interesting.
http://www.beermachine.com/

Mikhem

Link library to EVE music songs.

Herzog Wolfhammer
#128 - 2014-05-19 17:15:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Herzog Wolfhammer
Ok the Espresso Stout was a raging hit. Usually I take a walk with a pint when I run out of bottles and by the end of that pint I was staggering. Not wise to drink that one on an empty stomach.

The next batch - going to put the yeast in, in a few hours:

Quote:

Smoked Scotch Ale

By itself, Scotch Ale has a wonderful reputation for being malty sweet tamed with a warm alcohol note. Adding a little smoked malt compliments the sweetness like a fine Single Malt Scotch. Barley malt grows well in Scotland but hops were almost unknown, so this style features the maltiness and downplays bitterness.

7 lbs Light Malt Extract
1 lb Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Wheat Dry Malt Extract
1/2 lb Munich Malt
1/2 lb Crystal Malt 40L
1/4 lb Belgian Caramunich Malt
1/4 lb Peated (smoked) Malt
1 oz Northern Brewer Hops 8 HBUs (Boiling)60 mins
1/2 oz Kent Golding Hops (Flavor) 15 mins
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
1 tsp Amylase Enzyme

For Bottling:

1 1/4 cup Dry Malt Extract Or 3/4 cup Corn sugar

Add cracked Munich, Crystal, Caramunich, and Peated Malts to 2 gals of cold water and bring to boil. When the boiling starts, remove the grain. Add the Light Malt Extract, Dry Light Malt Extract, and Wheat Dry Malt Extract then bring to a boil again. Add 1 oz of Northern Brewer Hops and continue to boil for 45 minutes. Add 1/2 oz of Kent Golding Hops and continue to boil for 15 minutes. Sparge the hops with cold water into the fermenter. Add the wort to the fermenter with cold water to make 5 gals. Add yeast and Amylase Enzyme when the temp reaches 70º. Ferment at 65º for 7 days or until fermentation slows. Rack to a secondary fermenter. Let it age 2 weeks in secondary then bottle or keg.

For bottling, use 1 1/4 cup of dry malt extract boiled with 2 cups of water added in the bottling bucket.

This one had an odd smell while boiling it - made me check to make sure nothing was burning. This is going to be my first "not black as the grave" brew.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#129 - 2014-05-19 17:20:53 UTC
I had an Old Rasputin's this weekend. It was quite tasty and a bit sinister..

Herzog Wolfhammer
#130 - 2014-05-19 18:27:44 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
I had an Old Rasputin's this weekend. It was quite tasty and a bit sinister..

The local market has some of that - been on the fence about giving it a try. It looks like the Burning Czar Imperial Stout from a popular home brewing book (and one of the stouts I can't age long enough because everybody hogs it)

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

ISD Supogo
ISD BH
ISD Alliance
#131 - 2014-05-19 18:33:06 UTC
Guinness Draught. I don't care if it tastes "bad enough to kill a maggot" to quote my best friend, I love it!

ISD BH Supogo

Bughunter

Equipment Certification and Anomaly Investigations Division (ECAID)

Interstellar Services Department

Herzog Wolfhammer
#132 - 2014-05-20 18:48:34 UTC
We have fermentation - nothing like watching several billion life forms working hard to bring you a good time.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Askan Sprock
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#133 - 2014-05-22 11:29:02 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:

What Gins tickle your fancy Sibyl?

For myself:

Gin Wise:
Big fan of London No3 with lime
Hendricks with cucumber
Bobby's with dry tonic
And of course a simple classic Tanqueray (at 47%)
All mixed with tonic: Fevertree, Fentimans, Indi & Co.

Beer wise:
Brew Dog Punk IPA
Kaapse Brouwers Carrie IPA
German beer in all it's wonderful flavours
Asahi (love the way it's crisp)
And when you're REALLY REALLY thirsty, after a match or what have you in the sun: nothing beats a watery, mass market, ice cold, standard brew.
Honestly though, any halfway decent IPA will make me happy. Love myself the hoppy bitterness.

Whisky wise:
Lagavullin (16yo and the 12yo special release at cask strength) perfect balance between peat and wood
Glenfarclas (21yo) wonderful, smooth, subtle
Clynelish (14yo) hearty and salty coastal malt, really worth trying
The Yamazaki malt (12yo) Japanese whisky is a stunner. Really high quality. Some Japanese whiskies are floral and wonderfully light.
Mikhem
Taxisk Unlimited
#134 - 2014-06-01 20:08:37 UTC
Here is beer video: I need beer. Guaranteed laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOu_On_6vMY

Mikhem

Link library to EVE music songs.

Herzog Wolfhammer
#135 - 2014-06-21 02:56:23 UTC
OK here's your redneck beer brewing tip of the week:

When you make a batch of beer you have time, money, and ego invested in it. Therefore, if it's a crap batch, you'll drink the whole darned thing alone, get plastered nightly, and forget why you were drinking alone.

So the key is, let your friends try it first.

If none of them die, or barf all over your apartment, it's good.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#136 - 2014-06-21 05:54:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Sibyyl
Askan Sprock wrote:
Sibyyl wrote:

What Gins tickle your fancy Sibyl?

For myself:

Gin Wise:
Big fan of London No3 with lime
Hendricks with cucumber
Bobby's with dry tonic
And of course a simple classic Tanqueray (at 47%)
All mixed with tonic: Fevertree, Fentimans, Indi & Co.

I love to have a Tanq & Tonic once in a while, but a Tanqueray martini is not something I'd enjoy (with all my heart).. it's sure been pushed pretty hard as the martini ingredient de jour but I'm partial to Boodles, or Beefeater, or New Am. Bombay Sapphire if I have a DD. My martini really just needs to taste like 87 octane rating gasoline to be perfect..

Quote:

Beer wise:
Asahi (love the way it's crisp)

Have you tried Asahi Super Dry? It's really quite wonderful.. I remember this waiter convinced me to try it at this "Osaka Pizza" place and it was the best thing to go with the piping hot, back of your throat spicy food that night.

Catalytic morphisis
Deep Space Coalition
Fraternity.
#137 - 2014-06-21 09:53:28 UTC
nothing like pewing in new eden with a pint of Black Sheep on the go

Actual Link free and scout free solo PvP'er

CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#138 - 2014-06-21 10:09:25 UTC
Exciting moment for me yesterday! After months of attending others people's brew days, I finally got to have one of my own!!! Decided on a wheat since I love them so much, and more specifically, as close to a Blue Moon clone as I could get. Grain bill was very simple, just 2.5kg of pale malt, 2kg of wheat and 500g of Cara-Pils. Super light on the hops, 15g of Cascade for 45 mins and 15g for 10 mins, along with some orange peel and pith, and some cracked coriander seeds, for 5 mins. Yeast would ideally have been WLP400 but in the absence of that we used T-58 dry yeast. Since it was 1 month past its best, Sledgehammer decided we should make a starter with it. The thing was a monster, making bids to escape its glass prison every 20 mins or so, and smelled wonderfully light.

Waking up this morning, going to check on it, and finding it bubbling away like a champ is definitely one of the more exciting moments of recent memory! Big smile

Anathema Device
State War Academy
Caldari State
#139 - 2014-06-21 21:51:50 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
... along with some orange peel and pith, and some cracked coriander seeds ...

This is very close to what I do with my wheat beer. I use a microplane zester which gives you orange peel without the pith. Absolutely no idea how the pith modifies the taste.
CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#140 - 2014-06-22 23:06:00 UTC
Anathema Device wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
... along with some orange peel and pith, and some cracked coriander seeds ...

This is very close to what I do with my wheat beer. I use a microplane zester which gives you orange peel without the pith. Absolutely no idea how the pith modifies the taste.

It confers citric bitterness, which should complement the peppery tone of the yeast nicely, as well as balance out the overall sweetness of this particular beer.