These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Beer Online

First post First post
Author
vynok
Sub Par.
#81 - 2014-02-04 20:29:21 UTC
Exitosus Tentationem wrote:
vynok wrote:
Love this thread, since i own a home brew supply shop in alaska and am an avid homebrewer and drinker (in fact weekend before last I was invited to judge my first homebrew competition) .
Where? It's entirely possible you knew my sister - A veterinarian in Wasilla.


doubtful I am down on the kenai peninsula so a bit of a ways from wasilla.
Linament
Perkone
Caldari State
#82 - 2014-02-04 21:28:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Linament
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:
Linament wrote:
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:
Finally got round to my first brew in Iceland, something simple to get back into the way of things. Here's the details: Saturday 18th Brewday: Pan-Pacific Pale (name = WIP)

Hour long mash: Weyermann Pale Ale Malt, EBC 6.5 = 3.5kg
Wheat Malt, EBC 3-5 = 200g
CaraPils, EBC 3-5 = 500g
CaraRed, EBC 40-50 = 200g

Mash with 12l @ 69°C, dropped to 67 after 40mins, added 1.5L Boiling water to raise temp back up to 68 for final 20 mins of mash.

Batch Sparged up to 20L @ ~74°C

Preboil Volume: 20L; Preboil Gravity: 1.038

HOPS:
Amarillo, 9.5%: 10g @ 60min
Nelson Sauvin, 11.8%, 10g @ 30 min
Amarillo, 5g @ 10min
Nelson, 5g @ 10min
Amarillo, 2.5g @ 2min
Nelson, 2.5g @ 2 min

Postboil Volume: 17l, Original Gravity: 1.048

Pitched with Safale US-05 @ 20°C, 18/01/14 @ 23:15

Fermenting at stable 19°C. Excellent start, bubbling every 5 seconds within 12 hours of pitching.

Down to 1.012 within 5 days in Primary. Racked to Secondary, last sample was at 1.009. Letting it sit, will batch prime with around 150g DME and bottle at some point this week.

How does that sound? I was going for a fresh session Pale.


Sounds good -

I have a Belgium pale going in secondary tomorrow for a couple weeks then bottle time. I picked up a new carbination system. Going to try it this round and see what happens. Hopefully I wont be drinking from the ceiling. :)

I should send you some of my hops - The nugget tested @ 14.6 AA and the Chinook tested @ 13.5 AA. Put those in for even a 20 min boil and youll be a true hophead :)

I live 45 min outside of Asheville NC and there are a number of farmers trying to reintroduce hops on the east coast. The high alphas seem to do well but the low alphas are needing some work. Good results so far on a lot of new hop farms.


That would be awesome, I'd love to try some locally sourced US hops!


Give me some place to send them and Ill send you a bunch right around the first week in July + or - a week. Just depends on the weather. If its a wet year itll take a bit longer before harvest. We get dual harvests here on the high alphas and even on some of the mid and low alpha varieties. Ill send you some Nugget, Chinook and Brewers Gold. I haven't had the brewers gold AA tested yet but itll be tested this year along with my other varieties. I expect it to be somewhere in the 11% to 13% range.

Later on in late August to mid September I can send you some of the other varieties. I have, as well as the ones I have already listed - Liberty, Mt Hood, Centennial, Spalt, Golding, Santium, and Sterling.
Exitosus Tentationem
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#83 - 2014-02-05 03:58:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Exitosus Tentationem
vynok wrote:
Exitosus Tentationem wrote:
vynok wrote:
Love this thread, since i own a home brew supply shop in alaska and am an avid homebrewer and drinker (in fact weekend before last I was invited to judge my first homebrew competition) .
Where? It's entirely possible you knew my sister - A veterinarian in Wasilla.


doubtful I am down on the kenai peninsula so a bit of a ways from wasilla.
Fair enough. OTOH, ever read the Vet On The Edge blog? If so, then you've read her stuff.

Anyway, here are her comments - Unedited, but also lacking a lot of the details you might normally expect. Her recipe notebook itself was never recovered. Likewise, we never located her wine recipes, either - her skills as a vintner were even higher than those as a brewer...

AKDogDoc wrote:
Okay. Basially, start with an ale kit or "from scratch" recipe you like. Follow the directions for the most part, except for the tweaks.
Modifications are as follows:
ALL RECIPES: Intended for a five-gallon batch. Never use corn sugar as your bottling sugar, no matter what the recipe says. Use malt (substitute measure-for-measure). Corn sugar gives the ale a thin, sharp, sour edge I find unpleasant, while malt gives a round, rich, full-bodied finish.

Sidewinder: Begin with a pale ale recipe. De-stem, wash, pat dry and then dry roast, preferably in a dry cast iron skillet, one Anaheim, three serrano and one jalepeno pepper. If you want your beer spicier, leave the seeds in the Jalapeno; if not, take them out. THrow the roasted peppers into the primary fermentation vat, and continue on as usual with normal brewing instructions. (Adjust peppers to taste after you try this the first time; I find that the dry-roasting is essential, and that adding too many jalapenos makes the beer kind of oily/skunky.)

Sultry *****: use either a dark ale or a stout recipe, but substitute chocolate malt for half of the dark malt.

Grinch Heart: use a pale or medium ale recipe, but add a scant tablespoon of cinnamon to the primary vat. DO NOT DRINK THIS RIGHT AWAY. It will be WAY too cinnamony and make you hate it. Then you will let it sit for months (like about 6 or 8) and discover one day that you need some more bottles for your current batch of whatever. At that time, you will pour nearly an entire sixpack of Grinch Heart down the sink, intending to use the sterile bottles for your new batch, but on bottle number five you'll think, "Man, that kind of smells good..." and you'll give it a little sip. You will then hate yourself for pouring out five bottles of perfectly lovely, subtly spiced and beautifully blended ale.

Proud Cut (So named becuase it had more balls than I expected): Start with a pale ale recipe; add a pound of FROZEN raspberries to the primary fermentation vat (or if you use fresh, make sure A) no molds are present on them, and 2) you smash them up before adding them.) Frozen ones will have their skins pierced from the ice crystals as they thaw and release all the raspberry-y goodness into your ale. Fresh have to be smashed or they'll just keep that raspberry-y goodness to themselves, thank you very much.
NOTE: be aware that the fruit beers may ferment like crazy, so you may have to do some extra venting.
Variations: Use a medium ale recipe = Cryptorchid. Use a dark ale recipe = Dark Horse.

Tode Fuzz (Named for my brother Tode, for whose wedding I invented and brewed this recipe):
Start with a medium ale. Add one half pound of frozen cut peaches and one 12-oz jar of all-fruit peach preserves (or 1.5 to 2 jars of the preserves without the frozen) to the primary fermentation vat. NOTE: this one has a higher-than-usual alchohol content. I did not measure it because a) I am not that big a purist (embarrassing but true), 2) I was moving shortly after making this and had packed up half my stuff, and iii) I never measured the alchohol content in ANY of my beers, so it didn't occur to me. Ooopsie.

THere are lots of reasonable ale kits or basiec ale recipes out there; my brewing book (in shich I scribbled all the recipes) is lost; I loaned it out, didn't get it back, so this is all from memory. The variations are easy to remember, but the basic recipes = how many pounds of malt, etc - I don't recall.

I did once attempt a honey lager. It tasted like cow ****. Just saying.


If anyone here likes these ideas and tries them, let us know the results, eh? It's a tribute and blessing if a little bit of her gets a bit of immortality.
CCP Sledgehammer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#84 - 2014-02-05 14:41:41 UTC
vynok wrote:

As far as more mainstreamed beers lately, I have been hooked on Ninkasi's Sleigher double alt which is another real malty beer but with enough bittering hops to cleanse your pallet but not pucker your face to much. FG has to be around 1.018 to 1.016 or so so it has a pretty light finish.


Ah Ninkasi! There's a microbrew pub in Reykjavik called Micro, supplied mainly by a brewery called Gaedinger, that recently did a collaborative brew with the guys from Ninkasi. A really delicious double IPA!

Graphical QA Analyst | EVE Quality Assurance | Team TriLambda

vynok
Sub Par.
#85 - 2014-02-05 23:08:16 UTC
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:
vynok wrote:

As far as more mainstreamed beers lately, I have been hooked on Ninkasi's Sleigher double alt which is another real malty beer but with enough bittering hops to cleanse your pallet but not pucker your face to much. FG has to be around 1.018 to 1.016 or so so it has a pretty light finish.


Ah Ninkasi! There's a microbrew pub in Reykjavik called Micro, supplied mainly by a brewery called Gaedinger, that recently did a collaborative brew with the guys from Ninkasi. A really delicious double IPA!

do you recall the name of the beer? I would like to try it sometime
CCP Sledgehammer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#86 - 2014-02-06 13:18:30 UTC
vynok wrote:
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:
vynok wrote:

As far as more mainstreamed beers lately, I have been hooked on Ninkasi's Sleigher double alt which is another real malty beer but with enough bittering hops to cleanse your pallet but not pucker your face to much. FG has to be around 1.018 to 1.016 or so so it has a pretty light finish.


Ah Ninkasi! There's a microbrew pub in Reykjavik called Micro, supplied mainly by a brewery called Gaedinger, that recently did a collaborative brew with the guys from Ninkasi. A really delicious double IPA!

do you recall the name of the beer? I would like to try it sometime


They were just calling it a collaboration Double IPA. If I remember rightly, the pump had 22up/22ip written on it.

Graphical QA Analyst | EVE Quality Assurance | Team TriLambda

CCP Sledgehammer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#87 - 2014-02-06 13:22:09 UTC
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:
vynok wrote:
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:
vynok wrote:

As far as more mainstreamed beers lately, I have been hooked on Ninkasi's Sleigher double alt which is another real malty beer but with enough bittering hops to cleanse your pallet but not pucker your face to much. FG has to be around 1.018 to 1.016 or so so it has a pretty light finish.


Ah Ninkasi! There's a microbrew pub in Reykjavik called Micro, supplied mainly by a brewery called Gaedinger, that recently did a collaborative brew with the guys from Ninkasi. A really delicious double IPA!

do you recall the name of the beer? I would like to try it sometime


They were just calling it a collaboration Double IPA. If I remember rightly, the pump had 22up/22ip written on it.


Yup, here it is: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/gaeoingur-ninkasi-22-up/242404/

Graphical QA Analyst | EVE Quality Assurance | Team TriLambda

vynok
Sub Par.
#88 - 2014-02-06 20:38:36 UTC
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:
vynok wrote:
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:
vynok wrote:

As far as more mainstreamed beers lately, I have been hooked on Ninkasi's Sleigher double alt which is another real malty beer but with enough bittering hops to cleanse your pallet but not pucker your face to much. FG has to be around 1.018 to 1.016 or so so it has a pretty light finish.


Ah Ninkasi! There's a microbrew pub in Reykjavik called Micro, supplied mainly by a brewery called Gaedinger, that recently did a collaborative brew with the guys from Ninkasi. A really delicious double IPA!

do you recall the name of the beer? I would like to try it sometime


They were just calling it a collaboration Double IPA. If I remember rightly, the pump had 22up/22ip written on it.


Yup, here it is: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/gaeoingur-ninkasi-22-up/242404/

NOOOOOOO its keg release only :(
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#89 - 2014-02-06 21:17:19 UTC
So drink more. Lol
vynok
Sub Par.
#90 - 2014-02-06 21:51:24 UTC  |  Edited by: vynok
Plastic Psycho wrote:
So drink more. Lol
lol that just means its on tap only, can't get it in bottles thus more then likely can't get it in the states.

I would really like to get my hands on a bottle of the trooper but i dont know if i can get mailed up here to alaska.
Rhanna Khurin
Doomheim
#91 - 2014-02-07 08:41:09 UTC
Debowe polish wheat beer. Get's you messed up and also tastes nice.
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#92 - 2014-02-07 18:05:45 UTC
vynok wrote:
Plastic Psycho wrote:
So drink more. Lol
lol that just means its on tap only, can't get it in bottles thus more then likely can't get it in the states.

I would really like to get my hands on a bottle of the trooper but i dont know if i can get mailed up here to alaska.

Oh, I'm sure if you talk to the right distributer, and are willing to order sufficient quantity, the kegs can be brought in. So... How thirsty are you? :D
Mikhem
Taxisk Unlimited
#93 - 2014-02-08 20:36:06 UTC
This thread reminded me of CCP Zymurgist who is great friend of beer. With some google search I found his recipes in old thread. Ill leave them here for you beer experts to read. Perhaps you find some useful data in them.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=71505#post71505

Mikhem

Link library to EVE music songs.

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#94 - 2014-02-09 03:17:24 UTC
Excellent - Thank you. Cool

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#95 - 2014-02-10 19:59:50 UTC
Has anybody here had any experiences with conical brewing equipment? My carboys, fermenter, and related gear can fill a small pickup truck. I'd like to pare down the footprint a bit.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#96 - 2014-04-03 17:32:49 UTC
Here is the next recipe...with espresso. Get f**ked up but not sleepy. Twisted


Espresso Imperial Stout

Deep roast flavored Stout with espresso.
Eight percent alcohol, not for the timid.

7 lbs Light Malt Extract

3 lbs Light Dry Malt Extract

1 lb Chocolate Malt

1/2 lb Roast Barley

1/2 lb Black Patent

1 1/2 oz Warrior Hops 20 HBUs (Boiling) 60 min

1/2 oz N Brewer Hops (Flavor) 10 min

Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast

1 tsp Amylase Enzyme

1 pint Espresso shots (strong coffee)

For Bottling:

1 1/4 cup Dry Malt Extract Or 3/4 cup Corn sugar

Add the cracked, Chocolate Malt, Roast Barley, and
Black Patent Malt to 1 1/2 gals of cold water and
bring to a boil. Remove the grain. Add the Light
Malt Extract and Light Dry Malt Extract and bring
to a boil. Add 1 1/2 oz of Warrior hops. Boil for
50 mins. Add 1/2 oz of N Brewer hops and continue
to boil for 10 mins. Sparge the hops with cold
water into the fermenter. Add the wort to the
fermenter with cold water to make 5 gals. Add
yeast and Amylase Enzyme when the temp reaches
70º. Ferment at 65º for 7 days or until fermentation
slows. Rack to a secondary fermenter.
Add the pint of espresso (fresh brewed and still hot).
Let it age 1 weeks in secondary then bottle or keg.
For bottling, use 1 1/4 cup of dry malt extract
or 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled with 2 cups of
water added in the bottling bucket.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#97 - 2014-04-03 18:33:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Baneken
Do we count "Easter mead" ? Just made batch today was toying with the idea of using wine yeast instead of baking yeast but kids also love the stuff so I had to nix the idea.

Here's the recipe:
16L of water
1kg of farine sugar (farine sugar is normal sugar & syrup)
1kg of normal sugar
25g of Baking yeast
1/2 lemon
Raisins

Boil some water, dilute sugar in to water, throw in lemon, let cool, add in the yeast and ferment for 2 weeks.
Add in the raisins when bottling (they rise to top when there's enough carbon dioxide in the bottle).

For beer I usually have to drink local lagers (karhu lapin kulta, koff and what have you) because imported beers cost you about 3,50€ for a small bottle and larger bottles can go up to 10€ a piece depending on alcohol content (because god forbid you might get drunk otherwise).
vynok
Sub Par.
#98 - 2014-04-03 18:52:55 UTC
Baneken wrote:
Do we count "Easter mead" ? Just made batch today was toying with the idea of using wine yeast instead of baking yeast but kids also love the stuff so I had to nix the idea.

Here's the recipe:
16L of water
1kg of farine sugar (farine sugar is normal sugar & syrup)
1kg of normal sugar
25g of Baking yeast
1/2 lemon
Raisins

Boil some water, dilute sugar in to water, throw in lemon, let cool, add in the yeast and ferment for 2 weeks.
Add in the raisins when bottling (they rise to top when there's enough carbon dioxide in the bottle).

For beer I usually have to drink local lagers (karhu lapin kulta, koff and what have you) because imported beers cost you about 3,50€ for a small bottle and larger bottles can go up to 10€ a piece depending on alcohol content (because god forbid you might get drunk otherwise).

Looks like a white lightening recipe my uncle had dug up out of some old book. With wine yeast you are going to get a much drier product since certain strains can easily go as high as 18% alcohol. If you are trying to leave a little residual sweetness you could either A go with ale yeast (usually peters out at about 9%) or you could let it ferment all the way out with a champagne yeast then after fermentation is complete add a product called potassium sorbate (which will keep the yeast from becoming active again) then you can back sweeten with your choice of sweetener (apple juice, sugar, grape juice ect ect). Then if a guy want to get real crazy you could throw it on about 12 lbs of co2 for a week or so and have so have adult soda pop.
Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#99 - 2014-04-03 19:07:02 UTC
Thanks for the heads up I'm not first time making "home wines" so I know the drill. Cool

The mead is normally made with baking yeast because it's meant to be "safe for kids" but I'll give that stronger yeast a go and see what happens.
I would also love to try out a honey mead but given honeys anti-bacterial and anti fungal traits I'm not sure how to get it to ferment properly.
vynok
Sub Par.
#100 - 2014-04-03 19:38:16 UTC  |  Edited by: vynok
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Here is the next recipe...with espresso. Get f**ked up but not sleepy. Twisted


thats a whole lot of bittering hops (warrior usaully runs around 15% alpha acid), I ran this through my brewing software and it looks like the IBUs are going to come out around 83 (that's around the specs for a pretty bitter IPA), it would be a shame to cover up that coffee flavor by over doing the bittering hops. Have you made this recipe before?

Also why the addition of the Alpha Amylase usually you throw that in if you have a grain bill with large % of adjuncts (corn, rice,oats ect.ect.)

The hop sparging step looks interesting, that's a technique i have never heard of. I just tried first wort hopping for the first time and I have to say I wasn't impressed with the results.

here's one I will throw out their for you guys to have some fun with:

Quote:
Orange Creamcicle Blond

10 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1 lb Corn, Flaked
1 lb Munich Malt - 10L
1 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose)
0.25 oz Falconer's Flight [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.25 oz Falconer's Flight [11.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [11.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL Yeast #US-05)
2.50 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days)
1.00 lb Oranges, Naval (quartered) (Secondary 5.0 days)

Mash in at 150 degrees F for 60 minutes
You can sub out the 2 row for 5 lbs pilsner liquid malt extract and 3 lbs of pilsner dry may malt extract. If orange flavor is not strong enough (sample it from the secondary) add in a couple pounds of whole split kumquats.


I enjoy brewing beers that are a bit extreme. If it says it is a coffee porter i better by god be able to taste the coffee. There are to many fringe beers out there that list all the fancy ingredients and it looks great on a label but i would say about 60% of the time its just there to dress the label up. I also do a pretty kick ass pecan dopplebock but thats one of the ones i keep to myself. I also just did an Imperial Red with 10 veined and seeded serrano peppers (this is the second run on it, the first batch was gone in about 2 weeks) that has a real nice chili flavor that meshes really well with the toasted flavor of the red.