These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

So just where is Eve going?

Author
Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#61 - 2014-06-15 22:00:44 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Eve did well enough with 5000 people

I dont care if its 500, 5000 or 5 million

Ill still pay my subs and still enjoy the game

The only thing that could harm that is Elite: Dangerous offering as free a universe and I cant see that hip hap happening, daddio

Or CCP losing the income needed to keep the current build of Tranquility online. You know, games like Ultima Online will live as long as someone can install a server build on his home PC -and it works fine as all in all UO was coded to run on a 1997-era server.

But EVE's Tranquility... well, it's quite a different beast. You can't downsize an elephant, did you know?

Q: Should we be worried? A: Nope. (...) Worry a lot if Fozzie, Masterplan, Rise, Veritas, Bettik, Ytterbium, Scarpia, Arrow, or even Greyscale leaves. Worry a little if Punkturis, karkur, SoniClover, Affinity, Goliath, or Xhagen leaves.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#62 - 2014-06-15 22:04:42 UTC
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

The only thing that could harm that is Elite: Dangerous offering as free a universe and I cant see that hip hap happening, daddio

Or CCP losing the income needed to keep the current build of Tranquility online. You know, games like Ultima Online will live as long as someone can install a server build on his home PC -and it works fine as all in all UO was coded to run on a 1997-era server.

But EVE's Tranquility... well, it's quite a different beast. You can't downsize an elephant, did you know?

As they revealed a while back, a great deal of their costs are overhead for developing side projects like DUST and WoD. Those two, especially since they were trying to create their own engine from scratch, were probably rather expensive.

They've knocked that off now.

Upkeep is a pittance compared to development.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Jade Blackwind
#63 - 2014-06-15 22:11:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Jade Blackwind
Ramona McCandless wrote:
And that opinion is precisely why CCP shouldn't listen to the all the loud forum warrioring and Jita statue shooting "core player base" if they have any plans left for this game except to let it lapse into the undead MMOG limbo where EverQuest, UO and Dark Age of Camelot still exist with those metaphorical 500 people on the server.
Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#64 - 2014-06-15 22:26:58 UTC
Marsha Mallow wrote:
(...)

Honestly, it gets repeated over and over, but the answer remains the same. The problem is not us, or CCP, or the game. It's you.

That's true, actually.

See, from my RL trade, I have first-hand experience on terrible customers. And you and me are right, it's their problem to want something they can't afford. But as a paid professional, it's my problem to find something they can afford, because I can't push a button and order a batch of wealthier customers, and if the customers I have don't give me their money, things get worst for me than for them. As I, like CCP, sell something nobody *needs* to buy...

Q: Should we be worried? A: Nope. (...) Worry a lot if Fozzie, Masterplan, Rise, Veritas, Bettik, Ytterbium, Scarpia, Arrow, or even Greyscale leaves. Worry a little if Punkturis, karkur, SoniClover, Affinity, Goliath, or Xhagen leaves.

Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#65 - 2014-06-15 22:34:10 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Eh, considering subs are going up on Tranquility and Serenity both, I don't think they need to downsize. Hopefully they can do something workable with Legion and Valkyrie.

At least Dust gets now (far too late) a lot of sorely needed bugfixes and balances. It's a bit like CCP has fired all the dead weight. (Or the dead weight is now working on Legion. ****, hopefully not.)
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#66 - 2014-06-15 22:38:53 UTC
And I find myself unable to have an adult conversation with someone who point blank fails to understand I wasnt actually arguing the point she insists on making but a different point entirely and her pet sock-puppet.

Tell you what, you go ahead and lobby whatever you like.

CCP doesnt listen to you, or me, they listen to facts, facts none of us have access too.

So if EvE turns into whatever you want it to, and Elite: Dangerous delivers what it promises, you can stay here

Theres a Fer-De-Lance with my name on it

If not, enjoy your instances, we will still be here when you get bored

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Marsha Mallow
#67 - 2014-06-15 23:04:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Marsha Mallow
Marsha Mallow wrote:
(...) Honestly, it gets repeated over and over, but the answer remains the same. The problem is not us, or CCP, or the game. It's you.

That's true, actually.

You could have just stopped with "Yes dear, you are entirely correct." P
See, from my RL trade, I have first-hand experience on terrible customers.

Yeah, no, all customers are terrible. Seduce them, recruit them or pick them up and chuck them out of the nearest door. Standing around being hammered by the critiques of the lazy-but-equipped-with-enormous-gobs is tedious.
And you and me are right

I'm right sometimes. You picked your name though, which is a bit worrying.
it's their problem to want something they can't afford. But as a paid professional, it's my problem to find something they can afford, because I can't push a button and order a batch of wealthier customers, and if the customers I have don't give me their money, things get worst for me than for them. As I, like CCP, sell something nobody *needs* to buy...

In a profit driven enterprise some types of business do cave in to the lowest common denominator. CCP haven't, yet. People keep referring to the shareholders, but Hilmar is the biggest I think (?) and he's still operationally in charge of the business. Looking at those layoffs with a cynical eye you might say they were mistreated, but part of me thinks they were retained way past the point they should have been. Which is a sign of something rare, regardless of the internal politics.

If you want CCP to sell out to cater to the masses, just say so. Then we can really flay you.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#68 - 2014-06-15 23:09:52 UTC
Owen Levanth wrote:

.... hopefully they can do something workable with Legion and Valkyrie.

Valerie is going to be interesting. If its dumbed down it will just be Halo in 3D and attract a FPS crowd. On the otherhand if its hardcore it will attract the flightsim community who have a radically different mentality to the current EVE player base.
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#69 - 2014-06-16 02:18:38 UTC
Where is EVE going? Nullsec, apparently.

The Rubicon plan is to add player built stargates leading to a New Space. Those stargates where introduced as something that large alliances would do, which prompted some to think that they would be a nullsec only business.

Now, Kronos/Crius industry changes are aiming at, literally, making nullsec industry viable so they can build those gates.

Which means that, well, EVE is moving towards nullsec.

Despite CCP Seagull claimed that all playstyles are important, the fact remains that the only new content in development it's a nullsec only business.

CCP bet is that Corporation and Sov changes will make people move to nullsec so they will be there to enjoy the Jesus stargates and the Promised Land behind them. IMHO, that's highly delusional and will cost CCP dearly.

when the only way to make highsec players happy is to completely remove PvP and fire off any part of the dev team not assigned to making more variations of the same mission to appease their ISK-boner raid-dropout self-important needs, then Id be happy to have highsec pissed off at CCP.
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#70 - 2014-06-16 02:32:14 UTC
Owen Levanth wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Eh, considering subs are going up on Tranquility and Serenity both, I don't think they need to downsize. Hopefully they can do something workable with Legion and Valkyrie.

At least Dust gets now (far too late) a lot of sorely needed bugfixes and balances. It's a bit like CCP has fired all the dead weight. (Or the dead weight is now working on Legion. ****, hopefully not.)

I just hope they succeed in their future "3 games, 1 character, 1 account" idea to access thsoe 3 games, if only because that means at some point they mightt ake integration to its highest level between the 3 (and of course this is talking about WAY down the road, like 3rd decade or something). God knows it'd be a seller, do you know how many people in Planetside 2 wish their outfit could own an orbital ship to send supplies/vehicles/drop-pods/artillery to the battlefield, and do zero-G fighting with other ships, light assaults darting along the surface of the ships with fighters blaring overhead? Alot of them want it, SOE just doesnt want to put money into PS2 anymore. But its something I hope EVE has someday, complete integration, if only because I still believe what CCP said a long time ago, that EVE should be the ONLY scifi game you would need for ANY experience or playstyle.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#71 - 2014-06-16 04:29:23 UTC
10 year vet, so my right to post, and i'll toss in my .02 isk

To the "eve has lost subs" and the 'eve did a layoff and lost alot of money"

did you even read the finacial document? i mean really look at it? What annoys me the most about the 'loss' is that its not really a loss. If you look at the very first line in the statement, where they list finances, there is this nice little line that reads:

Revue from games: 2013 $$$$ 2012 $$$$

If you look at that single line, ccp made around $10 million MORE in 2013 then 2012.

Let that sink in a second.... they made 10m MORE. CCP would of had a huge profit, but they canceled WoD, and as such had to right off all the money they spent on it. Also, from 2010 to 2012 they have enough profit to cover that loss anyway.

Now why i think they have not announced the sub numbers? Because of something very simple. Dust.

some may be going wait wait what? But you could use simple math to figure out how much dust made/loss ccp if you have the true sub numbers. For example, if in the 6 month statement it says ccp made 30m, of that 5m was a loss, doing simple math you can divide 30m by 6, then subtract it from the number of subs X $15. This would allow you to see how much dust brought to the fold. If dust was a failed roll out, which i think it was, and is why they had this shift of moving back to pc, canceling wod, and the layoffs, they really would not want to make that public. just my opinion, but adding 10m in a year means they are fine.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#72 - 2014-06-16 04:31:04 UTC
Nariya Kentaya wrote:
Owen Levanth wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

I just hope they succeed in their future "3 games, 1 character, 1 account" idea to access thsoe 3 games, if only because that means at some point they mightt ake integration to its highest level between the 3 (and of course this is talking about WAY down the road, like 3rd decade or something). God knows it'd be a seller, do you know how many people in Planetside 2 wish their outfit could own an orbital ship to send supplies/vehicles/drop-pods/artillery to the battlefield, and do zero-G fighting with other ships, light assaults darting along the surface of the ships with fighters blaring overhead? Alot of them want it, SOE just doesnt want to put money into PS2 anymore. But its something I hope EVE has someday, complete integration, if only because I still believe what CCP said a long time ago, that EVE should be the ONLY scifi game you would need for ANY experience or playstyle.

Honestly the 3 games 1 char 1 log in is a brilliant idea. I personally think they need to attach all games to TQ form day one, but they are said they won't.

Eve For life.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#73 - 2014-06-16 04:41:43 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
3 games on 1 account better not make my subscription costs go up. I'd be fine with having to pay for access (OTO or subscription, I don't care) for Legion and Valkyrie but not with increased subscription fee and automatic access to all three.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#74 - 2014-06-16 04:45:37 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
3 games on 1 account better not make my subscription costs go up. I'd be fine with having to pay for access (OTO or subscription, I don't care) for Legion and Valkyrie but not with increased subscription fee and automatic access to all three.

if they do it that way, but from what i understand legion will be ftp and we have no idea how valk works yet, they should do an ala cart thing

i.e. $15 a month for eve

$10/15 for legion

$10/15 for valk

$30 (or something) for all 3.

So you could pick and chose what you want to play, and get a huge discount to do all 3. Esp if legion is FTP anyway.

Eve For life.

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#75 - 2014-06-16 04:54:12 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

if they do it that way, but from what i understand legion will be ftp and we have no idea how valk works yet, they should do an ala cart thing

i.e. $15 a month for eve

$10/15 for legion

$10/15 for valk

$30 (or something) for all 3.

So you could pick and chose what you want to play, and get a huge discount to do all 3. Esp if legion is FTP anyway.

Or offer Valkerie and Legion subs for EVE plex :D
Vivec Septim
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#76 - 2014-06-16 06:53:16 UTC
Well -- UO is definitely a shell of its former self, with its 'elite' gamerbase still twiddling their thumbs on top of their 'mountains'. Wonder how that is going for them?

Wonder how that will be for those on top here?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. 

Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#77 - 2014-06-16 06:57:20 UTC
Marsha Mallow wrote:
(...)
In a profit driven enterprise some types of business do cave in to the lowest common denominator. CCP haven't, yet. People keep referring to the shareholders, but Hilmar is the biggest I think (?) and he's still operationally in charge of the business. Looking at those layoffs with a cynical eye you might say they were mistreated, but part of me thinks they were retained way past the point they should have been. Which is a sign of something rare, regardless of the internal politics.

If you want CCP to sell out to cater to the masses, just say so. Then we can really flay you.

The lowest MMO players stay in any games for three months. There are hordes of those players and lots of games engineered to run on three-monthers.

But anyone who stays in EVE for two years is well ahead of the lowest common denominator. It takes time and effort to master any aspect of EVE, just some aspects lead to dead ends, and that is not inmediately obvious when a player starts his career.

And those dead ends are CCP's fault. They cost CCP dearly in terms of failed retention of veterans. Why spend the effort to keep someone subscribed for two years, and then just let him burn out and quit?

"Thanks for the two years, your multiple accounts and all the money, but now you can get lost because you've been playing the wrong game all along and that's your fault".

That works when people queues for the privilege to start their two-year careers. But that's not the case any longer. It would had been wise to figure this out earlier and expand the game to retain that 80% of players, rather than cope with losses, layoffs and all what it will take to turn the incoming failure into a resurrection.

Vivec Septim
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#78 - 2014-06-16 07:01:29 UTC
Marsha Mallow wrote:
(...)

The lowest MMO players stay in any games for three months. There are hordes of those players and lots of games engineered to run on three-monthers.

But anyone who stays in EVE for two years is well ahead of the lowest common denominator. It takes time and effort to master any aspect of EVE, just some aspects lead to dead ends, and that is not inmediately obvious when a player starts his career.

And those dead ends are CCP's fault. They cost CCP dearly in terms of failed retention of veterans. Why spend the effort to keep someone subscribed for two years, and then just let him burn out and quit?

"Thanks for the two years, your multiple accounts and all the money, but now you can get lost because you've been playing the wrong game all along and that's your fault".

That works when people queues for the privilege to start their two-year careers. But that's not the case any longer. It would had been wise to figure this out earlier and expand the game to retain that 80% of players, rather than cope with losses, layoffs and all what it will take to turn the incoming failure into a resurrection.

And thus you shine a light on CCP's rather horrid trap/excuse, when questioned about a lack of content, expect the die-hard, rabid PvP fans make the argument FOR keeping development out of that particular aspect because it is not 'hardcore' (as if games could truly be hardcore :eyerolls:) , or painting it as some sort of WoW-clone idea. Kind of sick, but that is the nature of the environment. I just work on doing good in the way I can, and enjoying the game in other ways. I've just been nerding out on market things.... though I wish there was more to mining, exploration, and other things. :D

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. 

Yazzinra
Scorpion Ventures
#79 - 2014-06-16 09:59:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Yazzinra
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:

Will Christian Slater ever find gainful employment in something other than poorly written ripoff movies?

I do hope so, he really is underrated.

edit: on topic: I doubt even CCP knows.
Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
#80 - 2014-06-16 10:25:44 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
Will science ever invent a microwave that can make both the inside AND the outside of a burrito the same temperature?

Will Christian Slater ever find gainful employment in something other than poorly written ripoff movies?

I heard a lady scientist on the radio talking about how they were working on the even heating microwave thing, something to do with zones, something something i was driving so yeah.
True Romance wasn't poorly written.

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.