These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kronos] Factional Warfare Complex Improvements

First post First post First post
Author
Flyinghotpocket
Small Focused Memes
Ragequit Cancel Sub
#101 - 2014-05-09 17:00:34 UTC
excellent changes really. much needed

however the large outposts needs to be gated. they have to be or there will be no point in running any kind of small bc fleets.

all it will encourage is alpha nado fleets

Amarr Militia Representative - A jar of nitro

Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#102 - 2014-05-09 17:01:41 UTC
Kale Freeman wrote:
There should be a neutral NPC in the plex that does not agress you. The timer won't move while the NPC is alive. The NPC does minimal dmg, but has a reasonable tank. The NPC respawns every few minutes.

That's basically the system that's being proposed in the OP.

We Gallente have a saying: "CCP created the Gallente Militia to train the Fighters..."

Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#103 - 2014-05-09 17:05:49 UTC
Flyinghotpocket wrote:

however the large outposts needs to be gated. they have to be or there will be no point in running any kind of small bc fleets.

...which will encourage Maulus / Celestis / Crucifier / Arbitrator spam, which leads to brawling comps, which get countered by kiting comps, which get countered by Nado fleets, which...

It'll be interesting to see how the Large Oupost introduction changes things. It'll definitely incentivize shipping up and trying out comps not as dependent on the gate mechanism meta. Given the bloodbaths that already happen whenever we invade main staging systems, the FW as lolfrigs might really get turned on it's ear in a hurry.

I for one look forward to the challenge of mastering more open-field style combat. Methinks the local pirate gangs are going to get a rather rude awakening once the top militia corps get better at running shinier open field fleet comps.

We Gallente have a saying: "CCP created the Gallente Militia to train the Fighters..."

Flyinghotpocket
Small Focused Memes
Ragequit Cancel Sub
#104 - 2014-05-09 17:09:34 UTC
Veskrashen wrote:
Flyinghotpocket wrote:

...which will encourage Maulus / Celestis / Crucifier / Arbitrator spam, which leads to brawling comps, which get countered by kiting comps, which get countered by Nado fleets, which...

It'll be interesting to see how the Large Oupost introduction changes things. It'll definitely incentivize shipping up and trying out comps not as dependent on the gate mechanism meta. Given the bloodbaths that already happen whenever we invade main staging systems, the FW as lolfrigs might really get turned on it's ear in a hurry.

I for one look forward to the challenge of mastering more open-field style combat. Methinks the local pirate gangs are going to get a rather rude awakening once the top militia corps get better at running shinier open field fleet comps.

no plain and simple.

before the unrestricted plexs were only home to arty nados beam oracles and rail naga's there was no real fleets comps except alpha the target.

it has to be restricted otherwise there is no point in flying the 90% of battle cruisers and 99% of the command ships in this game.

but also back then there was both a major restricted and a major unrestricted so we got to see both in action. and the restricted one always had more action.

Amarr Militia Representative - A jar of nitro

Thanatos Marathon
Moira.
#105 - 2014-05-09 17:19:26 UTC
+1 for adding damage reduction to warp core stabs.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#106 - 2014-05-09 17:36:02 UTC
first of all thank you for including large plexes in the regular FW spawn cycle we asked for it since inferno - a really nice change.

The other two changes however i really can't support. The problem is that they most likely will make plexing more annoying without fixing anything.

If you are after LP running or hiding is still more efficient than fighting, making running or hiding more difficult does not fix the problem its just a dirty way of dealing of the symptoms of the mechanics.

CCP has a history of fixing symptoms instead of the problem, for example if you look back what happened in inferno, plex layout changes like moving the beacon closer to the warpin or the requirement to kill the rat instead of tanking it did not help at all to motivate farmers to get out the vicious circle and use pvp ships (it really is the first step, if you don't do this you have no choice but running away).

A fix of the problem would NOT be to prohibit cloaks, or block stabs. It would be to penalize running or hiding. Sounds horribly complicated right? FEAR NOT ITS THE EASIEST FIX IN THE WORLD. I am sure nobody in the forums EVER suggested timer resets as most obvious fix to the problem. Kappa

So how would a CLEAN FIX OF THE PROBLEM look you ask? There are many many variations of the timer reset or rollback proposal. Here a few examples:
- timer ticks backwards in accelerated fashion till it reaches neutral state if a player waits in the plex
- timer ticks backwards till it reaches the neutral (normal speed) state if everything left the beacon
- timer resets immediately (imagine you could spend lp on the plex structure to reset it)
- ... just a few EXAMPLES

you say, hey thats not fair since i might waste so much time of my life plexing. FEAR NOT timer length is not set in stone.
- imagine someone would reduce timer length and payouts to balance the now fixed mechanics between EXPANSIONS

you say everybody would blob and i can't solo anymore (sidenote: i solo pvp at least 90% of my gametime)
- firstly, the nature of blobs is that they a) get killed by a larger blob or b) dissolve quickly since there is no other blob around
- secondly, having a blob you still won't be able to cover whole FW space. A route through all amarr systems alone has 32+ jumps, and thats half of the warzone. (cal-gal WZ is much larger btw) How often do you think a blob would fly this route?
- thirdly, crazy concepts like patrol gangs might actually work, you could defend (selected) systems or disrupt your opponent defending systems WITHOUT TRADING TIME 1:1 WITH FARMERS
- solo farming WILL STILL PERFECTLY WORK, all you would have to do is to use a pvp fit an pick a quiet system

so what would happen after implementing the MOST OBVIOUS FIX IN EVE HISTORY you ask?
- stabs, cloaks will serve the original purpose: protecting your ship but using them for make LP won't work anymore
- plexing will be a mechanic to create confilct and you would see more fights in them
- frigs will stick to novices, destroyers to small plexes and cruisers to medium plexes
- people will plex together in great joy, celebrating the new plexing mechanics

OMG the fix is PERFECT you say, do we still need the other stuff?
- actually no, rats, artificial rules like cloak inhibitors don't matter anymore, you could just remove them or keep them... doesn't matter

but you still want to EXPLOIT A BROKEN SYSTEM TO FARM LP WITHOUT RISK OR EFFORT you say?
- no problem m8. FW covers EVERYTHING. You can fly pve missions which allow you to complete them without NPC agro, 0 risk... you can cloak any time, watch a movie etc. Best of all: it doesn't influence sov and its the perfect solo mechanic DESIGNED TO BE NO CONFLICT DRIVER

but what if this change is made and it DOESN'T WORK (fictional, highly theoretical scenario - won't happen ever)
- luckily eve has now a new 6 week deployment model so you could implement the "we will monitor the situation and tweak the system later" - inferno - CCP Soundwave - before riot - promise with minimal effort

thanks for listening and thanks for the large plex change

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Muad 'dib
State War Academy
Caldari State
#107 - 2014-05-09 17:39:14 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
first of all thank you for including large plexes in the regular FW spawn cycle we asked for it since inferno - a really nice change.

The other two changes however i really can't support. The problem is that they most likely will make plexing more annoying without fixing anything.

If you are after LP running or hiding is still more efficient than fighting, making running or hiding more difficult does not fix the problem its just a dirty way of dealing of the symptoms of the mechanics.

CCP has a history of fixing symptoms instead of the problem, for example if you look back what happened in inferno, plex layout changes like moving the beacon closer to the warpin or the requirement to kill the rat instead of tanking it did not help at all to motivate farmers to get out the vicious circle and use pvp ships (it really is the first step, if you don't do this you have no choice but running away).

A fix of the problem would NOT be to prohibit cloaks, or block stabs. It would be to penalize running or hiding. Sounds horribly complicated right? FEAR NOT ITS THE EASIEST FIX IN THE WORLD. I am sure nobody in the forums EVER suggested timer resets as most obvious fix to the problem. Kappa

So how would a CLEAN FIX OF THE PROBLEM look you ask? There are many many variations of the timer reset or rollback proposal. Here a few examples:
- timer ticks backwards in accelerated fashion till it reaches neutral state if a player waits in the plex
- timer ticks backwards till it reaches the neutral (normal speed) state if everything left the beacon
- timer resets immediately (imagine you could spend lp on the plex structure to reset it)
- ... just a few EXAMPLES

you say, hey thats not fair since i might waste so much time of my life plexing. FEAR NOT timer length is not set in stone.
- imagine someone would reduce timer length and payouts to balance the now fixed mechanics between EXPANSIONS

you say everybody would blob and i can't solo anymore (sidenote: i solo pvp at least 90% of my gametime)
- firstly, the nature of blobs is that they a) get killed by a larger blob or b) dissolve quickly since there is no other blob around
- secondly, having a blob you still won't be able to cover whole FW space. A route through all amarr systems alone has 32+ jumps, and thats half of the warzone. (cal-gal WZ is much larger btw) How often do you think a blob would fly this route?
- thirdly, crazy concepts like patrol gangs might actually work, you could defend (selected) systems or disrupt your opponent defending systems WITHOUT TRADING TIME 1:1 WITH FARMERS
- solo farming WILL STILL PERFECTLY WORK, all you would have to do is to use a pvp fit an pick a quiet system

so what would happen after implementing the MOST OBVIOUS FIX IN EVE HISTORY you ask?
- stabs, cloaks will serve the original purpose: protecting your ship but using them for make LP won't work anymore
- plexing will be a mechanic to create confilct and you would see more fights in them
- frigs will stick to novices, destroyers to small plexes and cruisers to medium plexes
- people will plex together in great joy, celebrating the new plexing mechanics

OMG the fix is PERFECT you say, do we still need the other stuff?
- actually no, rats, artificial rules like cloak inhibitors don't matter anymore, you could just remove them or keep them... doesn't matter

but you still want to EXPLOIT A BROKEN SYSTEM TO FARM LP WITHOUT RISK OR EFFORT you say?
- no problem m8. FW covers EVERYTHING. You can fly pve missions which allow you to complete them without NPC agro, 0 risk... you can cloak any time, watch a movie etc. Best of all: it doesn't influence sov and its the perfect solo mechanic DESIGNED TO BE NO CONFLICT DRIVER

but what if this change is made and it DOESN'T WORK (fictional, highly theoretical scenario - won't happen ever)
- luckily eve has now a new 6 week deployment model so you could implement the "we will monitor the situation and tweak the system later" - inferno - CCP Soundwave - before riot - promise with minimal effort

thanks for listening and thanks for the large plex change

this guy gets it.

You would do well to listen to this.

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Thorin Matarielle
The All-Seeing Eye
Seventh Sanctum.
#108 - 2014-05-09 17:49:05 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
epic post]

Nice one dude! U made me laugh several times. Cool

+1
Shagmar Gera
Gang of 4
#109 - 2014-05-09 18:18:41 UTC
I support Gated large plexes. CCP PLZ this mechanic works in all other plexes, give it to us the way plexes are successful FIRST then tweak it if it needs changes.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#110 - 2014-05-09 18:55:03 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
~stuff~

^^ This guy here. He's got it.

Bienator II wrote:

Yes please! Defend your plex or run the risk of losing all your progress, foo'.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

TrouserDeagle
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#111 - 2014-05-09 18:58:55 UTC
you said ages ago that you wanted timers to tick down if people cloak up or warp out, when's that happening? preferably make it speed up over time or something.

also when are acceleration gates being fixed? I've activated gates while tackled, I've been caught on gates, and I've had it work as intended. it's very inconsistent.

also FW missions need a big stack of nerfs they're so broken.
per
Terpene Conglomerate
#112 - 2014-05-09 19:01:01 UTC
Bienator II wrote:

↑ exactly that
Caval Marten
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#113 - 2014-05-09 19:24:17 UTC
+1 for Bienator

At first I didn't even think about the implications of a complete timer reset, I was more for timer counting back, but a reset might be the ultimate solution.

If the outcome of you warping away from a plex at the first sign of danger is to lose all your progress, you might be inclined to actually pvp fit and defend.

Imagine running a medium down for 19min, you have the potential to make a nice chunk of isk if you defend or you warp off with your ship intact and don't make anything. This is the perfect risk vs reward situation.

There will still be plenty of opportunities for newer players to make LP but it will require more effort. Find a dead system (plenty of them) or run missions.
Aalysia Valkeiper
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#114 - 2014-05-09 19:34:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Aalysia Valkeiper
appearently, my earlier post didn't actually post.

I am trying to learn FW. My only experiance with it consisted of fitting a coercer for orbital bombardment (months ago, for what was then new... Dust 514) and promptly getting 'dusted'.

From what I'm understanding, FW consists of keeping ships within a certain radius of a central "FW button" and earning Loyalty Points (LP) from your faction.

Please note I have have absolutely NO IDEA of FW outside what I have read in this thread, so this idea may be completely unviable.

A> Why not have the procedure that you can NOT collect LPs unless your faction has actually captured the site?

B> Your ship must stay within the 'capture radius' and FULLY DETECTABLE for a certain amount of time (5 minutes?) before it can start qualifying for LP

C> After your ship has started qualifying for the LP, it must stay within the radius and detectable to continue to qualify for more LP (10 LP / 15 seconds?)

D> When you decide to collect your LP, you proceed to the "FW button" and 'open cargo' (or some other function). A timer counts down (2 minutes?) and you receive the LP you have qualified for. Now, you must return to 'step B' if you want more LP

E> If at any time, you leave the 'capture radius' or become undetectable to the sensor maintaining that radius, you lose whatever LP you have not collected and will have to start over with 'step B' (this is, if your faction still has control of the site).

Does this sound workable to the more experianced among you?
xa666
Instruments of Discipline
#115 - 2014-05-09 19:35:39 UTC
Caval Marten wrote:

There will still be plenty of opportunities for newer players to make LP but it will require more effort. Find a dead system (plenty of them) or run missions.

or try pvp.

Still not enough. Give us more pvp on plexes.
paritybit
Hyper Pivot
#116 - 2014-05-09 19:37:23 UTC
Just posting to say that timer rollbacks are a much better and more complete solution than disabling cloaks which causes as many problems as it solves. Use the carrot instead of the stick. Make them want to stay but don't force them. Treat warping out and coaching up in the same way. This makes it more lucrative for pilots who are actually willing to fight for their LP. I and many others have suggested this in the past. Some of them are already popping up in this thread.

I am certainly not a fan of arriving in a complex to engage in honorable frigate one versus one combat only to have a handful of recons uncloak around me. So I am not unhappy with the change. But this doesn't really change that since they will just cloak up outside of the beacon's range anyway. Similarly, FW farmers will simply sit on the edge and move a few meters to cloak when I land as they always do. The only difference here is they have to move which makes my current solution to catch them (probes) doomed to failure from now on.
Angelus Ryan
One Ronin
#117 - 2014-05-09 19:43:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Angelus Ryan
From the other thread where this first appeared, a copy of my post:

You just pretty much killed cloaky ambushes on people coming into FW plexes. This side-effect is downright bad, and your attempted solution is not actually doing anything to combat the farming problem. The bat is swinging, and again, it is doing so ineffectively, while breaking other things in the process.

The (AFK) farming problem is caused by stabs (about 4 of them), and not by cloaks. Your solution does nothing to eliminate 4 stab Tormentors sitting in a plex alt-tabbed into another game or client and warping off them they hear they are under attack. Furthermore, your solution does nothing to eliminate people sitting 29.9km from the beacon and about 45km from the warpin and moving for a second, then cloaking up, the moment someone appears on grid (or appears on a 5,000km d-scan). Moreover, since we cannot cloak within capture range, we can't even sneak into the plex by cloaking in warp into the plex and then crawling over them cloaked to catch them off guard, or by cloaking inside the plex and waiting for them to greedily return by cloaking near the warpin (and since we need multiple points to combat stabs, we pretty much need to use scrams and not longpoints).

In fact, this solution has exactly the opposite of what I suspect you intend, unless you intend for farmers farming LP with even less risk from cloaky attackers.

Timer rollback when cloaked/warped off is the solution you are looking for, CCP, not this "no cloaking" crap that makes the farmer even safer. Alternatively, make it so that no warp stabbed ship can use an acceleration gate. Better yet, do both.

I was sure you had some interesting fixes in store, but it seems like you do not, just more spaghetti at the wall.
Endo Saissore
Afterburners of Eve'il Inc.
#118 - 2014-05-09 19:46:21 UTC
First off that's an excellent post Bienator.

Secondly there should be no reason for a sec loss inside a plex. Activating the gate doesn't have to make you a suspect. Just make it so there is no adjustments to your sec status when you engage in a plex. It is a huge disadvantage to wait until the pirate has dictated range and fired the first shot before I attack. FW pilots should not be penalized for defending themselves against an aggressive act. And entering a plex is an aggressive act.

(unless they are just entering to hold a nice conversation with you about your ship of choice. In that case, hi pirate how are you doing!?)
Ultimate Tales
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#119 - 2014-05-09 19:49:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Ultimate Tales
So... 30km from timer... all farmer now will stay on 29km far away from timer structure, when they see some1 on scan they will move 500meters and cloak. nice fix... actually you remove ability for ppl who sit inside in plex and hunt for farmers. Before I can jump inside plex in cloak and kill damn stabed/cloaked farmer. Now cant if I wasnt jump inside before them. Still they will run cause are stabbed... Just block entrance with wcs/cloak if they arent stealth ships like | astero/stealth bomber/cover ops |. You fix nothing CCP. Shame on you, FW still ****** up totally for ppl who want fight. You create zone for farmers with cloak/warp stabs. You are farming on customers like they farming LP...

I quit FW today, nothing to do there.

ps. sorry for my bad english, that isnt my primary language :P
TrouserDeagle
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#120 - 2014-05-09 19:50:56 UTC
Endo Saissore wrote:
First off that's an excellent post Bienator.

Secondly there should be no reason for a sec loss inside a plex. Activating the gate doesn't have to make you a suspect. Just make it so there is no adjustments to your sec status when you engage in a plex. It is a huge disadvantage to wait until the pirate has dictated range and fired the first shot before I attack. FW pilots should not be penalized for defending themselves against an aggressive act. And entering a plex is an aggressive act.

(unless they are just entering to hold a nice conversation with you about your ship of choice. In that case, hi pirate how are you doing!?)

if he's a pirate then you can attack whenever. spawning and entering a plex in my system is an aggressive act, more like.