These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A message regarding vandalism of the EVE Universe Monument

First post First post First post
Author
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#41 - 2014-05-07 16:47:52 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
mkint wrote:
Just to be clear... you think any country would extradite someone over vandalism? Isn't that just a misdemeanor? They might get perma-banned from iceland, but be realistic. Most people don't consider vandalism to be that big a deal (unless it happens to themselves.)
Would you like an example or two of exactly this?

Singapore wanted the UK to extradite someone for spray painting a train carriage.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Singapore. They would probably request extradition for failing to flush a public toilet.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Bjurn Akely
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2014-05-07 16:52:24 UTC
First: WELL DONE CCP. Swift, clean and hard.

I would like to hear CCP's stance on the (reportedly) increasingly abhorrent behavior during Fanfest. Reports of vandalism to Harpa restrooms, fights during pub crawl, open hostilities and such.

Does CCP discuss these things internally? Are CCP considering themselves in any way responsible?

I'm not laying blame here, be sure of that. The people doing 'bad stuff' are to blame.

We all know that CCP foster an atmosphere of "party hard" and "HTFU". Personally I've opted out of the Pub Crawls since the flag was introduced as it is unwise to mix alcohol and real life PvP.

I'd very much like to bring my kids to Fanfest. I'd like the community to be nice and celebrate the game we love. Not read about beaten up faces, arrests and criminal charges. Frankly it reeks. And although a small part of the attendees are the problem CCP is probably the only entity that can do something about it.

Perhaps this is an issue for another thread. Please feel free to move it, if that is the case.
Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#43 - 2014-05-07 16:53:17 UTC
I highly doubt it will remain confidential for long.
Marsha Mallow
#44 - 2014-05-07 16:55:56 UTC
mkint wrote:
You've never done something stupid IRL to impress your friends? When you do inevitably do something stupid to impress your friends in the future, now that there's a precedence of the consequences for honesty, are you going to come clean?

Er, yes and we all got arrested. But let off after a stern telling off. Being chucked in the back of a van then banged up for a few hours usually does bring things into perspective. The simplest thing to do as a result is learn the lesson and not do it again. Some actions do indeed have consequences.

GJ for sorting it CCP, don't take it too personally. Was just a few dimwits acting up. I doubt they seriously intended to insult CCP & the playerbase, but they did, so deal with it as you see fit. Reading some of the feedback comments you could choose to view the majority response in a positive light.

ps. this doesn't mean we can't chain ourselves peacefully to the monument and chant about our POS/Sov fixes does it?

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Innominate
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#45 - 2014-05-07 16:59:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Innominate
While it's not clear from the post who involved got banned for what, I do hope that the six month ban was for the only person punished who actually stepped forward. A permaban after admitting responsibility seems both harsh and counterproductive.

The idea that anyone involved (unless they lived in Iceland) would face any real world legal repercussions beyond being unable to return to Iceland is silly.
Bjurn Akely
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2014-05-07 17:02:05 UTC
mkint wrote:

You've never done something stupid IRL to impress your friends? When you do inevitably do something stupid to impress your friends in the future, now that there's a precedence of the consequences for honesty, are you going to come clean?

Yes. It even went to the prosecutor. But that was not in any way related to eve. In fact it was back in the -80's.

What's your point?
mkint
#47 - 2014-05-07 17:05:25 UTC
Bjurn Akely wrote:
mkint wrote:

Yes. It even went to the prosecutor. But that was not in any way related to eve. In fact it was back in the -80's.

What's your point?

The point is, if the penalties for honesty is a harsh punishment, and the penalty for lying is, well, nothing, would you be honest?

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Jessica Danikov
Network Danikov
#48 - 2014-05-07 17:05:45 UTC
Couldn't we have at least given the option to go a round in the ring with Gunni next FanFest?
Bjurn Akely
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2014-05-07 17:07:42 UTC
mkint wrote:
Bjurn Akely wrote:
mkint wrote:

What's your point?

The point is, if the penalties for honesty is a harsh punishment, and the penalty for lying is, well, nothing, would you be honest?

Depends on the issue. IF I had made something really stupid, under the influence, and I woke up to regret it and feeling very bad about it yes. If not, then no.

But what I would have done, or you or anybody else is hardly the issue here.
Tollen Gallen
Glory of Reprisal Enterprise
#50 - 2014-05-07 17:08:26 UTC
I like EVE.

Zimmy Zeta - I f*cking love martinis. the original ones, with gin, not that vodka martini crap. Your old Friends can use me for 7 days, free!!!

mkint
#51 - 2014-05-07 17:09:37 UTC
Bjurn Akely wrote:
mkint wrote:
Bjurn Akely wrote:
mkint wrote:

What's your point?

Depends on the issue. IF I had made something really stupid, under the influence, and I woke up to regret it and feeling very bad about it yes. If not, then no.

But what I would have done, or you or anybody else is hardly the issue here.

It is an issue if it leads to more people trying harder to get away with it when they do bad/dumb stuff. "whatever you do, don't get caught."

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Bjurn Akely
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2014-05-07 17:14:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Bjurn Akely
mkint wrote:

It is an issue if it leads to more people trying harder to get away with it when they do bad/dumb stuff. "whatever you do, don't get caught."

I'll give that a serious reply if you can tell me what the punishment would have been had said parties, as you claim, not come forward.
Tkone Green
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2014-05-07 17:20:11 UTC
mkint wrote:

Not being able to play a video game is not a harsh punishment.
Ryunosuke Kusanagi
#54 - 2014-05-07 17:22:05 UTC
I think that right now, we take the time to remind ourselves that despite the animosity we might feel about other members within our community, that the feelings stay INGAME, MOST of us are pretty decent people out of game (even if we do do some dumb things). That being said, I am glad CCP has chosen to take action in the way that they have. To be honest, while it affects us all, this incident really should be between CCP, the people involved, and local authorities.
Sipphakta en Gravonere
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2014-05-07 17:25:04 UTC
Tkone Green wrote:
mkint wrote:

Not being able to play a video game is not a harsh punishment.

For someone who gets so upset about another player in a video game that he seeks out a monument to that videogame to scratch out that other player's character name this might well be a harsh punishment.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#56 - 2014-05-07 17:25:24 UTC
Random Interrupt wrote:
This is why we can't have nice things.

On the contrary; this is why we can have them.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#57 - 2014-05-07 17:28:05 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Random Interrupt wrote:

i know this is off topic but you left the CFC? You are not quitting the game are you?

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Kristalll
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#58 - 2014-05-07 17:28:32 UTC
Trish Tokila wrote:
mkint wrote:
Hmm... some of the guys involved turned themselves in, and still got perma-banned? Not condoning what they did in any way whatsoever, but doesn't such a harsh response disincentivize people in the future from admitting to what they've done while drunk?

Instead of facing international criminal charges, potentially spending time in real-person jail, and outrageous fines to replace this, the player can no longer play this online video game. Not only that, but CCP won't tell the community who to lynch.

Yeah, he's quite lucky that CCP has taken a lighter approach on this. A much more heavy fisted approach would not be out of line in this scenario.

Remember, he didn't blow someone's spaceship up without their consent. He's committed actually serious crime. In a world that's actually real whether we want it to be or not.

Realistically speaking, those "international criminal charges" would have no weight and would result in nothing criminal at all.

The best CCP would be able to do once the individuals returned to the US (or whereever) is a civil lawsuit.

I would agree that the permabans serve as a disincentive to people turning themselves in in the future for stuff like this.

And to extend the meta, why did Erotica 1 not get such an explanation of the reason for the ban?

“Die trying” is the proudest human thing.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#59 - 2014-05-07 17:29:52 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Random Interrupt wrote:

i know this is off topic but you left the CFC? You are not quitting the game are you?

My subscriptions are currently cancelled.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Ibrahim Vaughn Holtzman
the holtzman experience
CAStabouts
#60 - 2014-05-07 17:30:50 UTC
Random Interrupt wrote: