These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A message regarding vandalism of the EVE Universe Monument

First post First post First post
Author
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#21 - 2014-05-07 16:21:07 UTC
That hangover will last a while.
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#22 - 2014-05-07 16:21:51 UTC
mkint wrote:
Hmm... some of the guys involved turned themselves in, and still got perma-banned? Not condoning what they did in any way whatsoever, but doesn't such a harsh response disincentivize people in the future from admitting to what they've done while drunk?

True enough i remember in Canada back in 06 a guy urinated on a war memorial and he ended up doing a public apology for his actions.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/teen-offers-heartfelt-apology-for-urinating-on-national-war-memorial-1.573944

Personally i think a public appology would have been the best course of action as they did with the Mittani.

They let him say sorry for his public antics when he was way to drunk... I dont know about you but i personally think publicly avocation of suicide is worse then a scratch that can be repaired. but alas this was not up to me.

Personally i feel the perma ban was too harsh but i do respect CCP for sticking to their guns and enforcing it... Hopefully this will lead to the statue never being defaced again.

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#23 - 2014-05-07 16:22:08 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
mkint wrote:
Hmm... some of the guys involved turned themselves in, and still got perma-banned? Not condoning what they did in any way whatsoever, but doesn't such a harsh response disincentivize people in the future from admitting to what they've done while drunk?

The guys that turned themselves in only got permabanned.

How do you know, if the further actions that Falcon suggested MIGHT happen, are being kept private?
CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#24 - 2014-05-07 16:22:23 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
What steps has CCP taken (or plans to take) to prevent future abuse/vandalism of the monument?

We will make several offerings to the Huldufólk (elves) to watch over it and bring mischief and misery to those who stand against us.

CCP Goliath | QA Director | EVE Illuminati | @CCP_Goliath

Dirk MacGirk
Specter Syndicate
#25 - 2014-05-07 16:24:42 UTC
Well done, CCP.
Trish Tokila
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#26 - 2014-05-07 16:25:14 UTC
mkint wrote:

Instead of facing international criminal charges, potentially spending time in real-person jail, and outrageous fines to replace this, the player can no longer play this online video game. Not only that, but CCP won't tell the community who to lynch.

Yeah, he's quite lucky that CCP has taken a lighter approach on this. A much more heavy fisted approach would not be out of line in this scenario.

Remember, he didn't blow someone's spaceship up without their consent. He's committed actually serious crime. In a world that's actually real whether we want it to be or not.
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#27 - 2014-05-07 16:26:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Fury
CCP Goliath wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
What steps has CCP taken (or plans to take) to prevent future abuse/vandalism of the monument?

We will make several offerings to the Huldufólk (elves) to watch over it and bring mischief and misery to those who stand against us.

You likely only have to protect it from the hoopleheads for a few days every year, so make sure it's a BIG offering the week before.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#28 - 2014-05-07 16:27:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Trish Tokila wrote:
mkint wrote:

Instead of facing international criminal charges, potentially spending time in real-person jail, and outrageous fines to replace this, the player can no longer play this online video game. Not only that, but CCP won't tell the community who to lynch.

Yeah, he's quite lucky that CCP has taken a lighter approach on this. A much more heavy fisted approach would not be out of line in this scenario.

Remember, he didn't blow someone's spaceship up without their consent. He's committed actually serious crime. In a world that's actually real whether we want it to be or not.
Pretty much this, and being drunk is a defence that won't stand in any court that I know of.

The monument defence force for next years FanFest will look like this.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#29 - 2014-05-07 16:30:29 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:

Were they the ones responsible for pulling the cord during the keynote?

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2014-05-07 16:30:56 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Trish Tokila wrote:
mkint wrote:

Pretty much this, and being drunk is a defence that won't stand in a any court that I know of.
hell yeah, now let's put this behind us and go back exploding stuff ingame as we're supposed to.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

mkint
#31 - 2014-05-07 16:31:32 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Trish Tokila wrote:
mkint wrote:

Pretty much this, and being drunk is a defence that won't stand in a any court that I know of.

Just to be clear... you think any country would extradite someone over vandalism? Isn't that just a misdemeanor? They might get perma-banned from iceland, but be realistic. Most people don't consider vandalism to be that big a deal (unless it happens to themselves.)

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Lady Areola Fappington
#32 - 2014-05-07 16:33:47 UTC
mkint wrote:

So the lesson is to be better at not getting caught? It's not like any government is going to extradite someone to iceland over vandalism. Vandalism laws are barely even enforced in most US cities, unless there's assault charges involved too. I mean, it's not like there's never going to be real world crimes involved in EVE ever again.

I would definitely not mind seeing the guys beat black and blue over it, but bruises fade, but permabans are forever.

I would be surprised in the guilty party actually did see criminal charges over it, for just that reason.

On the flip side, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be TOO difficult for CCP to pursue civil remedies, doubly so if the people involved live in a country that CCP has a business presence in.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#33 - 2014-05-07 16:34:38 UTC
mkint wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Trish Tokila wrote:
mkint wrote:

Just to be clear... you think any country would extradite someone over vandalism? Isn't that just a misdemeanor? They might get perma-banned from iceland, but be realistic. Most people don't consider vandalism to be that big a deal (unless it happens to themselves.)

Probably depends on if this is considered a National Monument or not by the Icelandic government.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#34 - 2014-05-07 16:35:37 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:

Try one of these it would certainly fit the situation well.

(I got one from my swordsmith - yes I have a swordsmith - and I haven't seen any trolls)

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Trish Tokila
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#35 - 2014-05-07 16:38:52 UTC
mkint wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Trish Tokila wrote:
mkint wrote:

Either way, permabanning him from the eve community is not out of line. He's not welcome here anymore. And in a much different way than others who aren't welcome yet stick around.
admiral root
Red Galaxy
#36 - 2014-05-07 16:40:40 UTC
Swift justice FTW.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Belt Scout
Thread Lockaholics Anonymous
#37 - 2014-05-07 16:44:30 UTC
CCP did the right thing. They pretty much don't care about 99% of the chaos we cause in game. When it comes down to something external, such as bringing the company into a bad light (E1), or damaging the companies physical or intellectual property, then they are obligated to address those issues.

Personally, I would be surprised if they are able to recoup the costs to have that entire plate removed, repaired, and reinstalled.

Thanks to CCP Falcon for keeping us informed. It's over with and we can get back to our regularly scheduled program.

They say most of your brain shuts down on the EvE forums. All but the impatient side, and the sarcastic side. No wonder I'm still awake.

**This IS my main so STFU.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#38 - 2014-05-07 16:45:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
mkint wrote:
Would you like an example or two of exactly this?

Singapore wanted the UK to extradite someone for spray painting a train carriage.

The US extradited American citizens to Canada on vandalism charges.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

mkint
#39 - 2014-05-07 16:45:49 UTC
Trish Tokila wrote:
mkint wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Trish Tokila wrote:
mkint wrote:

Either way, permabanning him from the eve community is not out of line. He's not welcome here anymore. And in a much different way than others who aren't welcome yet stick around.

You've never done something stupid IRL to impress your friends? When you do inevitably do something stupid to impress your friends in the future, now that there's a precedence of the consequences for honesty, are you going to come clean?

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Random Interrupt
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#40 - 2014-05-07 16:47:35 UTC
This is why we can't have nice things.