These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev Blog: Giving Drones an Assist

First post First post
Author
stoicfaux
#741 - 2014-04-04 12:25:49 UTC
Fozzie's post trumps the dev blog because otherwise people would suddenly lose their ability to fly T2 light and medium drones in the expansion.

Currently: SDO V is required for T2 light/med drones.
Summer: T2 light/medium drones will require LDO or MDO respectively.

If LDO/MDO were to be split from CDO, and your CDO was only at IV, you would no longer be able to fly T2 light/med drones in the summer expansion. Hence, why CCP Fozzie's comment trumps the dev blog.


Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#742 - 2014-04-04 13:09:21 UTC
Will fighters and fighter bombers be affected by the race specialization skills?

Not today spaghetti.

Abigail Sagan
Skeleton Liberation Front
#743 - 2014-04-04 13:11:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Abigail Sagan
stoicfaux wrote:
Fozzie's post trumps the dev blog because otherwise people would suddenly lose their ability to fly T2 light and medium drones in the expansion.

Currently: SDO V is required for T2 light/med drones.
Summer: T2 light/medium drones will require LDO or MDO respectively.

If LDO/MDO were to be split from CDO, and your CDO was only at IV, you would no longer be able to fly T2 light/med drones in the summer expansion. Hence, why CCP Fozzie's comment trumps the dev blog.




I most graciously disagree. Even though your deduction is most likely correct, DevBlog has more authority than a single developer writing something on forums. CCP cannot expect everyone to read the forums to find the Right and Correct Interpretation of the DevBlog. Therefore if DevBlog is wrong, CCP better fix it. To do otherwise would be a new public relation fiasco (maybe not a major one, but fiasco none the less)
Crazy KSK
Tsunami Cartel
#744 - 2014-04-04 13:24:15 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Will fighters and fighter bombers be affected by the race specialization skills?


no they are not tech 2 drones
bonuses affecting new fibos damage are
drone interfacing 10%/lvl
fibo skill 20%lvl
and the new SC bonus 100%

Quote CCP Fozzie: ... The days of balance and forget are over.

King Fu Hostile
Shiva Furnace
#745 - 2014-04-04 13:46:51 UTC
Fozzie,

have you considered not decreasing the fighter base damage? I first thought these changes would buff them enough to make then usable, but if you are going to need to use two low slots just to make them as sucky as before, this is actually a nerf.


marVLs
#746 - 2014-04-04 15:47:49 UTC  |  Edited by: marVLs
Still no use for Cal and Am drones, but they're some great ideas in this thread.

Still won't use Heavys over Sentrys.

Still drone UI and laaaag interaction is the biggest problem.

Drones need implants and more/better rigs (make drone damage rig instead of sentry only).

Drone control range should be buffed, same goes for damage of Heavy drones instead of nerfing Sentrys...



Overall changes are just "meeeh", they just touch a little drone problems without solving them. As i can see there's a long way for them to being fixed :/
Erasmus Phoenix
Avalanche.
#747 - 2014-04-04 15:56:41 UTC
King Fu Hostile wrote:
Fozzie,

have you considered not decreasing the fighter base damage? I first thought these changes would buff them enough to make then usable, but if you are going to need to use two low slots just to make them as sucky as before, this is actually a nerf.




Fighters won't require low slots to make them do as much damage as they used to, Fighter Bombers will.
King Fu Hostile
Shiva Furnace
#748 - 2014-04-04 16:23:26 UTC
Erasmus Phoenix wrote:
King Fu Hostile wrote:
Fozzie,

have you considered not decreasing the fighter base damage? I first thought these changes would buff them enough to make then usable, but if you are going to need to use two low slots just to make them as sucky as before, this is actually a nerf.




Fighters won't require low slots to make them do as much damage as they used to, Fighter Bombers will.


Hmm?

Fozzie the Dev wrote:
To compensate for these changes, the base damage of Fighters and Fighter Bombers is being reduced.


Erasmus Phoenix
Avalanche.
#749 - 2014-04-04 16:41:10 UTC
King Fu Hostile wrote:
Erasmus Phoenix wrote:
King Fu Hostile wrote:
Fozzie,

have you considered not decreasing the fighter base damage? I first thought these changes would buff them enough to make then usable, but if you are going to need to use two low slots just to make them as sucky as before, this is actually a nerf.




Fighters won't require low slots to make them do as much damage as they used to, Fighter Bombers will.


Hmm?

Fozzie the Dev wrote:
To compensate for these changes, the base damage of Fighters and Fighter Bombers is being reduced.




Please, read the sentence right after the one you quoted to me.

"Fighters will find that with Drone Interfacing trained to five their basic damage returns to normal and all the other skills and bonuses from Drone Damage Amplifiers are pure additions. Fighter Bombers will need Drone Interfacing 5 and two Tech Two Drone Damage Amplifiers to slightly surpass their current damage rates"
Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#750 - 2014-04-04 16:49:48 UTC
it seems odd there aren't any T2/navy fighters/bombers

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Methonash Qorranto
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#751 - 2014-04-04 16:50:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Methonash Qorranto
Erasmus Phoenix wrote:

Please, read the sentence right after the one you quoted to me.

"Fighters will find that with Drone Interfacing trained to five their basic damage returns to normal and all the other skills and bonuses from Drone Damage Amplifiers are pure additions.

Fighter Bombers will need Drone Interfacing 5 and two Tech Two Drone Damage Amplifiers to slightly surpass their current damage rates"


Erasmus Phoenix is correct.

Harvey James wrote:

it seems odd there aren't any T2/navy fighters/bombers


This is not odd because, in parallel, there are no navy/faction/tech2 ammunition types for capital weapon systems (e.g. dreadnoughts, titan guns or missile launchers).
Erasmus Phoenix
Avalanche.
#752 - 2014-04-04 16:54:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Erasmus Phoenix
There actually is faction ammo for capital weapons. Just not T2 ammo/guns, or faction guns (lol)
Harvey James
The Sengoku Legacy
#753 - 2014-04-04 17:03:27 UTC
Methonash Qorranto wrote:
Erasmus Phoenix wrote:

Please, read the sentence right after the one you quoted to me.

"Fighters will find that with Drone Interfacing trained to five their basic damage returns to normal and all the other skills and bonuses from Drone Damage Amplifiers are pure additions.

Fighter Bombers will need Drone Interfacing 5 and two Tech Two Drone Damage Amplifiers to slightly surpass their current damage rates"


Erasmus Phoenix is correct.

Harvey James wrote:

it seems odd there aren't any T2/navy fighters/bombers


This is not odd because, in parallel, there are no navy/faction/tech2 ammunition types for capital weapon systems (e.g. dreadnoughts, titan guns or missile launchers).


a further oversight on CCP's part then not too have T2 guns/missiles .. more for cap pilots too train :)

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Inspiration
#754 - 2014-04-04 19:39:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Inspiration
I LOVE IT!


But Tippia does have valid and strong points:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4424409#post4424409


I wrote a short balancing proposal that could address them:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4438417#post4438417

I am serious!

Draconus Lofwyr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#755 - 2014-04-04 19:42:19 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
Methonash Qorranto wrote:
Erasmus Phoenix wrote:

Please, read the sentence right after the one you quoted to me.

"Fighters will find that with Drone Interfacing trained to five their basic damage returns to normal and all the other skills and bonuses from Drone Damage Amplifiers are pure additions.

Fighter Bombers will need Drone Interfacing 5 and two Tech Two Drone Damage Amplifiers to slightly surpass their current damage rates"


Erasmus Phoenix is correct.

Harvey James wrote:

it seems odd there aren't any T2/navy fighters/bombers


This is not odd because, in parallel, there are no navy/faction/tech2 ammunition types for capital weapon systems (e.g. dreadnoughts, titan guns or missile launchers).


a further oversight on CCP's part then not too have T2 guns/missiles .. more for cap pilots too train :)



dreads and titans do have the option of faction ammo/crystals for the capital guns. there are also meta 1 guns to choose from.

but as far as supercarrier changes, after the proposed changes if i don't change anything, the dps on nyx will drop....that is a nerf. if you want to release faction modules, that's fine, but modules are not a buff, they are a new OPTION for fitting, which means more money to spend and more modules to carry in the already tight cargo holds. if you can't figure out the math for the new modules without nerfing the supercarriers, GO BACK TO SCHOOL and don't release the changes. This is not a change for the better, its a change for changes sake. so many problems could have been fixed, so many balances could have been done, but instead, you choose to further marginalize an already specialized ships. every time a new change is mentioned, I cringe and wonder how much worse can they be. They have lost any real self defense, e-war invulnerability is so limited anymore, its like cellular carriers calling it unlimited bandwidth (until you hit a limit) remote ECM burst is nothing but an annoyance since TiDi. We will all now have to figure out the logistics of removing half our FB's and then try and sell them on a newly glutted market. At least we don't have to worry about e-warp bumping anymore, but meh, should never have been an issue in the first place. no more 15 min timers, of safety if tackled on a disconnect, they have until downtime to kill you if they want. considering the supercarrier model is smaller than some dreads or freighters, why cant it dock? no logic there.
honestly, don't touch fighters or fighter bombers till the full capital re balance takes place.
King Rothgar
Deadly Solutions
#756 - 2014-04-04 20:04:44 UTC
Overall the changes seem reasonable in theory. There is one thing I take issue with however, and that's the faction drones. Faction drones should be outright superior to t2. It shouldn't be a trade off between certain things or simply requiring lower skills. Such weak advantages don't reflect the enormous cost increase over t2. This is especially true of drones which are, for all intents and purposes, basically just ammo.

I suggest that even the crappiest faction drones (those integrated ones I think) should do more raw damage than their t2 counterparts (with lvl5 racial spec skill) or equal damage with a significant speed, range, tracking and/or HP advantage. This idea should also be applied to faction turrets, plates and all other faction modules that are clearly inferior to their t2 counterparts. Since drones are being updated here, it's a good time to solve the drone side of it. The other types of broken faction items can be dealt with later.

[u]Fireworks and snowballs are great, but what I really want is a corpse launcher.[/u]

Promiscuous Female
GBS Logistics and Fives Support
Goonswarm Federation
#757 - 2014-04-04 20:21:38 UTC
Draconus Lofwyr wrote:
honestly, don't touch fighters or fighter bombers till the full capital re balance takes place.

you do know that ccp is allowed to make incremental improvements on things without fixing every real or imaginary concern tangentially related to the thing they're working on right
Rhingda BatFone
Isk Dodgers
#758 - 2014-04-04 22:17:49 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Fozzie's post trumps the dev blog because otherwise people would suddenly lose their ability to fly T2 light and medium drones in the expansion.

Currently: SDO V is required for T2 light/med drones.
Summer: T2 light/medium drones will require LDO or MDO respectively.

If LDO/MDO were to be split from CDO, and your CDO was only at IV, you would no longer be able to fly T2 light/med drones in the summer expansion. Hence, why CCP Fozzie's comment trumps the dev blog.





Yes. That makes sense. Now is CCP making sense?
Assuming they are could be dangerous.
Gabriel Karade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#759 - 2014-04-04 22:26:14 UTC
What about changes to the underlying mechanics, which have been creaking for the past 10 years?

The stupid 'always try to orbit' function need to go, at the very least the following should be added to drone 'orders':

Arrow*Halt* - drones cut all propulsion but continue to fire
Arrow*Approach* - drones head straight at the target using MWD
Arrow*Keep at range* - 500m, 1000m, 2000m, 5000m options. Crucially, drones using this would not try to orbit
Arrow*Orbit at* - 500m, 1000m, 2000m, 5000 options. Lets you decide if you open up range to try and avoid misses due to tracking.

Beyond these simple commands you could start to get funky; adding drone formations, preset manoeuvres ('strafe', 'bracket left/right', 'thrusters only') e.t.c, but at the very least add some basic functionality - drones missing a target because they are orbiting like retards, with no means of stopping them as the pilot, is so 2004....

X

War Machine: http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=386293

Gospadin
Bastard Children of Poinen
#760 - 2014-04-04 22:52:37 UTC
For everyone who currently has T2 sentries, whining about having to train racial drone spec to 1 to keep them:


H
T
F
U