These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Dev Blog: Giving Drones an Assist

First post First post
Author
CCP Dolan
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2014-04-01 17:30:25 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Phantom
Check out some ground breaking changes to everyone's favorite little helpers, drones.

You can find the dev blog with all it's graph and spreadsheety goodness here.

CCP Dolan | Community Representative

Twitter: @CCPDolan

Gooby pls

CCP Fozzie
C C P
C C P Alliance
#2 - 2014-04-01 17:32:05 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Fozzie
Looking forward to all your feedback. CCP Rise and I have been working hard on these changes and we think they'll be great for the drone ecosystem as a whole.

:Edit:

I'm seeing a fair bit of confusion about the details of the Sentry changes. I left the nitty gritty details out of the text section of the blog since they don't lend themselves to easy summaries and the actual numbers were in the spreadsheet, but I'll go over the end results of the changes to T1 and T2 sentries here so people can see the whole picture. These numbers assume max skills:

Curator I - +15% tracking, -50% falloff, +18.15% damage
Warden I - +40% falloff, +12% damage
Garde I - +50% falloff, +2% damage
Bouncer I - +60% tracking, -12.5% optimal, +14.3% falloff, +2.86% damage

Curator II - +15% tracking, -50% falloff, +8.31% damage
Warden II - +40% falloff, +2.67% damage
Garde II - +50% falloff, -6.5% damage
Bouncer II - +60% tracking, -12.5% optimal, +14.3% falloff, -5.71% damage

Game Designer | Team Five-0

Twitter: @CCP_Fozzie
Twitch chat: ccp_fozzie

CCP Logibro
C C P
C C P Alliance
#3 - 2014-04-01 17:34:34 UTC
As someone that actually has Amarr Drone Specialization V, I'm happy that I can finally get some use out of that skill!

CCP Logibro // EVE Universe Community Team // Distributor of Nanites // Patron Saint of Logistics

@CCP_Logibro

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#4 - 2014-04-01 17:39:11 UTC
CCP Logibro wrote:
As someone that actually has Amarr Drone Specialization V, I'm happy that I can finally get some use out of that skill!

woah, it must be like april first or something

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

CCP Logibro
C C P
C C P Alliance
#5 - 2014-04-01 17:40:13 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Logibro
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
CCP Logibro wrote:

woah, it must be like april first or something

No joke I seriously have that skill (and Caldari Drone Spec V)

CCP Logibro // EVE Universe Community Team // Distributor of Nanites // Patron Saint of Logistics

@CCP_Logibro

Antoine Jordan
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-04-01 17:40:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Antoine Jordan
Overall, the changes look good. I didn't see any mention of change to drone behavior though. Has there been any thought to allowing bonuses to affect drone speed while they're NOT mwding? For most situtations, the mwd-orbit-mwd-orbit cycle that drones go through significantly hurts their applied dps. My understanding is that all drone speed bonuses only affect MWD speed. I could be wrong, but if not, it seems like that would be a good change.

edit: i realize this could lead to cases where drones out-track themselves by virtue of orbiting too fast? I guess this is more complicated than I initially thought.
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2014-04-01 17:40:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Anhenka
Dev Blog was really quite hazy about the some of the important bit of the Sentry Drone alterations.

With the base increase of T1 Sentries, and the 2% increase per level, will a char with say Racial Drone spec IV and all the other drone skills maxed deal equal or less damage with a set of T2 Sentries (Say Gardes) than they did previously with the same skills?

You spelled the damage changes out quite clearly for everything else, but left the effects on T2 sentries quite hazy.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-04-01 17:42:36 UTC
Love it, one thing though.

Any chance on moving the bulk of the drone HP put of hull and evenly distributing it between hull, shield and armor?

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#9 - 2014-04-01 17:43:14 UTC
Sounds pretty good to me. I wish you guys used this rebalance as a time to adjust fighter size (and carrier drone bay size to match), so that carriers cannot carry as many extra drones. Make them 600m3 if you are worried about subcaps being able to carry them, or better yet, make them 300m3.

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

Grarr Dexx
Blue Canary
Watch This
#10 - 2014-04-01 17:44:40 UTC
So how about giving drone assist back to pirates in lowsec?
CCP Fozzie
C C P
C C P Alliance
#11 - 2014-04-01 17:46:03 UTC
Anhenka wrote:
Dev Blog was really quite hazy about the some of the important bit of the Sentry Drone alterations.

With the base increase of T1 Sentries, and the 2% increase per level, will a char with say Racial Drone spec IV and all the other drone skills maxed deal equal or less damage with a set of T2 Sentries (Say Gardes) than they did previously with the same skills?[

You spelled the damage changes out quite clearly for everything else, but left the effects on T2 sentries quite hazy.

This was mainly because the spelling out the details a bit more long winded for sentries since they're not changing by uniform percentages. I decided to pass along the basics and let the spreadsheet at the end provide the specifics.

In practice, damage with T2 Gardes and Bouncers will be going down a bit (but with Bouncers gaining a lot of tracking and Gardes gaining a fair amount of falloff) while damage with T2 Curators and Wardens goes up a bit.

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#12 - 2014-04-01 17:46:59 UTC
Every drone needs a helping hand.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#13 - 2014-04-01 17:47:25 UTC
let me get this straight

instead of posting unfunny april fools' articles you're making a comprehensive, long-awaited balance pass on eve's most ubiquitous weapons system

... this is an outrage. contacting csm with angry evemail
Sala Cameron
Free-Space-Ranger
#14 - 2014-04-01 17:48:02 UTC
Quite excited about these changes, and now they're finally posted Cool
CCP Fozzie
C C P
C C P Alliance
#15 - 2014-04-01 17:48:22 UTC
Grarr Dexx wrote:
So how about giving drone assist back to pirates in lowsec?

The opportunities for confusion about the crimewarch implications of actions (the pilot who assisted the drones would lose sec status and get gate guns without any direct action on their part) means this is not something we plan to change.

Drone assist will continue to be a mechanic that is somewhat limited in empire space, along with other mechanics such as bombs and bubbles.

Sentient Blade
Crisis Atmosphere
Coalition of the Unfortunate
#16 - 2014-04-01 17:49:08 UTC
Yay, more skills for relatively new players to train!
Myxx
The Scope
#17 - 2014-04-01 17:49:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Myxx
this is april fools, right?

... right?

I'm not sure if i can take anything seriously yet or not. I'll wait til tomorrow to see if this is still around.
Grarr Dexx
Blue Canary
Watch This
#18 - 2014-04-01 17:49:44 UTC
Good to see lowsec is still a solid meh out of ten in your current 'iteration' plans.
TrouserDeagle
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#19 - 2014-04-01 17:50:15 UTC  |  Edited by: TrouserDeagle
balance stuff is supposed to go in F&I

are we going to get medium drones on medium drone ships, or is it only going to be on special snowflake gurista ships?

when are my 8km/s warrior IIs going to be able to kill a 5km/s frigate?

and lastly, and can you actually do this: can you make sentry damage rigs into just drone damage rigs?

edit: don't be jealous of my drone skills
TheMercenaryKing
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#20 - 2014-04-01 17:50:31 UTC
Rename the blog Fozzie. It was misleading.
123Next pageLast page