These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jester Trek Latest Blog

First post First post
Author
Salvos Rhoska
#6621 - 2014-03-27 23:55:59 UTC
Most of the people defending this, profit from what goes on in the Bonus Room, either in ISK or because they enjoy the recordings.

Some few others are concerned of the slippery slope effects to action.

The massive remainder of unassociated posters are against it (for various reasons).
Tor Norman
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6622 - 2014-03-27 23:56:15 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Why are people so outraged and angry?

Erotica offered to quadruple his space-game monies if he gave her it all
Sokhar wanted to take the deal, gave her all his space-game monies
Erotica asked him to read articles and sing songs to get the payout
Sokhar played along for a while, then got sick and raged

To me, thats an utterly trivial string of events - it's nonsense, a wasted couple of hours, and a setback in a video game.

Why on gods green earth are people acting like Erotica bullied him, tortured him, broke in-game rules, broke real life laws, or anything else.

Please, I really would like an explanation - and not just a regurgitation of the sensationalist claptrap Ripard Teg spewed on his blog for page hits / to demonise a competing csm candidate.

I'll wait

331 iterations pages into this thread and I too, am still waiting for an explanation better than "I think it was mean".

I talk about EVE trading and general space violence in my blog.

For the ISK and the yarr!

Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#6623 - 2014-03-27 23:56:22 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
Xuixien wrote:
How many times are you going to answer his question before you realize that he'll never accept your answer because it doesn't fit his agenda?

How should I answer it so it fits his agenda?

You have to say "The correct answer is ______." so that he can then ask you "Where is that written so I can look it up?" and then let him lead you on and on to the insinuation he wants to create.

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Bloodmyst Ranwar
Leviathan Rising
Fortis Et Certus
#6624 - 2014-03-27 23:57:14 UTC
Xuixien wrote:

Oh okay.

So it was okay before, but now you're here, so something must be done!

Well, I wasn't here before so I'm not sure if this behavior was widely accepted. Now that I am here, a part of this community saying "this is not OK" and "something needs to be done," is there a problem with that?

Playing a video game for (x) amount of time doesn't give you the right to bully others.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#6625 - 2014-03-27 23:57:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Lucine Delacourt wrote:
None of this would be a problem if there was an in game method of "payback" for scammers.

The perfect response is to not fall for the scam in the first place.

Obviously errors can occur during market orders and someone gets hit by a scam, but in general the best way to defeat the scammers is to play smarter and not get stung to begin with.

Remove that income and force them to go mining instead.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#6626 - 2014-03-27 23:58:15 UTC
Kristalll wrote:

so you're saying that Skyfighters doign a singing ransom on a CCP employee was not using CCP's product as a tool, to pull someone into a EXTRENAL VOICE SERVER for their pleasure?

And to top it off, you start every response with 'So'. That's just ******* annoying.

Mr Epeen Cool
Kristalll
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6627 - 2014-03-27 23:59:39 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Apparently in every Bonus Room the following question is asked as part of the required tasks:

"What if this was all just some sort of elaborate scam, what would you do next?"

So far Kristalll, Riot Girl, Scipio Artelius, Danalee, Xuixien have all been UNABLE to provide the correct answer for this.

If these people, many of which whom are very associated with the Bonus Room, cannot even provide the correct answer, then its not really likely that some random participant they sucker up the victim selection process is going to be able to either, is it.

I know it sad for them.
The ISK they fleece through this, and the suffering they so dearly need to fap to, could all now potentially be lost.

But you will adapt. That is what EVE is about, afterall.

You do the tasks and have fun. I have said this multiple times.

“Die trying” is the proudest human thing.

Cha'ka Khan
Dark Skies Dojo
Wrong Hole.
#6628 - 2014-03-28 00:00:22 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:

To me, thats an utterly trivial string of events - it's nonsense, a wasted couple of hours, and a setback in a video game.

Why on gods green earth are people acting like Erotica bullied him, tortured him, broke in-game rules, broke real life laws, or anything else.

Please, I really would like an explanation - and not just a regurgitation of the sensationalist claptrap Ripard Teg spewed on his blog for page hits / to demonise a competing csm candidate.

I'll wait

Because RIptard Teg wrote an inflammatory rhetorical article appealing to people's emotions.(in much the same way that Obama won the office of POTUS)

The only thing we have to fear, is new pilots and AFK miners. 

Kristalll
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6629 - 2014-03-28 00:00:32 UTC
Sapheni wrote:
Kristalll wrote:
Sapheni wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
Look what Microsoft is doing in cases like this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26766098

EVE should do similar.

Obviously it would need something to prevent abuse, but the concept is good. In EVE players with a red card could lose forum posting and local posting 'privileges'. No more forum trolls and no more scammers in Jita. Self regulation 4tw.

So essentially you can clean the forums of all dissenting opinions!

Brilliant!

No, just the trolls. Although there might be some collateral damage and we'd lose the frequent posters who aren't trolls (if there are any), but that would be no great loss. 30 red cards would probably be enough to restore the EVE forums to the nice warm fuzzy place they used to be pre-2006.

So...1984?

“Die trying” is the proudest human thing.

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#6630 - 2014-03-28 00:01:40 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Lucine Delacourt wrote:
None of this would be a problem if there was an in game method of "payback" for scammers.

The perfect response is to not fall for the scam in the first place.

Obviously errors can occur during market orders and someone gets hit by a scam, but in general the best way to defeat the scammers is to play smarter and not get stung in the first place.

Even if you do get stung by a scammer, there are numerous ways to actually get back at them. War dec, bounties, ganks, awoxing, anything you can think of.

If they're the kind who never leave station, then undermine their scams by raising awareness. If you ever see anyone conversing with them, PM them and inform them of the scammer. Let people know on the forums. Anchor secure cans with warnings, whatever you can do to get the word out.

There are plenty of ways to get "payback".
Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#6631 - 2014-03-28 00:03:00 UTC
Bloodmyst Ranwar wrote:
Xuixien wrote:

Oh okay.

So it was okay before, but now you're here, so something must be done!

Well, I wasn't here before so I'm not sure if this behavior was widely accepted. Now that I am here, a part of this community saying "this is not OK" and "something needs to be done," is there a problem with that?

Playing a video game for (x) amount of time doesn't give you the right to bully others.

Yeah, there is a problem with that.

An even larger part of the community is against suicide ganking and scamming than are against Erotica 1.

That's right: As angry as people are and as many posts are made in this thread, there have been a multitude more and equally angry posts made against suicide ganking, "piracy", etcetc. You could argue that, because of this, "the community is against that behavior". So should that behavior be punished?

Also, please point out where Erotica 1 "bullied" anyone. Thanks.

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#6632 - 2014-03-28 00:03:13 UTC
Tor Norman wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:

I'll wait

331 iterations pages into this thread and I too, am still waiting for an explanation better than "I think it was mean".

To be honest, "I think it was mean" is a perfectly acceptable reason.

You know why? Well obviously not and if you haven't figured it out by now, you never will know.

Mr Epeen Cool
Salvos Rhoska
#6633 - 2014-03-28 00:03:16 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
Riot Girl wrote:
Xuixien wrote:
How many times are you going to answer his question before you realize that he'll never accept your answer because it doesn't fit his agenda?

You have to say "The correct answer is ______." so that he can then ask you "Where is that written so I can look it up?" and then let him lead you on and on to the insinuation he wants to create.

Oh, sounds like you are worried that Im getting closer to nailing you on this.

Trying to stop people leaking evidence that the Bonus Room is infact not winnable by following an objective set of rules.

No, you know the Bonus Room is just a means to torment victims for your pleasure.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#6634 - 2014-03-28 00:03:50 UTC
So I heard an idea a while back, that if people use abusive or threatening language, you can report them, and if they get reported enough times they are perma flagged for it?

So we're pretty much banning mining. I like it.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#6635 - 2014-03-28 00:05:49 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
Riot Girl wrote:
Xuixien wrote:

It would be easier if he just told me the answers he wants instead of trying to psychologically torture me.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#6636 - 2014-03-28 00:06:27 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Xuixien wrote:
Riot Girl wrote:
Xuixien wrote:

Oh, sounds like you are worried that Im getting closer to nailing you on this.

Trying to stop people leaking evidence that the Bonus Room is infact not winnable by following an objective set of rules.

No, you know the Bonus Room is just a means to torment victims for your pleasure.

If your premise were remotely true, then no one would ever win. And people have.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Korhaka Mirunas
Doomheim
#6637 - 2014-03-28 00:06:53 UTC
Why does it make any difference if you can actually 'win' or not in the bonus room? If so its a gameshow, if not its a scam, either way its not a reason to ban someone from the game.

We need T3 Shuttles!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiR5Q72kT1U

Mario Putzo
#6638 - 2014-03-28 00:07:01 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Most of the people defending this, profit from what goes on in the Bonus Room, either in ISK or because they enjoy the recordings.

Some few others are concerned of the slippery slope effects to action.

The massive remainder of unassociated posters are against it (for various reasons).

The massive number of people actually don't give two *****. Which is why they are not posting.

I am defending Erotica 1's right to do this, and I haven't made a dime off of the bonus room. I defend his right because at any time Sohkar could have left, he could have walked away. There was no coercion there was no torture. There was childish humor, reading walls of text signing songs. Sohkar was angry because he lost all his stuff, because he spent 2 hours giving away all of his assets willingly.

If you can not understand this, you need to go back to school and be reeducated on social interaction.

Not a single time in this recording or any of the numerous others Erotica 1 has shared have people been forced to do anything. They play the little games in hopes of attaining more fake wealth. Their greed forces them to become sideshows for the community.

If Ripard Teg didn't have a personal vendetta against Erotica 1, would this have ever become an issue? I don't see Sohkar posting about a month old scam, I don't see him writing a blog, and submitting all over the video game media empire. I don't see him running off to the FBI, or CNN.

I see a bunch of parrots who have swallowed some guys personal opinion on another player, and are now spewing it all over the forums here demanding arbitrary lines be drawn in the sand.

It is pathetic.

And if you think that you are in the Majority, you are kidding yourself. You are in the vast minority, along with the people who actually condone the way Erotica 1 plays his game (don't confuse this with supporting his right to choose that playstyle). The massive majority don't care about Erotica 1, Sohkar or Ripard Teg, much less your opinion on what counts as moral.

PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#6639 - 2014-03-28 00:07:03 UTC
Y'know, this thread has actually gotten worse since yesterday. And that's not an easy thing to pull off.

I'm proud of you guys.
Wulfy Johnson
NorCorp Security
#6640 - 2014-03-28 00:07:19 UTC
What makes this hwole ordeal more disturbing is that there is an entire network of predators working together in finding their targets. There is much focus on E1 in this, but that is only one piece of the network set up for this.

And there is no failsafes protecting groups as minors in this predatorical enviroment other than the ethics and morale of the group it self, which i hardly can say is worth a damn.

Furthermore the setup they use could get used as a failsafe way of isk launderying/ rmt operation, as the so called winners of this "bonus room" is soley in the discretion of the group wielding it, that is of course if they didnt get caught pants down in abusing it for their "sport"

This is a network operation and not a 1 man show, so i belive the entire network needs to be looked into..