These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jester Trek Latest Blog

First post First post
Author
Anomaly One
Doomheim
#4481 - 2014-03-27 06:17:02 UTC
Erica Dusette wrote:
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie wrote:
Stop trying to kill the game.

I think it'd be fair to say that both sides of the discussion would share this same sentiment.

Because when one of these "idiots" goes over the top, slots himself or harms someone else, then the game we love is going to be in some serious ****. Straight

several games have had those things happen
the fact that it barely happens in EvE and what with the nature of the game shows just how "fragile" those people are..
everyone who plays/joins EvE know what they're going into, but they act stupid in hopes of the CCP catering to them, these kind of players are extremely selfish because they join a game and intead to break/change it to their needs, If a game right now goes online and advertises itself "for mass murderes and sick minds only" people would still join and ***** about it.

but the bad thing is if that kind of thing ever happened in EvE people will jump on it like flies to ****.. blaming its "harsh" nature

Psychotic Monk for CSM9 https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=326497 you want content in highsec? vote Monk

Tarkelan
Konzil der Drei
RAZOR Alliance
#4482 - 2014-03-27 06:17:22 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Andski wrote:
"this guy is an ass, therefore eve online should be transformed into a space jousting game"

christ, you people

Pretty sure that's Ripard's entire intent. He's not running for CSM again, his current term has failed to Trammelize the game, so this is his last attempt at a headshot.

Jester and trammelization of EVE? Lol? He never wanted to trammelize anything within EVE in the past and what he is doing right now isn't about that.
It's about the culture and community of EVE and the future prospect to attract new players that stay as paying customers.
Erotica 1 clearly went over the top with bonus rounds and make them publicly accessible.
A huge part of the community doesn't want to have such individuals as Erotica 1 around. And if he stays some long standing paying customers might leave and tell everyone to stay away and even drive social media against EVE.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4483 - 2014-03-27 06:18:05 UTC
Kyperion wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:

I think it'd be fair to say that both sides of the discussion would share this same sentiment.

Because when one of these "idiots" goes over the top, slots himself or harms someone else, then the game we love is going to be in some serious ****. Straight

Absolutely on the first bit.

On the second bit, I think this is one of those scenarios that no one hopes will ever happen, but it is a scenario that could occur at anytime.

However, as a risk, the perception of it is worse than the reality.

How many games of online MMOs are played everyday around the World. It must be in the tens of millions of people online across all MMOs on a daily basis.

Yet even though gaming has this air of risk associated with it, there aren't people killing themselves over games.

The actual risk that this may occur is so small that if you were to risk assess it properly, it wouldn't even register as low. It's much too small to be managed as a problem.

we've gone straight past killing ourselves as a result of what happens in games... we have humans killing themselves BECAUSE they are playing games for too long (as in not drinking/eating while playing for some crazy amount of time)

Citation needed. Seriously, even just a case study would legitimise this claim.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4484 - 2014-03-27 06:20:07 UTC  |  Edited by: PotatoOverdose
Erica Dusette wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:

No it won't. A number of people have died playing wow, and wow is still around years later with millions of subscribers.

You can't base everything around what the mentally unstable fringe might do.

That's a good point.

Although is it an accurate comparison? The WoW deaths I've heard of have always been due to some pretty hardcore addiction, and not the result of a player being antagonized in some form.

Let me ask you something: what is a billion isk to you?

To me, its a nicely fit T3 or two. Or maybe a blops. I've eaten those types of losses before. And honestly, so has much of the eve community.

When I lost that much isk, I didn't cry, or yell, bang a desk, or threaten someones mother in impotent rage. To me, someone that demonstrates these symptoms has a problem. Maybe even a hardcore addiction as you say, idk.

The point is, such a person is not well adjusted, and you can't base policy for a community of hundreds of thousands based on the response of the mentally unstable fringe. Just my 2 isk.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#4485 - 2014-03-27 06:20:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaarous Aldurald
Tarkelan wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Andski wrote:
"this guy is an ass, therefore eve online should be transformed into a space jousting game"

christ, you people

Pretty sure that's Ripard's entire intent. He's not running for CSM again, his current term has failed to Trammelize the game, so this is his last attempt at a headshot.

Jester and trammelization of EVE? Lol? He never wanted to trammelize anything within EVE in the past and what he is doing right now isn't about that.
It's about the culture and community of EVE and the future prospect to attract new players that stay as paying customers.
Erotica 1 clearly went over the top with bonus rounds and make them publicly accessible.
A huge part of the community doesn't want to have such individuals as Erotica 1 around. And if he stays some long standing paying customers might leave and tell everyone to stay away and even drive social media against EVE.

Have you actually read his blog? He's the doomsday prophet of EVE, "EVE is dying" is the underlying theme to everything he's said in months.

And apparently we need to bubble wrap the noobs so they don't have to experience badfeelz in order to keep EVE alive, just one more nerf, just one more nerf...

Oh, and as for "social media". Social media has been against EVE since before social media was a thing. EVE, on the other hand, has buried so many competitors that I've lost count. It remains one of the only 2 subscription based MMORPGs to show growth past the 12 month point after launch.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4486 - 2014-03-27 06:21:46 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:

No it won't. A number of people have died playing wow, and wow is still around years later with millions of subscribers.

That's a good point.

Although is it an accurate comparison? The WoW deaths I've heard of have always been due to some pretty hardcore addiction, and not the result of a player being antagonized in some form.

To me, its a nicely fit T3 or two. Or maybe a blops. I've eaten those types of losses before. And honestly, so has much of the eve community.

When I lost that much isk, I didn't cry, or yell, bang a desk, or threaten someones mother in impotent rage. To me, someone that demonstrates these symptoms has a problem. Maybe even a hardcore addiction as you say, idk.

The point is, such a person is not well adjusted, and you can't base policy for a community of hundreds of thousands based on the response of the mentally unstable fringe. Just my 2 isk.

I lost a 1.7bil pod yesterday because of a mistake I made with the UI. Hadn't been podded for ages before that. It was a shock to the system, I won't deny it.

But it'll do me some good to get outta my Slaves for a little while P

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Cha'ka Khan
Dark Skies Dojo
Wrong Hole.
#4487 - 2014-03-27 06:21:52 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:

That's a good point.

couldnt have said it better.

The only thing we have to fear, is new pilots and AFK miners. 

Erica Dusette
Division 13
#4488 - 2014-03-27 06:24:29 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:

On the second bit, I think this is one of those scenarios that no one hopes will ever happen, but it is a scenario that could occur at anytime.

How many games of online MMOs are played everyday around the World? It must be in the tens of millions of people online across all MMOs on a daily basis.

Yet even though gaming has this air of risk associated with it, there aren't people killing themselves over games.

Even if we were to ignore all other games and only cosider EvE, how many players have played over the 11 years of it's existance and raged online over something happening? Yet out of those, how many have killed themselves? The ratio must be approaching almost infinite to 0.

The actual risk that this may occur is so small that if you were to risk assess it properly, it wouldn't even register as a low risk. It's much too small to be managed as a problem.

Hmm, some more really good points. ^^

Is the risk high enough that something should be done?

Personally I'll be really interested to eventually (hopefully) hear what the minds at CCP have to say over the whole issue if they in fact say anything at all.

I don't like seeing people get so upset over a game, but I'm smart enough to know that they shouldn't I'm also smart enough to know that they always will anyway, so I'm not going to call those kinds of people "idiots". That class of player will always exist here, so the question becomes how much trauma do we allow them to expose themselves to? Do we feed that segment of our community to the wolves, or do we accept they exist, accept they just want to have fun too, and modify some things so they can safely have that fun?

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#4489 - 2014-03-27 06:24:49 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:

A PLEX and a bit. How depressing is that with 5 currently active accts?

Mr Epeen Cool
Cardano Firesnake
Fire Bullet Inc
#4490 - 2014-03-27 06:24:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Cardano Firesnake
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Hands up everyone who can see a problem with demanding the CCP ban people on the basis of "They haven't broken any game rules, and they haven't broken any laws, but I find them personally distasteful"

Perharps it is time to had in the EULA a article about psychological harassment...

Making it about something as unabashedly subjective as that, is fraught with peril. That being, it's a stupid idea. I have a stack of saved evemails that would enable me to ban/blackmail nearly everyone who sent them.

I know other "griefers" keep similar trophies.

And so? At first do not forget that there is a difference between scam and psychological harassment.
Taking advantage of greed, stupidity, ignorance, and so on is a thing.
Pushing someone to depression, self-disgust, perharps suicide is another.
Yes it is difficult to judge and the GMs will have hardtime. But the EULA should give them the possibilty to do something.
Before someone die and his family attack CCP in justice...

Posted - 2010.07.01 11:24:00 - [4] Erase learning skills, remap all SP. That's all.

Muestereate
Minions LLC
#4491 - 2014-03-27 06:26:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Muestereate
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
[quote=LUMINOUS SPIRIT]E1 & Co. just made a cardinal mistake of pissing on the united states service men and women.

snips

more snips

Something that should be done whether suicide exists or not. It's unfortunate that it took suicides to bring the issue to anyone's attention. The question remains, though: are people in the service committing suicide because of their service, or for something else?

If you can't even bring yourself to ask this question, and just assume you know the answer, then you are no better than the creationist who claims the earth is 6000 years old and no amount of evidence will convince him otherwise.

M said:
IF you want a citation explaining the current understanding of PTSD, War Trauma and the like, consider reading or even just browsing???

On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society

Books aren't citations, and I'm not going to guy spend my money on a book over this. I know a fair bit about the subject already and I agree, there is a psychological cost to being responsible for the death of another human being. However, I've asked a question, based on analysis of the statistics, that so far I've been riddled with abuse for. I believe it's a fair question, and would like to know if you agree it's something worth contemplating.

Are people in the military or emergency services committing suicide due to their service, or is it because of other factors?

This is an important question to answer. If the answer is because of their service, then something about the service needs to be changed. If it is because of something else, then we need to focus our efforts there. If our efforts for change are not focused in the right place, these people will continue committing suicide. Nothing will change. It's like putting the wrong man behind bars while the actual killer continues to walk free to kill again.

My off the cuff recollection is that current training involves dehumanizing the enemy in an effort to get more soldiers to kill instead of firing over their heads as they did in World War 2. Statistics showed few pulled the trgger, of those that did most aimed for the sky and of those who aimed with purpose, they could not recall the kill. Killing efficiency was low because of normal human compassion in a situation where little can be spared. To make fewer soldiers do more in a volunteer Army and modern police actions and the like, during the Vietnam war they started to train them to call the enemy the name ****. The dehumanization training continues to escalate to this day but we have become much better at understanding the mind.

Another area are prescription drugs. Previously Meth was used but it makes people more nervous but at least it allows them to stay awake. Now they have drugs that can counteract shell shock and even render the act of killing emotionless, maybe they even have ones that make it exciting. This is another area talked about.

Another area is post combat decompression. Lower incidences of mental trauma were noticed in companies that took the very slow boat home where men of similar experiences, feelings could share what they thought were isolated feelings and experiences. With the modern AIR logistics, men are not allowed to decompress among peers. Actions that cross are moral boundaries can only be processed among peers with similar, I'll just say it, guilt and shame. One man can trust another with what would normally never see the light of day. The longer its buried the bigger the wound and harder the dig.

Thats my compressed recollections to save you a read. I apologize in advance for generalities and omissions.
Cha'ka Khan
Dark Skies Dojo
Wrong Hole.
#4492 - 2014-03-27 06:27:42 UTC
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Hands up everyone who can see a problem with demanding the CCP ban people on the basis of "They haven't broken any game rules, and they haven't broken any laws, but I find them personally distasteful"

Perharps it is time to had in the EULA a article about psychological harassment...

Making it about something as unabashedly subjective as that, is fraught with peril. That being, it's a stupid idea. I have a stack of saved evemails that would enable me to ban/blackmail nearly everyone who sent them.

And so? At first do not forget that there is a difference between scam and psychological harassment.
Yes it is difficult to judge and the GMs will have hardtime. But the EULA should give them the possibilty to do something.
Before someone die and its family attack CCP in justice...

people kill themselves every day. while that is a sad thing to see happen... if someone kills themself over a few pixels then they probably are doing the world a favor(not trying to be coldhearted here just honest)

The only thing we have to fear, is new pilots and AFK miners. 

Muestereate
Minions LLC
#4493 - 2014-03-27 06:28:31 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Muestereate wrote:

I don't know about that or whether its even relevant to attack his education. Ad Hominem is Freshman tactics isn't it?

Ad Hom is escape tactics. It's a dodge. It doesn't address an argument made, it addresses the character of the person making it. It dismisses the argument because of that character, regardless of the actual character of the person or the merits of the argument. It ignores the argument, for whatever reason.

Example: "You're a bad person so your claim that the earth is round is wrong."

Yeah what he said
Kyperion
#4494 - 2014-03-27 06:31:47 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:

How many games of online MMOs are played everyday around the World. It must be in the tens of millions of people online across all MMOs on a daily basis.

The actual risk that this may occur is so small that if you were to risk assess it properly, it wouldn't even register as low. It's much too small to be managed as a problem.

we've gone straight past killing ourselves as a result of what happens in games... we have humans killing themselves BECAUSE they are playing games for too long (as in not drinking/eating while playing for some crazy amount of time)

Citation needed. Seriously, even just a case study would legitimise this claim.

Google "died while playing video game"
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#4495 - 2014-03-27 06:32:25 UTC
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

Before someone die and his family attack CCP in justice...

And like I said, what's "psychological harassment" is so subjective, that it's not worth the trouble.

Anyone can easily say that anyone who pods them is upsetting enough that it counts as psychological harassment. The correct answer to such a statement, however, is: "you're playing the wrong game then, just quit."

If you can't handle the game, then you don't belong. If you don't want to get laughed at on TeamSpeak, then just click the little x in the corner and turn it off.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Erica Dusette
Division 13
#4496 - 2014-03-27 06:33:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Erica Dusette
PotatoOverdose wrote:

Not much.

In fact on Christmas day (actually boxing day here, but I don't want to dampen Paul's story lol) I was robbed of around 5.5 billion worth of assets. It hurt, yes, but I wasn't upset about it. It's EVE and in the great tussle that is POS role management I was beaten in what was essentially a fight. So GF Paul Clavet. Big smile (But **** sake fix POSes CCP! P)

But point is that was my personal reaction. It doesn't matter that you and I would react calmly. It doesn't matter that you and I might not fall for a scam. The point is that there is, and always will be, a chunk of our community that is emotionally vulnerable like that and will overreact and take things hard. I'd argue against calling people like that part of an unstable fringe. It's very common. Do we write those folks off as "idiots" and just keep playing, or do we try to make our game as inclusive and reasonable for everyone as we can?

Edit: Another side-point. That 1b ISK isn't worth much to me because I fund myself with plex. Doing the math with what I earn, 1b ISK equals about 20mins of work in my IRL job. So no, I'm not going to be upset if I lost that much. However ... there are players who are not me, and who have spent days of work ingame to earn that same 1b ISK. So it's quite expectable that they will react very differently to me when they lose that 1b. Blink

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Cardano Firesnake
Fire Bullet Inc
#4497 - 2014-03-27 06:34:42 UTC
Cha'ka Khan wrote:
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

people kill themselves every day. while that is a sad thing to see happen... if someone kills themself over a few pixels then they probably are doing the world a favor(not trying to be coldhearted here just honest)

It is not about pixels, it is about harassment. The media does'nt matter. There is someone behind the screen and this person can have real problems. She can come playing a game to forget these problems, and if even there she is psychological attacked it can trigger the last defenses.

All social activities have their risks Facebook, Twitter and Eve online. CCP must take care to protect this place before justice make its move.

Posted - 2010.07.01 11:24:00 - [4] Erase learning skills, remap all SP. That's all.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#4498 - 2014-03-27 06:39:15 UTC
Erica Dusette wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:

Not much.

In fact on Christmas day (actually boxing day here, but I don't want to dampen Paul's story lol) I was robbed of around 5.5 billion worth of assets. It hurt, yes, but I wasn't upset about it. It's EVE and in the great tussle that is POS role management I was beaten in what was essentially a fight. So GF Paul Clavet. Big smile (But **** sake fix POSes CCP! P)

But point is that was my personal reaction. It doesn't matter that you and I would react calmly. It doesn't matter that you and I might not fall for a scam. The point is that there is, and always will be, a chunk of our community that is emotionally vulnerable like that and will overreact and take things hard. I'd argue against calling people like that part of an unstable fringe. It's very common. Do we write those folks off as "idiots" and just keep playing, or do we try to make our game as inclusive and reasonable for everyone as we can?

If they could learn, or if they could comport themselves like adults, they wouldn't explode into death threats and obscene racism over the loss of pixels in the first place. I get crap like that evemailed to me every week or so by people like that, they're called miners.

Personally, I think people like that are a lost cause, and I try to enjoy my game in spite of them. I don't give special treatment, they get blown up like anyone else. Because it really doesn't matter who is behind the screen. To me, you are a player like any other and you're treated as such.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Tarojan
Tarojan Corporation
#4499 - 2014-03-27 06:39:39 UTC
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
Wulfy Johnson wrote:
Well i pointed out early in this thread what worst case senarios could be if allowed to continue, but seems there are many perverted minds out there that seems to think this is ok.
So lets take it a step further and address another elephant in the room, kids, you know those not legal yet that accually plays this game with us.

How many of those has been experimented on by this group of extortionists? wild guess?
Anyway you wanna swing this, we have them, and this is a game not a social experiment on them.

A group that accually spend their ingame time devicing plans and putting together experiments on how to get people to humiliate themself as much as possible, aint no good for a community and has gone a far way from beeing the average tradehub scammer.

Too bad my English aint good enough to say all the fancy words needed to explain what this group of people is, and further more the total abcense of morale and understanding from E1 and the ilk, is rather disturbing in this context.
But i guess someone with better understanding in the English word can fire that torch for me.

By the way, i must say this must be one of the better treads i`ve followed in a long time.

I will say the words for you.

Online predators who operate like a pedophile ring, luring victims to places where they can emotionally **** and abuse them. And they record this **** and post it on the internet.

BAN>THEM>ALL.

and while we are at it hang everyone who wants to work with kids just in case! its for the children: my god wont any of you think of the children?

Will gank for food

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4500 - 2014-03-27 06:40:06 UTC
Cha'ka Khan wrote:
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

Not trying, but succeeding. Suicide does no one any favours, particularly their loved ones. You think they're useless people just because they have a little trouble with perspective? That's not honest, that's a lack of understanding. Those people, while perhaps useless to you, are loved by someone. It's true what they say, the internet creates impersonality. I doubt you would be saying such a thing if it was one of your loved ones with perspective issues.

People who kill themselves over video games is not an indication that the game needs to change, though, it's an indication that they already needed help. If a game is enough to trigger it, then somewhere in their life there are bigger issues they are grappling with. Nothing kills perspective better than emotion. Depression, for example - I suffer it acutely from time to time, it comes and goes - makes you feel like there's no point to anything. When I'm not depressed, not emotional, I can see that my problems are relative non-issues to what other people are struggling with. When I am depressed, and emotional, I don't see that. Everything becomes about what I'm going through.

This wasn't just a coldhearted thing to say, it was a perspectiveless thing to say. I would suggest that you are having the same problems with perspective as anyone that might kill themselves over a video game. Your suggestion that these people would be doing the world a favour is an insult to humanity.