These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jester Trek Latest Blog

First post First post
Author
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#4461 - 2014-03-27 06:04:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Kyperion wrote:
[It demonstrates the need to put an end to the scamming sub-culture of EVE.

No, the day of reckoning is at hand, a fundamental paradigm shift is needed.

Here is the potential problem right here and why I am of the view that no one should be banned or have anything removed.

I could totally support putting a line in the sand on the bonus room, but this mentality of turning EvE into a totally different experience, removing what is unique about it from all other games and creating a themepark is what prevents me from doing so.

Leave the game exactly the way it is.

People need to be able to manage their own problems and not rely on cotton wool rules.
Kyperion
#4462 - 2014-03-27 06:05:04 UTC
Cha'ka Khan wrote:
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
It demonstrates the need to put an end to the scamming sub-culture of EVE.

Think what you will about actions in the bonus room after the scam is complete, but this sentence is distrubing. Eve is a haven for people who like this style of game play and profits because there's nowhere else to go. Stop trying to kill the game.

Jita 4-4... You will never find a more wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy.....

You can expand that to most of the EVE forum dwellers.
Erica Dusette
Division 13
#4463 - 2014-03-27 06:05:54 UTC
Stop trying to kill the game.

I think it'd be fair to say that both sides of the discussion would share this same sentiment.

Because when one of these "idiots" goes over the top, slots himself or harms someone else, then the game we love is going to be in some serious ****. Straight

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Muestereate
Minions LLC
#4464 - 2014-03-27 06:06:01 UTC
Kyperion wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
Everyone knows emotional pain is real, and depending on what it is can be worse than physical pain.

Being made fun of on the internet is not, in any way shape or form, analogous to real torture.

Ever. I don't care if you lose your space pixels or not.

Of course it can be analogous to real torture. Not the sword in the fire with a back drop of an iron maiden type of torture. We'll leave that for the fantasy film buffs to cream over.

No: It's more analogous to what is now called enhanced interrogation in the halls of polite and fluffy govt ivory towers. And I should mention that the phrase 'being made fun of' belittles what's actually happening. You can drive the right person to slit their wrists with words alone if your grasp of social manipulation is twisted enough. Or you can bring some right up to that point and then back off to do it over and over until they snap.

How many links would you like to tragic ends for people that have been 'made fun of' on the internet. Twenty? Fifty? One hundred? I can link them.

Mr Epeen Cool

I can also tell you, that its not just 'being made fun of' that can validly be related to torture.

I love my Wife, I pray every day that we die on the same day, but I can tell you right now, If either one of us survives the other... for a very long time that would feel like 'torture'... The emotional pain of living beyond someone you love... or even being seperated from them.. that is real, and it hurts.

I doubt that Kaarous Aldurald or Remiel Pollard have reached the age when the pain of death has stung their lives.

Either that or they lack all sense of human empathy and truly are lost.

There may not be enough grace in your judgement, just sayin.
Kyperion
#4465 - 2014-03-27 06:07:15 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Kyperion wrote:

Here is the potential problem right here and why I am of the view that no one should be banned or have anything removed.

I could totally support putting a line in the sand on the bonus room, but it's mentality of turning EvE into a totally different experience, removing what is unique about it from all other games and creating a themepark that prevents me from doing so.

People need to be able to manage their own problems and not rely on cotton wool rules.

Scamming should never have been allowed to be percieved as 'legitimate' ... it was never legitimate except in the recesses of the conciously depraved mind

as others have said It breaks the 'risk vs reward' golden rule.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#4466 - 2014-03-27 06:08:15 UTC
Kyperion wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Kyperion wrote:

I could totally support putting a line in the sand on the bonus room, but it's mentality of turning EvE into a totally different experience, removing what is unique about it from all other games and creating a themepark that prevents me from doing so.

Scamming should never have been allowed to be percieved as 'legitimate' ... it was never legitimate except in the recesses of the conciously depraved mind

You're playing the wrong game. Go play... well, hell, anything else. Literally.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Anomaly One
Doomheim
#4467 - 2014-03-27 06:10:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Anomaly One
Kyperion wrote:

only idiots, drunks, people not paying attention and greedy bastards (same as idiots) fall for scams

it is insanely easy to avoid scams.

Psychotic Monk for CSM9 https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=326497 you want content in highsec? vote Monk

PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4468 - 2014-03-27 06:11:11 UTC
Erica Dusette wrote:

I think it'd be fair to say that both sides of the discussion would share this same sentiment.

Because when one of these "idiots" goes over the top, slots himself or harms someone else, then the game we love is going to be in some serious ****. Straight

No it won't. A number of people have died playing wow, and wow is still around years later with millions of subscribers.

You can't base everything around what the mentally unstable fringe might do.
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#4469 - 2014-03-27 06:12:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Erica Dusette wrote:

Absolutely on the first bit.

On the second bit, I think this is one of those scenarios that no one hopes will ever happen, but it is a scenario that could occur at anytime.

However, as a risk, the perception of it is worse than the reality.

How many games of online MMOs are played everyday around the World? It must be in the tens of millions of people online across all MMOs on a daily basis.

Yet even though gaming has this air of risk associated with it, there aren't people killing themselves over games.

Even if we were to ignore all other games and only cosider EvE, how many players have played over the 11 years of it's existance and raged online over something happening? Yet out of those, how many have killed themselves? The ratio must be approaching almost infinite to 0.

The actual risk that this may occur is so small that if you were to risk assess it properly, it wouldn't even register as a low risk. It's much too small to be managed as a problem.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#4470 - 2014-03-27 06:12:14 UTC
Wanting to remove scamming altogether is a valid topic for discussion, albeit a seriously unpopular one.

I might suggest it for it's own thread though. It's outside the pale of this one, in my opinion.

Mr Epeen Cool
Kyperion
#4471 - 2014-03-27 06:12:41 UTC
Anomaly One wrote:
Kyperion wrote:

only idiots, drunks, people not paying attention and greedy bastards (same as idiots) fall for scams

If that were true, there would not be so many people doing it, and there most certainly wouldn't be three EVE organizations that have made it an artform.
Erica Dusette
Division 13
#4472 - 2014-03-27 06:14:04 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:

No it won't. A number of people have died playing wow, and wow is still around years later with millions of subscribers.

You can't base everything around what the mentally unstable fringe might do.

That's a good point.

Although is it an accurate comparison? The WoW deaths I've heard of have always been due to some pretty hardcore addiction, and not the result of a player being antagonized in some form.

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4473 - 2014-03-27 06:14:27 UTC
Kyperion wrote:

Mr Epeen wrote:
Wanting to remove scamming altogether is a valid topic for discussion, albeit a seriously unpopular one.

I might suggest it for it's own thread though. It's outside the pale of this one, in my opinion.

Mr Epeen Cool

Well, at least you lot have shown your true colors now.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4474 - 2014-03-27 06:14:36 UTC
Kyperion wrote:
Anomaly One wrote:
Kyperion wrote:

If that were true, there would not be so many people doing it, and there most certainly wouldn't be three EVE organizations that have made it an artform.

It is true. The fact that there are a lot of idiots playing EVE is what makes it so lucrative.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Kyperion
#4475 - 2014-03-27 06:14:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Kyperion
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:

Absolutely on the first bit.

On the second bit, I think this is one of those scenarios that no one hopes will ever happen, but it is a scenario that could occur at anytime.

However, as a risk, the perception of it is worse than the reality.

How many games of online MMOs are played everyday around the World. It must be in the tens of millions of people online across all MMOs on a daily basis.

Yet even though gaming has this air of risk associated with it, there aren't people killing themselves over games.

The actual risk that this may occur is so small that if you were to risk assess it properly, it wouldn't even register as low. It's much too small to be managed as a problem.

we've gone straight past killing ourselves as a result of what happens in games... we have humans killing themselves BECAUSE they are playing games for too long (as in not drinking/eating while playing for some crazy amount of time)
Cha'ka Khan
Dark Skies Dojo
Wrong Hole.
#4476 - 2014-03-27 06:15:32 UTC
Kyperion wrote:
Cha'ka Khan wrote:
Kyperion wrote:

Think what you will about actions in the bonus room after the scam is complete, but this sentence is distrubing. Eve is a haven for people who like this style of game play and profits because there's nowhere else to go. Stop trying to kill the game.

Jita 4-4... You will never find a more wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy.....

You can expand that to most of the EVE forum dwellers.

Sadly this is very true.

I have bitter vet syndrome from the Battlefield community. I have played every iteration of BF since it was launched in '02. I came here looking for newness and found the same childish BULLSHIT that I left the BF community for. This kind of thing is EXACTLY the reason that people are not lining up to buy SteamBoxes (other than the fact that thye kinda suck right now) or building gaming rigs to play on the PC.

I am sad to say it but my beloved PC platform has turned into the most ingratiated bunch of whiny bitchy little assholes on the planet. It is things like this situation that make me sick to my stomach to call myself a member of the PC community.

We go around telling ourselves and other gamers that we are the "PC Master Race" but that title dies a little more with every overly melodramatic performance like this that we see. Every single person on here backbiting and taking sides needs to calm the hell down and remember that we all choose to play the game our way. This is no different. If scamming is your way then so be it. But stop frowning on others for things that you disagree with.

That is all.....

The only thing we have to fear, is new pilots and AFK miners. 

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4477 - 2014-03-27 06:16:36 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Kyperion wrote:

Mr Epeen wrote:

Mr Epeen Cool

Despite our disagreements, I believe Epeen is coming from the most reasonable position he can on the issue. There are no colours here at all, this is a perfectly reasonable suggestion. This thread is about perceived issues surrounding Erotica 1's bonus round with Sokhar. It is not about scamming in general.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Wulfy Johnson
NorCorp Security
#4478 - 2014-03-27 06:16:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Wulfy Johnson
I see the cosensual card coming up alot, but it doesnt sit right by me..
Cosensual harrasment? Consensual talking? Consensual to beeing scammed, goaded, ridiculed and spread all over the web?

What exactly did he allow?

Furthermore consensual and minors dont mix to well in sertain rooms, and there's no telling how many of those this gang has violated.

We accually share this game with alot of minors..
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#4479 - 2014-03-27 06:16:51 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Kyperion wrote:

Mr Epeen wrote:

Mr Epeen Cool

By suggesting we keep this on topic? Okay...thanks, I guess.

Mr Epeen Cool
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#4480 - 2014-03-27 06:16:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Kyperion wrote:
we've gone straight past killing ourselves as a result of what happens in games... we have humans killing themselves BECAUSE they are playing games for too long (as in not drinking/eating while playing for some crazy amount of time)

Of those people, how many did this because of EvE?