These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jester Trek Latest Blog

First post First post
Author
Liese Shardani
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#4321 - 2014-03-27 04:01:10 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:
Mike Azariah wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:
Ban Ripard Teg his harassment of Erotica and Sohkar can not be denied! Remove him from the the CSM he is unfit to represent this community.

Well we can have him removed from the CSM but due process and paperwork is gonna take about 6 weeks. I'll get right on it.

m

Good thank you Mike! I appreciate the support in keeping the CSM a respectful embodiment of the EVE community.
Umm, the results of CSM9 will be announced May 3rd, which is less than 6 weeks away. I don't think it was a serious suggestion.
Muestereate
Minions LLC
#4322 - 2014-03-27 04:01:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Muestereate
Jarod Garamonde wrote:
Danalee wrote:
Muestereate wrote:

Erotica sends many female signals in a male processed voice. Every man, gay or straight is socialized to react to gender confusion. gays get excited I guess and straight men get angry. Victim didn't act any different that 96% of world male population does.

Darnit, missed THAT gem!

So, you are saying that Erotica1 sends out female signals which would make 96% (<- source please) of the world straight male population go on a racist/anti-gay rant AND make gay people exited in some way?

Boy oh boy, this is what people defending bigots look like than....

D.

Bear

Yes.... source, please. I, too, would like to know what study says I'm eff'd up for not reacting negatively to my more effeminate friends' "creepy" voices.

I'm sorry for the delay getting back. I stepped out and only saw your post by chance, probably because it was at the top. I don't think you or Danilee are part of the 4%. That number represents sociopaths. You should not infer you are effed up. Your difficulty in understanding is not caused by a sociopathic lack of empathy and understanding. Most likely its caused by a phenomena known as psychological distance.

Many people believe that things should be black and white, either or, for or against. The real world does not exist in a binary fashion, it is analog with spaces for instance between 1 and 10. As we approach the mathematical extremes of either, or these binary measurements, marked by the extremes, mathematicians notice a lack of certainty that continues down to the quantum level. Our current conclusions are that there are no absolutes but that is of course subject to change by the very principles that describe this situation.

Back to psychological distance. Did you ever wonder why sniping and kiting and large fleets are more popular than brawling and solo? In killing there is a human need for psychological distance. Firing at a superior's or Fleet Commanders order is fun. Dropping a bomb from 30000 feet is easier than strangling a man eye to eye. Shooting an enemy from a hundred fifty k is easier than a one on one kiting and kiting is emotionally easier than charging full on toe to toe with blasters. The same goes on in real life in wars. The most emotional damage that's treated in VA centers are from men close enough to open up a victims wallet after a kill and seeing pictures of a wife and children. Emotional distance nearly ceases to exist at this point and unless your part of the sociopathic natural killers, you will be effected.

The same is going on with the softening of gender boundaries that the world is experiencing. Whereas for centuries the distance was so great that a man or woman might never in a lifetime be confronted with gender confusion, the probability that it will happen as went up many fold. If it happens accidentally or is forced on a person the confusion and reaction will be greater than if it is sought consensually in something like mutual friendship as it appears the three of us at least have experienced.

But to put yourself at a closer emotional distance, I can only think to ask you to imagine "putting the moves" on a member of the same sex and after considerable involvement "discovering" that the person your with is not the gender you think. Now I know many gay females that would act extremely violently if they encountered a phallus by surprise. I've also personally witnessed young men at a bachelor party reacting by several jumping from a multistory window, several more retreating to the bathroom and the barrel, more than several embracing the situation and participating anyhow, Several curling together sobbing in tears that they were gay and yet several more committing suicide over the next couple years.

So do to personal experience I have to assume this either isn't your first dance and you've settled with what your comfortable distances are, male or female, gay or not. Decrease your current emotional distance and I think you'll start to see why you empathize with E1 is that your mistaking a lack of abuse by E1 at a close distance with an act of kindness. By playing EVE, you are a victim of...

Stockholm Syndrome
SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#4323 - 2014-03-27 04:06:32 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:

The only real question left is why did we, as a community, wait so long to get a thread going about this?

Because it wasn't an issue until someone with enough puppets decided it should be an issue. The term is manufactured crisis.

I'm of the opinion that is this has been going on for a while and was known about, then this is the answer to "why does Eve remain a niche game?"

You don't need to victimize everybody, just enough people to give everybody an impression.

There seems to be a weird fascination people have that says "Every game wants to be WoW".

Moderate success is still success.
Mario Putzo
#4324 - 2014-03-27 04:08:19 UTC
Liese Shardani wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:
Mike Azariah wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:
Ban Ripard Teg his harassment of Erotica and Sohkar can not be denied! Remove him from the the CSM he is unfit to represent this community.

Well we can have him removed from the CSM but due process and paperwork is gonna take about 6 weeks. I'll get right on it.

m

Good thank you Mike! I appreciate the support in keeping the CSM a respectful embodiment of the EVE community.
Umm, the results of CSM9 will be announced May 3rd, which is less than 6 weeks away. I don't think it was a serious suggestion.

youdontsay.jpg
Berendas
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4325 - 2014-03-27 04:08:33 UTC
Liese Shardani wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:
Mike Azariah wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:

m

That makes sense. A well constructed joke on Mike Azariah's part then. That's what I get for not being up on the CSM's goings on.
Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#4326 - 2014-03-27 04:09:29 UTC
I am Batman.

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶_______¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶_________________________¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶____¶¶______¶¶__¶¶_______¶¶____¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶____¶¶¶¶_______¶¶¶¶¶¶________¶¶¶¶____¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶___¶¶¶¶¶¶________¶¶¶¶¶¶¶_______¶¶¶¶¶¶¶___¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶__¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶______¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶_______¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶__¶¶¶
¶¶¶_¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶___¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶___¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶___¶
¶¶_¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶__¶
¶__¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶_¶
¶__¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶_¶
¶¶_¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶_¶
¶¶__¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶__¶
¶¶¶__¶¶¶¶¶¶_____¶¶____¶¶¶¶¶¶¶____¶¶_____¶¶¶¶¶¶__¶¶
¶¶¶¶___¶¶¶¶____________¶¶¶¶_____________¶¶¶¶___¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶___¶¶¶____________¶¶_____________¶¶¶___¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶___________________________________¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶___________________________¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶_______________¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#4327 - 2014-03-27 04:10:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Epeen
Andski wrote:
Berendas wrote:
Mike Azariah wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:

m

Best of luck and swiftness in accomplishing this. The community will be much better for it.

Mario Putzo wrote:

whoosh

Not often we're on the same page, but no kidding. These guys are hilariously uninformed about what's going on in the game they apparently never actually play.

Mr Epeen Cool
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#4328 - 2014-03-27 04:12:41 UTC
Muestereate wrote:
I've also personally witnessed... ... several more committing suicide over the next couple years.

How does this work then?

PS. I know you didn't mean to imply that you have witnessed men committing suicide or that you will witness it several more times over the next couple of years, but your post is a little difficult to follow, not only in terms of sentence structure, but relevance.

Any chance for a rephrase?
Mario Putzo
#4329 - 2014-03-27 04:13:55 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Andski wrote:

whoosh

Not often we're on the same page, but no kidding. These guys are hilariously uninformed about what's going on in the game they apparently never actually play.

Mr Epeen Cool

Two people who don't know the definition of facetious Ugh
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4330 - 2014-03-27 04:17:49 UTC
Muestereate wrote:

I'm sorry for the delay getting back. I stepped out and only saw your post by chance, probably because it was at the top. I don't think you or Danilee are part of the 4%. That number represents sociopaths.[citation needed] You should not infer you are effed up. Your difficulty in understanding is not caused by a sociopathic lack of empathy and understanding. Most likely its caused by a phenomena known as psychological distance.[citation needed]

Many people believe that things should be black and white, either or, for or against.[citation needed] The real world does not exist in a binary fashion, it is analog with spaces for instance between 1 and 10.[citation needed] As we approach the mathematical extremes of either, or these binary measurements, marked by the extremes, mathematicians notice a lack of certainty that continues down to the quantum level. Our current conclusions are that there are no absolutes but that is of course subject to change by the very principles that describe this situation.[citation needed]

Back to psychological distance. Did you ever wonder why sniping and kiting and large fleets are more popular than brawling and solo? In killing there is a human need for psychological distance.[citation needed] Firing at a superior's or Fleet Commanders order is fun. Dropping a bomb from 30000 feet is easier than strangling a man eye to eye.[addendum: this is due to ts convenience, not psychology] Shooting an enemy from a hundred fifty k is easier than a one on one kiting and kiting is emotionally easier than charging full on toe to toe with blasters.[citation needed and addendum: kiting and sniping are tactics used to mitigate risk, again, not psychology, just smart] The same goes on in real life in wars. The most emotional damage that's treated in VA centers are from men close enough to open up a victims wallet after a kill and seeing pictures of a wife and children.[citation needed] Emotional distance nearly ceases to exist at this point and unless your[sic] part of the sociopathic natural killers, you will be effected.[citation needed, murder is not a pathology]

The same is going on with the softening of gender boundaries that the world is experiencing. Whereas for centuries the distance was so great that a man or woman might never in a lifetime be confronted with gender confusion, the probability that it will happen as went up many fold. If it happens accidentally or is forced on a person the confusion and reaction will be greater than if it is sought consensually in something like mutual friendship as it appears the three of us at least have experienced.[don't even know what to do with this paragraph, if it can even be considered one]

But to put yourself at a closer emotional distance, I can only think to ask you to imagine "putting the moves" on a member of the same sex and after considerable involvement "discovering" that the person your[sic] with is not the gender you think. Now I know many gay females that would act extremely violently if they encountered a phallus by surprise. I've also personally witnessed young men at a bachelor party reacting by several jumping from a multistory window, several more retreating to the bathroom and the barrel, more than several embracing the situation and participating anyhow, Several curling together sobbing in tears that they were gay and yet several more committing suicide over the next couple years.[anecdotal testimony: dismissed]

So do[sic] to personal experience I have to assume this either isn't your first dance and you've settled with what your[sic] comfortable distances are, male or female, gay or not.[assumption, possible false dichotomy: inconclusive] Decrease your current emotional distance and I think you'll start to see why you empathize with E1 is that your mistaking a lack of abuse by E1 at a close distance with an act of kindness. By playing EVE, you are a victim of...

Stockholm Syndrome[citation needed]

So, since you like writing essays, I've gone through with a little constructive criticism that might help you improve the quality of this particular piece. As short as it was, it was a relatively easy read but with various confusing statements. Some of that confusion arose from poor spelling, but assuming this is a draft, we can let that slide for now. Your grade will suffer if you don't fix it though.

Many of your more specific claims will require citations. I've marked a number of those. There are a few logical fallacies in there, and a few statements that you've made that could have alternative explanations, examples of which I've provided for you. A good essay is exploratory, and should examine alternative explanations before forming a conclusion, otherwise your conclusion can be waved away when someone else reviews the essay and provides those alternative explanations.

Also, be careful using Wikipedia as a source. It's a nice starting point, but it's not actually acceptable resource for citation. There are plenty of citations that you might want to explore on the Wiki pages themselves, and I strongly suggest that you not rely on just one source. Generally, I suggest a minimum of ten sources from students, but if you were publishing, a list of sources can and should extend to a page or more, at least, to show you've done extensive research. These sources should not just be read, but cited within the article itself where relevant to show that you've actually used the information in those sources.

Since you seem to be falling behind a little, and given the attempt you've made thus far, I'm prepared to grant a 24 hour extension for your final submission. I know you can pull off a better quality final draft than this, so let's see it.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#4331 - 2014-03-27 04:18:33 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Andski wrote:

whoosh

Mr Epeen Cool

Actually, I suspected you were just having some fun. But the other two...

Mr Epeen Cool
Kyperion
#4332 - 2014-03-27 04:21:38 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
This is emotional rapists trying to justify what they do by staging a show that, no, victims are not really hurt at all.

E1 thinks its OK to inflict emotional damage on handicapped people. "its just a bit of fun, no real harm done, nobody dies"

Neo-**** guys down the road in a seedy bar think its OK to **** a girl too "its just a bit of fun, no real harm done, nobody dies"

Hurt feelings are not real harm, and are not analogous to real harm.

You are full of little ignorant gems.

Emotional hurt can and many times is a bigger threat than physical pain

Ask any one who has been through Military training (I have), and especially any Special Operators, and they will tell you to a man... the hardest part of the training is the mental/emotional aspect.

I've seen the toughest men in the ******* world, who could kill without hesitation absolutely melt because of a 'Dear John' letter.

There is a suicide epidemic in the Military, and a large part of it is stupid brain dead macho man philosphy of the type you espouse. Go to your buddy's funeral after he commits suicide at the age of 23 while being in perfect physical health because he couldn't work through the emotional pain he was going through, and then come talk to me about how 'its only the internet' or 'its only emotional pain'

**** you.
Berendas
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4333 - 2014-03-27 04:22:15 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Andski wrote:

whoosh

Mr Epeen Cool

Mr Epeen Cool

I know what facetious means, but having just come back to EVE from a 5 month break, I wasn't aware of the upcoming CSM change What?
Mario Putzo
#4334 - 2014-03-27 04:22:34 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Andski wrote:

whoosh

Mr Epeen Cool

Mr Epeen Cool

You don't ride a thread to 218 pages serious posting.

Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#4335 - 2014-03-27 04:22:44 UTC
Kyperion wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
This is emotional rapists trying to justify what they do by staging a show that, no, victims are not really hurt at all.

E1 thinks its OK to inflict emotional damage on handicapped people. "its just a bit of fun, no real harm done, nobody dies"

Neo-**** guys down the road in a seedy bar think its OK to **** a girl too "its just a bit of fun, no real harm done, nobody dies"

Ask any one who has been through Military training (I have), and especially any Special Operators, and they will tell you to a man... the hardest part of the training is the mental/emotional aspect.

I've seen the toughest men in the ******* world, who could kill without hesitation absolutely melt because of a 'Dear John' letter.

There is a suicide epidemic in the Military, and a large part of it is stupid brain dead macho man philosphy of the type you espouse. Go to your buddy's funeral after he commits suicide at the age of 23 while being in perfect physical health because he couldn't work through the emotional pain he was going through, and then come talk to me about how 'its only the internet' or 'its only emotional pain'

**** you.

Tell me how more soldiers died from suicide than battle throughout history.

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Yuto Alduin
Doomheim
#4336 - 2014-03-27 04:23:14 UTC
This is pretty screwed up. I don't understand how a respectable organization could support this. It's one thing to do this in game but when you take it outside of the game into peoples personal lives and then blare that for everyone to see. This guy clearly has anger/psychological problems the fact these people would continue really does make them scum IRL. I hope he does find them.
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#4337 - 2014-03-27 04:23:49 UTC
I think that will kick us towards 300 pages in no time.

Glorious GD.
Mario Putzo
#4338 - 2014-03-27 04:25:54 UTC
Yuto Alduin wrote:
This is pretty screwed up. I don't understand how a respectable organization could support this. It's one thing to do this in game but when you take it outside of the game into peoples personal lives and then blare that for everyone to see. This guy clearly has anger/psychological problems the fact these people would continue really does make them scum IRL. I hope he does find them.

You wish harm upon Erotica 1? Yet another hushed threat from a white knight. For shame.
Kyperion
#4339 - 2014-03-27 04:26:13 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

**** you.

Tell me how more soldiers died from suicide than battle throughout history.

Tell me how that matters you stupid ****.

Fact is a significant number of military personnel commit suicide, as well as police, Fire, and Emergency Responders... and it sure as hell ain't because they are in physical pain.
Mario Putzo
#4340 - 2014-03-27 04:28:46 UTC
Keep it civil dude no need for insulting people like that.