These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

FB buys Oculus VR for $2bil

Author
Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#101 - 2014-03-26 10:17:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Jint Hikaru
Yeah, things aren't looking good on the Kickstarter page...

Lots of angry backers.

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Othran
Route One
#102 - 2014-03-26 10:18:41 UTC
May as well cancel Valkyrie now, nobody in their right mind wants anything to do with FB.
Carniflex
StarHunt
Mordus Angels
#103 - 2014-03-26 10:20:22 UTC
I am not happy. While the amount of money I put into their Kickstarter was not excessive it was first thing ever I felt exited enough about to back on Kickstarter. And now they do this.

Here, sanity... niiiice sanity, come to daddy... okay, that's a good sanity... THWONK! GOT the bastard.

seth Hendar
I love you miners
#104 - 2014-03-26 10:23:45 UTC
Carniflex wrote:
I am not happy. While the amount of money I put into their Kickstarter was not excessive it was first thing ever I felt exited enough about to back on Kickstarter. And now they do this.

i feel for you and all the backers, i was tempted to join you and back them...glad i didn't!
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#105 - 2014-03-26 10:47:53 UTC
Oxide Ammar wrote:
I'm not Lawyer, but isn't this kind rip off ? he invested the 2 mill funding and sold them out for 2 B. Can't these people ask for % from this.

Also this kind move I'm sure giving kick starter program a kick in the teeth, no one is going to support ideas and games blindly like before.

Kickstarter isn't an investment scheme. You have nothing but the rewards they say when you give them money. (and even those aren't guaranteed)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#106 - 2014-03-26 11:13:49 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:
Yeah, things aren't looking good on the Kickstarter page...

Lots of angry backers.

lol ouch, those comments are brutal

I was looking forward to buying a Rift just for Valkyrie, now, not so much.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Haka Kakinen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#107 - 2014-03-26 11:21:36 UTC
RIP Oculus, RIP Valkyrie
Malcolm from Marketing
Klaatu Technologies
#108 - 2014-03-26 11:22:58 UTC
Man i was sooo looking forward to buying the CV1, as were my kids and friends.

It had so much potential to be great but now this. I dont have facebook, refuse to on principal and more importantly due to it being absolutely useless and false, not to mention the dubious history of the owner.

Out of 22 friends that had pre ordered the DV2, 21 cancelled last night and only 1 friend is still on the fence after reading the news.

I'm uber pissed as Valkerie was the reason i was buying a Rift when CV1 came out, but i guess i'll be one of thousands that will reside to watching youtube video's of it instead.

Silver lining is i've saved myself £200-£300 in the long run, but my faith in Oculus as a product just fell off a very tall cliff.

God damn sellouts.
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#109 - 2014-03-26 11:33:05 UTC
Val'Dore wrote:
You guys are looking at this all wrong. FB is going to pioneer the first completely virtual world with social networking and virtual reality combined.

Think of it like real life, with no dirt.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjpOO3SCcAAM0_R.jpg
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#110 - 2014-03-26 11:56:16 UTC
I've heard Valkyrie will be hitting ps4 with their VR though. Is that right? So Valkyrie may live on.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#111 - 2014-03-26 12:01:30 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
I've heard Valkyrie will be hitting ps4 with their VR though. Is that right? So Valkyrie may live on.

Yup. It's been announced for the PS4 and Morpheus http://www.slashgear.com/eve-valkyrie-ps4-gameplay-hands-on-with-project-morpheus-20321474/

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Misunderstood Genius
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#112 - 2014-03-26 12:10:15 UTC
They should have made a great deal with Notch. This genius sits on a fast growing pile of money. But honest money paid by users loving Minecraft. They don't need a locust like FB who's just interested in figures and shareholder's satisfaction. Just a few deals with companies developing games will pay the bills and the development. Sad. Even visionaries can't resist and have their price. Very sad.
Shadowlightt
Doomheim
#113 - 2014-03-26 12:20:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Shadowlightt
Facebook are doing illegal monopolies of digital products constructed by hard working companies its quite clear facebook is trying to be the mcdonalds of the internet maybe next in their illegal monopoly is twitter since twitter is a low budget free social site with that being said ill probably go buy facebooks stock now
LordOfDespair
Deep Dark Fantasy.
#114 - 2014-03-26 12:28:26 UTC  |  Edited by: LordOfDespair
Jack Tronic wrote:
I pray to the wormhole gods that Gaben gets off his mighty throne and takes Valve VR to market.

In other news, EVE Valkyrie is now dead in the water given the majority of EVE's playerbase probably doesn't want to use facebook, as we've seen with EVE gate.

Valve isn't much better than any other company.

They have an F rating on the better business bureau, mostly because of their horrible (non-existent) customer service.

And have you ever read their EULA? It is despicable.

Granted they are a little better than facebook, but that isn't saying much.

PS: I was excited for valkyre, now I'm not. Hope CCP pulls their support from it and develops for another VR platform.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#115 - 2014-03-26 12:32:48 UTC
Misunderstood Genius wrote:
They should have made a great deal with Notch. This genius sits on a fast growing pile of money. But honest money paid by users loving Minecraft. They don't need a locust like FB who's just interested in figures and shareholder's satisfaction. Just a few deals with companies developing games will pay the bills and the development. Sad. Even visionaries can't resist and have their price. Very sad.
The thing is they already had there bills paid. They got 10x their funding on kickstarter, and there are games lined up for it and there were more on the way, so they literally had to just continue on and they would have had a good product. But they are greedy and chose to sell out, and in doing so they've dealt a blow to the independent development as a whole. Even people choosing to kickstart projects they believe in will now need to think twice as most probably don't contribute to a product to see it end up as yet another way for facebook to gather data.

But ah well, the product is dead. May as well move on rather than keep beating it's carcass. there's the Sony one, one supposedly by Valve, and several other indie alternatives, so I'll see how the rest line up. I'm certainly not going to buying Valykrie for the PC though since it's going to be restricted to the Oculus as far as I know, unless this sales invalidates the exclusivity in some way.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#116 - 2014-03-26 12:36:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
LordOfDespair wrote:
Jack Tronic wrote:
I pray to the wormhole gods that Gaben gets off his mighty throne and takes Valve VR to market.

In other news, EVE Valkyrie is now dead in the water given the majority of EVE's playerbase probably doesn't want to use facebook, as we've seen with EVE gate.

They have an F rating on the better business bureau, mostly because of their horrible (non-existent) customer service.

And have you ever read their EULA?

PS: I was excited for valkyre, now I'm not. Hope CCP pulls their support from it and develops for another VR platform.
The thing about Valve is that they may be a bit rubbish, but a lot of big companies are. The difference is they don't scrape every possible piece of data about you then sell that in bulk to literally anyone who asks for it. Since that's Facebook's primary means of income, that's always going to be their #1 priority. Facebook's product is it's users, at least valves product is games.

Not to mention that with Greenlight, Valve showed they support independent developers being independent, and they push indie games as hard as they push the triple A titles.

LordOfDespair
Deep Dark Fantasy.
#117 - 2014-03-26 13:05:40 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
LordOfDespair wrote:
Jack Tronic wrote:

And have you ever read their EULA?

The thing about Valve is that they may be a bit rubbish, but a lot of big companies are. The difference is they don't scrape every possible piece of data about you then sell that in bulk to literally anyone who asks for it. Since that's Facebook's primary means of income, that's always going to be their #1 priority. Facebook's product is it's users, at least valves product is games.

Not to mention that with Greenlight, Valve showed they support independent developers being independent, and they push indie games as hard as they push the triple A titles.

They only do that because they make mad money off of greenlight projects at little expense to them. Not out of the goodness of their hearts.
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#118 - 2014-03-26 13:11:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Felicity Love
... waits for "Valkyrie" to appear as some mindless, water-down "arcade" game on FB ... GET OUT NOW, CCP ... this will not end well...

Shocked

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Ambassador Crane
Hellhound Productions
#119 - 2014-03-26 13:15:01 UTC
I hated it when CCP chose to release Dust only on the Playstation. However, now I think I may buy a PS4 as a show of support if CCP also yanks Valkyrie from the Oculus. I mean it's really just because I'm liking the concept of the VR stuff, but I will NOT support something that will eventually become riddled with ads and selling my personal info.
Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#120 - 2014-03-26 13:18:07 UTC
400mil in straight dough and 1,6 billion in stocks, not even the big J.C. could've resisted that temptation when only 21 or so.

Hell I know I wouldn't and my supporters be damned; it's babes, booze and coke from now on for the rest of my life.

Though admittedly I would had ran with the first 2,5mil in my hands considering that KS is basically giving free money for nothing which is also why KS and the likes are considered as an illegal fund raiser in Finland.