These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

FB buys Oculus VR for $2bil

Author
Tanuki Kittybeta
Ripperoni in Pepperoni
#61 - 2014-03-26 07:35:16 UTC
Honestly, basing a game off unreleased technology is a massive gamble. Looks like CCP lost big time.

There's still TrackIR, though!
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#62 - 2014-03-26 07:37:50 UTC
Yeah, I don't trust Facebook even a tiny little bit. It made me laugh when Zuckerberg was telling off the US government saying "People have no trust in the internet anymore", and I was thinking "The person I trust the least is YOU! You openly sell our data to everyone".

Ah well RIP Oculus I guess. CCP, any plans to roll Valkyrie out to PS4 and/or will it run without Oculus? If not, RIP Valkyrie too I guess :D

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#63 - 2014-03-26 07:39:27 UTC
Highly relevant.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Alastair Ormand
Mine all the things
#64 - 2014-03-26 07:43:13 UTC
http://i.imgur.com/8YvTe0d.png

I discourage running with scissors.

Catherine Wolfisheim
Perkone
Caldari State
#65 - 2014-03-26 07:45:26 UTC
I don't think that the Oculus Rift will suffer from Facebook, I actually think the money will help the Oculus Rift become an actual reality rather than falling apart. (Not everyone that works in game development will be happy about Facebook's input) However, my main problem lies within Facebook as a company and its ways of treating the users, who in turn reject my call for reason-- they refuse to read the facts, or simply do not care about Facebook's treatment of their data, of their privacy and the users themselves.
Akrasjel Lanate
Lanate Industries
#66 - 2014-03-26 07:48:41 UTC
Welp... Sad

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#67 - 2014-03-26 07:49:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
CCP have already talked about it it seems. I wonder if they will still be so excited when they realise their playerbase doesn't agree?
Quote:
The developer behind the Rift's highest profile game, and the one that Oculus trots out time and again when there's new hardware to show off (EVE: Valkyrie), has nothing but praise.

"We're very excited for our friends and colleagues at Oculus," David Reid, CCP Games' CMO told us. "We share their vision about the future of VR and gaming and are looking forward to participating in the consumer launch of the Oculus Rift with EVE: Valkyrie."
Source

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#68 - 2014-03-26 07:55:25 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
CCP have already talked about it it seems. I wonder if they will still be so excited when they realise their playerbase doesn't agree?
Quote:
The developer behind the Rift's highest profile game, and the one that Oculus trots out time and again when there's new hardware to show off (EVE: Valkyrie), has nothing but praise.

"We're very excited for our friends and colleagues at Oculus," David Reid, CCP Games' CMO told us. "We share their vision about the future of VR and gaming and are looking forward to participating in the consumer launch of the Oculus Rift with EVE: Valkyrie."
Source

I wouldn't really expect them to say anything else. I honestly think they got lucky about Valkyrie being the flagship program for Oculus, and they can't back out now.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

ImYourMom
Retribution Holdings Corp
Retribution.
#69 - 2014-03-26 08:02:16 UTC
oh dear, well that will work out well.

sign in to facebook for, share with your friends, post here to move on - oh god no...
Tim Helmert
Section31
#70 - 2014-03-26 08:09:30 UTC
please cancel this contract with occulus rift, so the game is not involved in facebook!!!!

send zuckerberg to desert!
Misunderstood Genius
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#71 - 2014-03-26 08:09:58 UTC
This is a betrayal of all Kickstarter supporters. Modern developers lack of modesty and principles. In the beginning they have a vision. At the end it's all about money. Probably the Locust Rift will send our retina data to FB in the future. This capitalism crap is annoying. Notch (Minecraft) has stopped the development for the Rift now. Correct move. But he sits anyway on a big pile of money and will be immune to any of those locusts like Google or FB.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#72 - 2014-03-26 08:10:11 UTC
ImYourMom wrote:
oh dear, well that will work out well.

sign in to facebook for, share with your friends, post here to move on - oh god no...
Even if it's not like that, I simply don't trust Facebook enough to trust they won't try to track everything to sell on. The great thing about the rift was that it was independently funded and wasn't just the agenda of a larger company. If I'm going to be trusting a larger company to push a product on me and the choices are FB and Sony, FB loses hands down.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#73 - 2014-03-26 08:14:49 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Quote:

Source

I wouldn't really expect them to say anything else. I honestly think they got lucky about Valkyrie being the flagship program for Oculus, and they can't back out now.
They should just cut their losses, or migrate across to another VR system. There's another independent one floating about or Sony's one which will undoubtedly be pretty stable. When are people going to learn that Facebook doesn't attract gamers. It attract's middle aged women and children who want to build farms, cafes and breed animals on their phones. The type of person that's going to pay hundreds of dollars for a VR headset to play space dogfighting games is not a great lover of Facebook.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#74 - 2014-03-26 08:17:33 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Quote:

Source

They should just cut their losses, or migrate across to another VR system. There's another independent one floating about or Sony's one which will undoubtedly be pretty stable. When are people going to learn that Facebook doesn't attract gamers. It attract's middle aged women and children who want to build farms, cafes and breed animals on their phones. The type of person that's going to pay hundreds of dollars for a VR headset to play space dogfighting games is not a great lover of Facebook.

Oh, believe me, I agree.

I predict either an unwillingness to back out, or an inability to do so. Can't change the POS code, and all that. It's entirely possible that they literally are in too deep at this point.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Astro Creep
Section31
#75 - 2014-03-26 08:18:02 UTC
Minecraft stop the business with Oculus + Facebook!
Minecraft have the balls.

CCP do not disappoint us!!!
Jaxon Grylls
Institute of Archaeology
#76 - 2014-03-26 08:20:51 UTC
Val'Dore wrote:
You guys are looking at this all wrong. FB is going to pioneer the first completely virtual world with social networking and virtual reality combined.

Think of it like real life, with no dirt.

Yeah, instead they'll have data scraping and adverts!

No thanks.

Oh, did you forget the /sarcasm tag?
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#77 - 2014-03-26 08:26:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Sentamon
Eve Valkyrie: Facebook Edition.

• View this add from our sponsor to launch your ship.
  • Like this approaching Tengu to apply damage.
  • Zoom your view on the Tengu and Like the logo from our sponsor for better targeting.
  • Are you enjoying your experience, Like if you are.

• You have been Banned for excessive violence.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Paul Otichoda
Perkone
Caldari State
#78 - 2014-03-26 08:37:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Paul Otichoda
As the Occulus Rift presently operates what personal information is Facebook actually going to harvest? How long you play game X then take it off because it is giving you a headache? Sure if you surf the web on it then facebook might try to data mine but pretty much everyone is already doing that.

As everyone is starting to talk about VR as the future (again) could it be that Zuckerberg is just buying up a hot company to get the tech to try and push the underlying tech.

So are people overreacting a little?

Sure its bad that a kickstarter firm is selling out but I'm pretty sure kickstarter only really applied to the actual product not the company.
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#79 - 2014-03-26 08:43:36 UTC
Paul Otichoda wrote:

As everyone is starting to talk about VR as the future (again) could it be that Zuckerberg is just buying up a hot company to get the tech to try and push the underlying tech.

Hah! Thanks for the laugh.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Yongtau Naskingar
Yongtau Naskingar Corporation
#80 - 2014-03-26 08:46:43 UTC
Paul Otichoda wrote:

So are people overreacting a little?

TechCrunch wrote:

Zuckerberg explained that he felt that Oculus represented an entirely new post-PC and post-mobile platform.

Indeed, after not moving quickly on other earlier deals, perhaps Zuckerberg felt that he needed to be more preemptive.

Because Facebook doesn’t own its own mobile operating system, it has had to pursue a more horizontal strategy by building several standalone mobile apps and creating a social layer across third-party apps. But because mobile phones can also be connected by the address book, other competing mobile social networks like Snapchat have been able to rise up quickly and accumulate hundreds of millions of users.

He doesn't want to push VR, he wants to OWN VR.