These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jester Trek Latest Blog

First post First post
Author
Rob Kashuken
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#1721 - 2014-03-26 03:14:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Rob Kashuken
Tor Norman wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
Word is CCP is actively investigating the incident.

Permabans for E1 and Co.

Source? Because as far as anyone can tell, no rules have been broken. (Wishful thinking is not a source)

EULA:
Quote:
CCP may take any action it deems appropriate regarding any User Content, if CCP believes, in its sole discretion, that such User Content violates the EULA or may expose CCP, its licensors and/or its suppliers to liability, damage CCP's relationship with any of its suppliers, licensors, ISPs or other users of EVE, harm anyone or harm CCP's reputation or goodwill

Bolded for emphasis

A rule doesn't necessarily have to be broken. And PR media writing about CCP encouraging online bullying would certainly be harmful to CCP's reputation.

Edit: Mucked up quote tags.
LUMINOUS SPIRIT
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1722 - 2014-03-26 03:14:53 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:

Its a huge legal liability for CCP too, because who knows what could potentially culminate out of this degree of OUT OF GAME abuse of other players, including someone getting physically hurt or at worst some nut showing up to a Fanfest with a home-made pipebomb.

I can imagine the news report.

"Disgruntled EVE player visits violence upon innocent fangoers after being scammed out of virtual assets which he did not legally own."

Dont forget the second part.

'Said person is gifted with billions of isk, supers of choice, and other EVE goodies by sympathetic community"
Mario Putzo
#1723 - 2014-03-26 03:15:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Mario Putzo
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Xuixien wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:

Its a huge legal liability for CCP too, because who knows what could potentially culminate out of this degree of OUT OF GAME abuse of other players, including someone getting physically hurt or at worst some nut showing up to a Fanfest with a home-made pipebomb.

"Disgruntled EVE player visits violence upon innocent fangoers after being scammed out of virtual assets which he did not legally own."

You are overlooking something.

If you are dealing with the kind of person who could bring a bomb to a gathering because they are disgruntled over pixels, they are not going to be well aware of the notions of virtual assets and ownership. They are simply going to be worked up or resentful about something.

Thus screening out someone who might be unstable and instigating their rage endangers the community.

and he would be called a terrorist and peed on gitmo. (and it is no ones fault but the guy holding the bomb.)
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#1724 - 2014-03-26 03:16:09 UTC
Tor Norman wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

Permabans for E1 and Co.

Source? Because as far as anyone can tell, no rules have been broken. (Wishful thinking is not a source)

I read it in a dev post earlier. But you want to know what the chance of my dredging through this forum so you can park your lazy ass and do nothing is?

Right. Go find it yourself.

Mr Epeen Cool
EI Digin
irc.zulusquad.org
#1725 - 2014-03-26 03:17:12 UTC
Eve Online: Terrorist breeding ground?
Alyth Nerun
Foundation for CODE and THE NEW ORDER
#1726 - 2014-03-26 03:17:17 UTC
Just wana say hello in an epic thread where people get mad because some homophobic guy had to sing a few songs to get his pixel spaceships back.

Also, pranks are now torture.. this kids today...
Salvos Rhoska
#1727 - 2014-03-26 03:17:34 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
You realize that all your stuff in game - your ISK, your ships, all your pixels - are not really yours, right?
They belong to CCP. So tell me what you were scammed out of? Nothing.

If you think this is about Erotica1s ingame aquisition of other players assets (as owned by CCP), then thats your own mistake.
It isn't about that. Scamming within EVE, is fine. Acquiring assets from other players within EVE, is fine, as long as it does not violate EULA.

Predating on the EVE player base for purposes of exploiting them in an OUT OF GAME "Bonus Room" however, is very against the EULA.

Xuixien wrote:
Consent to being recorded and consent to broadcast: Check.

Proof needed.

Xuixien wrote:
If you want to get legal... let's talk about the death threats, shall we?

Made under duress, and after extended period of harassment, humiliation and degrading.

Are you saying you think the "Bonus Room" is subject to the EULA?
Be very careful what you say now.
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#1728 - 2014-03-26 03:17:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Unsuccessful At Everything
Tor Norman wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

Permabans for E1 and Co.

What??!!?!? Wishful thinking is NOT a source? Do the sheeple know? Quick! Ripard, post a blog about "wishful thinking is not a source" so that the sheeple may believe! Hers some source material for the blog post.

Quote:
Experiment 3 showed that under some circumstances, wishes concerning one event can produce systematic source memory errors for others.
OMG...Ripard's wishful thinking may actually be producing memory errors in others, and im pretty sure the sheeple present in this thread are proving it! Im linking this thread to the university as further proof of their experiment.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#1729 - 2014-03-26 03:18:53 UTC
Alyth Nerun wrote:
Just wana say hello in an epic thread where people get mad because some homophobic guy had to sing a few songs to get his pixel spaceships back.

Also, pranks are now torture.. this kids today...

I'm pretty sure it wasn't just torture, it was ****!!!!

Because none of it was consensual, at any point, ever!

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Mario Putzo
#1730 - 2014-03-26 03:19:22 UTC
BAN THE MITTANI

Everyone knows he is the puppetmasta!
Divine Entervention
Doomheim
#1731 - 2014-03-26 03:19:47 UTC
Considering he's suppose to represent the community, I feel his post adequately represents the issues the community has.

Big ol' +1 for him standing up to speak the opinion many of us share.

I feel he is fulfilling his obligation, "The purpose of the CSM is to represent society interests to CCP".

Thanks
LUMINOUS SPIRIT
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1732 - 2014-03-26 03:20:56 UTC
Tor Norman wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

Permabans for E1 and Co.

grapevine. Or, people who know people.
Goldiiee
Bureau of Astronomical Anomalies
#1733 - 2014-03-26 03:21:35 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
Salvos Rhoska wrote:

Your kidding right? Colorado, not long ago? A guy killing Batman movie goers because he was emulating the Joker. How would this be much different?

Things that keep me up at night;  Why do we use a voice communication device to send telegraphs? Moore's Law should state, Once you have paid off the last PC upgrade you will need another.

Muestereate
Minions LLC
#1734 - 2014-03-26 03:23:48 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
Tor Norman wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

Permabans for E1 and Co.

Okay, so...

How do you figure out who's "and Co." in order to issue the bans?

Sounds like a witch hunt to me.

If we told you we'd have to scam you.
Salvos Rhoska
#1735 - 2014-03-26 03:24:34 UTC
Xuixien wrote:

This is actually quite funny.

I've noticed and made note of no less than 8 different individuals saying the following:
"I knew about the "Bonus Room". I've participated from time to time and listened in. But I didnt "really" like it."

Seems like the rats are already abandoning a sinking ship.
Their fun is over.
They know the hammer is falling.
Xuixien
#1736 - 2014-03-26 03:25:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Xuixien
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Predating on the EVE player base for purposes of exploiting them in an OUT OF GAME "Bonus Room" however, is very against the EULA.

Again, please post the supporting elements of the EULA. Still waiting on that one.

Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Proof needed.

Happens at the beginning of every Bonus Round that gets recorded. "We record every Bonus Round to protect us against EULA violations" - right at the beginning of this one. The client proceeds with the Bonus Round - that's implied consent.

Salvos Rhoska wrote:

Made under duress, and after extended period of harassment, humiliation and degrading.

Completely irrelevant, maybe it'll let you accept a plea bargain under "mitigating circumstances".

EDIT: Formatting is hard.

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#1737 - 2014-03-26 03:25:46 UTC
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

People who know people. Because third and fourth hand information is always reliable, right?

Ever play that game in school where one person whispers something in one persons ear, and then that person tells another, and that person tells another, and so on, until it goes around the room and the message has changed completely?

Yeah..pretty sure your friend's brother-in-law's ex-wife's former hair dresser's gardner's cousin thrice removed's next door neighbor's dogwalker who lives across the street from someone who knew Hilmar is not a reliable source.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Xuixien
#1738 - 2014-03-26 03:26:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Xuixien
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Xuixien wrote:

This is actually quite funny.

I've noticed and made note of no less than 8 different individuals saying the following:
"I knew about the "Bonus Room". I've participated from time to time and listened in. But I didnt "really" like it."

Seems like the rats are already abandoning a sinking ship.
Their fun is over.
They know the hammer is falling.

Yeah, I've sat and listened to Bonus Rounds. And I think they're hilarious.

I think this one is hilarious, especially when you flip out at the end and your wife/mother or whoever comes to save you.

Are you saying CCP is within the rights to ban me for listening to people interact on TeamSpeak? Or laughing at you make a fool of yourself in a recording?

Really now, you're approaching the absurd.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1739 - 2014-03-26 03:27:22 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

People who know people. Because third and fourth hand information is always reliable, right?

Ever play that game in school where one person whispers something in one persons ear, and then that person tells another, and that person tells another, and so on, until it goes around the room and the message has changed completely?

Yeah..pretty sure your friend's brother-in-law's ex-wife's former hair dresser's gardner's cousin thrice removed's next door neighbor's dogwalker who lives across the street from someone who knew Hilmar is not a reliable source.

Out of curiosity, is deliberately misrepresenting CCP communications bannable?

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Tor Norman
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1740 - 2014-03-26 03:27:31 UTC
Rob Kashuken wrote:
Tor Norman wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:

Permabans for E1 and Co.

EULA:
Quote:
CCP may take any action it deems appropriate regarding any User Content, if CCP believes, in its sole discretion, that such User Content violates the EULA or may expose CCP, its licensors and/or its suppliers to liability, damage CCP's relationship with any of its suppliers, licensors, ISPs or other users of EVE, harm anyone or harm CCP's reputation or goodwill

Bolded for emphasis

A rule doesn't necessarily have to be broken. And PR media writing about CCP encouraging online bullying would certainly be harmful to CCP's reputation.

Edit: Mucked up quote tags.

So, the appropriate reaction here is to give Ero a warning and amend the rules such that scamming for material benefit (eg ISK) is fine, but scamming for emotional distress (eg, even if you own 100% of a player's possessions, you continue to torment them) isn't allowed.

Not sure how effectively CCP could police such a rule but that seems like a reasonable course of action to me.

Permabans would be a pretty poor decision on CCP's part and that EULA quote does nothing to suggest otherwise.

I talk about EVE trading and general space violence in my blog.

For the ISK and the yarr!