These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jester Trek Latest Blog

First post First post
Author
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#461 - 2014-03-25 17:22:51 UTC
God, I'd love this case to go before Judge Judy.
Winchester Steele
#462 - 2014-03-25 17:23:45 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
And revelling in others misfortune, thats pretty hypocritical right there.

Oh. You mean like Erotica1 revelling in the misfortune of his victims?

Hows that for hypocrisy now?

Im losing count of checkmates here :D

To those of us who believe in rational, logical and sane discourse, that would be a grand total of 0 checkmates. Hth.

Big Lynx
#463 - 2014-03-25 17:24:12 UTC
metaphoricly spoken :)
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#464 - 2014-03-25 17:25:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Winchester Steele wrote:
To those of us who believe in rational, logical and sane discourse, that would be a grand total of 0 checkmates. Hth.
This is GD, rational, logical and sane discourse have no place or power here. Roll

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Capt Starfox
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#465 - 2014-03-25 17:25:29 UTC
Big Lynx wrote:
In 21st century many of the 90s and early 2000s generations forget that virtual scamming, bashing or whatever is real(life) scamming, bashing etc. because you are dealing with REAL human beings!!

I'd puke in Erotica's face if I'd meet him in rl (hope I never will), however, EVE Online gives him the platform for his pathetic intentions.

Scamming is one thing, but that is pathetic.

Oh man, so my space stuff.. is real stuff?!?!?!?!?!

Abandon all hope ye who x up in fleet

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#466 - 2014-03-25 17:27:12 UTC
Big Lynx wrote:
metaphoricly spoken :)

Big Lynx wrote:

I'd puke in Erotica's face if I'd meet him in rl (hope I never will), however, EVE Online gives him the platform for his pathetic intentions.

I'd be interested to know how you metaphorically puke in someones face in real life?

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#467 - 2014-03-25 17:27:13 UTC
Wesley Otsdarva wrote:
Batelle wrote:
Wesley Otsdarva wrote:
Getting on an emotional rollercoaster is easy, getting off is hard. And having people pressuring you to keep going down that path makes it even harder.

Maybe its hard if your mouse-hand is broken. I, too, am often compelled by complete strangers to humiliate myself and give away all my money.

If they would of just said "HA, we fooled you" and stole his assets. I'd be ok with it. But tormenting him for it by giving him false hope of some way of redemption. No. Convincing him that it'd be worth it in the end. No.

You're saying that humiliation just for the sake of humiliation is the line crossed here. But that is incorrect. Revenge, humiliation, whatever, people do a lot of stuff to hurt others in this game even if they gain nothing or even have to lose something as well to achieve it. That in and of itself has never been a problem. The outrage is only over the nature of the humiliation, and the subject matter of it.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#468 - 2014-03-25 17:27:15 UTC
Oh, and please feel free to tip my bounty. Maybe if some of the people here bump me up to #1, no one will play my game...

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#469 - 2014-03-25 17:27:20 UTC
Erotica 1 wrote:
You would think all of these people here who want to see me dead in real life would vote for me for CSM! Someone asked why I'm not responding... I'm on page 13 and everytime I hit the next page, this thread grows by one or two pages.

You aren't. Your recent post history agrees with me.

No need to thank me.

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#470 - 2014-03-25 17:27:29 UTC
Marcia en Welle wrote:

So we should base our stance based upon how the press will react? Isn't that pretty spineless and what we despise politicians so much for. I wont take any morale lectures from the press that is for certain, and CCP should not too.

Righteous indignation doesn't keep the servers running. Welcome to the real world.

Mr Epeen Cool
Capt Starfox
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#471 - 2014-03-25 17:29:42 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
I see this as using a game as the means to an end. Not playing a game and taking advantage of the mechanics.

Pulling people outside of the game for their twisted amusement is the modus operandi of pedophiles and psychopaths.

CCP could wash their hands of this legally, but once something bad happens out-of-game things will get really bad for them really fast. The press is not your friend, CCP. Nip this in the bud.

Mittanigate was a worldwide sensation (in the gaming press) and what he did was nothing compared to what Erotica1 has going on. You are in for a world of hurt if you don't get a handle on this.

Mr Epeen Cool

If you're suggesting that someone hurts themselves and/or someone else because of a virtual pixel space sim spaceship video game, then that's not the fault of the game developer, nor the people involved in said video game. Rather it would be the fault of the persons family.. if we were to cast blame.

Abandon all hope ye who x up in fleet

Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#472 - 2014-03-25 17:29:44 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:

Righteous indignation doesn't keep the servers running.

The non-eve-playing public doesn't exactly pay subscriptions either.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Salvos Rhoska
#473 - 2014-03-25 17:31:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
There are two separate contexts involved here.

What is happening in-game, and what is happening outside the game.

1) Ingame:

Erotica1 is free to and within his rights to perpetrate as many scams as he wants. His doubling scheme, insofar as what happens ingame, is allowed and fine. He can aquire ingame assets from other whether consentually by them giving them to him, or by ingame aggression. This is the same and true for all in EVE.

Nobody is claiming that what is happening ingame is a violation of EULA, the games rules or its internal context.

When someone hands over their assets ingame to Erotica1, that is their own choice (though an emminently stupid one) and there is no recourse for complaint either legally or to CCP.

This part is all well and fine. What is actually happening inside the game is not a problem.

2) Outside the game:

This is where the problems arise. Though ingame, everyone is operating under the EULA and CCPs service terms, what happens outside of the game (in this case in 3rd party voice chat communications) the individuals are no longer operating as "characters" ingame. They are now autonomous, responsible and accountable people subject to the rule of law and social norms as is everyone else in all activities in their mundane lives outside of the game.

They are no longer players in a game, they are now people.

What Erotica1 is doing to these other PEOPLE, outside of the game, is absolutely and unequivocably illegal.

Though the assets ingame have already been transferred, legitimatelymboth legally and within the context of the game itself, he then begins an extended process of blackmailing the PERSON, in a 3rd party out of game format, as an independant and responsible and accountable PERSON himself.

By holding the ingame assets as ransom, he blackmails the PERSON OUTSIDE OF THE GAME for return of those ingame assets.
This is no longer hapoening within the game, it is outside of it. He is no longer using the games internal mechanics in order to scam someone, he is doing it IN PERSON to that OTHER PERSON in a format that is OUTSIDE the games context. He merely excercised his freedom of expression, and though what he said was held morally reprehensible by many, there is no crime in that.

As to the actual mechanisms of that blackmail, those are apparent in the recording, and carry several aggravating instances.
-He holds the ingame assets as ransom against the PERSON to perform OUT OF GAME demeaning tasks, such as in this case PERSONALLY reading OUT OF GAME texts.
-The incident is aggravated by demonstrable malice, because there is no longer any INGAME assets to be aquired through the process. Erotica1 already has the other players assets at this point. Ecerything that happens in the voice chat is NOT for the purposes of aquiring any more ingame assets, by blackmailmhappening outside the game, but by MALICE to demean and humiliate the victim.
-That Erotica1 does this with INTENT is demonstrated by the fsct this is not a one off incident. It is not defensible as a one off emotional act without planning or intent. It is systematic and repeated.
-Including other people in the recordings, and other specifics of the act of blackmail, he induces DURESS on the victim. In this specific even to the extremepoint that the victims wife, concerned for the demonstrably harmed harmed victim, tried to entreat cessation of the blackmail.
-The incident is protracted. This is not a 5min affair, the tormenting continues for a full fking 2hrs. This raises the degree of severity of the crime implicitly, as an aggravating element.

CCP is not responsible for this.

Erotica1 is HIMSELF completely responsible for his own conduct outside of the game, which is where ALL of this occurs.

In my opinion, Erotica1s actions OUT OF THE GAME constitute illegal and criminal behavior.

As such, I hope that one of his victims does indeed report this matter to their local police, regardless of jurisdiction.

Furthermore, CCP is also in my view completely within its rights to file charges against Erotica1 for misusing the service they provide to enable his OWN illegal activities of blackmail.

And if the blackmail charges dont stick, the case can be tried as any number of charges relating to willfully causing psychological harm and duress to another person in voth criminal and civil courts.

The one existing precedent we have of this, is the Mittani incident. But The Mittani DID NOT BREAK ANY LAWS.
Even in that case, and as is generally held as a good thing, CCP took actiin to indicate that it does not, as a company, endorse or support anti-social behavior inside OR OUTSIDE the game, as an extension of their services.

To those who argue that CCP delineating on this wouldnbe amslippery slope threatening the precious nature of EVE that we all love, that is not a valid concern for two reasons:

1) Erotica1s conduct in the recording happens OUTSIDE OF THE GAME. What he is doing is not EVE. It is not natural to the game. It is happening OUTSIDE the game.

2) The slippery slope argument works both ways. If CCP does not delineate that it does not support thismkind of behavior by any extension in relation to its services and client base, then this kind od thing that Erotica1 is doing by EXTENSION from the game will only conceivably get worse, to the absolute worst case scenario of some disgruntled individual actually showing up to a Fanfest with a pipebomb. I strongly urge that CCP needs to protect its clients from persons like Erotica1 utilising their service for activities such as this. The EULA stipulates that players can and should be protected from this kind of behavior.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#474 - 2014-03-25 17:32:04 UTC
Malcolm from Marketing wrote:

There's only one major factor needed to judge where the line needs to be drawn, shall i tell you what it is as you appear to be devoid of realizing it yourself, or you do know what it is but prefer to pretend you dont just to provoke other posters.

It's Morality.

Machagon wrote:
Please, just stop this. At least pick a different metaphor.....

What makes Erotica1's behaviour ethically equivalent to consensual gay sex? I would love it if you would spell out your reasoning for that before continuing to use this metaphor.

But you see it IS a good metaphor, but not for the reason you mention.

If morality is to be the judgement stick by which actions are based, then you MUST see that an example like this one is a perfect metaphor;

Some people believe that it is immoral to allow discrimination against it

Some people believe it is immoral to allow it

Which is right?

The point being; if you can find me the defining measurement of what is truly moral, then Mister your a better man than I...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgC8iz_ALik

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Marcia en Welle
Doomheim
#475 - 2014-03-25 17:34:38 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Marcia en Welle wrote:

So we should base our stance based upon how the press will react? Isn't that pretty spineless and what we despise politicians so much for. I wont take any morale lectures from the press that is for certain, and CCP should not too.

Righteous indignation doesn't keep the servers running. Welcome to the real world.

Mr Epeen Cool

I'm well aware of the real world. And am also well aware that those who go for short term gains, those who are cow towed by the press, suffer in the long term and are not remembered kindly.

Sure CCP could take some damage over this, but the damage will be far greater if give up their principles and give in to the righteous indignation which will come from the press reaction. The bad press will last a day or two and then will go away when they find something more selacious to splash on their front pages, the damage from giving into the unreasonable demands on this thread and in the press will last a lot longer.
Winchester Steele
#476 - 2014-03-25 17:34:59 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
If someone roundhouse kicked Erotica1, I would laugh and applaud :)

And Im completely within my rights to say and think so, both offline and here on this board.

You can think Im a "bad" person for that, but no law or contract prevents me from laughing or applauding, nor for saying I would.

It wouldnt be me kicking him, and its entirely within my purview how I, as an unassociated autonomous individual, choose to respond to that with laughter and clapping, or to say that that would be my reaction.

Nope thats cool. Different strokes for different folks. What makes me think you are a "bad" poster is that it's ok for you to have a laugh at someone's misfortune, but when anyone else does it they are "morally reprehensible". Personally I think you should be banned for advocating RL violence over actions in a video game. Maybe I'll write a twisted, self serving polemical blog about it.

Notorious Fellon
#477 - 2014-03-25 17:35:38 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:

There's only one major factor needed to judge where the line needs to be drawn, shall i tell you what it is as you appear to be devoid of realizing it yourself, or you do know what it is but prefer to pretend you dont just to provoke other posters.

It's Morality.

Machagon wrote:
Please, just stop this. At least pick a different metaphor.....

What makes Erotica1's behaviour ethically equivalent to consensual gay sex? I would love it if you would spell out your reasoning for that before continuing to use this metaphor.

But you see it IS a good metaphor, but not for the reason you mention.

If morality is to be the judgement stick by which actions are based, then you MUST see that an example like this one is a perfect metaphor;

Some people believe that it is immoral to allow discrimination against it

Some people believe it is immoral to allow it

Which is right?

The point being; if you can find me the defining measurement of what is truly moral, then Mister your a better man than I...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgC8iz_ALik

Injecting a politically and religiously charged topic into the discussion is not helping; it is trolling.

It serves no purpose in the discussion other than to make people angry.

Crime, it is not a "career", it is a lifestyle.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#478 - 2014-03-25 17:35:51 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
There are two separate contexts involved here.

What is happening in-game, and what is happening outside the game.

1) Ingame:

Erotica1 is free to and within his rights to perpetrate as many scams as he wants. His doubling scheme, insofar as what happens ingame, is allowed and fine. He can aquire ingame assets from other whether consentually by them giving them to him, or by ingame aggression. This is the same and true for all in EVE.

Nobody is claiming that what is happening ingame is a violation of EULA, the games rules or its internal context.

When someone hands over their assets ingame to Erotica1, that is their own choice (though an emminently stupid one) and there is no recourse for complaint either legally or to CCP.

This part is all well and fine. What is actually happening inside the game is not a problem.

2) Outside the game:

This is where the problems arise. Though ingame, everyone is operating under the EULA and CCPs service terms, what happens outside of the game (in this case in 3rd party voice chat communications) the individuals are no longer operating as "characters" ingame. They are now autonomous, responsible and accountable people subject to the rule of law and social norms as is everyone else in all activities in their mundane lives outside of the game.

They are no longer players in a game, they are now people.

What Erotica1 is doing to these other PEOPLE, outside of the game, is absolutely and unequivocably illegal.

Though the assets ingame have already been transferred, legitimatelymboth legally and within the context of the game itself, he then begins an extended process of blackmailing the PERSON, in a 3rd party out of game format, as an independant and responsible and accountable PERSON himself.

By holding the ingame assets as ransom, he blackmails the PERSON OUTSIDE OF THE GAME for return of those ingame assets.
This is no longer hapoening within the game, it is outside of it. He is no longer using the games internal mechanics in order to scam someone, he is doing it IN PERSON to that OTHER PERSON in a format that is OUTSIDE the games context.

As to the actual mechanisms of that blackmail, those are apparent in the recording, and carry several aggravating instances.
-He holds the ingame assets as ransom against the PERSON to perform OUT OF GAME demeaning tasks, such as in this case PERSONALLY reading OUT OF GAME texts.
-The incident is aggravated by demonstrable malice, because there is no longer any INGAME assets to be aquired through the process. Erotica1 already has the other players assets at this point. Ecerything that happens in the voice chat is NOT for the purposes of aquiring any more ingame assets, by blackmailmhappening outside the game, but by MALICE to demean and humiliate the victim.
-That Erotica1 does this with INTENT is demonstrated by the fsct this is not a one off incident. It is not defensible as a one off emotional act without planning or intent. It is systematic and repeated.
-Including other people in the recordings, and other specifics of the act of blackmail, he induces DURESS on the victim. In this specific even to the extremepoint that the victims wife, concerned for the demonstrably harmed harmed victim, tried to entreat cessation of the blackmail.
-The incident is protracted. This is not a 5min affair, the tormenting continues for a full fking 2hrs. This raises the degree of severity of the crime implicitly, as an aggravating element.

CCP is not responsible for this.

Erotica1 is HIMSELF completely responsible for his own conduct outside of the game, which is where ALL of this occurs.

In my opinion, Erotica1s actions OUT OF THE GAME constitute illegal and criminal behavior.

As such, I hope that one of his victims does indeed report this matter to their local police, regardless of jurisdiction.

Furthermore, CCP is also in my view completely within its rights to file charges against Erotica1 for misusing the service they provide to enable his OWN illegal activities of blackmail.

And if the blackmail charges dont stick, the case can be tried as any number of charges relating to willfully causing psychological harm and duress to another person in voth criminal and civil courts.

The one existing precedent we have of this, is the Mittani incident. But The Mittani DID NOT BREAK ANY LAWS.
Even in that case, and as is generally held as a good thing, CCP took actiin to indicate that it does not, as a company, endorse or support anti-social behavior inside OR OUTSIDE the game, as an extension of their services.

To those who argue that CCP delineating on this wouldnbe amslippery slope threatening the precious nature of EVE that we all love, that is not a valid concern for two reasons:

1) Erotica1s conduct in the recording happens OUTSIDE OF THE GAME. What he is doing is not EVE. It is not natural to the game. It is happening OUTSIDE the game.

2) The slippery slope argument works both ways. If CCP does not delineate that it does not support thismkind of behavior by any extension in relation to its services and client base, then this kind od thing that Erotica1 is doing by EXTENSION from the game will only conceivably get worse, to the absolute worst case scenario of some disgruntled individual actually showing up to a Fanfest with a pipebomb. I strongly urge that CCP needs to protect its clients from persons like Erotica1 utilising their service for activities such as this. The EULA stipulates that players can and should be protected from this kind of behavior.
'

The only person who needs the police called om them is whoever typed the words in this post.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#479 - 2014-03-25 17:36:00 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
18 pages in and I'm still waiting for someone to tell me where they think CCP's responsibility to police our out of game actions ends.

No player will participate in any out of game actions with the intent to cause emotional distress for their own enjoyment and gain.

Hows that?

So if my girlfriend is an EVE player and I bang her sister, I'm banned?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#480 - 2014-03-25 17:36:13 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
OUTSIDE OF THE GAME

Erotica 1 uses Eve Voice instead of Teamspeak. Reformulate your argument. Go!

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."