These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

(Solved) Lock Pin Windows Feature

First post
Author
CydoniusElfo
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2011-11-29 21:18:56 UTC
I don't know if its because of this pinning thing but I have 2 windows that just won't stay in their place everytime i dock up....
Cpt Greagor
Liquid Relief
#22 - 2011-11-29 21:24:50 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:
Denidil wrote:
CCP Punkturis wrote:
everybody calm down, we're adding the option to lock windows back in as soon as possible!

correct ambassador to send to calm the creepy nerd hordes.

haha!

most people are just going to read the original post and get really angry and post more and miss my comment anyways Blink

Added your quote to my original post so a couple less people will rage now =)

- Today's Goals -  Log Into Forums - [X] Make More Useless Posts - [X] Log Into EVE - [  ]

Zagam
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#23 - 2011-11-29 21:24:52 UTC
CydoniusElfo wrote:
I don't know if its because of this pinning thing but I have 2 windows that just won't stay in their place everytime i dock up....

You need to have a stern talk with them, and make sure they stay in place, or you will send them to time out.
ShadowMaster
#24 - 2011-11-29 21:25:04 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:
everybody calm down, we're adding the option to lock windows back in as soon as possible!

Glad to hear it. May I ask why it was removed? Was it a design choice to remove it or was it removed because it was broken due to some other change and the intention was always to bring it back?
Shirley C
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2011-11-29 21:27:16 UTC
As far as I can remember from the discussions that were had about this on Sisi, this was removed due to the fact that the code was old, ugly, innefficient and causing a lot of issues. They had every intention of bringing it back, but they had to write a new method to do it which wouldnt break with every little change they make in the UI.

Source: conversations had on Sisi with Devs/BH
CCP Punkturis
C C P
C C P Alliance
#26 - 2011-11-29 21:28:36 UTC
ShadowMaster wrote:
CCP Punkturis wrote:

Glad to hear it. May I ask why it was removed? Was it a design choice to remove it or was it removed because it was broken due to some other change and the intention was always to bring it back?

It was removed because of technical issues (with flying windows) and we didn't realize this option was so popular.

As soon as we saw we made a mistake by removing it we decided to add it back in. But it was just too close to release to add it back in and still make sure the windows wouldn't be flying around.

So we decided to just add it back in soon after this release so we have more time to do testing.

This is the story of the Lock Pinned Windows feature that got lost and then saved again later Blink

♥ EVE Brogrammer ♥ Team Five 0 ♥ @CCP_Punkturis

Cpt Greagor
Liquid Relief
#27 - 2011-11-29 21:28:56 UTC
ShadowMaster wrote:
CCP Punkturis wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was removed because it was the so called reason as to why the windows would jump around upon docking/undocking, even though they still do it...

- Today's Goals -  Log Into Forums - [X] Make More Useless Posts - [X] Log Into EVE - [  ]

ShadowMaster
#28 - 2011-11-29 21:33:18 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:
It was removed because of technical issues (with flying windows) and we didn't realize this option was so popular.

As soon as we saw we made a mistake by removing it we decided to add it back in. But it was just too close to release to add it back in and still make sure the windows wouldn't be flying around.

So we decided to just add it back in soon after this release so we have more time to do testing.

This is the story of the Lock Pinned Windows feature that got lost and then saved again later Blink

Thank you very much, I appreciate the response and completely understand.

I look forward to you future work.

ShadowMaster
Ronson Lighter
Doomheim
#29 - 2011-11-29 21:35:28 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:
ShadowMaster wrote:
CCP Punkturis wrote:

I've ran into the following problem with the scan result windows of ship + cargo scanners. Prior to cruicible you were able to set the client up in such a way that a new result apeared in an excisting frame as a new tab. Currently this isn't possible anymore

New ship scan results show up as the size of the previous window and then in a cascading form on top of each other.

New cargo scan result windows keep showing up in the center of the screen in their smallest for possible, whatever I do.

Is this related to the removal of the lock window option?

Can you please look into this.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#30 - 2011-11-29 21:36:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Cpt Greagor wrote:
ShadowMaster wrote:
CCP Punkturis wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was removed because it was the so called reason as to why the windows would jump around upon docking/undocking, even though they still do it...

Yep, if I'm not mistaken it was an issue primarily with windows pinned next to the neo com or the system map area. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

Both of those area's tend to bump other windows out of their space when they are present (or slide out in the case of the Neo Com), so I can certainly see the issue.

Here is to a speedy fix (locking the windows IS handy, I will admit) and a minimum of rage. I suppose things like this are bound to happen in a game where you tend to keep a dozen or so information windows on your desktop during normal play. Smile

Quote:
New cargo scan result windows keep showing up in the center of the screen in their smallest for possible, whatever I do.

I've noticed this too, but with the frame rate display... which is not as big a deal of course.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#31 - 2011-11-30 00:56:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Morwen Lagann
CCP Punkturis wrote:

We only rage because we love you guys and this game. ._.

EDIT: Someone I know said they were still having the issue with windows jumping around, post-patch. I suggested they go into the settings and turn off window snapping entirely, on a hunch, and they said it seemed to have fixed the problem, if that helps you guys put it back in a functioning form sooner. /o\

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

Rhaegor Stormborn
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2011-11-30 01:00:48 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:
Denidil wrote:
CCP Punkturis wrote:

correct ambassador to send to calm the creepy nerd hordes.

haha!

most people are just going to read the original post and get really angry and post more and miss my comment anyways Blink

Now fix the font. Iterate on it or something because it is terrible.
Kartaugh
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2011-11-30 01:12:14 UTC
I'm having a weird problem where sometimes clicking on a link that opens a window will just hide the entire interface, occasionally hiding just a few frames...very disconcerting...

"It's not that I am afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Boris Grushenko

yumike
Doomheim
#34 - 2011-11-30 01:22:05 UTC
They were told in test server feedback that this wasn't acceptable.. But they pushed it to live anyway..
Sigh.

There was a 20+ page thread telling you why this was a bad idea, yet "you didnt see worth in keeping the feature in" according to ccp optimal.
Caellach Marellus
Stormcrows
#35 - 2011-11-30 01:29:48 UTC
Morwen Lagann wrote:
CCP Punkturis wrote:

We only rage because we love you guys and this game. ._.

EDIT: Someone I know said they were still having the issue with windows jumping around, post-patch. I suggested they go into the settings and turn off window snapping entirely, on a hunch, and they said it seemed to have fixed the problem, if that helps you guys put it back in a functioning form sooner. /o\

< The someone I know.

I've normally got my UI set up with the following going down the right.

Current target interface
Overview
Drones
Cargo

After docking (in CQ, not tried in shipspinny mode yet) and undocking, Cargo is shifted up to the top of the list. Size of each individual remains the same.

Disabling window snapping fixes it, but losing both windowsnapping and windowlock is slowly messing my pretty UI as everything melts together like hot cheese on toast :(

And I don't like Cheese.

When your gut instincts tell you something is wrong, trust them. When your heart tells you something is right, ignore it, check with your brain first. Accept nothing, challenge everything.

ITTigerClawIK
Galactic Rangers
#36 - 2011-11-30 01:41:19 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:
ShadowMaster wrote:
CCP Punkturis wrote:

many thanks for explanation as to the removal and the news of the inevitable return of locking pinned windows, i must have missed that part in the patch notes.... much shiney stuff to read about in there ^_^
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#37 - 2011-11-30 02:38:01 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:

The Dutchess hath spoken, and peace was returned unto the land.

Now get drunk and/or asleep.

You and your entourage has deserved it.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Kellaen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2011-11-30 03:31:08 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:

While we're at it, can we have some more iteration on the session-change timer. That depleting bar was great, this tiny swirling circle again is almost as terrible as the previous one on large resolutions (and no, I don't want to 150% my entire UI to make it larger).
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#39 - 2011-11-30 15:54:19 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:

But I was still working om my 6-page-megapost of rage Oops
Bridget Helm
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#40 - 2011-11-30 16:13:24 UTC
CCP Punkturis wrote:

♪ ♫

Quote:

I bring you the story of lost Pin in Eve
with a Hey diddle de dum die dum de dum day
the devs did fix something and it went a way
Flop de der dop de da dummy what the hey

And the people did rise up and shout and besmurch
Hum drum what de heck de dack do dack dor doday
A with a cry of the Punk master they said sorry
oh foo kack a hoo hack a se lee mis taak

So everything is fine now. All will be fixed
Hey diddle de dum de dee hee ha hey wee