These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

CSM Campaigns

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Manfred Sideous for [CSM9]

First post First post
Author
Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Fraternity.
#61 - 2014-02-21 19:51:15 UTC
Veskrashen wrote:
Posted this in the BNI Candidate's thread, but would be interested in your take as well:

We often hear about "risk vs. reward" from major Nullsec powers, who are dismayed that players can make so much isk in High Sec and FW. Gevlon Goblin (trolltastic as he may be) often points out that nullbears often have high sec or FW alts to make most of their casual isk. And yet, nullsec is always the focus of the increased rewards due to perceived risk - when aside from major fleet battles, there's precious little PvP risk in nullsec. FW space - or lowsec in general - plus highsec see far more kills per day than nearly any nullsec region not currently the target of an invasion. Even wormholes, with their lack of local chat, unpredictable connections, harder NPCs, and highly restricted ship movement are considered less of an "end game" and thus deserving of less attention / reward.

What's your take on risk vs. reward? What kind of risk should be compensated? Is Sov Nullsec actually safer than high sec and low sec, and should it be rewarded less as a result? If logistical difficulty is a factor, how does the prevalence of jump capable logistics networks that allow you to bypass all the traditional chokepoints and risks of travel out to the hinterlands of nullsec?

Also, what do you think of Marlona's power projection limitation idea, or Fiddler's "Adverse Possession" ideas?

The reason there are more kills in empire and lowsec is because its more densely populated. 85% of the games population resides in highsecurity and lowsecurity space . Because most people want to win they are afraid of risk afraid of loss. I am a firm believer more risk should equal more reward. High sec and lowsec you can dock anywhere you don't risk losing assets that you have in stations. You cannot be interdicted or drag bubbled or bombed or DD'd basically you are very safe unless you don't want to be safe. In regards to the blogs you listed they all have good and bad points I think everyone including CCP see power projection as a problem. I think risk versus reward needs to be balanced but we shouldn't be beating people with a stick to lowsec or nullsec but instead dangling huge carrots in front of them.

@EveManny

https://twitter.com/EveManny

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#62 - 2014-02-21 19:51:17 UTC
I like the feel of your position on things. However, I'm not a fan of gates only for everything. I have seen some serious gate camps including a sphere of abandoned drones which effectively shut down all gurilla style tactics. I'm more about limiting how often a group can abuse the jump drives and cynos. Enough to a point where it is not abuse and falls into a tactical decision that is not made on a whim. I suppose the is wormholes, but they are unpredictable.

I also agree completely about null industry and carrot status. Why go live at the edge of deep null when it is hard to travel to and nothing of value compared to farming level 4 missions? You need to out gold in the Klondike. Then, then living that far away from the safety of high sec will be attractive.
Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Fraternity.
#63 - 2014-02-21 19:54:21 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
I like the feel of your position on things. However, I'm not a fan of gates only for everything. I have seen some serious gate camps including a sphere of abandoned drones which effectively shut down all gurilla style tactics. I'm more about limiting how often a group can abuse the jump drives and cynos. Enough to a point where it is not abuse and falls into a tactical decision that is not made on a whim. I suppose the is wormholes, but they are unpredictable.

I also agree completely about null industry and carrot status. Why go live at the edge of deep null when it is hard to travel to and nothing of value compared to farming level 4 missions? You need to out gold in the Klondike. Then, then living that far away from the safety of high sec will be attractive.

I read your recent blog and its a good idea basically "Jump Mana" also agreed about risk versus reward and the idea that we need GIANT CARROTS to lure people into nullsec.

@EveManny

WarFireV
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#64 - 2014-02-22 00:59:56 UTC
To add to one same point, nullsec can sometimes feel safer then highsec, but that is mostly due to player action. Bubbled gates, blue standings with people around you, intel channels that see people miles away, ect.

Reality is that it is much more annoying for people to go out and kill nullsec ratters then it is to gank some tengu doing lv4, which won't even see it coming.
Vayeate Marquise
Doomheim
#65 - 2014-02-22 02:44:04 UTC
Has my vote

Problem? ~.~

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#66 - 2014-02-22 06:44:38 UTC
So here's a handful of questions!

Do you feel that the moon nerf was too severe? I'm personally not satisfied with the results - not because I'm averse to the idea of renters, but because the blocs have massively expanded their holdings to gain rental space. Do you believe that CCP should aim to make a bottom-up flow of wealth more feasible?

What are your thoughts on the role of supercapitals?

Should learning implants be removed from the game?

Do you believe that there should be more opportunities in 0.0/lowsec for lower skillpoint players? Particularly when it comes to income generation and PvP roles? (I know you hate FYF and damps in particular, but that doctrine was born out of the necessity for a newbie-friendly role)

What downsides would you see in a power projection nerf?

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Electric Dott
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#67 - 2014-02-22 08:34:47 UTC
Manfred Sideous wrote:

I read your recent blog and its a good idea basically "Jump Mana" also agreed about risk versus reward and the idea that we need GIANT CARROTS to lure people into nullsec.

Admittedly, I haven't read this blog but I'm curious what you mean by giant carrots? I hope you don't mean in a purely financial sense because expecting people to purely follow the money trail isn't going to work and just disgruntle players who prefer other areas of the game. If you want more players in 0.0 you need to make it so more players want to be there, for an example there is no room for the little guy in sov 0.0 at the moment. No matter how much the goonies and friends cry "make some friends" the fiercly independent sorts aren't going to form large gangs because it isn't what they want to be involved in.

TLDR; What giant carrots?
Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#68 - 2014-02-22 08:50:16 UTC
Electric Dott wrote:
Manfred Sideous wrote:

Admittedly, I haven't read this blog but I'm curious what you mean by giant carrots? I hope you don't mean in a purely financial sense because expecting people to purely follow the money trail isn't going to work and just disgruntle players who prefer other areas of the game. If you want more players in 0.0 you need to make it so more players want to be there, for an example there is no room for the little guy in sov 0.0 at the moment. No matter how much the goonies and friends cry "make some friends" the fiercly independent sorts aren't going to form large gangs because it isn't what they want to be involved in.

TLDR; What giant carrots?

The blog I wrote does not go into detail what the Giant Carrot would be, specifically that is. More of a change to the teleportation mechanics to make much needed breathing room for Giant Carrots to exist in null.
Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Fraternity.
#69 - 2014-02-22 20:46:25 UTC
Thanks http://eveskunk.com/ for the endorsement i'll try to answer more questions when I sober up some.

@EveManny

Sklullus Dromulus
Hoover Inc.
#70 - 2014-02-23 14:57:53 UTC
I cannot say I have heard a bad word about Manfred, and your ideas seem like they would greatly better eve as a whole. You have my vote.

Twitter: @Sklullus

Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Fraternity.
#71 - 2014-02-23 18:42:26 UTC
Sklullus Dromulus wrote:
I cannot say I have heard a bad word about Manfred, and your ideas seem like they would greatly better eve as a whole. You have my vote.

Thanks for the support!

@EveManny

Beffah
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#72 - 2014-02-24 00:15:30 UTC
+1
Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Fraternity.
#73 - 2014-02-24 17:04:04 UTC
Beffah wrote:
+1

Thanks for the support!

@EveManny

Manfred Sideous
H A V O C
Fraternity.
#74 - 2014-02-25 03:51:58 UTC
No new questions today whats up community?

@EveManny

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#75 - 2014-02-25 04:15:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Il Feytid
Manfred Sideous wrote:
No new questions today whats up community?

Well this one was originally aimed at Mynnna due to him being more indy type, but I would like to hear a reply from all CSM delegates:
Marlona Sky wrote:
mynnna wrote:
Marlona Sky wrote:
How do you feel about the teleportation mechanics?
I feel that they're only part of a bigger picture and so while many, perhaps even all, likely need to be reigned in to one degree or another, considering them in isolation from that bigger picture is folly. I can probably elaborate a bit when I'm not on my lunch break, if you like.

I agree. They are all intertwined. Makes answering only a specific part difficult. How about something a bit different.

EVE is very much about building sand castles and knocking them over. The sandbox. While knocking them down is amazing, the satisfaction is limited to how impressive the sand castles can be. So can you talk a bit how you envision what can be added and improved on to allow players to make amazing sand castles in EVE?
Angry Mustache
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#76 - 2014-02-25 07:13:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Angry Mustache
Would you rather fight 1 dbrb sized laz or 10 laz sized dbrb?

Serious question.

What do you think should be the proper "sp limit" and barriers on players entering nullsec. There's multiple facets to this - How useful should new players be in fleets? How much sp should they have before they become combat effective? Should they be able to support themselves without the charity of their corp/alliance mates?

On a related note, it's apparent that sov null pilots need a lot of alts to function properly. Is this a problem? And does this "alt requirement" pose too much of a problem to players looking into sov-null.

An official Member of the Goonswarm Federation Complaints Department.

Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#77 - 2014-02-25 15:39:41 UTC
Thanks for responding to my earlier question, and I like your take on risk / reward (even though I personally feel that sov null can be pretty riskless the majority of the time).

Regarding "carrots" - do you think people don't live in sov null because there aren't enough incentives, or is it because it's too easy to "own" sov null and live / work in empire? Compare it to wormholes, for example. There's an entire swath of people who live and base out of wormholes - with all the logistical hassle and lack of convenience that implies - even though the rewards aren't significantly better than nullsec on a per-player basis. In spite of lacking stations, jump clones, jump freighters, etc - they still choose to live and work there.

The point being - if the rewards aren't significantly higher per player than in nullsec, why are wormholes occupied and sov null barren?

Is it truly a lack of "carrots" or is it that there's no reason to live there when they can access it at will?

We Gallente have a saying: "CCP created the Gallente Militia to train the Fighters..."

Major JSilva
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#78 - 2014-02-25 21:35:35 UTC
+1 giving my vote to manny :P

Twitter: @Silva117

BraveLttl Toaster
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#79 - 2014-02-26 00:04:06 UTC  |  Edited by: BraveLttl Toaster
Manny is a good man
Tore Vest