These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Faction Warfare farming has to end - we want war instead of the Cloak & Stabs -game

First post First post
Author
RAW23
#221 - 2013-12-10 19:52:44 UTC
Andre Vauban wrote:

The best timer rollback idea goes something like this:

1. You start capturing a plex like today.
2. If you leave the plex, timer freezes just like today.
3. If a militia member enters a plex that has been run by the opposition militia, then the plex starts running back to neutral at an increased rate. Once it reaches neutral, it runs as it does today.
4. If the timer is running down to neutral and the last militia left the plex, the timer continue to run to neutral at normal time.
5. If the opposition militia enters a plex that is auto-running to neutral, it stops auto-running and runs as it does today.

The devil is in the details. An increased speed rollback could range from a trivial benefit for the defenders up to an overwhelming one, depending on the rate. I have some sympathy with the idea of a very limited increased rollback in order to provide a small boost to the defenders as a counter to the effects of overwhelming enemy numbers. However, the tendency would still be for the defenders to maximise the value of their time by only rolling back timers to the start point and not actually capping the plexes themselves, which I think is a cop out.

I still think the idea of independent faction timers is preferable, so you get a first past the post system where each side is incentivised to actually cap the plex but where the defenders won't have the added burden of having to first recover the time 'scored' by the attackers. This would similarly provide a small boost to the defenders but without encouraging them to just do the easy bit and then abandon the plex and rollback others in series without capping anything.

There are two types of EVE player:

those who believe there are two types of EVE player and those who do not.

Burtakus
Lone W0lf Society
#222 - 2013-12-10 19:55:21 UTC
Gogela wrote:
You know, one of the things players have been pining for since I started playing was more varied environments. Don't tell me it's hard to do... it's not. CCP could put in an area of effect environment into FW complexes that count towards control filled with gas clouds (preventing cloak) and write a script (it could be attached to your ship invisibly when you acceleration gate in using the same mechanic limited engagements and suspect timers use) which adds a "spool up" timer to your warp drive, giving you some delay added to entering warp. The tec already exists on TQ to do this, and if I've read this thread right it should pretty much solve the problem, yes? All CCP has to do is decide to do anything.

Just a suggestion.

Sort of off topic but that concept of limited engagement timers in plexes would be a awesome idea. Right now you have to lose sec status to defend a plex against neutrals who come looking for a fight. Sort of unfair that you have to lose sec status to defend your FW plex.
Dessau
The Scope
#223 - 2013-12-10 20:01:39 UTC
Jack Morrison wrote:
Mate, most FW pilots are farming alts...

While I agree with Roime's sentiment, this pilot is correct. The farcical 'faction warfare' was over before it began, and cannot even function as a vehicle for immersive roleplaying.

The risk-free-LP-loot-faucet mechanic is not so much the problem as the failure of CCP to manage expectations. A simple change in the name of the program would have averted the confusion about 'faction warfare'.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#224 - 2013-12-10 20:03:04 UTC
I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them. As always I let some edge cases stay.
Please people, keep it on topic and above all civil!

The rules:
3. Ranting is prohibited.

A rant is a post that is often filled with angry and counterproductive comments. A free exchange of ideas is essential to building a strong sense of community and is helpful in development of the game and community. Rants are disruptive, and incite flaming and trolling. Please post your thoughts in a concise and clear manner while avoiding going off on rambling tangents.

4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#225 - 2013-12-10 20:03:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Xuixien
EDITED for ISD

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Thanatos Marathon
Moira.
#226 - 2013-12-10 20:03:32 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
Thanatos Marathon wrote:
Rewards are already split when multiple people are in the plex.

Timer already rolls back when you chase someone out.

No, they don't, that is exactly what we are asking for.
Xuixien
#227 - 2013-12-10 20:05:14 UTC
Thanatos Marathon wrote:
Xuixien wrote:
Thanatos Marathon wrote:

Yes they do.

It's called defensive plexing.

If you're not willing to do it why should you get the rewards for it?

Roll

Thanatos Marathon
Moira.
#228 - 2013-12-10 20:06:00 UTC
RAW23 wrote:
Andre Vauban wrote:

The best timer rollback idea goes something like this:

1. You start capturing a plex like today.
2. If you leave the plex, timer freezes just like today.
3. If a militia member enters a plex that has been run by the opposition militia, then the plex starts running back to neutral at an increased rate. Once it reaches neutral, it runs as it does today.
4. If the timer is running down to neutral and the last militia left the plex, the timer continue to run to neutral at normal time.
5. If the opposition militia enters a plex that is auto-running to neutral, it stops auto-running and runs as it does today.

The devil is in the details. An increased speed rollback could range from a trivial benefit for the defenders up to an overwhelming one, depending on the rate. I have some sympathy with the idea of a very limited increased rollback in order to provide a small boost to the defenders as a counter to the effects of overwhelming enemy numbers. However, the tendency would still be for the defenders to maximise the value of their time by only rolling back timers to the start point and not actually capping the plexes themselves, which I think is a cop out.

I still think the idea of independent faction timers is preferable, so you get a first past the post system where each side is incentivised to actually cap the plex but where the defenders won't have the added burden of having to first recover the time 'scored' by the attackers. This would similarly provide a small boost to the defenders but without encouraging them to just do the easy bit and then abandon the plex and rollback others in series without capping anything.

Can you be counted in the camp then that believes some change should be made? Everyone counts! (And you are correct that the devil is in the details, but step one is getting CCP to acknowledge that change is needed).
Thanatos Marathon
Moira.
#229 - 2013-12-10 20:15:42 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
Thanatos Marathon wrote:
Xuixien wrote:
Thanatos Marathon wrote:

Yes they do.

It's called defensive plexing.

If you're not willing to do it why should you get the rewards for it?

Roll

You said chasing people out caused the timers to roll back, it does not. Sitting in the plex however does.

Timer Rollbacks would not remove the need for defensive plexing, however it would slightly reduce the impact that plex farming alts have on the Warzone.

Do you think the current system where Warzone control is largely based around farming alts should stay?

P.S. Please implement Timer Rollbacks
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#230 - 2013-12-10 20:18:38 UTC
Burtakus wrote:
Gogela wrote:
You know, one of the things players have been pining for since I started playing was more varied environments. Don't tell me it's hard to do... it's not. CCP could put in an area of effect environment into FW complexes that count towards control filled with gas clouds (preventing cloak) and write a script (it could be attached to your ship invisibly when you acceleration gate in using the same mechanic limited engagements and suspect timers use) which adds a "spool up" timer to your warp drive, giving you some delay added to entering warp. The tec already exists on TQ to do this, and if I've read this thread right it should pretty much solve the problem, yes? All CCP has to do is decide to do anything.

Just a suggestion.

Sort of off topic but that concept of limited engagement timers in plexes would be a awesome idea. Right now you have to lose sec status to defend a plex against neutrals who come looking for a fight. Sort of unfair that you have to lose sec status to defend your FW plex.

Well, yah! But what I was angling for is that the mechanic the limited engagement timers uses is capable of being used in a lot of other ways. You FW people could define specifically what the rules of engagement are, and it could be based on any event. Activating an acceleration gate could be an event that activates a set of any rules for a ship. The hard part about making that happen was solved with the new aggro mechanics. There are a lot of possibilities. imho you only have two hurdles:

1) Decide what you want done.

2) Convince CCP to do anything at all.

That's it. The development problems are smaller than you might think, I believe. Everything I've read here seems like a simple fix, with the possible exception of the ultimate point of FW.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Xuixien
#231 - 2013-12-10 20:20:08 UTC
Thanatos Marathon wrote:

You said chasing people out caused the timers to roll back, it does not. Sitting in the plex however does.

So what you're saying is a rollback mechanic already exists?

Thanks. Big smile

Thanatos Marathon
Moira.
#232 - 2013-12-10 20:23:05 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
Thanatos Marathon wrote:

So what you're saying is a rollback mechanic already exists?

Thanks. Big smile

Yup, all we want is a better one.
RAW23
#233 - 2013-12-10 20:24:29 UTC  |  Edited by: RAW23
Thanatos Marathon wrote:

Can you be counted in the camp then that believes some change should be made? Everyone counts! (And you are correct that the devil is in the details, but step one is getting CCP to acknowledge that change is needed).

I wouldn't go that far Blink

I'm unconvinced as yet that there is, in practice, a real problem and I am certainly unconvinced by most of the arguments provided in the first part of this thread. I don't think stabs or cloaks are a problem and I don't have any sympathy at all for the guys who are whining about how terrible it is that they should be expected to actually cap plexes when all they want is free and easy PvP.

However, I do think that there is, in principle, a potential problem such that sheer numerical superiority on one side could imbalance the FW system and that it may be the case that the whole system could use a slight tweak in order to give the defenders more of a chance if they are being swamped. But I'm still not sure that any of the proposed solutions, including my own, are either really viable or necessary. The problem is that the potential issue, as I see it, is to do with numbers but any tweak will affect the system even when there is no significant numerical imbalance. Giving a defensive advantage could, then, just lead to greater chances of stagnation in normal circumstances, which wouldn't be a desirable outcome.

However (2), if I were convinced that some change were necessary I would be inclined to support either a very limited boost to timer rollback speed or, for preference, a first past the post system with independent timers. The suggestions of things like a 10x rollback speed, instant rollback, restrictions on stabs, and generally most of what has been suggested in this thread strike me as nuts and way out of proportion to any problem that might exist.

Sorry I can't give you a firmer answer but you can put me in the qualified maybe column.

Thanatos Marathon
Moira.
#234 - 2013-12-10 20:32:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Thanatos Marathon
RAW23 wrote:
Thanatos Marathon wrote:

I wouldn't go that far Blink

I'm unconvinced as yet that there is, in practice, a real problem and I am certainly unconvinced by most of the arguments provided in the first part of this thread. I don't think stabs or cloaks are a problem and I don't have any sympathy at all for the guys who are whining about how terrible it is that they should be expected to actually cap plexes when all they want is free and easy PvP.

However, I do think that there is, in principle, a potential problem such that sheer numerical superiority on one side could imbalance the FW system and that it may be the case that the whole system could use a slight tweak in order to give the defenders more of a chance if they are being swamped. But I'm still not sure that any of the proposed solutions, including my own, are either really viable or necessary. The problem is that the potential issue, as I see it, is to do with numbers but any tweak will affect the system even when there is no significant numerical imbalance. Giving a defensive advantage could, then, just lead to greater chances of stagnation in normal circumstances, which wouldn't be a desirable outcome.

However (2), if I were convinced that some change were necessary I would be inclined to support either a very limited boost to timer rollback speed or, for preference, a first past the post system with independent timers. The suggestions of things like a 10x rollback speed, instant rollback, restrictions on stabs, and generally most of what has been suggested in this thread strike me as nuts and way out of proportion to any problem that might exist.

Sorry I can't give you a firmer answer but you can put me in the qualified maybe column.

I'm not against Stabs or Cloaks, though they personally drive me nuts.

On the other hand with the current mechanics I generally don't even fit anything on my alts ship and I gladly go afk while he plexes.
Castnicke Rinah
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#235 - 2013-12-10 22:40:19 UTC
CCP please read this thread.
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#236 - 2013-12-10 23:07:17 UTC
SOE mission runners are getting ganked in highsec, but that's ok, that's just emergent game play, all we're seeing in the plexes is neuts participating in emergent game play.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Commander Razama
Fallen Souls Of The Federation
#237 - 2013-12-11 02:01:50 UTC
Contacting the CSM to do something won't bring any change to Faction War. It took YEARS! of complaints to get Faction War what it is today. Been in and out of FW for well over 5 years soon to be 6 I know first hand.

However this does not mean that we do not have a problem. CCP has proven that FW is at the bottom of Eve Care list. Instead they prefer to aid 0.0 peeps and high sec. carebears from meanies that would war dec. them and halt the oh great mining game that is Eve.

The timer Roll back is a great idea.
The cloak not so much.

In order to improve the situation in Faction war and have as little butt hurt as possible CCP would have to just deny any ship entry to a plex that has a warp core stabb fitted onto there ship. Why just the stab and not the cloak? because there is no good argument to support having a warp core stab inside a plex. A cloak can be used in pvp inside a plex for Falcon/ Pilgrim support. Also with the new SOE ships cloaks add a element to FW plexing that can't be so easy removed without MASSIVE QQ from all sides of the fence. Remember the 0.0 carebears made their tears known about how their "Ratting" was affected by AFK cloakys in system. Cloaks are a part of the game in many ways and will remain so.

Warp core stabs add nothing to the safty of farmers that can not be achived by someone with a cloak equiped on their ship. What it eliminates from FW plexing is AFK PLEXING. Thanks to not so long ago changes you can no longer run down a timer while using the cloak and uncloak trick. Also you can not keep FW plexs from spawning using this trick as well. Now if someone trys to afk plex with and alt farmer they will have to be active with that plexing alt looking for danger (not just waiting for the warning sounds so they can tab back in and warp out.) and give people a chance to destroy the farmer. Without any warp core stabs the farmer can now be pointed by normal means (not duel scram fits that believe it or not still sometimes fail to hold them in pvp.)

Removing Warp core stabs alone from plexes will still alow people to farm that are activly farming but at the same time limit the ammount of ISK farm and LP items on the market. This will not only improve the gameplay for all players in Faction War to generate more pvp but help those actually engaged in Faction war to earn more money to keep on doing what we all love. Pew Pew.
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#238 - 2013-12-11 04:52:35 UTC
how about when a plex is activated it creates a warp disruption bubble that inhibits warping away.

think of it like a 0.0 bubble around the object you are trying to capture.

that way if someone jumps in you have to burn out for a while to retreat giving the other guy the chance to tackle you.

also since the bubble acts as a
+1 to warp scramble strength all you would need is a keres with a long point or two to kill those pesky incursii

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

RAW23
#239 - 2013-12-11 05:27:46 UTC
Commander Razama wrote:

Warp core stabs add nothing to the safty of farmers that can not be achived by someone with a cloak equiped on their ship. What it eliminates from FW plexing is AFK PLEXING.

These two sentences directly contradict each other.

Quote:

Thanks to not so long ago changes you can no longer run down a timer while using the cloak and uncloak trick. Also you can not keep FW plexs from spawning using this trick as well. Now if someone trys to afk plex with and alt farmer they will have to be active with that plexing alt looking for danger (not just waiting for the warning sounds so they can tab back in and warp out.) and give people a chance to destroy the farmer. Without any warp core stabs the farmer can now be pointed by normal means (not duel scram fits that believe it or not still sometimes fail to hold them in pvp.)

Removing Warp core stabs alone from plexes will still alow people to farm that are activly farming but at the same time limit the ammount of ISK farm and LP items on the market. This will not only improve the gameplay for all players in Faction War to generate more pvp but help those actually engaged in Faction war to earn more money to keep on doing what we all love. Pew Pew.

You are saying that there is really no problem here because you can fit your ship in such a way as to kill these guys but you just don't want to. The failure here is on your behalf with your insistence that you be allowed to fly 'normal' fits and not have to adapt to the fit your opponent chooses. CCP have absolutely no motivation to make this kind of change because it flies in the face of the entire design ethos of the game. You already have the tools you need; they are not going to change the game just because you would rather not use those tools.

Terranid Meester
Tactical Assault and Recon Unit
#240 - 2013-12-11 06:23:38 UTC
While I share some of the op's concerns regarding manticores and day old executioners spinning around, it might be considered that the reason there are lazy farmers is that the people who are supposed to be defending the systems are themselves too lazy to defend them.

The recent change in that you have to get in decloaking range to activate a gate is a plus for those trying to defend against such people. Smartbombs can kill bombers and the fact that an interceptor is faster than a bomber means you can beat them to the punch when it comes to getting in front of them. You could also have some patience and wait in their missions for them to appear. Maybe even use a stealth bomber of your own with its 0 retargeting time after decloaking. Time = isk after all.

Maybe even track to where their home base is and use some insta-lock thrashers to scare them.