These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Do CCP ban IP address for botting or just individual accounts?

First post First post
Author
l0rd carlos
This Game Is Terrible
Warlords of the Deep
#21 - 2013-11-29 09:05:12 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Bannin IP is nonsense. the majority of the internet population in world does not have a fixed IP.

That would be an extremely dumb movement.

No, he ask if they ban every account that is logged in from the same IP at that time. And not if they Blacklist a single IP forever.

AFAIK they try to ban every account. Not sure though. Also if you don't RMT you get a 30 day ban the first time, no?

Youtube Channel about Micro and Small scale PvP with commentary: Fleet Commentary by l0rd carlos

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#22 - 2013-11-29 10:42:58 UTC
Power of Trollface wrote:
Hi.

Out of curiosity, if you get caught botting, is it only the botting account (assuming no RMT) that gets banned?
Or is it all of the accounts that you own/your IP?

Just to clarify, I have never used bots or macros in EVE Online, and I probably never will unless almost everyone does it and it is required to stay competitive (which hopefully never happens).

CCP ban the player.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

WASPY69
Xerum.
#23 - 2013-11-29 11:22:01 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Just to clarify, I have never used bots or macros in EVE Online, and I probably never will unless almost everyone does it and it is required to stay competitive (which hopefully never happens).

Nice disclaimer.
That's not going to stop them checking up on you now.

HAHA

If I was serious about botting I wouldn't have made the thread ^^

And I agree, it would be really terrible for the game if this was the case. I might quit playing too.

Noticed you have no likes. Here, have your very first like! yay!
(not that i actually like anything said in previous posts)

This signature intentionally left blank

Lady Areola Fappington
#24 - 2013-11-29 11:36:43 UTC
I'm likely wrong, but I seem to remember it being mentioned awhile back that CCP build a system ID out of not-easily replaced hardware ID codes, and they issue bans and such using that.

Along with that, every MMOG type game I know bans the person, not the character/account. Be that as it may for actual enforcement, but...

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Pew Terror
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2013-11-29 16:46:52 UTC
Hi.

Out of curiosity, if you get caught botting, is it only the botting account (assuming no RMT) that gets banned?

LEMMINGALERT!
Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#26 - 2013-11-29 16:50:10 UTC
Out of curiosity
Lol

Witty Image - Stream

Not Liking this post hurts my RL feelings and will be considered harassment

Dangirdas Bachir
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2013-11-29 16:56:32 UTC
Then death for multiboxers as well?

EVE EVE STARGALACTIC CITY B I T C H

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#28 - 2013-11-29 17:17:31 UTC
Hi.

I can tell you only how I'd do it. I don't know how CCP does it.

Some IPs that are proven to present a constant threat should be banned. If a violation is coming from the same IP multiple times, it means either that it's a proxy or a static IP of a bot owner.

You can't simply ban an IP the first time it makes a violation, because many players have dynamic IPs at their home.

My IP, for example, varies frequently and I must almost always type my character name when I log in to the forums. This is because my ISP is the biggest ISP in my country (practically a monopoly) and my IP and GeoLocation varies significantly. Sometimes my GeoLocation shows that I'm in the totally opposite part of the country (NOT a good thing when I have to test some GeoLocation functionality as a web developer Straight).

As for "using macros when almost everyone does it" part: I'd rather leave the game if that happens. What's the point of playing if you have to cheat in order to play?
Singoth
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#29 - 2013-11-29 17:34:22 UTC
They send russian mercenary assassins to your house to hit you with super-advanced mining spoons.

Less yappin', more zappin'!

CCP Stillman
C C P
C C P Alliance
#30 - 2013-11-29 17:39:22 UTC
We ban all accounts owned by the same individual. How we identify that exact is a bit of some complicated science I won't go into. But it in-cooperates a number of factors. IP address is a part of that. But ultimately it's at the discretion of the individual GM to asses the best course of action, and they have this data available to them to make the call.

But we don't ban IP addresses outright per say. And we don't ban individual accounts only, unless the GM thinks its appropriate in the specific case.

Just a random dude in Team Security.

Frostys Virpio
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#31 - 2013-11-29 17:54:24 UTC
I smell a troll...
Noriko Mai
#32 - 2013-11-29 18:05:59 UTC
They send The Spoon Killer.

"Meh.." - Albert Einstein

SpoonRECKLESS
Beach Boys
The Minions.
#33 - 2013-11-29 19:25:53 UTC
CCP Stillman wrote:
We ban all accounts owned by the same individual. How we identify that exact is a bit of some complicated science I won't go into. But it in-cooperates a number of factors. IP address is a part of that. But ultimately it's at the discretion of the individual GM to asses the best course of action, and they have this data available to them to make the call.

But we don't ban IP addresses outright per say. And we don't ban individual accounts only, unless the GM thinks its appropriate in the specific case.

Do you guys sit there all dressed up in wizard outfits and knight armour around a table of computers at a list of found botters, And say "WE CAST YOU OUT BE GONE FROM OUR LANDS FOUL BEAST"!!!

Blue

Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#34 - 2013-11-29 20:18:46 UTC
SpoonRECKLESS wrote:
CCP Stillman wrote:

Do you guys sit there all dressed up in wizard outfits and knight armour around a table of computers at a list of found botters, And say "WE CAST YOU OUT BE GONE FROM OUR LANDS FOUL BEAST"!!!

Nah, just as in "The noob comic" they wear white bedsheets and simply torch the players. (it's a fun series btw)
Gerald Sphinx
Killer Yankee
#35 - 2013-11-30 00:24:34 UTC
Expect all of them to get banned. CCP can trace multiple accounts even without the IP. All they need to do is look at your transaction records.
Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#36 - 2013-11-30 02:11:43 UTC
SpoonRECKLESS wrote:
CCP Stillman wrote:

They didn't, but they will now

Malcanis - Without drone assign, the slowcat doctrine will wither and die.

Gerald Sphinx
Killer Yankee
#37 - 2013-11-30 21:05:43 UTC
SpoonRECKLESS wrote:
CCP Stillman wrote:

They're vikings. They hold up their swords and scream in honor of Thor. The more bots they ban, the more pleased the God of Thunder becomes and the more likely they join him in Valhalla.
Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#38 - 2013-11-30 21:25:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Rroff
Banning anything based on IP these days is pretty stupid unfortunatly due to increasing number of ISPs using stuff like carrier grade NAT and even without that in place my ISP often uses "transparent" proxy systems that in some cases will result in some services seeing dozens of people as being on the same IP. Not to mention stuff like halls of residence and so on. Annoys me a lot when people still base stuff around IPs when banning or blocking accounts or services even though unfortunatly there is often little else to go on.
CCP Falcon
#39 - 2013-11-30 21:38:17 UTC
SpoonRECKLESS wrote:
CCP Stillman wrote:

Confirming I've actually seen them doing this. Lol

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#40 - 2013-11-30 23:13:12 UTC
You can ban them sure you can close there account sure. But a ip adress can be change a mac adress can not. But you plug a new device and the mac adress is change and 1 Phone call to your provider and your ip is change to. So there is no use to ban players for that however you can delay them and thats it.
Previous page123Next page