These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2781 - 2013-11-09 02:38:03 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Bull. You see the new local before you even finish the tunnel, so both sides see local at about the same time.

You are wrong again.

Sure i see it, but I can't act on it. I have to wait for the client.

The resident on the other hand can act on it.

Advantage: resident.

You are quite simply flat out wrong. Wrong on the facts, wrong on your interpretation, wrong on your conclusions.
LOL
No you sir are wrong. You are claiming a residents local is somehow more powerful that yours. It's not in any way shape or form. The fact that you can't act is NOT a local mechanic, it's a gate mechanic. If you don't gate, like the resident didn't, you can act as fast as they can. If they gate to you, they get the time it takes to finish gating.

And there are loads of these. When you warp onto a grid, I can start approaching you before you gain controls. When you undock, I can't do anything to you until you perform an action. That's just the way the game works, and no getting teary eyed and tantruming over how much you hate local will change that. Even if they implement an "effort based" local, the same thing would still happen.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Astroniomix
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#2782 - 2013-11-09 02:47:18 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
LOL
No you sir are wrong. You are claiming a residents local is somehow more powerful that yours.

It is far more useful to the resident. Just knowing someone is in a system doesn't allow me to shoot at them.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2783 - 2013-11-09 03:12:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Astroniomix wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
LOL
No you sir are wrong. You are claiming a residents local is somehow more powerful that yours.
It is far more useful to the resident. Just knowing someone is in a system doesn't allow me to shoot at them.
But it does tell you they are there, exactly the same as the resident. My point being that it works the same for everyone. If a PvP player is in a system, and a PVE player jumps in, the roles are reversed but it's exactly the same.

The tears in this thread are that a miner/PVE player will run away when an enemy shows up. Replacing local with some effort based system will not change that. PVE players won't suddenly start engaging people, they'll still bounce as soon as there's a hint of a player in local. It will simply mean that those living in non sov held space, like NPC null or low, or smaller alliances will not be able to benefit from local. Because of course what null needs is more advantage for the largest alliances.

It's pretty amusing, though pretty tiring, that this thread is supposed to be about AFK cloaking and yet every time anyone tries to discuss that, Nikk and Teckos start crying about how they want to ruin null and score easy kills.

Astroniomix
Caldari State
#2784 - 2013-11-09 03:25:09 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Astroniomix wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
LOL
But it does tell you they are there, exactly the same as the resident. My point being that it works the same for everyone. If a PvP player is in a system, and a PVE player jumps in, the roles are reversed but it's exactly the same.

But in that case the PVP player might have a chance to act.

Keep in mind this entire discussion started because PVE players were butthurt about cloaked ships sitting in their system.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2785 - 2013-11-09 10:36:23 UTC
Astroniomix wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Astroniomix wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
LOL

Keep in mind this entire discussion started because PVE players were butthurt about cloaked ships sitting in their system.

Yes, in that case the PvP player can act before the PVE player. The exact reverse of the other situation.

It's got nothing to do with butthurt. AFK cloakers put null systems out of action at no cost to the cloaker, with no risk, and with zero effort. I don't think people should be able to do that while AFK. If you want to actively cloak in a system and put it out of use, that's fine, but it does not add to the game to allow AFK players to do it 24/7.

Astroniomix
Caldari State
#2786 - 2013-11-09 16:25:47 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

It's got nothing to do with butthurt. AFK cloakers put null systems out of action at no cost to the cloaker, with no risk, and with zero effort. I don't think people should be able to do that while AFK. If you want to actively cloak in a system and put it out of use, that's fine, but it does not add to the game to allow AFK players to do it 24/7.

Learn to play the game then, stop cowering in fear of a guy that can't even control his ship.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2787 - 2013-11-09 23:57:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Astroniomix wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Learn to play the game then, stop cowering in fear of a guy that can't even control his ship.
Sigh...
This has been covered numerous times. I hate that people keep jumping in here, and raising things that they easily could have read about sever hundred times over in this very thread.
The issue is you can't see who's AFK and who's not. So treating anyone as AFK is a moronic idea. The whole "AFK people can't hurt anyone" has been discussed over and over, and it's one of the stupidest arguments going. The easiest way to see it, is:
If I was going on fire a gun at your chair where you sat, but you didn't know if it was loaded or not, and you had full control over staying in that chair or getting up, would you remain seated and risk getting shot in the head?
It's that same thing. It's simply not logical to remain in system with a cloaker when there are so many other systems to play in.

AFK cloaking exists to deny content for no reason, the AFK player gains no gameplay from it as they aren't there. It's counter productive to a game to deny content. I can;t understand why anybody supports that. Worse still, most people that support it whine to no end about other AFK activities like AFK miners, which takes considerably more actual play time.

Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2788 - 2013-11-10 06:28:10 UTC
Astroniomix wrote:

No, the pvp player will not have a chance to act. Because if the pve player does not have the chance to see the pvp player as they enter system, the pve player will not expose himself to the risk. At least, not until he can implement defenses which insure that he can either win the engagement against an unknown number of pvp ships (not likely) or escape reliably. PVP players do the same thing, except that they are more prepared to win a fight or to escape in encounters with other players.

In short the pvp player has no chance to act against pve because he will have no pve targets available. Those few foolish pve players who expose themselves will eventually run out of ISK and ships. The rest remain docked until they can secure dead-end systems with effective enough scans, bubble up the gates, and watch the gates diligently; ensuring that the pvp player has NO chance to act.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2789 - 2013-11-10 19:26:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Bull. You see the new local before you even finish the tunnel, so both sides see local at about the same time.

You are wrong again.

You are quite simply flat out wrong. Wrong on the facts, wrong on your interpretation, wrong on your conclusions.
LOL
No you sir are wrong. You are claiming a residents local is somehow more powerful that yours. It's not in any way shape or form. The fact that you can't act is NOT a local mechanic, it's a gate mechanic. If you don't gate, like the resident didn't, you can act as fast as they can. If they gate to you, they get the time it takes to finish gating.

And there are loads of these. When you warp onto a grid, I can start approaching you before you gain controls. When you undock, I can't do anything to you until you perform an action. That's just the way the game works, and no getting teary eyed and tantruming over how much you hate local will change that. Even if they implement an "effort based" local, the same thing would still happen.

Whatever it still conveys a distinct advantage on the person already in system. You know it and are just obfuscating.

And with undocking there is an invul timer so not at all equivalent. As for warping in again you can't do anything like target, etc. the pilot until the warp bubble collapses. Can you move, yeah but that is pretty damn trivial. Now if the pilot could not do anything for a full second after the warp bubble collapses that would be more comparable.

Really grasping at straws here.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#2790 - 2013-11-10 19:45:23 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

You are wrong again.

LOL

Whatever it still conveys a distinct advantage on the person already in system. You know it and are just obfuscating.

And with undocking there is an invul timer so not at all equivalent. As for warping in again you can't do anything like target, etc. the pilot until the warp bubble collapses. Can you move, yeah but that is pretty damn trivial. Now if the pilot could not do anything for a full second after the warp bubble collapses that would be more comparable.

I'm not grasping at anything. Sure, there's an advantage for someone in a system, prepped to react to someone coming in. Of course there is. But that is not created by local. That is created by the fact that the person in the system has a static environment to observe, wile the arriving player has a change into an unknown environment. If they changed it to to a POS module or a scanner, it would be EXACTLY the same, since the person already in the system is still looking out for new arrivals. The people punished would be those who are unable to put an intel chain in place, and the people with the most to gain would be those with the covops cloak, making them far more useful than their non-covops counterparts.
Just because you want to close your eyes and ignore that, demanding that all PVE players must have a standing army to be able to shoot red crossers or zap rocks, doesn't mean I'm grasping at anything. It means you haven't really considered the problem and instead have simply leapt to a rubbish conclusion.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2791 - 2013-11-10 19:59:20 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

Yes, in that case the PvP player can act before the PVE player. The exact reverse of the other situation.

It is not the exact reverse. If you see somebody in system who is not blue either when you log in or when the neutral/hostile enters system you have considerable advantage since you'll have time on your side.

Somebody jumping into a system looking for a target then time is not a luxury.

And AFK cloakers have costs, just not substantial ones.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2792 - 2013-11-10 20:03:10 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Astroniomix wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

Sigh...
This has been covered numerous times. I hate that people keep jumping in here, and raising things that they easily could have read about sever hundred times over in this very thread.
The issue is you can't see who's AFK and who's not. So treating anyone as AFK is a moronic idea. The whole "AFK people can't hurt anyone" has been discussed over and over, and it's one of the stupidest arguments going. The easiest way to see it, is:
If I was going on fire a gun at your chair where you sat, but you didn't know if it was loaded or not, and you had full control over staying in that chair or getting up, would you remain seated and risk getting shot in the head?
It's that same thing. It's simply not logical to remain in system with a cloaker when there are so many other systems to play in.

AFK cloaking exists to deny content for no reason, the AFK player gains no gameplay from it as they aren't there. It's counter productive to a game to deny content. I can;t understand why anybody supports that. Worse still, most people that support it whine to no end about other AFK activities like AFK miners, which takes considerably more actual play time.

Like how you keep saying no cost when we have covered that before. Or how the current mechanics with local give the resident an advantage. Now you are going back over those topics and ignoring what has been discussed before. And now flailing away with trying to claim a system resident doesn't have a clear advantage.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2793 - 2013-11-10 20:06:43 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

You are wrong again.

LOL

I'm not grasping at anything. Sure, there's an advantage for someone in a system, prepped to react to someone coming in. Of course there is. But that is not created by local. That is created by the fact that the person in the system has a static environment to observe, wile the arriving player has a change into an unknown environment. If they changed it to to a POS module or a scanner, it would be EXACTLY the same, since the person already in the system is still looking out for new arrivals. The people punished would be those who are unable to put an intel chain in place, and the people with the most to gain would be those with the covops cloak, making them far more useful than their non-covops counterparts.
Just because you want to close your eyes and ignore that, demanding that all PVE players must have a standing army to be able to shoot red crossers or zap rocks, doesn't mean I'm grasping at anything. It means you haven't really considered the problem and instead have simply leapt to a rubbish conclusion.

Well if it isn't local giving the advantage then changing local should not be a problem because it conveys no advantage.

Kinda messed there didn't you?

Womyn Power
Broski Bad End
#2794 - 2013-11-10 20:13:02 UTC
omg nerf op claoking plz cp give it a fuel cost or somthing i cant even rat
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2795 - 2013-11-10 20:20:18 UTC
Womyn Power wrote:

Fuel would nerf active cloaking too. That you cannot handlean AFK cloaker is your problem, not the problem of everyone who uses cloaking devices.

Vas Eldryn
#2796 - 2013-11-11 02:30:49 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Womyn Power wrote:

Fuel would nerf active cloaking too. That you cannot handlean AFK cloaker is your problem, not the problem of everyone who uses cloaking devices.

Well while I don't really agree with womyn, but right back at you, if you cant handle local thats your problem, not the problem of everyone who uses local.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#2797 - 2013-11-11 04:06:15 UTC
Vas Eldryn wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Womyn Power wrote:

Well while I don't really agree with womyn, but right back at you, if you cant handle local thats your problem, not the problem of everyone who uses local.

Cloaking does not convey a one sided advantage now does it?

Gothikia
#2798 - 2013-11-11 06:39:35 UTC
There's nothing wrong with cloaking. You idiots are just too butthurt because you got caught off guard by cloakies at one point or can't ~continue normal operations~ of afk mining with your dicks hanging out.

Stop whining about a mechanic when it's your own attitude to it that is at fault.

<3 Gothie

Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2799 - 2013-11-11 06:52:41 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

Neither does local. Your issue is with loading grid and with session changes, not with local. You mind dropping the "local" distraction and focusing on the issue of afk cloakies with cynos; because I think most of us could care less about a single "afk" cloaky without a cyno. And by "afk," I mean, all cloakies with cynos, because it doesn't even make sense to talk about afk unless the client implements an auto-logoff to reveal the "afk" and to separate the "afk" from the non-afk so a sudden return to the keyboard does not render the "afk" intel meaningless.

Let us proceed toward actually making progress on this topic. I think that my two suggestions bring us fairly close to a resolution, assuming that the op is interested in a real solution. 1) Auto-logoff after 30 minutes without keyboard or mouse input. 2) A cloaky ship may not fit both a cyno gen/covert cyno gen, and the disruption/scrambling module at the same time. Now discuss this with an eye to a real solution to this afk cloaky topic.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

Barbaydos
Kraken Exploration and Janitorial Services
The Initiative.
#2800 - 2013-11-11 07:24:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Barbaydos
Andy Landen wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Vas Eldryn wrote:

Neither does local. Your issue is with loading grid and with session changes, not with local. You mind dropping the "local" distraction and focusing on the issue of afk cloakies with cynos; because I think most of us could care less about a single "afk" cloaky without a cyno. And by "afk," I mean, all cloakies with cynos, because it doesn't even make sense to talk about afk unless the client implements an auto-logoff to reveal the "afk" and to separate the "afk" from the non-afk so a sudden return to the keyboard does not render the "afk" intel meaningless.

Let us proceed toward actually making progress on this topic. I think that my two suggestions bring us fairly close to a resolution, assuming that the op is interested in a real solution. 1) Auto-logoff after 30 minutes without keyboard or mouse input. 2) A cloaky ship may not fit both a cyno gen/covert cyno gen, and the disruption/scrambling module at the same time. Now discuss this with an eye to a real solution to this afk cloaky topic.

my issue with 2 is that you then limit potential pvp, e.g. i use a cloaky alt to scout and scan when on pvp ops if i manage to get a warp in on a hostile then without the scram/point he can just warp out before i can decloak, light cyno and then wait 5-10 seconds for the rest of the crew to jump in and load grid from the blops or the titan, now granted this situation only applies to small scale pvp or solo ganks, but in doing so you nerf BLOPS dropping or covert ops gangs in general, seeing as they would be primary people to want a point/scram on a ship with a covert ops cloak.

now suggestion no.1 is that for any ship in space with/without a cloak or is it for any client all together so even people afk in stations are auto-logged off?