These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

PVP ships and reasons why they are good or bad

Author
Thaddeus Eggeras
Urkrathos Corp
#41 - 2013-10-24 22:41:48 UTC
Quote:
Chessur I would love to hear it. I have killed HAC's and faction ships in my T1 caracal- so it can kill some of them with ease.

Chessur You are a true liar, I just went through ALL your kills for the last 6 months and you haven't killed any faction cruisers or HAC with a Caracal one on one. You have got a few kills with the Vaga and Cerb, but those aren't a Caracal at all. And gang kills I'm pretty sure don't count. So pretty much everything you have said to this point I will gladly call bullshit and pretty much you are full of ****. You can post whatever kill mail you please, but those can be faked, and I honestly wouldn't believe anything from you anymore. I could keep going but I thought 6 to 7 months back would be good enough.

Caracal is a good ship to work up to for PvP, but if you stop there and plan to just PvP in it and nothing higher you are setting yourself up for failure, just like if you don't move up from frigates. I LOVe frigates for PvP, but I can and do fly many other ships when I PvP. I fly what is called for what I am flying against or what is asked from the aliance.

Now do I believe a HAC or faction ship could be taken in a one on one against a T1, yes it could. The great thing about EVE is 80% is piloting, and 20% are skills. So if you had a newer pilot, or drunk pilot or a number of things in a HAC or faction ship go against a seasoned pilot in a T1, the HAC or faction ship pilot could loose.

Piloting would be how they fit the ship, and how they fly it, if anyone was confused.
Thaddeus Eggeras
Urkrathos Corp
#42 - 2013-10-24 22:51:20 UTC
And I'm sure you are going through this toons kills, I'm sure you see it isn't my main haha. But if you do look at the few kills he has, in a Harpy with a fleet of cruisers and BCs I did get top damage against a Tempest and Drake, I didn't against the Rohk sadly though :^(
Major Killz
inglorious bastards.
#43 - 2013-10-24 22:56:07 UTC
Kahega Amielden wrote:
Quote:
Can you name me one T1 cruiser then that will perform well against faction / HAC's ? I would love to hear it. I have killed HAC's and faction ships in my T1 caracal- so it can kill some of them with ease.

One time I killed a BC/BS duo with myself and a corpmate in Rifters. I have never replicated this with other frigates. Therefore, the Rifter is the best frigate for killing above-class ships.

ROFL BOOSH!!! Rifters are p sexy though. CCP REALLY did a good job with that ship model.

[u]Ich bin ein Pirat ![/u]

Chessur
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#44 - 2013-10-24 23:35:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Chessur
Thaddeus Eggeras wrote:
Quote:
Chessur I would love to hear it. I have killed HAC's and faction ships in my T1 caracal- so it can kill some of them with ease.

Chessur You are a true liar, I just went through ALL your kills for the last 6 months and you haven't killed any faction cruisers or HAC with a Caracal one on one. You have got a few kills with the Vaga and Cerb, but those aren't a Caracal at all. And gang kills I'm pretty sure don't count. So pretty much everything you have said to this point I will gladly call bullshit and pretty much you are full of ****. You can post whatever kill mail you please, but those can be faked, and I honestly wouldn't believe anything from you anymore. I could keep going but I thought 6 to 7 months back would be good enough.

Caracal is a good ship to work up to for PvP, but if you stop there and plan to just PvP in it and nothing higher you are setting yourself up for failure, just like if you don't move up from frigates. I LOVe frigates for PvP, but I can and do fly many other ships when I PvP. I fly what is called for what I am flying against or what is asked from the aliance.

Now do I believe a HAC or faction ship could be taken in a one on one against a T1, yes it could. The great thing about EVE is 80% is piloting, and 20% are skills. So if you had a newer pilot, or drunk pilot or a number of things in a HAC or faction ship go against a seasoned pilot in a T1, the HAC or faction ship pilot could loose.

Piloting would be how they fit the ship, and how they fly it, if anyone was confused.

ZING!

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=16455311

IF

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=16455260

ONLY

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=16454787

YOU

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=15769868

HAD

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=15767860

THIS

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=15897002

MUCH

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=15842056

SWAG

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=15957007
Goldensaver
Maraque Enterprises
Just let it happen
#45 - 2013-10-25 00:07:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Goldensaver

Now, I agree that the Caracal is pretty much the best, but just wondering if you have any HAC/Faction Cruiser kills from after they were rebalanced/buffed? The NAugoror in there has T1 guns *and* is pre-rebalance, the Deimos is from when it was (most definitely) a Diemost, the Phantasm... lolphantasm. The Navy Caracal kill is from when the only difference between it and the normal Caracal was the Navy Caracal was worse in every way but for having one more launcher (less fitting, less HP, less everything else).

I'm sorry, it's just that those hardly apply to the current state of affairs.

Regardless though, Caracal is great, and Cerb is just awesome. Fly those. You can engage the world!

Edit: the three SFI's are legit though, those were mostly untouched in their rebalance. Some small tweaks, a small shift of EHP, and a bit more mass.
Platypus King
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#46 - 2013-10-25 00:13:33 UTC
Chessuer - 1
Thread - 0

Good game
Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#47 - 2013-10-25 00:14:38 UTC
Platypus King wrote:
I'll help you make good ship list k?

1. Caracal
2. Caracal

Sometimes bellicose but that's only when you're out of caracals

So only caracals?

"The homogenization of EVE began when Gallente and Caldari started sharing a weapon system."---Vermaak Doe-- "Ohh squabbles ohh I love my dust trolls like watching an episode of Maury with less " Is he my Dad " but more of " My Neighbor took a dump on my lawn " good episode! pops more corn" ---Evernub--

Major Killz
inglorious bastards.
#48 - 2013-10-25 00:39:29 UTC
Goldensaver wrote:

Now, I agree that the Caracal is pretty much the best, but just wondering if you have any HAC/Faction Cruiser kills from after they were rebalanced/buffed? The NAugoror in there has T1 guns *and* is pre-rebalance, the Deimos is from when it was (most definitely) a Diemost, the Phantasm... lolphantasm. The Navy Caracal kill is from when the only difference between it and the normal Caracal was the Navy Caracal was worse in every way but for having one more launcher (less fitting, less HP, less everything else).

Regardless though, Caracal is great, and Cerb is just awesome. Fly those. You can engage the world!

Edit: the three SFI's are legit though, those were mostly untouched in their rebalance. Some small tweaks, a small shift of EHP, and a bit more mass.

I wonder why you believe he's correct in his opinion about the Caracal? Also, why aren't you interested in knowing if there was a Titan, Loki and or Tengu providing bonuses in whatever system he was camping?

Seems to me you're a pretty **** poor investigative reporter. Given your opinions on the pre-BOOST-Deimos and Phantasm you may be poor in other areas too. Have you flown those ships? I wonder how anyone can come to certain determinations on most things if they haven't even had first hand experience with said whatever.

[u]Ich bin ein Pirat ![/u]

Thaddeus Eggeras
Urkrathos Corp
#49 - 2013-10-25 01:00:03 UTC
And no he doesn't. He has only kills from when T1 cruisers got buffed, after hacks did he went to HACs mostly to fly. And yea he prob was buffed too by someone haha
Hormone1971
Caldari 1
Caldari Alliance
#50 - 2013-10-25 02:40:48 UTC
Thanks for the feedback folks even though it seems to have become hijacked with some interesting discussions.

Perhaps we can get back on topic?

Here are the list of ships again to help extrapolate on.

Amarr Frigs
Caldari Frigs
Gallente Frigs
Minmatar Frigs

Amarr Desi
Caldari Desi
Gallente Desi
Minmatar Desi

Amarr Cruiser
Caldari Cruiser
Gallente Cruiser
Minmatar Cruiser
Valleria Darkmoon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#51 - 2013-10-25 08:42:34 UTC
Chessur wrote:
@ Taoist Dragon Would love to see a frig try and kill my Caracal / Cerb. I slaughter them in droves, and so should any properly fit cruiser that i mentioned. Frigs are bad solo / small gang PvP platforms, unless you like fighting just a few frigs, don't fly them.

@ Gorn Arming: There is no way that a destroyer can kill a competent PvP fit battle ship, battle cruiser, or cruiser. If you mean- can I kill retards with them, well yes. Even pilgrim pilots get kills.

You also mention that I Only speak from a Nano / Kiting point of view- and yes this is true. The reason why, is simply because not flying this way means that you will end up being unable to fight in many PvP situations presented to you. It will also gimp your ability to get kills in 'outnumbered' situations. Not choosing to fly nano, is really a poor playstle and shows a severe lack in EvE PvP understanding. Glancing through your kill boards, I notice that most of your kills are simply 1v1 Isolated kills. Very rarely if ever have I seen any evidence of you trying to engage targets that have numerical superiority / fight gangs. Camping gates in a cloaky sabre does not count as PvP. So please, stop trying to speak about subjects that you have very little practical experience in.

A RML Caracal will shred frigates for sure, that's what it does. That is different from saying a frig can not beat a Caracal however.

I in fact have FRAPS of myself (Incursus) and a Malediction fighting against a Scythe and 3 Caracals, but we checked them in advance and saw they were HAM fits so as it turned out my dual rep Incrusus was overkill as I tanked them all easily on one rep without bonuses I might add while holding the scythe long enough to kill it. We only ended up killing one of the other Caracals because we only have so many points and they bailed when they found out that they weren't going to break my incursus and couldn't deal damage to the malediction.

Your assessment is way too simplistic. A RML Caracal will beat most frigs and destoryers but not every single Caracal in existence will be RML fit and not every ship out there is a Caracal, I can also show you tons of footage of frigates fighting up classes and winning. Don't get me wrong there is good reason to fly a RML Caracal but that hardly negates frigates as a ship because there is a cruiser and fit out there that will do well against them.

Reality has an almost infinite capacity to resist oversimplification.

Weird Earb
Raumpatrouille Roamers
#52 - 2013-10-25 10:27:07 UTC
OMG, really guys. It is a "who has the longer jeffreys pipe in his trousers" thread.

The Cruiser Class is designed to take out Frigs. Thats the point.

If you are a good pilot, with a well fitted ship, you can take out everything what has the wrong fit against your ship (example Blaster Moa vs Kiting Interceptor).

A T2 Ship is a lot better than T1 ships, and so there is nothing to compare.

Cruisers will die vs. Battlecruisers, and a Battleship with PvP Fitting will shred away a T1 cruiser with a laugh.

And yes, everything is possible in Numbers, or against people who dont know what they are doing.

So fly save, and give the people nice advice if they ask for.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#53 - 2013-10-25 10:45:50 UTC
Cruiser class isn't designed to take out frigs, thats dessies.

Am i required to follow up that statement with a few links where i kill someone being bad?

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Goldensaver
Maraque Enterprises
Just let it happen
#54 - 2013-10-25 14:12:08 UTC
Major Killz wrote:

I wonder why you believe he's correct in his opinion about the Caracal? Also, why aren't you interested in knowing if there was a Titan, Loki and or Tengu providing bonuses in whatever system he was camping?

Seems to me you're a pretty **** poor investigative reporter. Given your opinions on the pre-BOOST-Deimos and Phantasm you may be poor in other areas too. Have you flown those ships? I wonder how anyone can come to certain determinations on most things if they haven't even had first hand experience with said whatever.

I believe his opinion is correct because I share the opinion. There are many reasons the Caracal is good. It's quick, it's capable of sporting a decent tank, and it is very versatile. Even with a generic RLML fit it is capable of pushing out alright DPS to far beyond long point range with excellent application to all targets, and using those can kite any close range fit Cruiser while absolutely wrecking any frigates that dare come near him. When fit with RLML's, though it may take some time to kill other cruisers, it will kill them and there is nothing they can do about it unless they have more damage projection. Especially because the low fitting requirements of the launchers mean they can fit a very heavy tank given its status as an "attack cruiser".

When fit with HAM's, it's the same situation, except with a little less tank, projection and application. It loses its threat to frigates while still increasing its threat potential to other cruisers. A well flown HAM Caracal has few natural predators. The Caracal is the best solo cruiser merely for the fact that it is fast and versatile, and those two things make your engagement profile immense. You can engage anything you want, and so long as things aren't stacked hugely against you you have a chance to prevail, or in the worst case, escape.

Also, in a 1v1 against a pre-buff Deimos, the Caracal (post buff) would definitely have ruined it. Particularly with the perfectly selectable damage (ROF bonus) on the Caracal meaning it can hit the resist hole. On top of that with the plate on, the Deimos would be going half as fast as the Caracal and has poor projection, certainly less than enough with blasters to scare off a moderately tanked (LSE+Invuln) Caracal before the Caracal picks it apart.

As for the Phantasm, it should have gone more favorably for the Phantasm, but for the fact that Chessur probably had Loki boosts meaning he could outrange the Phantasm's projection (~28km vs 36km webs), and there's no chance the Phantasm could possibly catch a Caracal, what with it being the only Pirate Battlecruiser (in all but name). Now if Chessur didn't have Loki boosts, it's more impressive, because it means he either had to spend all his time with his point overheated, all his time in range of the Phantasm's guns, or he had to apply damage before the Phantasm got in range, possibly playing games with burning away and around, probably dropping point, and there's a certain amount of blame on the Phantasm pilot at that point for not warping when point dropped.

But that's just like... my opinion, man.
Chessur
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#55 - 2013-10-25 14:36:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Chessur
About that phantasm kill...

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=15842056

That is the gang he was flying with.

I killed their initial light tackle, and had dealt with the majority of it- when the phantasm + Recons showd up. Arazu was damping me, so I had to switch to FOF missiles for a short while, making sure to fly close to the razu. Luckily I forced it off- and switched back to regular ammo. At that point, Rapier uncloaked, and I had to either GTFO or dive in for one last kill before exploding in a ball of fire.

I went with the later- and decided to take down a phantasm, I got webbed durring the fight though, and died, but I killed that (along with a sizable protion of that gang.)

Yes I had skirmish links, I needed to put them on once I saw the 3 recons and 1 HAC join the fun + All of that light tackle.
Chessur
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#56 - 2013-10-25 14:43:28 UTC
Goldensaver wrote:

Hate on the Navy AUG kill if you like, but he too had a nice gang flying with him

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=15767860
Igor Nappi
Doomheim
#57 - 2013-10-25 19:06:04 UTC
Linked + Snaked Caracals kill frigs, dessies and cruisers. This is surprising.

Furthermore, I think that links must be removed from the game.

Lunkwill Khashour
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#58 - 2013-10-25 20:37:50 UTC
For the most part the old topic is still relevant. Here are my contributions. The opinions of the non Amarr ships are based on me encountering them, not flying them.

Frigates solo/few
When flying a frigate, there are generally 4 possible ways to play:

1. brawler with afterburner (+ web and scram)
  2. brawler with microwarpdrive (+web/scram)
  3. scramkiter (ab/web/scram)
  4. kiter (mwd/long point)
Generally abbrawl beats mwdbrawl beats kiter beats scramkiter beats abbrawl but this hugely depends on a lot of factors.

Every frigate with 3 or more midslots can be flown in any of these roles. Some tend to be better than others. An attack frigate is generally flown at a larger range than a combat frigate. A tank, tracking bonus or utility high slots tends to favour brawling tactics while a range bonus and a lot of mid slots favour kiting tactics. These things are true up to the point where they aren't and EVE is full of exceptions.

On to the ships:

• Crucifier: MWD + long point + 2 td’s + 3 drone kiter
  • Executioner: fastest Amarr frig, great range control
  • Tormentor: most allround Amarr frig don’t forget its drones
  • Punisher: most limited, has cap issues, no range control due to plate, rigs and 2 mids, not the best for solo play

• Atron: versatile but tends to the kitey side of things
  • Tristan: drones! very versatile but needs a lot of micromanagement compared to other frigates
  • Incursus: defensive, least flexible Gallente frig, easiest to learn however
  • Maulus: surprise 1v1 with drones and 2 sensor damps

• Kestrel: most versatile Caldari frig, can brawl/kite/shield/armor/...
  • Condor: kite it up
  • Merlin: a more generalist Incursus, perhaps the most general of all frigs

• Slasher: fast + mids
  • Rifter: a generalist ship, not as sexy as it used to be but perhaps the most balanced of all frigs

Fleet frigates
While to ability to control the engagement remains important, projection, dependability and force multiplication enter the picture. All logi frigs are great, all ewar frigs are great aswell. Merlin and Punisher make solid fleet ships due to good EHP/dps/projection

Destroyers

• Coercer: very solid projected dps, you can basically never go wrong with bringing this
  • Dragoon: mostly seen as a worse Algos

• Algos: drones! Quite versatile but kinda slowish
  • Catalyst: straight up ganker but you can surprise people with a kiting setup although it isn't great in this role

• Cormorant: straight up sniper/kiter can surprise people with a brawling setup although it isn't great in this role

• Thrasher: most general destroyer, can do anything very good, special mention to arty thrashers
  • Talwar: excellent kiter, really hate this ship

Cruisers

• Omen: very versatile cruiser but primary in RvB fleets
  • Arbitrator: can be excellent solo-er vs all ship classes as long as they use guns. The fits do tend to require juggling of 10+ active modules
  • Maller: boring gank or tank, not versatile
  • Vexor: can do just about anything but with drones
  • Thorax: another primary
  • Caracal: probably the best cruiser and most able to handle various situations
Miks Rebelius
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#59 - 2013-10-25 21:53:49 UTC
Nice post I really liked it especially the first part about the ways to fly the frigates.

P.S. I am not a PvP expert so I found it really helpful.
Brother ThantosXI
Perkone
Caldari State
#60 - 2013-11-01 07:35:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Brother ThantosXI
I am getting into my drone phase of the game, so I will go with a Tristan and Alagos assign drones to the slaved Maller orbit and hold point. You are taking damage, warp to celestial and then back into the fight.