These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#6321 - 2013-10-20 00:44:40 UTC
I have to admit that while Fozzie, Rise and Ytterbium are doing a pretty good job making ships interesting and useful (most of the time) I do lament how they're feeling more and more homogenized.
DSpite Culhach
#6322 - 2013-10-20 01:34:45 UTC
Serge SC wrote:
I was thinking, with all the people suggesting stuff, how about the following?

Added role bonus to each hull, based on race.

PALADIN

Role Bonus: 100% bonus to large energy weapon damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. When Bastion is active, 20% bonus to tracking range of large energy weapons (this bonus could be swapped by 20% bonus to NOS/Neut range).

Amarr Battleship Skill Bonus:
5% bonus to capacitor capacity
7.5% bonus to Large Energy Turret optimal range (instead of 10% bonus to the velocity factor of stasis webifiers per level)

Marauder Skill Bonus:
7.5% bonus to Armor Repair amount per level
5% bonus to large energy turret damage per level

GOLEM

Role Bonus: 100% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. When Bastion is active, 20% bonus to explosion radius.

Caldari Battleship Skill Bonus:
10% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo velocity
5% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo explosion velocity per level

Marauders Skill Bonus:
7.5% bonus to Shield Boost amount
10% bonus to effectiveness of target painters per level

KRONOS

Role Bonus: 100% bonus to large hybrid weapon damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. When Bastion is active, 20% bonus to velocity factor of stasis webifier. (This bonus could be modified to +75mpbs drone bandwidth to allow heavies or sentries when bastioned)

Gallente Battleship Skill Bonus:
5% bonus to large hybrid weapon damage
10% bonus to large Hybrid Turret Falloff per level (instead of 10% bonus to the velocity factor of stasis webifiers per level)

Marauder Skill Bonus:
7.5% bonus to large hybrid weapon tracking per level

VARGUR

Role Bonus: 100% bonus to large projectile weapon damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. When Bastion is active, 15% bonus to large projectile weapon damage.

Minmatar Battleship Skill Bonus:
5% bonus to large projectile turret rate of fire
10% bonus to large projectile turret falloff per level

Marauder Skill Bonus:
7.5% bonus to large projectile turret tracking per level

New bonuses rely on Bastion to active, but only then, and are specific to each race, giving them something that encourages the use of Bastion and a unique role bonus to the ship when engaging it. New bonuses are in BOLD. Percentages could be tweaked to adjust the balance properly, either upping or lowering said values. However, they'll add damage about their pirate hulls, this is immediately countered by the immobility that Bastion forces (and the already nerfed mobility). Flexibility will be these ships name, as they Bastion up and tank, while shredding the enemy, but once mobile the ship goes back to normal, keeping the balance between T1, T2 and faction hulls.

Having these bonuses will encourage the use of Bastion and the trade-off of being static in place, and they'll go off whenever the ship goes back to mobile. This will allow the ship to have a small edge in damage projection while sitting still, but lose it, for the sake of being balanced, while moving, giving us the option to go static but more applied damage, or mobile and lesser application of damage. Seems like a fair trade to me.

EDIT: As it is right now, Marauders are all falling into a same bland category, with little differentiation between them. Adding this, would make ships get the most out of each races, while playing as each of the races, better roleplay options.

Would that not allow some hulls to pummel long range, then when things get close also allow to continue at short? I switch Gards/Wardens like that on a Rattler, which is ok for NPC, and as far as players, well, they can kill the Sentries, but guns?

Wouldn't that make you invulnerable to small things? I thought the point of lots of frigs killing a BS was the "getting under the guns" idea, and now we would have long AND short control, allowing killing of say, tackle frigs so we can GTFO.

I'm not PVP savvy, I'm actually really asking.

I apparently have no idea what I'm doing.

FlinchingNinja Kishunuba
Crunchy Crunchy
#6323 - 2013-10-20 01:42:14 UTC
Still don't get why, with the warp changes they don't increase warp acceleration to same as cruiser/battlecruiser? Increases value for pve and pvp and differentiates against t1 and pirate.

Seems obvious.
Serge SC
The Valhalla Project
#6324 - 2013-10-20 02:06:33 UTC
DSpite Culhach wrote:
Serge SC wrote:
I was thinking, with all the people suggesting stuff, how about the following?

Added role bonus to each hull, based on race.

PALADIN

Role Bonus: 100% bonus to large energy weapon damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. When Bastion is active, 20% bonus to tracking range of large energy weapons (this bonus could be swapped by 20% bonus to NOS/Neut range).

Amarr Battleship Skill Bonus:
5% bonus to capacitor capacity
7.5% bonus to Large Energy Turret optimal range (instead of 10% bonus to the velocity factor of stasis webifiers per level)

Marauder Skill Bonus:
5% bonus to large energy turret damage per level

GOLEM

Role Bonus: 100% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. When Bastion is active, 20% bonus to explosion radius.

Caldari Battleship Skill Bonus:
10% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo velocity
5% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo explosion velocity per level

Marauders Skill Bonus:
10% bonus to effectiveness of target painters per level

KRONOS

Role Bonus: 100% bonus to large hybrid weapon damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. When Bastion is active, 20% bonus to velocity factor of stasis webifier. (This bonus could be modified to +75mpbs drone bandwidth to allow heavies or sentries when bastioned)

Gallente Battleship Skill Bonus:
5% bonus to large hybrid weapon damage
10% bonus to large Hybrid Turret Falloff per level (instead of 10% bonus to the velocity factor of stasis webifiers per level)

Marauder Skill Bonus:
7.5% bonus to large hybrid weapon tracking per level

VARGUR

Role Bonus: 100% bonus to large projectile weapon damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. When Bastion is active, 15% bonus to large projectile weapon damage.

Minmatar Battleship Skill Bonus:
5% bonus to large projectile turret rate of fire
10% bonus to large projectile turret falloff per level

Marauder Skill Bonus:
7.5% bonus to large projectile turret tracking per level

New bonuses rely on Bastion to active, but only then, and are specific to each race, giving them something that encourages the use of Bastion and a unique role bonus to the ship when engaging it. New bonuses are in BOLD. Percentages could be tweaked to adjust the balance properly, either upping or lowering said values. However, they'll add damage about their pirate hulls, this is immediately countered by the immobility that Bastion forces (and the already nerfed mobility). Flexibility will be these ships name, as they Bastion up and tank, while shredding the enemy, but once mobile the ship goes back to normal, keeping the balance between T1, T2 and faction hulls.

Having these bonuses will encourage the use of Bastion and the trade-off of being static in place, and they'll go off whenever the ship goes back to mobile. This will allow the ship to have a small edge in damage projection while sitting still, but lose it, for the sake of being balanced, while moving, giving us the option to go static but more applied damage, or mobile and lesser application of damage. Seems like a fair trade to me.

EDIT: As it is right now, Marauders are all falling into a same bland category, with little differentiation between them. Adding this, would make ships get the most out of each races, while playing as each of the races, better roleplay options.

Would that not allow some hulls to pummel long range, then when things get close also allow to continue at short? I switch Gards/Wardens like that on a Rattler, which is ok for NPC, and as far as players, well, they can kill the Sentries, but guns?

Wouldn't that make you invulnerable to small things? I thought the point of lots of frigs killing a BS was the "getting under the guns" idea, and now we would have long AND short control, allowing killing of say, tackle frigs so we can GTFO.

I'm not PVP savvy, I'm actually really asking.

I haven't done numbers about the balance of said extras. However, as the third iteration, they're ok, but play around the same, MJD+Bastion and each racial advantage/disadvantage is pretty much homogenized. Having a dedicated, racial-based, small bonus would greatly increased the versatility of marauders playing to each races particular way of playing.

About each bonus, they can be pretty slight, like a 10-20% bonus to not make them too powerful on all instances, but actually to give them a slight edge, or advantage of actually using Bastion in combat situations (particularly for PVP). I was thinking again, and they could be ewar bonuses (NOS/Neut for Amarr, move the TP bonus from the Golem and give it the explosion radius bonus to the hull itself, webs for Gallente and raw damage for Minmatar (speed and agility I would've said, but we're immobile, so that'd be pointless, unless you allow bastioned Vargurs to actually move, at a greatly reduced speed, as a racial bonus).

Serge SC Le Frenchman Friendly FC

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#6325 - 2013-10-20 02:45:57 UTC
FlinchingNinja Kishunuba wrote:
Still don't get why, with the warp changes they don't increase warp acceleration to same as cruiser/battlecruiser? Increases value for pve and pvp and differentiates against t1 and pirate. Seems obvious.

What's obvious is that anything larger than a T1 cruiser is dead in PvP.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6326 - 2013-10-20 05:00:17 UTC
I still don't get all the crying about webs...

These ships have to countered somehow.
If they have stasis web bonuses, them they can't be countered.
They would have uber tank, long range, MJD, AND close range.

At that point the only thing that would be able to hurt them would be a dread...
Sounds pretty counter intuitive and OP as hell.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#6327 - 2013-10-20 05:24:17 UTC
Joe Risalo wrote:

At that point the only thing that would be able to hurt them would be a dread...

PvE players don't care. They always push for a ship with no weaknesses in every change that impacts them. They never test said ships to any degree and get angry when their great idea gets torn apart by PvP pilots who test changes in every way possible. The problem is that just about every PvE pilot has no experience or need to experiment with fits, they just copy whatever is the top rated hull and fit on battleclinic and follow the PvE guides.

After the disaster that was the barge buffs CCP has learned to ignore these people which is why every teircide after the barges has been a great success.
Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#6328 - 2013-10-20 06:08:56 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
I have to admit that while Fozzie, Rise and Ytterbium are doing a pretty good job making ships interesting and useful (most of the time) I do lament how they're feeling more and more homogenized.

Though you have made your bias evident, I will ask the question with the predictable answer.

Why do you think that a pair of PvP addicted people should be in charge of overhauling a PvE ship, one that has been PvE since it was constructed years ago, long before they started working at CCP?
Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#6329 - 2013-10-20 06:09:41 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Joe Risalo wrote:

PvE players don't care. They always push for a ship with no weaknesses in every change that impacts them. They never test said ships to any degree and get angry when their great idea gets torn apart by PvP pilots who test changes in every way possible. The problem is that just about every PvE pilot has no experience or need to experiment with fits, they just copy whatever is the top rated hull and fit on battleclinic and follow the PvE guides.

After the disaster that was the barge buffs CCP has learned to ignore these people which is why every teircide after the barges has been a great success.

You are a liar.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#6330 - 2013-10-20 06:12:29 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:

Though you have made your bias evident, I will ask the question with the predictable answer.

Why do you think that a pair of PvP addicted people should be in charge of overhauling a PvE ship, one that has been PvE since it was constructed years ago, long before they started working at CCP?

Because said pve ships sucked in a lot of pve and that they are no longer pve only ships as CCP do not want a combat ship that is useless at most combat.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#6331 - 2013-10-20 06:21:57 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

You are a liar.

Go back through this very thread. Every single idea from pve players has demanded the removal of all drawbacks, more damage, webs dispite the fact these are long range ships, more tracking, full flights of sentries, more resists just to make omni tankz easier to fit and an utter lack of first hand testing.

Most pve drones are trying to simlly turn these ships into yet another pirate BS. The simple fact is these ship are much better at almost all pve and very vible in several pvp roles. You however want them to be able to do just a single job, incursions. Dispite the fact thatt the pirate BS are better at this job anyway.
Nefra Ravenheart
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6332 - 2013-10-20 06:34:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Nefra Ravenheart
baltec1 wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

You are a liar.

Go back through this very thread. Every single idea from pve players has demanded the removal of all drawbacks, more damage, webs dispite the fact these are long range ships, more tracking, full flights of sentries, more resists just to make omni tankz easier to fit and an utter lack of first hand testing.

Most pve drones are trying to simlly turn these ships into yet another pirate BS. The simple fact is these ship are much better at almost all pve and very vible in several pvp roles. You however want them to be able to do just a single job, incursions. Dispite the fact thatt the pirate BS are better at this job anyway.

I just think that a ship that takes that's tech 2 and takes far longer to train for should be at least equal to the pirate battleships for PVE (which so far has been the only reason to train for a marauder).
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#6333 - 2013-10-20 06:42:42 UTC
Nefra Ravenheart wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

You are a liar.

I just think that a ship that takes that's tech 2 and takes far longer to train for should be at least equal to the pirate battleships for PVE (which so far has been the only reason to train for a marauder).

Thats called powercreep. Give these ships a massive tank, pirate BS firepower, good resists, ewar immunity, better range and we find that no other ship is worth flying. If you want better firepower then fly the pirate BS, thats their thing.
Nefra Ravenheart
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6334 - 2013-10-20 06:48:41 UTC
There are ways to balance out the marauders and pirate battleships without power creep. For example, give the nightmare 7.5%/level damage and remove the tracking bonus, then give the paladin the apocalypse bonuses and keep the 5% damage bonus. The nightmare becomes the go-to for melt-your-face laser DPS while the paladin has better damage projection on smaller targets.
Iome Ambraelle
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#6335 - 2013-10-20 06:59:25 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

You are a liar.

I would consider myself primarily a pve player. However, I think if you go back through my suggestions you'll see that your blanket statement doesn't apply to everyone. I'm perfectly fine with drawbacks. I'm perfectly fine with Marauders as a class to be specialized within a role.

I do advocate a slight damage increase, although still below that of pirate BS counterparts in all play styles other than long range engagements. If the developers wish these hulls to excel within this envelope, there still are some issues with the proposed changes. Some T1/faction/pirate hulls still outperform their Marauder counterparts in this scenario due to drone DPS potential and equal or greater main weapon system DPS. The current state is pretty close, though it could be better.

Shield Tanking - Why armor tanking can't have nice things.

Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#6336 - 2013-10-20 07:06:03 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

The bias is strong with this one.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#6337 - 2013-10-20 07:10:41 UTC
Iome Ambraelle wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

You are a liar.

I would consider myself primarily a pve player. However, I think if you go back through my suggestions you'll see that your blanket statement doesn't apply to everyone. I'm perfectly fine with drawbacks. I'm perfectly fine with Marauders as a class to be specialized within a role.

I do advocate a slight damage increase, although still below that of pirate BS counterparts in all play styles other than long range engagements. If the developers wish these hulls to excel within this envelope, there still are some issues with the proposed changes. Some T1/faction/pirate hulls still outperform their Marauder counterparts in this scenario due to drone DPS potential and equal or greater main weapon system DPS. The current state is pretty close, though it could be better.

The t1 and faction ships also need to be viable. This is why the dps is only slightly higher, maurauders get much better damage application at longer range. So they do have better damage, just not via a blanket buff like what you are asking for.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#6338 - 2013-10-20 07:18:03 UTC
Rowells wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

I aint wrong though. Literally the only people unhappy here are the min/max pve players, mostly incursion runners, demanding either no change or a specialised incursion boat to do the job pirate ships can currently do.
Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#6339 - 2013-10-20 07:18:41 UTC
Rowells wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

It is interesting how the great deceiver has ALMOST managed to turn the conversation to some bizarre claim that T1 ships are supposed to be better than some T2 ship that has a specialized role.

The Marauder's role is PvE.
Period. Full stop.
It was designed from the ground up as that.

To have a coupleof PvP fanatics get their hands on it to turn it into something it was never designed to be is beyond sad.
And then to have the comments from the goon mouthpiece are backing that insane concept would be comical, if they were not so dangerous to the integrity of the ship class, and PvE in general.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#6340 - 2013-10-20 07:29:24 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Rowells wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

It is interesting how the great deceiver has ALMOST managed to turn the conversation to some bizarre claim that T1 ships are supposed to be better than some T2 ship that has a specialized role.

The Marauder's role is PvE.
Period. Full stop.
It was designed from the ground up as that.

To have a coupleof PvP fanatics get their hands on it to turn it into something it was never designed to be is beyond sad.
And then to have the comments from the goon mouthpiece are backing that insane concept would be comical, if they were not so dangerous to the integrity of the ship class, and PvE in general.

They are no longer pve only. CCP have made this very clear, they do not want a combat ship that is bad at most combat. Also t1 and faction ships are indeed intended to be viable in pvp which means that yes, they should be better in some situations than t2. Thats what blanced means.