These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
Reiisha
#6301 - 2013-10-19 20:03:24 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Sorry, no one, and I mean no one, will win contests in incursions using the Bastion module.

So the new Marauders will totally suck on incursions, they suck "lite" on L4s and they completely blow for PvP. Did I miss anything?

Drama queens, mostly.

I say, wait for the actual expansion and let the metagame roll on for a while. If they need a buff theyll get one in the next patch.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Joe Risalo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6302 - 2013-10-19 20:10:24 UTC
Xequecal wrote:
Joe Risalo wrote:

Actually, the easy thing to do is bookmark each room in a mission.
Fly back, turn in the mission, then come out an warp to the wrecks without having to fly through warp gates and the mission site.

Also, since Marauders can clear missions pretty fast, you can clear and bookmark 3 or 4 missions, then come back and salvage them all with the noctis... It's the way I do it... Much faster than a 40 km tractor and unbonused salvager/s

The issue is that T1 salvage has a rather low value. It's debatable whether it's worth it at all to come back with a Noctis and salvage stuff, as opposed to just running another mission in that time. The Marauders can salvage wrecks WHILE they're running the mission. It costs you no DPS or missioning time to fit some tractors and salvagers and use them while you're pew pewing everything else. You won't get all the wrecks, but you will get some extra bonus loot that no other ship would get. IMHO, this bonus loot more than makes up for the small DPS difference between the Marauders and a pirate BS for level fours.

Just about every mission I fly has the same payout, if not more than bounty and reward.
Considering it either takes equal or less time to salvage the missions, I would say its worth it.
Serge SC
The Valhalla Project
#6303 - 2013-10-19 20:20:15 UTC
Joe Risalo wrote:
Xequecal wrote:
Joe Risalo wrote:

Actually, the easy thing to do is bookmark each room in a mission.
Fly back, turn in the mission, then come out an warp to the wrecks without having to fly through warp gates and the mission site.

Also, since Marauders can clear missions pretty fast, you can clear and bookmark 3 or 4 missions, then come back and salvage them all with the noctis... It's the way I do it... Much faster than a 40 km tractor and unbonused salvager/s

The issue is that T1 salvage has a rather low value. It's debatable whether it's worth it at all to come back with a Noctis and salvage stuff, as opposed to just running another mission in that time. The Marauders can salvage wrecks WHILE they're running the mission. It costs you no DPS or missioning time to fit some tractors and salvagers and use them while you're pew pewing everything else. You won't get all the wrecks, but you will get some extra bonus loot that no other ship would get. IMHO, this bonus loot more than makes up for the small DPS difference between the Marauders and a pirate BS for level fours.

Just about every mission I fly has the same payout, if not more than bounty and reward.
Considering it either takes equal or less time to salvage the missions, I would say its worth it.

Perhaps in order to compensate for the lack of damage on the Vargur and Kronos (though I'll take 110% damage from role bonus rather than 100%...even 105% to guns), maybe have ships some looting bonus? Say you get a higher chance than other battleships to salvage modules or more valuable salvage from each successful cycle?

Serge SC Le Frenchman Friendly FC

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#6304 - 2013-10-19 20:34:55 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Sorry, no one, and I mean no one, will win contests in incursions using the Bastion module.

So the new Marauders will totally suck on incursions, they suck "lite" on L4s and they completely blow for PvP. Did I miss anything?

Never said they will suck in L4's. I am not thrilled with them losing the web bonus, which makes it hell to kill frigs before the AI eats your drones. If you are dropped into a mission where the rats are on top of you, good luck with lasers. Blasters, might still be OK.

As for PvP, no one will fly a 1 billion ISK brick, that's only good role is to snipe, while there are lots of options at fraction of the cost. Besides , with the warp nerf, if there were any "roaming BS gangs" left out there, they are done for now.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#6305 - 2013-10-19 20:50:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Reiisha wrote:
I say, wait for the actual expansion and let the metagame roll on for a while. If they need a buff theyll get one in the next patch.

That's at least 4 months off...

Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Never said they will suck in L4's. I am not thrilled with them losing the web bonus, which makes it hell to kill frigs before the AI eats your drones. If you are dropped into a mission where the rats are on top of you, good luck with lasers. Blasters, might still be OK.

As for PvP, no one will fly a 1 billion ISK brick, that's only good role is to snipe, while there are lots of options at fraction of the cost. Besides , with the warp nerf, if there were any "roaming BS gangs" left out there, they are done for now.

That would be me (and I did say "lite" suck). Mainly because anything you can do in a Golem on an L4 you can do in a Raven for 1/8th the price. Yeah, too bad about the warp nerf to the battleships. Although, if they gave Marauders another 4 turrets/launchers they'd actually be able to fend off lighter ships. Battleships might need some serious work after this.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Saul Alastar
We Make Mistake
#6306 - 2013-10-19 21:07:21 UTC
Reiisha wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:

Drama queens, mostly.

By the gods I hope you are right.
Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris
Republic Military Tax Avoiders
#6307 - 2013-10-19 21:21:44 UTC
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

Why keeping the damage projection in Bastion stacking penalized?

• We want to keep the projection in check. A Paladin with Scorch can already reach insane ranges (to the point where Beams are quite redundant on it), so we are not willing to remove the stacking penalty for now. Or at least not until we are seeing some hard use numbers on TQ first.

• Have you ever thought that it is a problem of Scorch and not hull? Why penalize all other turret weapon platforms because of one unbalanced ammo type?

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

Iome Ambraelle
    Center for Advanced Studies
    Gallente Federation
    #6308 - 2013-10-19 21:32:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Iome Ambraelle
    Arthur Aihaken wrote:
    Here's an idea: Give each Marauder two (2) additional launchers -or- two (2) additional turrets (not both), just to give Marauders a bit of anti-frigate/cruiser capability. Since they'd be light or medium weapons, they won't receive any of the hull bonuses, with any DPS increase being a bare minimum. As far as that goes, if we're talking light weapons here - why not give them four (4) additional launchers or turrets.

If need be, increase the grid and CPU cost of Bastion to prevent abuse (I haven't played around with the Marauder fits, so maybe it's extremely tight for grid and CPU already; I don't think you could run any additional large turrets or launchers even with an ancillary rig - possibly a pair of mediums or a quad stack of lights, but that's probably it). In theory I guess you could possibly get away with a fifth large launcher or turret, but I imagine you'd sacrifice your rigs, a low slot and a lot of tank for the extra DPS. That's not necessarily a bad trade-off, and it does make Marauder configurations a bit more of a wildcard (you'd probably have to drop the MJD to pull it off).

It would make these a bit more interesting for PvP (and with the ability to fend off small ships, I can actually see Marauders venturing out of high-sec). Marauders are supposed to be the end-all/be-all of battleships: Tank, glass cannon or anti-ship - a few interesting possibilities with unique roles. Thoughts?

This is similar to an idea I've put out there a few times and works towards really defining a true role for the Marauder class. Instead of saying they are a sniper by giving a slight boost to projection (stacking penalized at that), actually making them play a role within the sniper play style.

Modifications

• +1 turret hard point (Paladin, Kronos, Vargur)
    • +1 launcher hard point (Golem)
    • Role Bonus: 75%(-25%) weapon damage
    • Bastion module occupies a weapon hard point

This equates out to a 9.375% DPS increase over TQ Marauders if all 5 hard points are occupied by weapons. The effective turret counts would look like this:

• Paladin TQ: 10
    • Paladin New: 10.9
    • Nightmare: 10 (I know, I don't like this either. More later)
    • Golem TQ: 8
    • Golem New: 8.75
    • Kronos TQ: 10
    • Kronos New: 10.9
    • Vindicator: 11
    • Vargur TQ: 10.67
    • Vargur new:11.67
    • Machariel: 11.67

All pirate hulls will be doing greater or equal DPS than their Marauder counterpart with just guns alone except the NM. If taking drone DPS into account all pirate hulls will still out DPS the Marauders. In the case of the NM, it will still be doing more DPS with short range weapons due to greatly increased tracking over the Paladin.

The real fun begins when considering the effect on the Bastion module's power threshold since you would have to give up 20% of your max DPS (-12.5% compared to TQ Marauders) to fit it because it would occupy one of your weapon hard points. The module can be improved over the current iteration because you are giving up something valuable: DPS. Here's an example of what I'd like to see:

Bastion Module

• 33% scan resolution while active
    • 40% max targeting range while active
    • 100% increase to optimal and falloff range of remote sensor boosters
    • +75mb drone bandwidth (deployed drones over bandwidth are abandoned when cycle ends)

These items would be in addition to the current Bastion module bonuses and drawbacks. A Bastion fit Marauder would excel at the sniper play style and gain the role of targeting support for the gang or fleet. The additional damage projection through optimal/falloff or missile velocity in conjunction with the increase in drone bandwidth would easily make up for the DPS loss of the 5th turret while the targeting bonuses would allow the Marauder and his group to quickly react to a changing battlefield.

Overall there isn't much movement in total DPS over the current iteration. However, the Maruader would have a well defined role in any sort of group engagement. Brawling Marauders would enjoy the added raw DPS potential while the Bastion module would not make up for the loss of DPS from 1 less turret/launcher in a close range encounter.

As it stands now, the current iteration loses a little too much DPS through reduced drone bandwidth. The damage projection bonuses don't make up for that loss completely.

Shield Tanking - Why armor tanking can't have nice things.

Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris
    Republic Military Tax Avoiders
    #6309 - 2013-10-19 21:42:54 UTC
    Iome Ambraelle wrote:
    [quote=Arthur Aihaken]
    Modifications

• Vargur TQ: 10
    • Vargur New: 10.9
    • Machariel: 10.9

Vargur TQ: 10.67
    Vargur new:11.67
    Machariel: 11.67

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

Iome Ambraelle
    Gallente Federation
    #6310 - 2013-10-19 21:46:06 UTC
    Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris wrote:
    Iome Ambraelle wrote:
    [quote=Arthur Aihaken]
    Modifications

• Vargur TQ: 10
    • Vargur New: 10.9
    • Machariel: 10.9

Vargur TQ: 10.67
    Vargur new:11.67
    Machariel: 11.67

Oops, forgot those bonuses. Thanks!

Brib Vogt
    Doomheim
    #6311 - 2013-10-19 22:53:54 UTC
    Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris wrote:
    CCP Ytterbium wrote:

Why keeping the damage projection in Bastion stacking penalized?

• We want to keep the projection in check. A Paladin with Scorch can already reach insane ranges (to the point where Beams are quite redundant on it), so we are not willing to remove the stacking penalty for now. Or at least not until we are seeing some hard use numbers on TQ first.

• Have you ever thought that it is a problem of Scorch and not hull? Why penalize all other turret weapon platforms because of one unbalanced ammo type?

You are right. But ccps answer sounds to me like: we talked about it, we like the idea of a "true optimal and fall off bonus" but we have no idea how to implement it. So we use the scorch as an excuse.

And again: the fall-off bonus should always be twice as strong as the optimal bonus!
    Mr Holla
    PsyCorp
    #6312 - 2013-10-19 23:15:13 UTC
    Not a big fan of these changes tbh,... The web bonus will be missed for my null sec Kronos even the 7.5 per bonus would be acceptable,.. And the mjd bonus would just be wasted on the marauders as they are best with close range guns on them,... This goes for my mission (lvl4's) vargur aswell.

Just don't get the big tank sniper concept,... :s

My Idea for Marauders https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3762020&#post3762020

Serge SC
    The Valhalla Project
    #6313 - 2013-10-19 23:21:36 UTC
    Iome Ambraelle wrote:

This is similar to an idea I've put out there a few times and works towards really defining a true role for the Marauder class. Instead of saying they are a sniper by giving a slight boost to projection (stacking penalized at that), actually making them play a role within the sniper play style.

Modifications

• +1 turret hard point (Paladin, Kronos, Vargur)
    • +1 launcher hard point (Golem)
    • Role Bonus: 75%(-25%) weapon damage
    • Bastion module occupies a weapon hard point

This equates out to a 9.375% DPS increase over TQ Marauders if all 5 hard points are occupied by weapons. The effective turret counts would look like this:

• Paladin TQ: 10
    • Paladin New: 10.9
    • Nightmare: 10 (I know, I don't like this either. More later)
    • Golem TQ: 8
    • Golem New: 8.75
    • Kronos TQ: 10
    • Kronos New: 10.9
    • Vindicator: 11
    • Vargur TQ: 10.67
    • Vargur new:11.67
    • Machariel: 11.67

All pirate hulls will be doing greater or equal DPS than their Marauder counterpart with just guns alone except the NM. If taking drone DPS into account all pirate hulls will still out DPS the Marauders. In the case of the NM, it will still be doing more DPS with short range weapons due to greatly increased tracking over the Paladin.

The real fun begins when considering the effect on the Bastion module's power threshold since you would have to give up 20% of your max DPS (-12.5% compared to TQ Marauders) to fit it because it would occupy one of your weapon hard points. The module can be improved over the current iteration because you are giving up something valuable: DPS. Here's an example of what I'd like to see:

Bastion Module

• 33% scan resolution while active
    • 40% max targeting range while active
    • 100% increase to optimal and falloff range of remote sensor boosters
    • +75mb drone bandwidth (deployed drones over bandwidth are abandoned when cycle ends)

These items would be in addition to the current Bastion module bonuses and drawbacks. A Bastion fit Marauder would excel at the sniper play style and gain the role of targeting support for the gang or fleet. The additional damage projection through optimal/falloff or missile velocity in conjunction with the increase in drone bandwidth would easily make up for the DPS loss of the 5th turret while the targeting bonuses would allow the Marauder and his group to quickly react to a changing battlefield.

Overall there isn't much movement in total DPS over the current iteration. However, the Maruader would have a well defined role in any sort of group engagement. Brawling Marauders would enjoy the added raw DPS potential while the Bastion module would not make up for the loss of DPS from 1 less turret/launcher in a close range encounter.

As it stands now, the current iteration loses a little too much DPS through reduced drone bandwidth. The damage projection bonuses don't make up for that loss completely.

I quite like this idea. However Bastion would be giving drone bandwidth, scan res, targeting range, resists...a bit too much.

However, the Marauder would be losing it's Marauder status.

I like the concept, and would work wonderful for a T2 combat ship based on the Maelstrom, Rokh, Hyperion and Abaddon, battleships made solely for damage (like HACs for cruisers), can they be called something like Heavy Combat Battleship?

For Marauders I'll defend the fact that they need to be able to salvage and loot easily. Role Bonus: Wrecks within 10kms of the ship get salvaged automatically? (okay, a bit too far).

What we all agree though is that Marauders lack raw damage, especially for the Minmatar Vargur. I think we matari got the worst lately. Speed and mass nerfs, our guns lack raw DPS, agility was thrown out...at least give us battleships that can alpha stuff via 1400!

Iome Ambraelle
    Gallente Federation
    #6314 - 2013-10-19 23:52:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Iome Ambraelle
    Never mind. Just remembered the Ewar immunity immunity of the target spectrum breaker...

Anize Oramara
    WarpTooZero
    #6315 - 2013-10-19 23:53:56 UTC
    The way I've been using The vargur that's been working great is exactly the opposite of what CCP wants me to do. That's the beauty of the sandbox nature of eve. I do what I want.

I use the amazing agility of the MJD to jump close to the enemy and then bastion up and kill all the things. Rinse and repeat. My damage output increases in some cases over 100% and I smile all the way.

I still need to test out 1400 vargur though.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Brib Vogt
    Doomheim
    #6316 - 2013-10-19 23:57:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Brib Vogt
    Anize Oramara wrote:
    The way I've been using The vargur that's been working great is exactly the opposite of what CCP wants me to do. That's the beauty of the sandbox nature of eve. I do what I want.

I use the amazing agility of the MJD to jump close to the enemy and then bastion up and kill all the things. Rinse and repeat. My damage output increases in some cases over 100% and I smile all the way.

don't do it. boring. because of the four guns you have to shoot all 4 individually.
    Anize Oramara
    WarpTooZero
    #6317 - 2013-10-20 00:08:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Anize Oramara
    Brib Vogt wrote:
    Anize Oramara wrote:

don't do it. boring. because of the four guns you have to shoot all 4 individually.

I used to run a mael with 8 1400 split into 4 groups of 2 each when I just wanted to have some fun blapping stuff.

What some people find boring others find fun. What people find fun I might find boring (MWD/AB towards enemies constantly, eeeeew)

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Iome Ambraelle
    Gallente Federation
    #6318 - 2013-10-20 00:15:27 UTC
    Serge SC wrote:
    Iome Ambraelle wrote:
    snip

I quite like this idea. However Bastion would be giving drone bandwidth, scan res, targeting range, resists...a bit too much.

However, the Marauder would be losing it's Marauder status.

I like the concept, and would work wonderful for a T2 combat ship based on the Maelstrom, Rokh, Hyperion and Abaddon, battleships made solely for damage (like HACs for cruisers), can they be called something like Heavy Combat Battleship?

For Marauders I'll defend the fact that they need to be able to salvage and loot easily. Role Bonus: Wrecks within 10kms of the ship get salvaged automatically? (okay, a bit too far).

What we all agree though is that Marauders lack raw damage, especially for the Minmatar Vargur. I think we matari got the worst lately. Speed and mass nerfs, our guns lack raw DPS, agility was thrown out...at least give us battleships that can alpha stuff via 1400!

I'm not really worried about losing the Marauder aspect of Marauders as the current iteration pretty much already does that. My issue is that as far as long range engagements go the only major benefit Marauders will have over T1/faction/pirate hulls is minor projection, EWar immunity, and increased tank or equal tank with tank modules replaced with other modules. For this benefit, they are giving up all mobility, remote assistance, and a significant reduction in Sentry Drone DPS.

I'm afraid that for most roles there will be a better hull within the T1/faction/pirate categories than the applicable Marauder especially the drone oriented boats as that play style provides pseudo EWar immunity. The local tank potential of a Marauder is fantastic. However, in group play the addition of logistics is an easy match.

My idea isn't really as much about raw damage as it is about better damage when deployed within a role. When fit with close range weapons in all 5 hard points, the pirate alternative would still out damage the Marauder as I think it should be. The big difference would be when a Marauder is acting as a sniper in some role. In that case as long as the engagement remains at long range, the Marauder would out damage (raw or application) its T1/faction/pirate counterparts by enough of a margin to be attractive in that role. As it stands with the loss of drone bandwidth with nothing to compensate for it, it will bring less DPS than at least some (if not the majority) of T1/faction/pirate hulls.

Serge SC
    The Valhalla Project
    #6319 - 2013-10-20 00:18:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Serge SC
    I was thinking, with all the people suggesting stuff, how about the following?

Added role bonus to each hull, based on race.

PALADIN

Role Bonus: 100% bonus to large energy weapon damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. When Bastion is active, 20% bonus to tracking range of large energy weapons (this bonus could be swapped by 20% bonus to NOS/Neut range).

Amarr Battleship Skill Bonus:
    5% bonus to capacitor capacity
    7.5% bonus to Large Energy Turret optimal range (instead of 10% bonus to the velocity factor of stasis webifiers per level)

Marauder Skill Bonus:
    7.5% bonus to Armor Repair amount per level
    5% bonus to large energy turret damage per level

GOLEM

Role Bonus: 100% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. When Bastion is active, 20% bonus to explosion radius.

Caldari Battleship Skill Bonus:
    10% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo velocity
    5% bonus to cruise missile and torpedo explosion velocity per level

Marauders Skill Bonus:
    7.5% bonus to Shield Boost amount
    10% bonus to effectiveness of target painters per level

KRONOS

Role Bonus: 100% bonus to large hybrid weapon damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. When Bastion is active, 20% bonus to velocity factor of stasis webifier. (This bonus could be modified to +75mpbs drone bandwidth to allow heavies or sentries when bastioned)

Gallente Battleship Skill Bonus:
    5% bonus to large hybrid weapon damage
    10% bonus to large Hybrid Turret Falloff per level (instead of 10% bonus to the velocity factor of stasis webifiers per level)

Marauder Skill Bonus:
    7.5% bonus to Armor Repair amount per level
    7.5% bonus to large hybrid weapon tracking per level

VARGUR

Role Bonus: 100% bonus to large projectile weapon damage, 100% bonus to range and velocity of tractor beams, 70% reduction in Micro Jump Drive reactivation delay. When Bastion is active, 15% bonus to large projectile weapon damage.

Minmatar Battleship Skill Bonus:
    5% bonus to large projectile turret rate of fire
    10% bonus to large projectile turret falloff per level

Marauder Skill Bonus:
    7.5% bonus to Shield Boost amount
    7.5% bonus to large projectile turret tracking per level

New bonuses rely on Bastion to active, but only then, and are specific to each race, giving them something that encourages the use of Bastion and a unique role bonus to the ship when engaging it. New bonuses are in BOLD. Percentages could be tweaked to adjust the balance properly, either upping or lowering said values. However, they'll add damage about their pirate hulls, this is immediately countered by the immobility that Bastion forces (and the already nerfed mobility). Flexibility will be these ships name, as they Bastion up and tank, while shredding the enemy, but once mobile the ship goes back to normal, keeping the balance between T1, T2 and faction hulls.

Having these bonuses will encourage the use of Bastion and the trade-off of being static in place, and they'll go off whenever the ship goes back to mobile. This will allow the ship to have a small edge in damage projection while sitting still, but lose it, for the sake of being balanced, while moving, giving us the option to go static but more applied damage, or mobile and lesser application of damage. Seems like a fair trade to me.

EDIT: As it is right now, Marauders are all falling into a same bland category, with little differentiation between them. Adding this, would make ships get the most out of each races, while playing as each of the races, better roleplay options.

Wrayeth
    Inexorable Retribution
    #6320 - 2013-10-20 00:29:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Wrayeth
    I'm actually rather bummed about the loss of the web strength bonus on the Paladin and the increase in its range. Range was never the issue for the Paladin; the same could not be said for the ability to actually hit your target with BS guns.

I'm hoping the range bonus that's currently listed now gets replaced with a tracking bonus. It won't help in allowing you to control range like the web strength bonus did, but at least it's something.