These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#921 - 2013-10-06 18:24:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Argus Sorn
In business ethics you are expected to reject any gifts or contracts that may create even a perception of bias or conflict of interest. In this way it is not unreasonable to expect Somer to turn down gifts.

They (Somer) clearly engage in secretive business practices and encouraged their employees to maintain secrecy. That being said, if Somer is unethical that is their choice as they are an EVE business and no one is required to keep patronizing them.

It is up to individuals to decide they feel it is okay for somer to accept trillions in isk from ccp and if this should affect their patronization of their site.
Molic Blackbird
Orion Faction Industries
Orion Consortium
#922 - 2013-10-06 18:25:49 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:

CCP are not lying, they stated a while ago that the The Ishukone Scorpion was going to be used as a gift to give those people who run 3rd Party Sites.

Where was it stated a while ago? The first time I seen a statement like that from CCP was after this Somer gift was exposed. I doubt it was widely known that CCP intended the Ishukone Scorpion to be frequently used as gifts to third party sites.
Argus Sorn
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#923 - 2013-10-06 18:35:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Argus Sorn
Molic Blackbird wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:

CCP are not lying, they stated a while ago that the The Ishukone Scorpion was going to be used as a gift to give those people who run 3rd Party Sites.

Where was it stated a while ago? The first time I seen a statement like that from CCP was after this Somer gift was exposed. I doubt it was widely known that CCP intended the Ishukone Scorpion to be frequently used as gifts to third party sites.

Question:

If it was meant to be given as recognition, then why would CCP and Somer engage in collusion to keep it secret? Generally you "recognize" an organization publically, no? So we can all applaud them for their selfless sacrifice?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#924 - 2013-10-06 18:39:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Molic Blackbird wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:

It doesn't really matter if it was before or after. They're still lying.

The claim that “[t]he Ishukone Scorpion was created for exactly this sort of purpose—a promo ship for giveaways and special occasions to be used on multiple levels” is pure history revisionism. In reality, IshuScorp was created to offer ship bling for the NeX in the same way as pants and monocles provided bling for the avatars. When it became apparent that the NeX code was too incomplete to actually handle this properly, it was put away.

Only much later, when they figured that they needed some kind of special-issue ship to hand out as a promo reward for people attending expos and conventions, they hauled it out of storage because, hey, what's the easiest way to create a new ship? Why, to not create a new ship at all, of course, but to re-use a ship that had lost its original purpose.
ElQuirko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#925 - 2013-10-06 18:40:03 UTC
Argus Sorn wrote:
Molic Blackbird wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:

Question:

If it was meant to be given as recognition, then why would CCP and Somer engage in collusion to keep it secret? Generally you "recognize" an organization publically, no? So we can all applaud then for their selfless sacrifice?

GREED IS GOOD.

Dodixie > Hek

Money Makin Mitch
Paid in Full
#926 - 2013-10-06 18:41:49 UTC
Argus Sorn wrote:
Molic Blackbird wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:

Question:

If it was meant to be given as recognition, then why would CCP and Somer engage in collusion to keep it secret? Generally you "recognize" an organization publically, no? So we can all applaud them for their selfless sacrifice?

Josef Djugashvilis
#927 - 2013-10-06 18:49:17 UTC
I think that CCP will respond to all this by saying that they will continue to favour those whom they deem to be worthy, but will be transparent in how they do so.

This is not a signature.

Kate stark
#928 - 2013-10-06 18:53:05 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
I think that CCP will respond to all this by saying that they will continue to favour those whom they deem to be worthy, but will be transparent in how they do so.

wasn't that the response last time?

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Xander Phoena
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#929 - 2013-10-06 18:55:11 UTC
My thoughts on Ripard's post on the matter:

http://c-z.me/conflictofinterest

www.crossingzebras.com

Literally Space Moses
Perkone
Caldari State
#930 - 2013-10-06 18:55:38 UTC
If you've read their responses to third-party sites, that's their response this time too.

#T2013

Anomaly One
Doomheim
#931 - 2013-10-06 18:57:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Anomaly One
Quote:
In business ethics you are expected to reject any gifts or contracts that may create even a perception of bias or conflict of interest.

ethics? there are laws for such things, if an employee hands out or receives and accepts any gifts it is considered as a bribe and he is fired, in CCP he is hired P

ah nvm thought you were talking about a single case..

edit: don't want anyone fired just correcting Attention
Josef Djugashvilis
#932 - 2013-10-06 19:06:44 UTC
Kate stark wrote:

Yes, but it seemed to soothe the brows of the fevered masses.

I suspect that CCP will just make the same promises , but may add that they will promise to run any more such give-a ways past the CSM first.

This is not a signature.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#933 - 2013-10-06 19:16:46 UTC
Kate stark wrote:

I suspect that CCP will just make the same promises , but may add that they will promise to run any more such give-a ways past the CSM first.

it works, ccp ~does what it wants~

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Kate stark
#934 - 2013-10-06 19:20:25 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Kate stark wrote:

it works, ccp ~does what it wants~

1) inform CSM
2) continue with give-away regardless of CSM feedback
3) get confused about inevitable fallout and say "but we told the csm, guys?"

Yay, this account hasn't had its signature banned. or its account, if you're reading this.

Bronco Platz
Doomheim
#935 - 2013-10-06 19:20:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Bronco Platz
A short quote from Ripard himself at his blog:

Quote:
Yes, it's been verified by CCP Navigator. Even before that had happened, I could have told you it was true. I knew about two other situations where CCP had gifted community leaders with iScorps.

So he as member of CSM did know of this affair before and didn´t tell about it? Was it under NDA? You know, the three letters he hides behind all the time...

Please tell us about the other incidents. Or are you involved in them, like in SCL getting the ships, too?

This signature is under NDA. Sorry.

adarma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#936 - 2013-10-06 19:32:43 UTC
What is happening here? No DEV has been up and awake since Saturday morning?
Joan Greywind
The Lazy Crabs
#937 - 2013-10-06 19:36:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Joan Greywind
Joan Greywind wrote:
The most important thing is still not answered, how in the world is this not "favoritism".

I think there a very big gap of logic here that CCP navigator is still not addressing. Somer is not a totally independent third party, what they do outside of EVE, affects the game directly.

I don't see the problem in encouraging third party applications that don't directly give their creators in game advantages such as EFT, EVE board, Pyfa, EVEMON etc... But clearly that is not the case here. ANd using the SCL as a counter example also doesn't hold any credence, as the SCL do what they do for 0 in game profits.

Just answer this question, didn't SOMER directly or indirectly gain a lot of in game isk, was it through more traffic or direct profits, from the interference of CCP?

The clear answer here is yes and shouldn't be allowed for any reason or justification whatsoever. I still don't understand how this is still not addressed.

On another note, a quote from your "policies", "We will not authorize or otherwise sanction the use of any third party software. The End User License Agreement and Terms of Service are clear on this subject:"

taken from http://community.eveonline.com/support/policies/third-party-policies/

What are you doing here is not only sactioning but encouraging the use of 3rd party software hereby breaking your own rules. Not very clear is it?

This is really a big clusterfuck.

Can we have CCP Sreegs back now?

From another thread that got closed
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#938 - 2013-10-06 19:36:47 UTC
Argus Sorn wrote:
In business ethics you are expected to reject any gifts or contracts that may create even a perception of bias or conflict of interest. In this way it is not unreasonable to expect Somer to turn down gifts.

They (Somer) clearly engage in secretive business practices and encouraged their employees to maintain secrecy. That being said, if Somer is unethical that is their choice as they are an EVE business and no one is required to keep patronizing them.

It is up to individuals to decide they feel it is okay for somer to accept trillions in isk from ccp and if this should affect their patronization of their site.

Except of course when players ARE required to use somer if they wish to have a chance at content CCP hands solely to somer

and thats a big part of the problem
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#939 - 2013-10-06 19:38:29 UTC
adarma wrote:

I wouldn't expect them to respond on the weekend. But someone at CCP spoke to a blog:

Quote:
An EVE Online spokesman responds that “The Ishukone Scorpion was created for exactly this sort of purpose — a promo ship for giveaways and special occasions to be used on multiple levels. It has been given out several times already (including some very analogous to this one) and will be given out again in the future for contests, awards, charity-related efforts, ‘thanks’ and more.”

Additionally, despite this spacecraft’s unique skin, it is “actually worse gameplay-wise than the regular Scorpion and refines to only one Tritanium — so it is little more than a hangar ornament.” The reason it’s in-game price is so high because of the craft’s current rarity. “Yet as more are introduced I am pretty sure the market price will lower based on total supply, as we see after the first few days any ship has been added to EVE.”

Community concerns over the use of the ship as a thank-you have been “carefully noted,” and the game is “looking into creating a fuller program for those celebrating the amazing EVE community.”

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/10/eve-players-decry-favoritism-as-select-few-get-a-20000-spaceship/

And CCP Manifest spoke to TMC:

Quote:
We did end up giving Ishukone Ships away to SOMER's people as a "thanks" (as per the email) in a similar manner to our previous issuances of the ship. It's always been meant to be a promo item--for awards, rewards, charity-based efforts, promo items and more. The IshScorp was never meant to be limited at all or "capped" at a certain number--hence why it only refines for 1 Trit and is worse gameplay-wise than the normal Scorpion. There will be more given out in the future by the comm team and others (I will likely give out some some via social and through PR) and I am sure the price will go down--kinda like the pirate noobie frigs we gave out at events.

http://themittani.com/news/ccp-secretly-gifted-somer-blink-ishukone-scorpions
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#940 - 2013-10-06 19:39:10 UTC
adarma wrote:

Maybe Somer threw them a party and everyone's still hung over.

All joking aside, who knows, maybe they are taking the weekend off to play the game or do whatever it is they do in their free time. I'm sure we'll hear something by Monday.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.