These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
chaosgrimm
Synth Tech
#4721 - 2013-10-03 13:24:51 UTC
Any change that would otherwise override the way marauders are used currently, any change that reduces current effectiveness, or any change that makes faction / pirate alternative seem better, will irritate ppl.

Don't force bastion + mjd:
* revert all hull nerfs for now
* possibly readdress when faction / pirate are rebalanced

And:
* Address tractor structure vs tractor beams

If the structure essentially easily replaces tractor bonus, change tractor bonus to salvage bonus and maybe even integrate a similar or better structure functionality into bastion mode.

At this point I think most of the pve hate will be gone. Add a PvP use around the above / don't add / delay adding.
Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4722 - 2013-10-03 15:26:45 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Again, even the best webs will only cover antimatter range on blasters and the vindi will do that job a lot better. A ship that cannot move is a very bad ship to give a web bonus to.
CCP are not going to give us a poor copy of the vindi.

The only way I'd see any web bonus useful in these ships is not by giving them a strength bonus but a range per level bonus under max new EAFs without links and making so with links you couldn't go further than 40km.
Not an uber bonus you tell me and I'd agree with you but always better than a worst one so even the slowest of them could win some seconds to either get in range or put another shot or two on targets.

Anyway, still not convinced with any proposal this ship will be worth of its training sills requirements for anything else than high/low sec structure bashing and rats killing, still makes me sad panda.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#4723 - 2013-10-03 15:52:40 UTC
So is there any truth to the rumor of the new Golem ship that looks like a platypus?

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Iome Ambraelle
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#4724 - 2013-10-03 16:47:04 UTC
I wonder what the total increase in mission times will be when you add all of these things together:

• Lower base speed
  • Higher base mass (lower acceleration for AB/MWD)
  • Higher align time
  • Lower warp acceleration/deceleration
  • Lower top warp speed

Did I miss anything here? Depending on the number of jumps away the mission is located and the number of mission gates you have to use this could be a pretty significant increase in total mission time compared to today.

Shield Tanking - Why armor tanking can't have nice things.

Lair Osen
#4725 - 2013-10-03 16:47:40 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
So is there any truth to the rumor of the new Golem ship that looks like a platypus?

I sincerely doubt it.
Kenpo
The Guardians of the Beam
#4726 - 2013-10-03 17:25:19 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

If anything the hull looks more like a tick than anything else. Still a good ship though Blink

Caution, rubber gloves and faceshield required when handling this equipment.

NiteNinja
Doomheim
#4727 - 2013-10-03 17:30:09 UTC
Dang they removed the base T2 hull resists... I was starting to warm up to that idea.

Since this thread has blown into a clusterf*** of epic proportions, I'll just add it again...

If we combine features of Iteration 1 and Iteration 2, we'll have a nice setup.

Give the T2 resist bonuses back to the hull, but don't add that web bonus, I can do without the 7.5% per level tank bonus if I get the 100% tank bonus in Bastion and keep the resists. That way the ship isn't entirely vulnerable when out of Bastion mode like it is now (prop mod + active tank = faster cap depletion with nerfed capacitor recharge). This'll let people choose either a MWD or a MJD setup (because then you can MWD with the higher hull resists to where you want to be and lock it down to get the tank bonus, or MJD, users choice).

Even with 20m/s less for the exampled Golem, a MWD (especially Gist X) will allow it to move at around 800m/s. That with the smaller signature radius and higher resistances will work to take damage while moving into position before locking down and tanking back up.

But I'm just spitballing usage strategies here. Guess we will all find out when people start testing it in Sisi.

Vorseger
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4728 - 2013-10-03 18:06:07 UTC
There is a possibility that CCP will do as they see fit due to a lack of any mass consensus upon any of the changes (what is liked/disliked/what should be tweaked). Getting multiple people to "like" posts, people stating similar suggestions, and/or quoting others comments may give CCP a more sound reason for modifying the proposed changes.

Starting with general ideas and letting CCP decide on specific values/percentages for bonuses/resists/etc might make coming to a general agreement more feasible. Example: Instead of T2 resists; I will be suggesting an increase in resists (meaning at least better than current resists on TQ), and letting CCP decide how much better.

I will try to list these suggestions with respect to the order in which the proposed changes appear in the first post.
I know a little bit about the game. I think these are good suggestions/tweaks to the Marauder changes. I could be wrong, and I am wrong fairly often. Just remember, these are from my current (limited) knowledge of this game.

Starting with one thing in mind: The Bastion Module is being pushed onto Marauders. CCP is determined to have this module go through no matter how good or bad it may be. Most players seem to feel that CCP is trying to make this class use the module to the extent of limiting other play styles with the class. This is the same with CCP pushing for Marauder pilots to use a Micro Jump Drive. These two ideas towards specialization should be attractive options without the detriment to current play-styles. I think the hull changes have a large effect on making some current play-styles less appealing.

What do Marauder pilots think about these points/suggestions:
[/list]
  • Bastion Module benefits and/or detriments stay as listed, let CCP decide/tweak percentages for all bonuses
  • Change the tractor beam Role Bonus (Notics and new deployable structures challenge the use of this); therefore, add a salvaging bonus and have CCP modify tractor beam/salvaging bonus percentages
  • An extra high slot is given, do not add the extra high slot. Add an extra medium or low slot (Bastion Module slot is low slot? I want to know which of the three slots would pilots rather see added)
  • Have an increase in resists, let CCP decide/tweak percentages (benefits class regardless of use of Bastion Module or not)
  • [/list]

If it is not listed above, then iteration #1 stats stay as listed. Only other point would be to give back some of the mobility. I do not understand the reasoning behind such a decrease in mobility when if people use the Bastion Module they are immobile. Just not 100% sure where I stand on that change and how it affects others play-styles.

I will definitely be testing out the changes on the test server as extensively as i can.
    Joe Risalo
    State War Academy
    Caldari State
    #4729 - 2013-10-03 18:27:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Joe Risalo
    Look

1) Leave base hull as it is on TQ

2) Increase sensor strength to that of a weak t1

3) Give MWD cap bonus, AND leave MJD bonus

4) Either buff Tractor range while bastioned, or if the structure will be usable effectively on a Marauder, then exchange for a salvage bonus

5) Base hull gives tracking/exp radius bonus, while bastion reverts tracking/ exp radius for range

6) Bake 10% of the bastion resist bonus into the hull(not as a bonus), and reduce bastion resists to 20%
    (This would probably replace the current hull rep bonus, as we'll probably lose it to balance eventually anyway)

7) Make bastion insantly anchor in place. Anchored objects can't jump, warp, or move.

8) Remove 8th high slot, and instead give of extra mid or low depending on what's best for balance.

9) Increase scan res a bit

10) POSSIBLY allow a covert JJ.

10 is optional, just for spice.

Bascially, if you do this, then you have a base hull that is focused on brawling and tanking.. This is different as pirate bs's are focused on brawling and utility.
    Bastion will still be focused on ewar immunity, range, and OMFG tanking.

While MWD and MJD bonuses together may seem OP, you really have to look at what you give up to be able to fit both.
    Not to mention they're both blocked out by a warp scram.

This gives a fleet focus and a solo focus, but allows pirate bs's to retain the higher dps and utility.

IMO this would be a reallly good way to go on the balance as it suits both PVE and PVP in 2 different ways, one being more niche in pve, and the other being more niche in pvp.
    Aglais
    Ice-Storm
    #4730 - 2013-10-03 18:29:16 UTC
    Arthur Aihaken wrote:

It'd look perfectly fine if they didn't completely bung up the wings like that- it's the wings that make it look absolutely ridiculous. If the wings were the same shape as per usual, it'd be fine.

The hammerhead bridge there looks great IMO, and I think it should turn up on more Caldari ships.

I'd genuinely enjoy flying this ship if they un-kinked the wings, and decided not to make it one of the slowest overall subcapitals ever forced to use MJDs.
    CODE NAME RAVEN
    Doomheim
    #4731 - 2013-10-03 19:10:35 UTC
    NiteNinja wrote:
    Dang they removed the base T2 hull resists... I was starting to warm up to that idea.

Since this thread has blown into a clusterf*** of epic proportions, I'll just add it again...

If we combine features of Iteration 1 and Iteration 2, we'll have a nice setup.

Give the T2 resist bonuses back to the hull, but don't add that web bonus, I can do without the 7.5% per level tank bonus if I get the 100% tank bonus in Bastion and keep the resists. That way the ship isn't entirely vulnerable when out of Bastion mode like it is now (prop mod + active tank = faster cap depletion with nerfed capacitor recharge). This'll let people choose either a MWD or a MJD setup (because then you can MWD with the higher hull resists to where you want to be and lock it down to get the tank bonus, or MJD, users choice).

Even with 20m/s less for the exampled Golem, a MWD (especially Gist X) will allow it to move at around 800m/s. That with the smaller signature radius and higher resistances will work to take damage while moving into position before locking down and tanking back up.

But I'm just spitballing usage strategies here. Guess we will all find out when people start testing it in Sisi.

DAM that was sexy, I agree with you! Cool

Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty, and persistence.

Iome Ambraelle
    Gallente Federation
    #4732 - 2013-10-03 19:17:13 UTC
    I think there are much better ways to encourage the use of MJD and the bastion module on the Marauder hulls without taking a knife to the hull's "sensitive bits".

MJD
    Simply allow the adjustment of jump range through a script, abort, or some other mechanic. This could be as limited as 100km and 50 km. With the cooldown time role bonus I think you'd see a lot more pilots using this propulsion module. It supports the sniper and brawler play style in PVE as NPCs disrupt and not scram. There is no need to make the base hull a-brick-trying-to-slide-down-a-ramp-covered-with-sand-paper-while-submerged-in-molasses-on-a-frozen-tundra kind of slow.

Bastion Module
    This is a much more difficult problem to solve. The crux of which revolves around the current value equation used to balance the module's power. Since it currently only replaces the 4th utility high slot which in and of itself doesn't provide much value, the power level of the module has to be balanced by added significant drawbacks to its use; such as immobility and exclusion of remote assistance.

On paper the overall effect is balanced. However, when applied to EVE world scenarios, the drawbacks severely limit the module's possible usage in dangerous areas such as low or null security space and make it unattractive in engagements that favor remote assistance. As I see it the resistance and local repair bonuses are offset by the remote assistance exclusion while the EWAR immunity is paired with being immobile. The range bonus is a nice trade off for the loss of the 4th utility high slot.

The base hull bonuses as they stand now with Iteration 1 are pretty decent and are at least coherent. If it goes live as-is we'll see Marauders used as they are used today with maybe a few more pilots leveraging the MJD and/or bastion modules. It's not great but at least the current users won't be terribly impacted by the changes (except the drone bandwidth/bay nerfs). I don't see a compelling reason for the number of Marauder pilots to increase with these changes. This saddens me as I have always loved the idea of the Marauder hulls if not some of their implementations.

I'm going to go back and update my Marauder proposal to include all the great feedback that's occurred in the some 100 pages since I posted it. By no means do I expect any of it to be used by the developers, although I do hope it might lead to a greater consensus as to what we as a community want from the Marauder class.

Gargantoi
    Deep Core Mining Inc.
    Caldari State
    #4733 - 2013-10-03 19:18:37 UTC
    Rep bonus back = + 1 ccp ...but i dont understand 1 thing ..why paladin has 40 exp basic resist on armor ? while golem is still 0 on em shield as well as kronos beeing 10 at exp ...maybe a missclick ? anyway ..now what u need to do is give them a lil bit more dmg ..say 10% bonus to theire dmg / rof per level ..or make them all use 5 heavy / sentry drones ...
    Lin Xou
    The Explodables
    #4734 - 2013-10-03 19:25:13 UTC
    Maybe this has been asked or covered already. Can you use MJD while in Bastion mode? If no absolutely pointless bait ship.

EWAR immunity outside bastion mode for X seconds after deactivating is worth training and price tag. (overpowered?)

Pirate BS take a week to train they should be weaker in every way to T2 BS but stronger than T1 with an extra two role bonuses.

Other than that T2 BS is the same so wasted skill points.

I have to be honest if I want a pointless immobile gun platform ill fly a dread its better bait.

If the ship could lock on regular Cnyo and jump 7-9ly like black-ops (solo) and have bastion mode happy days. Tactically good PvP and not so cheap also gives them a distinction over pirate BS.

Iome Ambraelle
    Gallente Federation
    #4735 - 2013-10-03 19:30:35 UTC
    Gargantoi wrote:
    Rep bonus back = + 1 ccp ...but i dont understand 1 thing ..why paladin has 40 exp basic resist on armor ? while golem is still 0 on em shield as well as kronos beeing 10 at exp ...maybe a missclick ? anyway ..now what u need to do is give them a lil bit more dmg ..say 10% bonus to theire dmg / rof per level ..or make them all use 5 heavy / sentry drones ...

The Marauder class has "Pseudo T2 resists". This includes a +10% resist bonus on one of the 4 categories.

Dinsdale Pirannha
    Pirannha Corp
    #4736 - 2013-10-03 19:30:45 UTC
    Iome Ambraelle wrote:
    I wonder what the total increase in mission times will be when you add all of these things together:

• Lower base speed
    • Higher align time
    • Lower top warp speed

Did I miss anything here? Depending on the number of jumps away the mission is located and the number of mission gates you have to use this could be a pretty significant increase in total mission time compared to today.

Gee, CCP nerfing the hell out of PvE, who would have thunk it.
    You are a bit behind the times.
    The devs who have been hired from null sec have been attacking any PvE operations, especially high sec ops, for a long time now.

See in null sec, a player just flits about space using jump bridges.
    Check that, the null cartel players who have the JB passwords flit about, avoiding the bulk of these changes.

Those who live in high sec and low sec, or NPC null sec, well, you are screwed. Sucks to be you.
    Guess you did not get the memo that the only successful and CCP-endorsed way to play this game is in a null sec cartel.
    Tyberius Franklin
    Federal Navy Academy
    Gallente Federation
    #4737 - 2013-10-03 19:37:18 UTC
    Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
    Iome Ambraelle wrote:

• Lower base speed
    • Higher align time
    • Lower top warp speed

Gee, CCP nerfing the hell out of PvE, who would have thunk it.
    You are a bit behind the times.
    The devs who have been hired from null sec have been attacking any PvE operations, especially high sec ops, for a long time now.

See in null sec, a player just flits about space using jump bridges.
    Check that, the null cartel players who have the JB passwords flit about, avoiding the bulk of these changes.

Those who live in high sec and low sec, or NPC null sec, well, you are screwed. Sucks to be you.
    Guess you did not get the memo that the only successful and CCP-endorsed way to play this game is in a null sec cartel.

You do realize that using a JB network doesn't in any way remove the need to warp between locations right?
    Mina Sebiestar
    Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
    #4738 - 2013-10-03 19:43:08 UTC
    Sobaan Tali wrote:
    baltec1 wrote:
    Sobaan Tali wrote:
    Joe Risalo wrote:
    Wry Salen wrote:
    You know, what would be something cool and kind of useful.

In bastion mode

1. Double the gun cycle time
    1. Double the alpha.

There. Suddenly there's a use for them in PVP, you don't really up the DPS at all and it's nifty in PVE.

How does double the cycle time and alpha not up dps????

Am I on crazy pills or something?

I believe what he is referring to make the guns/launchers take twice as long to fire but with twice the volley damage; same dps, but you get crazy alpha. Don't know how much I like it, but I must admit I would be interested to see it.

Nothing but arty boats.

Exactly. Can you say, "20k Alpha Arty Vargur"?

Been there done that.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Vorseger
    Sebiestor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #4739 - 2013-10-03 19:46:43 UTC
    Lin Xou wrote:
    Pirate BS take a week to train they should be weaker in every way to T2 BS but stronger than T1 with an extra two role bonuses.

I feel this way. I never understood why a ship that takes less training time to pilot is better than a ship that takes more training time to pilot.
    Tyberius Franklin
    Federal Navy Academy
    Gallente Federation
    #4740 - 2013-10-03 20:16:36 UTC
    Vorseger wrote:
    Lin Xou wrote:

I feel this way. I never understood why a ship that takes less training time to pilot is better than a ship that takes more training time to pilot.

That pretty much falls against the entire concept of T2 vs faction/DS/officer on which everything else is based. This seems a really odd time to be bringing it up considering that.