These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaking Collection Thread

First post First post
Author
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1221 - 2013-09-16 15:42:20 UTC
Debora Tsung wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
So the language he used wasn't perfect. You understand the concept though, surely.
A threat is a threat, whether it has backing or not. And the risk from suck a threat is equal. It's really not that hard to understand.
I wanted to say something about that, but then I got distracted, I may be getting back to that later...

Okay, to take this outside the game setting to make it a bit easier to see:

Threat 1: Full grown man threatens another full grown man--e.g. I'm going to beat you to a pulp.

Threat 2: 10 year old girl threatens a full grown man--e.g. I'm going to beat you to a pulp.

Are threat 1 and 2 equal? I think not.

Now back to the in game issue:

You are free to treat all AFK cloaked ships as having the same degree of risk, but that is just you.

For example, suppose I log in and see a guy in system and he is cloaked. I suspect he might even be AFK. I query alliance chat/TS/mumble/whatever and get the following: "yeah he's been there all day, but i saw him come in, he's in an imicus."

Now I might revise that threat level down substantially in light of this new information. Now he could be part of a fleet with a titan within bridge range, but I'd be skeptical. He could be part of a BLOPs gang, but I'd be skeptical.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

JIeoH Mocc
brotherhood of desman
#1222 - 2013-09-16 15:42:29 UTC
BTW i can propose a code on that "threat" thingy.
Every cloaky, upon entering local should announce " i am not threat." So there's no dilemma regarding "is there a threat" issue.
This way the miners can come back to work, everybody is happy.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1223 - 2013-09-16 15:44:01 UTC
Oh and I've said over and over, fine, lets leave it as is, both local and cloak. Since we can't agree, leave it as it's been working all along. It really doesn't cause me any issues beside the occasional need to jump to a backup system where I have a second set of ships for my whole fleet.
We'll make sure AFK mining stays in too though, don't want to add too much hard work to the game. I'll carry on ratting and mining, you can carry on hiding and crying that everyone docks up.

All good. Brilliant. Problem resolved.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1224 - 2013-09-16 15:47:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Teckos Pech wrote:
Okay, to take this outside the game setting to make it a bit easier to see:

Threat 1: Full grown man threatens another full grown man--e.g. I'm going to beat you to a pulp.

Threat 2: 10 year old girl threatens a full grown man--e.g. I'm going to beat you to a pulp.

Are threat 1 and 2 equal? I think not.

Now back to the in game issue:

You are free to treat all AFK cloaked ships as having the same degree of risk, but that is just you.

For example, suppose I log in and see a guy in system and he is cloaked. I suspect he might even be AFK. I query alliance chat/TS/mumble/whatever and get the following: "yeah he's been there all day, but i saw him come in, he's in an imicus."

Now I might revise that threat level down substantially in light of this new information. Now he could be part of a fleet with a titan within bridge range, but I'd be skeptical. He could be part of a BLOPs gang, but I'd be skeptical.

But say for example a fully grown man and a little girl have threatened you, but they are behind separate doors, and you don't know which. You have to pick a door. The risk of each door is the same. This is why knowing the situation is different, which is why when you talk about it from the point of view of AFK vs ACTIVE cloaker, and point out AFK players can;t kill people, you are missing the whole reason it's a risk. It's because you DON'T KNOW. Thus you must treat any player as a risk.
This is seriously like trying to talk to a toddler. After about 10 minutes you seem to forget everything previously said and just reiterate the same nonsense.
EDIT: Oh, and yes, if he was in an imicus, I'd probably ignore him. Though 9 times out of 10 nobody know what ship he's in. Again, you're comparing a situation with knowledge to a situation without.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#1225 - 2013-09-16 15:49:18 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
The cloaked pilot, as with any other pilot in the game, experiences risk at the point where they shift from being a potential threat to an actual threat.

A logged out pilot, possibly in a group of similar pilots working together, is also a threat.
They appear after logging in, and unless locked in place by a timer, vanish from the game when logged out.

A docked pilot also represents a potential threat.
A pilot in a POS, similar.

The docked and POS'd pilot, however, can be active in other ways.
While I am sure it will be changed at some point, a POS sitting pilot can boost other pilots for improved combat and PvE performance.
A pilot in an outpost can purchase and fit items, manufacture, resell, etc.
A pilot in a cloaked vessel... not so much. I am sure they can access the market to a limited degree, but that can be done anywhere the market exists.

The question you seem to be avoiding, is why the PvE pilots should not need to deal with risk beyond trivial levels?
Why should their play be elevated to consensual regarding combat?

That's a chosen action though. You have no risk unless you chose to engage in risk. Much like a docked player, or a POS'd player, except a cloaker can't be observed and can move around gaining a tactical advantage.
And I never said PVE players should have no or low risk. You can misquote and misinterpret as much as you want, doesn't make it the case. I simply stated that I think all players should have to be active to be able to even resemble a risk.

Now go ahead and respond telling me that I'm wrong, and how I'm just carebearing for PVE, how cloakers are so hard done by and how your removing local so cloakers have an even bigger advantage is the way to go.

If you insist, I will oblige.

All actions are chosen. Some are reactions to other events. Many could be considered to be mistakes, when viewed in hind sight.

In theory, a PvE pilot who undocks chooses to experience risk. Local simply tells them if the threat has imminent potential.

Any player not visible on grid, cannot be observed. Docked players in Outposts which reject your docking attempts are a very easy way to see this.
Are they cloaked and in space?
Are they at some POS?
Or are they sitting safely in that outpost?

They could be logged off, and hidden from local entirely.
There is your real nightmare. Someone spying behind a blue tag, never exposing themselves as a hostile, but providing intel for the ones you are threatened by.

They just tag your location, have their attack ship log off at that spot, and wait for you to come back and be distracted.

Maybe they'll post a link in alliance or corp for you to pop into a browser, and gawk at.
How silly, a kitten stuck in a bird cage! Wait, was that an explosion?

You need advance warning when hostiles log in, more than anti cloaking changes!
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1226 - 2013-09-16 15:50:53 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
If you insist, I will oblige.

All actions are chosen. Some are reactions to other events. Many could be considered to be mistakes, when viewed in hind sight.

In theory, a PvE pilot who undocks chooses to experience risk. Local simply tells them if the threat has imminent potential.

Any player not visible on grid, cannot be observed. Docked players in Outposts which reject your docking attempts are a very easy way to see this.
Are they cloaked and in space?
Are they at some POS?
Or are they sitting safely in that outpost?

They could be logged off, and hidden from local entirely.
There is your real nightmare. Someone spying behind a blue tag, never exposing themselves as a hostile, but providing intel for the ones you are threatened by.

They just tag your location, have their attack ship log off at that spot, and wait for you to come back and be distracted.

Maybe they'll post a link in alliance or corp for you to pop into a browser, and gawk at.
How silly, a kitten stuck in a bird cage! Wait, was that an explosion?

You need advance warning when hostiles log in, more than anti cloaking changes!

TL;DR
I'm sure it said something about how removing local is the answer though. Still wrong.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1227 - 2013-09-16 15:52:46 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

It's not about "not bothering" to assess (yes, assess, not access), its about not being able to predict the outcome. Much like the Russian roulette example, you have no idea if the chamber is loaded or not, so you have to mitigate risk under the assumption that it will be.

Not entirely true. This is one of those areas where your probabilities in question are more like the frequency concept--i.e. objective. That is:

Prob(bullet in chamber | first pull) = 1/6.
Prob(bullet in chamber | second pull, gun did not discharge on first pull) 1/5
Prob(bullet in chamber | second pull, gun did discharge on first pull) 0

We could keep going till we get:

Prob(bullet in chamber | second pull, gun did not discharge on first 5 pulls) 1
Prob(bullet in chamber | second pull, gun did discharge on first 5 pulls) 0.

Which is why statements that all threats are equal are dubious. It suggests you don't understand conditional probabilities or aren't thinking in terms of them.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Matthias Thullmann
Dynatron Inc.
#1228 - 2013-09-16 15:55:00 UTC
I don't understand the AFK problem, can someone explain it to me?
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#1229 - 2013-09-16 15:57:32 UTC  |  Edited by: TheGunslinger42
Lucas Kell wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
So then the mechanics should change, and players should be limited or removed based on your personal interpretation of what it means when you see a name in the local chat?

Sorry, no.

What about people who for whatever reasons - simply not caring, or due to actually expelling a bit of effort to figure things out - interpret that name in local as not a risk? This happens, you know. In fact, that is the entire point of prolonged cloaking - the strategy exists because you hope someone will interpret you as not being a risk.

CCP shouldn't remove players or strategies simply because you regularly interpret it one way and don't like the way you interpeted it. Such a suggestion is braindestroyingly stupid
so TL;DR is yes, you do want to keep it in so you get easy kills from people you've worn down from leaving your PC logged on?
Thanks coward.

That's not the tl;dr version at all. I think you have severe problems with reading comprehension, my friend :(

My point is as simple as it is stated: You are literally saying that because you interpret something to mean one thing (when it could mean something else as well, and many players do interpret it as meaning something else) then CCP should act as if your assumption holds true in every case and change the mechanics and remove players, risk, etc for you

It is a horribly, horribly dumb statement to make
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1230 - 2013-09-16 15:57:55 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

It's not about "not bothering" to assess (yes, assess, not access), its about not being able to predict the outcome. Much like the Russian roulette example, you have no idea if the chamber is loaded or not, so you have to mitigate risk under the assumption that it will be.

Not entirely true. This is one of those areas where your probabilities in question are more like the frequency concept--i.e. objective. That is:

Prob(bullet in chamber | first pull) = 1/6.
Prob(bullet in chamber | second pull, gun did not discharge on first pull) 1/5
Prob(bullet in chamber | second pull, gun did discharge on first pull) 0

We could keep going till we get:

Prob(bullet in chamber | second pull, gun did not discharge on first 5 pulls) 1
Prob(bullet in chamber | second pull, gun did discharge on first 5 pulls) 0.

Which is why statements that all threats are equal are dubious. It suggests you don't understand conditional probabilities or aren't thinking in terms of them.
Not quite, you generally spin the cylinder between shot on Russian roulette. Otherwise, should 5 empty shots get fired on a 6 shot revolver, the player is likely to shoot the opponent rather than himself, knowing it will fire. I think this is more a misunderstanding of the subject matter on your part.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1231 - 2013-09-16 16:00:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Lucas Kell wrote:

This is the part you fail to read:
Quote:
We do not endorse or condone the use of player-made software or any other third party applications or software that confers an unfair benefit to players.
CCP can chose to ban you for whatever they want, and an automated way of clicking a button in game on a time would definitely be a ban.

Oh...so you get to speak for CCP. I'm detecting a fair whiff of hypocrisy here. Roll

Quote:
Cache scraping they re-clarified on the EULA and have specifically said they will not do anything at the moment as long as it is not being used for other exploits. It's an exception.

I know, and I've already noted this. My point is, it is CCP's game. The contents are theirs too. If they want to ban you because of your height, they could. If they want to ban you because you like a specific color or drive a specific car, they can. And they could decide tomorrow to ban people who cache scrap.

Thank you for agreeing with me.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1232 - 2013-09-16 16:01:12 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
So then the mechanics should change, and players should be limited or removed based on your personal interpretation of what it means when you see a name in the local chat?

Sorry, no.

What about people who for whatever reasons - simply not caring, or due to actually expelling a bit of effort to figure things out - interpret that name in local as not a risk? This happens, you know. In fact, that is the entire point of prolonged cloaking - the strategy exists because you hope someone will interpret you as not being a risk.

CCP shouldn't remove players or strategies simply because you regularly interpret it one way and don't like the way you interpeted it. Such a suggestion is braindestroyingly stupid
so TL;DR is yes, you do want to keep it in so you get easy kills from people you've worn down from leaving your PC logged on?
Thanks coward.

That's not the tl;dr version at all. I think you have severe problems with reading comprehension, my friend :(

My point is as simple as it is: You are literally saying that because you interpret something to mean one thing (when it could mean something else as well, and many players do interpret it as meaning something else) then CCP should act as if your assumption holds true in every case and change the mechanics and remove players, risk, etc for you

It is a horribly, horribly dumb statement to make

Nope, that definitely was it. You have teared up way too many times about it to hide it now. You complain that we want more safety, while you already have far more safety than us and want to not only keep that safety, but extend it with the removal of local, meaning you can appear only at the final moment.
You don;t want to have to work to kill miners. Heaven forbid it should actually become a challenge for you.

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#1233 - 2013-09-16 16:03:11 UTC
As for the russian roulette analogy, this is how I see it:

Person 1 opens up the chamber, sees that there are six chambers and one bullet. He interprets this as the chances being in his favour and plays. That's just how person 1 rolls.

Person 2 opens up the chamber, sees that there are six chambers and one bullet. He interprets this as a high risk and doesn't play.

Both players are entitled to their own interpretations and judgements regarding the risk, they personally make different decisions and I wont fault either of them for their choices

But then Player 2 demands bullets be removed from the game russian roulette because he doesn't like it, and wont shut the hell up

Player 2 is now on my shitlist for being an imbecile
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1234 - 2013-09-16 16:04:02 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

This is the part you fail to read:
Quote:
We do not endorse or condone the use of player-made software or any other third party applications or software that confers an unfair benefit to players.
CCP can chose to ban you for whatever they want, and an automated way of clicking a button in game on a time would definitely be a ban.

Oh...so you get to speak for CCP. I'm detecting a fair whiff of hypocrisy here. Roll
No, I don't speak for them. They do. And they can ban you for whatever they want. There's even a clause somewhere for it (might be ToS, cba to look.

Teckos Pech wrote:
Quote:
Cache scraping they re-clarified on the EULA and have specifically said they will not do anything at the moment as long as it is not being used for other exploits. It's an exception.

I know, and I've already noted this. My point is, it is CCP's game. The contents are theirs too. If they want to ban your because of your height, they could. If they want to ban you because you like a specific color or drive a specific car, they can. And they could decide tomorrow to ban people who cache scrap.

Yes... I do agree with that part.
But what you originally pointed out cache scraping for was to say they might allow you to use an automated method of bypassing a timer because they allow cache scraping. Those are VERY different, and I'd be surprised if you could get it signed off as OK.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1235 - 2013-09-16 16:06:36 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:

Person 1 opens up the chamber, sees that there are six chambers and one bullet. He interprets this as the chances being in his favour and plays. That's just how person 1 rolls.

Person 2 opens up the chamber, sees that there are six chambers and one bullet. He interprets this as a high risk and doesn't play.

Both players are entitled to their own interpretations and judgements regarding the risk, they personally make different decisions and I wont fault either of them for their choices

But then Player 2 demands bullets be removed from the game russian roulette because he doesn't like it, and wont shut the hell up

You are an imbecile. Even if that WERE the case, player 2 wouldn't be removing bullets, they'd be removing empty chambers, since in this analogy, the bullets would be active cloakers and empty chambers would be AFK cloakers.
And it's not about how you chose to act to the risk, it's about how you establish what the risk is. Having AFK cloakers means AFK players are able to help you lower your average threat. A player that isn't actually playing shouldn't be able to have an effect on the game like that.
You aren't very bright are you?

JIeoH Mocc
brotherhood of desman
#1236 - 2013-09-16 16:07:46 UTC  |  Edited by: JIeoH Mocc
Since you chose to ignore the first time, I'll repeat.
Any schoolboy can get an undetectable automatic device to click at whatever preference he sets it. For under 15$ or so.
Still want the timers?
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#1237 - 2013-09-16 16:07:52 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Nope, that definitely was it. You have teared up way too many times about it to hide it now. You complain that we want more safety, while you already have far more safety than us and want to not only keep that safety, but extend it with the removal of local, meaning you can appear only at the final moment.
You don;t want to have to work to kill miners. Heaven forbid it should actually become a challenge for you.

I am sorry about your kindergarten level reading skills. I have repeatedly stated over and over that I do not want easy kills, and want both parties - the locals and the hunters - to have the ability and opportunity to "win" an encounter. My argument throughout all these threads is that nerfing cloaks - but not local - does not maintain equal abilities and opportunities, it skews it one way.

Your statements demonstrate that you want to maintain the ability for the locals to win by noticing the change in local and warping off, but do not want to maintain the ability for hunters to be able to trick or catch locals.

You want something that is imbalanced.

I want balance.

You want removal of uncertainty and risk for one side.

I want uncertainty and risk for everyone.

This is clear to see.
Andy Landen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1238 - 2013-09-16 16:09:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Andy Landen
More like:

Quote:
Revised for accuracy: Threat 2: 10 year old, cloaked girl holding a button which transports hundreds of men and dozens of supermen threatens a full grown man--e.g. I'm going to beat you to a pulp.

Now the analogy more closely follows the AFK cloaky cyno gen situation. And the question becomes, Are you willing to risk a ship which takes 3-10 hours of ratting plus a pod with med clone upgrade and possible implants in order to make a few more million ISK for the next few minutes just to see if there isn't a cyno gen on that cloaked ship with hundreds of hostiles waiting to jump through from a remote, unmonitored system in the region?

Edit: This is the question I have for you. Are you willing to make this risk? The answer that most of Eve gives (rightly so) is to warp to safety and not accept this risk. It is common sense and any other decision is foolishness.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein 

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#1239 - 2013-09-16 16:10:23 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
TheGunslinger42 wrote:

You are an imbecile. Even if that WERE the case, player 2 wouldn't be removing bullets, they'd be removing empty chambers, since in this analogy, the bullets would be active cloakers and empty chambers would be AFK cloakers.
And it's not about how you chose to act to the risk, it's about how you establish what the risk is. Having AFK cloakers means AFK players are able to help you lower your average threat. A player that isn't actually playing shouldn't be able to have an effect on the game like that.
You aren't very bright are you?

Removing the empty chambers is the same as removing the bullet. You have now removed the uncertainty and chances entirely, the outcome is now certain. There is no room for personal interpretations, or the ability for one person to weigh a situation differently to someone else. Now it is identical, it is sure, it is stagnant. It is risk free because there is no possibility what so ever for the outcome to be different to what you expect.

In a word, it's moronic.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1240 - 2013-09-16 16:10:38 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Quote:

I know, and I've already noted this. My point is, it is CCP's game. The contents are theirs too. If they want to ban your because of your height, they could. If they want to ban you because you like a specific color or drive a specific car, they can. And they could decide tomorrow to ban people who cache scrap.

Yes... I do agree with that part.
But what you originally pointed out cache scraping for was to say they might allow you to use an automated method of bypassing a timer because they allow cache scraping. Those are VERY different, and I'd be surprised if you could get it signed off as OK.

And they might if it gains the player using it nothing. Just because you lose something does not mean I gain anything. It is not a zero-sum game. Please, stop assigning certainty to my statements when it is abundantly clear they are probabilistic in nature.