These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
Mole Guy
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3561 - 2013-09-11 19:45:04 UTC
the stationary marauder you guys are refering too would be better served calling it a juggernaught class.
big brutish and tanky.

the marauder needs to be fast and agile. lightly armored (within reason), heavy dps (like they are now with good application) and high mobility (mjd bonus, burner speed bonus).

more like a (and i hate to say this) tier 3 bc.

maybe not as fast though.

again, scan probe bonus, salvage bonus.
descent, balanced resists. maybe not all the way up too t2, but we would have figured out that a balanced approach allow you to fight everyone you encounter and not just racial enemies.
as the galaxy grew, they encountered more ships. a need for a more balanced role.
add up the numbers on t2 resists and then divide by 4. like you guys did with the gnosis.
we can pump it up from there.
the dcII gives a steady ammount, the bastion mode (original version) would kick that up another 30% balanced...
if you need stacking penalties to keep it down to a reasonable level, so be it.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3562 - 2013-09-11 19:47:25 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
I see terms have been agreed on. Just keep in mind however you determine reasonable completion time the ships contributing to those numbers need to generally follow the same guidelines, otherwise the test is highly weighted in favor of those other ships.

There is no way to quantify this factor, but keep in mind that a T1 BS has a much lower likelihood of being suicide ganked as well. Smile

this is true, id say we should let cade weigh in on this one.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3563 - 2013-09-11 19:50:55 UTC
Mole Guy wrote:
the stationary marauder you guys are refering too would be better served calling it a juggernaught class.
big brutish and tanky.

the marauder needs to be fast and agile. lightly armored (within reason), heavy dps (like they are now with good application) and high mobility (mjd bonus, burner speed bonus).

more like a (and i hate to say this) tier 3 bc.

maybe not as fast though.

again, scan probe bonus, salvage bonus.
descent, balanced resists. maybe not all the way up too t2, but we would have figured out that a balanced approach allow you to fight everyone you encounter and not just racial enemies.
as the galaxy grew, they encountered more ships. a need for a more balanced role.
add up the numbers on t2 resists and then divide by 4. like you guys did with the gnosis.
we can pump it up from there.
the dcII gives a steady ammount, the bastion mode (original version) would kick that up another 30% balanced...
if you need stacking penalties to keep it down to a reasonable level, so be it.

thats probably true, but thats not what the devs will do, the art assets have already been seen by the csm so they have allready comitted to some extent.

i like the probe strength.

a lot.
Mole Guy
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3564 - 2013-09-11 20:00:48 UTC
keep the deploy mode. it will work nicely.

its the base stats i am concerned with. we can have a speedy ship for positioning, and once deployed, become a stationary weapons platform. they could even lower the resists down and give us the balanced tank with the local rep bonus back.

itll all mesh beautifully.
Vrykolakasis
Sparrowhawks Corp
#3565 - 2013-09-11 20:17:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Vrykolakasis
I haven't been reading a ton of this and just checked in to see if there had been any devposts concerning the marauders balance, but I'd like to note that on the topic of t1 battleship hulls, I know that all of them can complete any L4 mission without warping out. Guaranteed. If you're in a battleship, you don't have an excuse for warping out of an L4 mission, sorry - most people with appropriate skills can complete most L4 missions in a T2-fit hurricane (even post-hurricane change), albeit slowly. The rest just comes down to what reasonable completion times are. In my experience a really nice relatively pimped-out marauder, faction, or pirate battleship will complete L4 missions, on average around 30%-40% faster than a t2-fit teir 3 battleship. With that in mind, I would expect, including travel time and without salvage in a t1 battleship, most missions to take around 10-20 minutes and a few of the big ones to take longer - 60 minutes or so. This is based primarilyo

The argument of whether or not the additional cost of the more advanced ship is worth the additional risk and completion time comes down to how you play your game.

Edit: I'd also like to weigh in on my opinion with marauders, although in a thread this big I doubt any dev will read it. I think the idea of making marauders more role-oriented independent of PvE vs PvP is great. I don't think the current pass of marauder rebalance ideas really gives them any role, though, it just limits their options. For one thing, I think a web bonus on all of the hulls is about as pointless as you can get. I think a local rep bonus instead, or alternatively a damage bonus, is more appropriate. Right now, and even with a 25% optimal/falloff bonus on the vargur, a 1400-arty Machariel can match or out-DPS an 800mm Vargur with significantly better range, and still drop flights of drones up to 4 sentries with room to spare for frigate-killing light drones - obviously it has better damage projection, even if the Vargur is supposed to be "specialized" in damage projection. And with the Vargur's new powergrid, it will have a 1400 platform that can reach farther, but outside of some very specific sniping setups, that kind of range is not particularly useful, and can be better fulfilled by a rail platform anyway.

In my opinion, balancing marauders with the bastion module is a cool idea, but not a good one. Changes to the hulls to rid them of their really annoying properties (low sensor strength/scan res and small drone bays/bandwidth) and giving them the MJD bonus + T2 resists is plenty. But since the bastion is probably going to be a thing, it really needs to be something that gives the ship a real role. Without the hull bonuses to repair amount, the bastion will give approximately a 45% tank bonus over what they do now (assuming a pilot with Marauders V), but at the *significant* expense of mobility. I know that I will prefer mobility over the extra tank in the vast majority of situations. I would not, however, prefer mobility if the bastion either:

A. Increased my tank much more significantly than 45% of current values.

(The idea here is that a 45% tank bonus on a marauder adds way too much tank to be useful in L4 missions, not quite enough to be useful as a self-rep in Incursions (not at the expense of not being able to warp out for a given period of time), enough to be somewhat useful but not role-defining in station games and solo PvP, and pretty much entirely useless in fleet warfare.)

B. Increased my damage projection much more significantly than 25% (so that I could project damage with short-range high-dps weapons more effectively.)

C. Increased my actual damage output to make up for the lack of projection. I like this the best because it seems like it has the largest variety of usefulness, and really encourages people to use the Bastion in a similar way to the way Dreadnoughts are used, which is quite obviously the idea behind the bastion in the first place.

It's been discussed that better tank lets you add more damage or damage projection mods, but most marauders can do fine in PvE with a 2-mod tank (resist and repair) and already pretty much fully utilize their damage capacity. Adding even more tank wouldn't do much, as I don't think many pilots would launch from station with only a repair module and not one resist, especially for the limited bonus provided by a fourth damage mod, third track
Ravasta Helugo
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3566 - 2013-09-11 20:29:09 UTC
Vrykolakasis wrote:
I haven't been reading a ton of this and just checked in to see if there had been any devposts concerning the marauders balance, but I'd like to note that on the topic of t1 battleship hulls, I know that all of them can complete any L4 mission without warping out.

I can think of several missions I've run recently where warping out would have been mandatory had I been in an Apocalypse vs. my Paladin. Unless I ran a 5-6 slot tank, that is, in which case mission completion time would have been 2-3x longer.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3567 - 2013-09-11 21:01:20 UTC
Ravasta Helugo wrote:
Vrykolakasis wrote:
I haven't been reading a ton of this and just checked in to see if there had been any devposts concerning the marauders balance, but I'd like to note that on the topic of t1 battleship hulls, I know that all of them can complete any L4 mission without warping out.

I can think of several missions I've run recently where warping out would have been mandatory had I been in an Apocalypse vs. my Paladin. Unless I ran a 5-6 slot tank, that is, in which case mission completion time would have been 2-3x longer.

i fell like this has happend b4, lol
John Ratcliffe
Tradors'R'us
IChooseYou Alliance
#3568 - 2013-09-11 21:06:04 UTC  |  Edited by: John Ratcliffe
Bastion mode is a novelty. I do not approve of the Marauder changes - this is not the direction CCP should be taking them in.

Please, for the love of God, add more Torp range to the Golem. It is utterly pathetic. Also, if you insist on giving the Golem an extra High then make it so I can fit another Launcher in there and give me the PG and CPU to do so. I do not need or want the 3 useless Utility Highs it has already FFS! It does not need another utterly pointless Utility High.

Also, why is Marauder sensor strength so crap? What's the reasoning?

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Iome Ambraelle
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3569 - 2013-09-11 21:11:31 UTC
Well I've finally compiled all my thoughts together from this thread into a (somewhat) comprehensible format. The thread is located here. I've tried to incorporate many of the ideas I've seen posted here with an eye towards useful base hulls with bastion being a role enhancer. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it overall and where you would change or make it better.

Shield Tanking - Why armor tanking can't have nice things.

Vrykolakasis
Sparrowhawks Corp
#3570 - 2013-09-11 21:11:57 UTC
Ravasta Helugo wrote:
Vrykolakasis wrote:

Which missions? I can't imagine needing more than a 3-slot tank in a paladin for anything, and that includes doing silly stuff like pulling full room aggro in The Assault R3. By avoiding full room aggro an Apoc with a 3-slot tank should be able to complete Assault R3 no problem. And I know for a fact it can run AE bonus room without issue. You can argue that where the paladin can use an EANM, an apoc may have to use specific resists, and the convenience is nice there. But otherwise I personally must be having a very different experience in whatever missions you're referring to.
Mr Doctor
Star Nation
Goonswarm Federation
#3571 - 2013-09-11 21:20:28 UTC
I thought it was an interesting idea at first but with the second change its getting less so. I like the idea of a highly mobile snipe BS so I like the core idea, not so much anything else. Maybe if bastion mode ends 5-10 seconds after guns stop instead of the flat 60 second cycle. Also better agility. MJD, blast, stop firing, MJD repeat.

Still, a tornado(other ABCs are available) being 1/10 the price MWDing away while blasting is pretty much going to be a better option in most circumstances.

Yeah a T2 1bil BS should be special like Blops are. Do something crazy with it CCP.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3572 - 2013-09-11 21:59:52 UTC
Mr Doctor wrote:
I Do something crazy with it CCP.

i like this man
Kusum Fawn
Perkone
Caldari State
#3573 - 2013-09-12 00:51:40 UTC
Wolfgang Achari wrote:

Good question. If someone has a database of completion times that we can use as a standard, that would be swell. Otherwise I'll see what I can do to get some quick averages. I will probably do a few trial runs to get an idea of how much time I'm going to need as I'm going to try and do the missions back to back. I will be skipping courier missions.

This toon has 100m+ SP, not all related skills are at V but a good chunk of them are.

I am going to make it a bit more challenging and limit the fits to T1/T2/Meta modules. Faction charges, implants, nanite repair paste, rigs, and combat boosters* are fair game. I won't be using off-grid boosts, fleet window will be visible as proof.

I'll also be using out of game tools to appropriately prepare for and run the missions just as anyone else can. No mission will be blitzed and I'll make a reasonable effort to obtain keys for bonus rooms. I have no idea what my standings are, but I'm going to try to run the missions in the appropriate faction space for the ship.

Since warping out will count as a failure for the ship, I will not be warping out.

I'm interpreting "Most of the ships" as any amount greater than 60%. So to complete the challenge, I will need to successfully run 10 missions without warping out a single time in at least eight of the twelve T1 hulls. Once I have a metric for reasonable completion times, I will be able to compare those as well to determine if I successfully completed that portion of the challenge.

Did I miss anything?

With some luck I won't be kicked from my corp for doing this. Big smile

*I can use combat boosters at any time. If I have not yet requested the first mission out of the ten, I can consume boosters until I get favorable results. If I wait for a combat booster to expire after requesting the first mission, the wait time will be added to the mission time clock. This applies as well if I can't do the missions back to back. For example, if I stop after the fourth mission, I can't consume boosters until I get favorable results before requesting/starting the fifth.

*Edit*
Alliance/Corp ops will take precedence over this challenge. So if a ping goes out and I need to abandon a mission, I will restart the mission after DT has passed.

*Edit 2*
Added rigs as fair game as well since I forgot about them while making the post originally.

As the marauder changes are not on Sisi but the current crop of bs are thats where you should be doing this if you havent already decided to do so. I would love to be around when you are running missions and can supply some of the missions if you are so inclined and if its allowable under the rules that you are setting forth.

I would be interested in running competing missions in my marauder as well to see differences in completion times.

Its not possible to please all the people all the time, but it sure as hell is possible to Displease all the people, most of the time.

Yun Kuai
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#3574 - 2013-09-12 02:16:25 UTC
Yun Kuai wrote:
I think the biggest issue, as some have point out, is the balancing between a PVE and PVP perspective. Traditionally speaking, the marauder has been a ship class strictly for PVE since its inception into the game. This has created an iconic "carebear" ship that was able to PvP in the past, but really suffered due to the initial limitations placed by the CCP devs.

Now we've reached an age in EvE where the ships are changing, some drastically and some just a pinch here and there. As we enter the marauder rebalance, I believe it's very important for both the players and for the developers to realize that the pre-existing iterations of marauders can already easily run lvl 4 missions. Rebalancing them specifically so that they're even better at PVE is foolish and lacks forward thinking. Any BS can run lvl 4 missions in highsec easily enough so there is no need to relegate a single class to just PVE. If these ships are balanced correctly, they will still excel at PVE just because they excel at PVP.

Now, as we focus on the ship balancing itself I would like to say this. As I've watched the ship balancing come and pass for the T1 hulls, I've really felt that the game has lost of its racial flare and has been more focused on homogenization through equal slot allowances, slot layouts, etc. These marauders represent the pinnacle of their respective races sub capital class ship, and as such should truly show racial differences. Giving every marauder the same web bonus across the four races is boring and takes away their differences and specialties. As for the bastion module, the idea is exciting but the presentation needs work. Due to this, these ships prove challenging to balance but here goes my two cents.

I would like to provide a concept instead of hard numbers, which hopefully will be discussed and built upon:
Bastion Module:
1) 60 second cycle timer
2) Anchor ship when activated.
3) Provides Ewar immunity while activated.
4) Provides mass increase so you can't be bumped. To counter the WH closing problem: you cannot jump while the module is activated....or dock or jump gates for that matter
5) Provides 100% bonus to armor repairer/shield repairer effectiveness and cap reduction and/or cycle time reduction to armor/shield repairers. (Caution for ASB fits....may be OP)
6) Is scripted to provide specific bonuses to short range or long range play styles. This module is only limited to 1 hull that cost over a billion, its okay to introduce a useful one considering the trade off of being stuck in place for a minute

Marauders:
Like I mentioned earlier, these should be the racial embodiment of their weapon system. They should illustrate the strength of pulse/beam lasers, blaster/railgun hybrids, cruise/torp missiles, auto/artillery projectiles through hull specific bonuses. Note, these bonuses should not provide a direct bonus to raw damage, but rather damage application bonuses that have synergy with the bastion module itself.

The marauders need survivability inside and outside of bastion mode. This means providing hull bonuses that boost actual armor or shield HP. This provides usefulness for use outside of bastion mode, i.e receiving RR, and provides bonuses to bastion mode, i.e. having enough buffer to get rep cycles off.

The marauders also need racial specific support bonuses like webs, but not a blanket bonus to each hull. These ships aren't similar by any means in the damage application or ranges of engagement, so their support bonus shouldn't be similar as well.
Paladin: bonus to TC (mid range weapon system)
Golem: bonus to TP (missile application)
Kronos: bonus to web strength (short range weapon system)
Vargur: bonus to TC ( mid range weapon system)

(I'm not exactly sure what kind of (or if we should even have the bonus) support form of Ewar to use without having overlap) Edited****

Keep the MJD role bonus. Coordinated with a scripted bastion module, these ships can benefit from pulling range or closing distances to accommodate different play styles and fleet doctrines.

Still don't have anything kind of bonus that could be given to the Vargur that wouldn't step on the Paladin's toes in terms of a support bonus. Both lasers and projectiles fall into midrange category so it's proving to be challenging.

--------------------------------------------------------::::::::::::--:::-----:::---::::::::::::--------------:::----------:::----:::---:::----------------------:::::::-------:::---:::----::::::-------------------:::-----------:::--:::----:::---------------------::::::::::::----:::::::----:::::::::::::-------

Wolfgang Achari
Morior Invictus.
#3575 - 2013-09-12 03:48:04 UTC
For those interested, I've setup an in game chat channel "MissionChallenge". I'll get things flushed out a bit better in the next day or so, but otherwise I'll be updating the MOTD in the channel with my progress.

Kusum Fawn wrote:
As the marauder changes are not on Sisi but the current crop of bs are thats where you should be doing this if you havent already decided to do so. I would love to be around when you are running missions and can supply some of the missions if you are so inclined and if its allowable under the rules that you are setting forth.

I would be interested in running competing missions in my marauder as well to see differences in completion times.

I was planning on doing it through Sisi because of the convenience the markets provide. If folks would rather see it done on TQ I can work on making that happen instead.

As long as you're not providing boosts there isn't an issue. You just need to be in another squad/wing/etc. so I can warp to missions or just drop fleet after initiating warp to the mission. Shoot me a message with the factions you have access to with L4 security missions and we'll go from there.

I'm planning on timing the individual missions in addition to the total time for all ten. So everyone can compare the average/individual mission time with their own if they would like to.
Darkwolf
#3576 - 2013-09-12 05:55:10 UTC
This thread has gone places.

I'll be very interested to hear about your results, keep us posted!
Ravasta Helugo
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3577 - 2013-09-12 05:59:11 UTC
Darkwolf wrote:
This thread has gone places.

I'll be very interested to hear about your results, keep us posted!

It lost steam hard after it became apparent that CCP was going back to the drawing board.

That's good though. This forum did it's job. We're going to see a much more thought out product in their next offering, I'm sure of it.
Darkwolf
#3578 - 2013-09-12 06:08:40 UTC
Ravasta Helugo wrote:
That's good though. This forum did it's job. We're going to see a much more thought out product in their next offering, I'm sure of it.

That too, but I was referring to the all-in mission BS shootout :)
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#3579 - 2013-09-12 06:59:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Debora Tsung
Wolfgang Achari wrote:
Due to time constraints, the videos won't arrive quickly to your inbox. However, if you think any hulls in particular are going to be more likely to fail than others just send me a message and I can do those first.

Care to make a wager out of this? :)

Is it possible for You to upload the video on YT? I want to see it, too. If you don't mind. :)

Are You doing the same mission with every hull or different missions? And which mission? Worlds collide or something else? Maybe Dread Pirate Scarlett. Big smile

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3580 - 2013-09-12 08:18:51 UTC
Wolfgang Achari wrote:
For those interested, I've setup an in game chat channel "MissionChallenge". I'll get things flushed out a bit better in the next day or so, but otherwise I'll be updating the MOTD in the channel with my progress.

Kusum Fawn wrote:

I was planning on doing it through Sisi because of the convenience the markets provide. If folks would rather see it done on TQ I can work on making that happen instead.

As long as you're not providing boosts there isn't an issue. You just need to be in another squad/wing/etc. so I can warp to missions or just drop fleet after initiating warp to the mission. Shoot me a message with the factions you have access to with L4 security missions and we'll go from there.

I'm planning on timing the individual missions in addition to the total time for all ten. So everyone can compare the average/individual mission time with their own if they would like to.

I was pondering this lastnight, the ships should probably be put up against each of the pirate factions, ie,I'm currently flying an npoc in caldari space and as such am often up against guristas,not ideal but that's where my corp is.

yeah I'd imagine the test server would be fine

again man, good sport, will hop on that channel next time I'm in