These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
Cassius Invictus
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3361 - 2013-09-09 22:45:34 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:

Except that the resist profile is not particularly better on 2 out of the 4, especially compared to the damage they deal (which determines which rats they're likely to want to fight)

Mate pls read what I wrote. A completely agree. I wrote about resists profile not overall resists. Pali and Vargur don't need their resist increased. They need their resists shifted.
Cade Windstalker
#3362 - 2013-09-09 22:46:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Cade Windstalker
Cassius Invictus wrote:
Mate pls read what I wrote. A completely agree. I wrote about resists profile not overall resists. Pali and Vargur don't need their resist increased. They need their resists shifted.

I did, there's nothing to indicate that you meant anything about shifting the resists.

Also as I mentioned in another post, shifting resists would just **** off another segment of the PvE crowd along with the PvP people as well.

This whole point becomes largely moot if they get the local repair bonus back on the hulls.

Wolfgang Achari wrote:
There's this infographic halfway through this ship balance devblog that explains why this is. Likewise, why weren't these exact same complaints being used for HAC's when they were being rebalanced compared to faction cruiser hulls? T2 cruisers are typically less maneuverable, have less raw damage, require more training time, bring comparible tanks for regional rats, and (with some exceptions) also require greater isk investment. Since T2 is all about specialization, it looks like CCP is trying to add real specialization to marauders with the bastion module. Killing NPC's isn't a specialized task and giving a tractor beam bonus doesn't make the ship specialized for PvE (despite what the description might say).

No, but the solution to this isn't to kill their PvE utility either.

What makes a ship specialized is unique bonuses like the ability to fit the Bastion module or the MJD bonus. These both can be applied, situationally, to either PvP or PvE.

Wolfgang Achari wrote:
Their proposed role is no longer going to be just a PvE focused battleship. Like I mentioned previously as well, a tractor beam bonus is hardly grounds for being claiming a ship is specialized for PvE.

No, but Ytterbium's posts have focused on PvE situations, the majority of their use currently is in PvE, and it's pretty clear that neither the devs nor the player-base (or at least that segment that currently uses Marauders) want their PvE viability to be nerfed, especially if it's to turn them into a PvP god-ship...
Iome Ambraelle
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3363 - 2013-09-09 23:53:40 UTC
How about those of you following this thread interested in the PVP application of this ship class come up with good uses and scenarios for the marauder class as proposed instead of just saying, "But PVP!" or "But T2 Resists!". I'm having trouble coming up with anything that makes a lot of sense. If you don't want to use the bastion module because of the drawbacks, you are left with a hull that has:

• Terrible sensor strength
  • T2 Resists
  • Less DPS than Pirate and some faction hulls
  • Slightly better damage projection
  • Terrible local maneuverability
  • MJD bonus
  • Almost no drone bandwidth and small drone bay
  • 4 utility high slots
  • Lowish EHP

The low sensor strength and slow local movement are huge detractors for these hulls in PVP. Although you do get T2 resists, the inherent flaws in the hull like lower EHP make this less interesting. A single EWAR module could put this ship out of the fight until your opponent is ready to put you down. Not to mention the SP requirements and cost of the hull are prohibitive. When compared to Pirate and Faction alternatives why would you fly one of these in a PVP situation?

If you do use the bastion module the list of benefits increases to include a local rep bonus, better damage projection, and EWAR immunity. Although you get to scratch the low sensor strength off the list above, you also have to add immobility for 60 seconds, the activation of a weapons timer, and the exclusion of remote assistance to the list of "bad" things.

As they stand now I can only think of 2 niche PVP roles that MIGHT make sense if you use the bastion module. They are rooted in the concept around being in a position where RR is unlikely to begin with so that the exclusion of RR is no longer relevant.

First, a remote sniper role would work. The marauder stays at extreme range from the conflict and deals steady damage while the remainder of his group work close in like normal. You wouldn't post a dedicated logi on that type of role in a small gang so he can feel free to bastion up. He's still in danger of being pinned if a tackle can get there while he's bastioned but it's at least a plausible PVP role.

The second option would be to act as a sort of area denial platform or tip-of-the-spear deployment. The marauder would MJD into the target area and bastion. Nuets, weapons, and other utility would be leveraged immediately after entering bastion. The idea is to scatter the opponents initially with enough self tanking capability to survive until the remainder of your group can engage on their terms. You would have to be enough of a threat to make the opponent at least respond to your presence and allow your group to position.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Anyone else have any vague ideas on how this version of the rebalance could be used?

Shield Tanking - Why armor tanking can't have nice things.

Darren Foster
Information Warfare Command
#3364 - 2013-09-10 00:55:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Darren Foster
*sigh* I was hoping not to have to post this in here, but I guess I will have to.

First and foremost, make the marauders viable WITHOUT the gorram module. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice fancy bonus, but I have no intention of ever fitting it. The loss of remote repping and the loss of mobility make fitting that module utterly worthless to me in both PvP and PvE, no matter the bonuses it provides. Immunity to EW almost makes it worth losing one of those, but not both.

Secondly, MJDs? Still? They're pointless for a reason. They're nearly worthless in PvP (reasonable escape module, but meh), and their fitting costs (loosing a mid slot, specifically) are painful. If you allow MJDs to have a variable distance (between 50 and 250 km; the distance decided when you activate it in the field), it might be remotely useful to people. I'll still take my MWD tho. If you make it an innate ability of the ship and remove MJDs altogether, I'll gladly take it. Otherwise, no thanks. It's just not viable over my MWD.

Lastly: here's a set of bonuses that might actually make people happy (I say "might" because there is no guarantee it'll work). Give 'em Tech 2 resists, keep the bonuses as they are now (with the addition of the role bonuses "Can fit Bastion modules" and "X adjustment to MJD" as you like, maybe a bit of tuning on the amount of the current bonuses without changing the bonus type) and keep the drone bays as they are. This way people can actually have some choice in how they fit the ship, but still have it be very good for sniping with the reworks you want. It will let marauders as a whole be a varied, functional, and useful battleships, rather than just being incredibly expensive trash cans.

That's my 2 cents.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#3365 - 2013-09-10 00:58:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
MJD's do work in missions. I like the suggestion of a variable distance (similar to how you set orbit, warp to distance, etc.)

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Darren Foster
#3366 - 2013-09-10 01:03:54 UTC
Oh? Last I checked they weren't usable in deadspaces. It'd give you that "local phenomena is interfering" pop-up. Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've bothered fitting one, but I don't recall spotting that in any patch notes.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#3367 - 2013-09-10 01:07:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Darren Foster wrote:
Oh? Last I checked they weren't usable in deadspaces. It'd give you that "local phenomena is interfering" pop-up. Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've bothered fitting one, but I don't recall spotting that in any patch notes.

They're quite useful on CNR's as you can just MJD, orbit at 150km and snipe (they're scram immune, too). I thought it was odd that they worked, especially since the "warp to" option is a no-go. I can't honestly remember an L4 mission where they didn't work, so someone please jump-in and correct me if this is not the case.

Darren Foster
#3368 - 2013-09-10 01:11:51 UTC
huh.... well, this will prompt an edit then :P
Cade Windstalker
#3369 - 2013-09-10 01:15:59 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
They're quite useful on CNR's as you can just MJD, orbit at 150km and snipe (they're scram immune, too). I thought it was odd that they worked, especially since the "warp to" option is a no-go. I can't honestly remember an L4 mission where they didn't work, so someone please jump-in and correct me if this is not the case.

They're not scram immune, mission rats just have 2 point disruptors, not scrams even though the effect says "Warp Scrambled".

Darren Foster wrote:

You can use a MJD in any mission you can use a MWD in, which is all but a very small minority these days. You still can't warp on the local grid, but you can very much use a MWD or MJD.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#3370 - 2013-09-10 01:22:18 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
They're not scram immune, mission rats just have 2 point disruptors, not scrams even though the effect says "Warp Scrambled"..

Disrupted, then. And I believe they're 1-point disruptors, since 2-points does kill MJD (and warp cores don't help).

Cade Windstalker
#3371 - 2013-09-10 01:30:53 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Cade Windstalker wrote:
They're not scram immune, mission rats just have 2 point disruptors, not scrams even though the effect says "Warp Scrambled"..

Disrupted, then. And I believe they're 1-point disruptors, since 2-points does kill MJD (and warp cores don't help).

It's a side-effect of the Scram, not a function of how many points you have active on you. There are 2 point Officer Warp Disruptors that are won't affect a MWD or MJD. I could be wrong about the point strength on mission rats but I know they don't turn off your MWD or MJD regardless of what the module they're using says it is.
Wedgetail
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3372 - 2013-09-10 03:54:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Wedgetail
Cade Windstalker wrote:

"Niche PvP Applications"

Not "PvP god-boat".

The Marauders are unlikely to be useful for everyone in every PvP situation, but that's the nature of T2 specialization. If you want raw damage then I suggest you wait for the pirate battleship re-balance. Giving them massive damage boost over the Pirate Battleships just creates power creep.

Also stop trying to balance against the definition of a word, it makes for poor game design.

I don't want raw damage, I want an option that doesn't focus on boxing myself into a figurative ball and killing anything that tries to come close, the current bastion proposal makes these ships unassailable to everything but alpha, what i suggest instead is to give them the option to be effectively suicidal.

you have on these ships with proposed bastion:

massive repair rates, HUGE damage projection through combination of tracking optimal/falloff stasis webs AND damage bonus, huge cap warfare through 2/3 vamps/nuets NOTHING can approach these hulls in bastion it'll all die trying - and even if they do get in tackle range to do something about these hulls...guess what? they're ewar immune, so you can't grab hold of em even if you wanted to.

and you think what i suggest makes them a god boat?

for every action i can take in a fight i must have to put myself at real risk to do it - this version of bastion doesn't do that - the only vulnerability it leaves is alpha strikes, and those will kill you bastion or no - ccp designing ships around "oh my god quick lets pull range to where they can't get us and just bunker down!!"

all i'm giving them is the ability to single out one guy on the field at the expense of mobility and range, fleet doctrines that already exist (tier 3 battle cruisers notably) will be able to dodge this ship as easily as they could alpha them off the field under the current proposal.

side note: a bastion is a castle (more accurately part of its fortification), a fortress designed to shelter the ones inside from harm, a defensive option of last resort - ccp's current iteration more closely matches the definition of a walled unassailable stronghold than what i suggested, and why i chose to counter them on their terms by using the idea of a marauder, being an entity that doesn't rely on bastions.
Wolfgang Achari
Morior Invictus.
#3373 - 2013-09-10 04:10:07 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Wolfgang Achari wrote:
I fail to see why that's a compelling argument for retaining the rep bonus. Losing a little bit of tank against some NPC rats will not suddenly make these ships useless for PvE content. If anything it broadens the range of PvE content they can effectively be used for because of the overall increased resists. Retaining the current tanks for PvE just because a few people don't want to see any red on their tank during a site/mission/etc. isn't a good reason to retain it. Especially if it's at the expense of giving the ship greater usability overall.

The extra tank and thus the increased cap stability and/or option for more utility slots is the main reason to use these ships over Pirate Battleships at present. "Greater overall usability" is entirely subjective and since the only major use of these hulls at present is in mission running and other PvE content it seems fair that we should avoid invalidating the time and skill training these pilots have put into these ships if possible. A local repair bonus is not a death sentence for a hull, plenty of ships have them and are used in PvP and PvE, whether they're making use of said bonus or not.

The only SP invested that could be 'wasted' is in the marauder skill itself, all other skills are transferable to other ships in the game. Even the ship/modules could be sold to recover the ISK spent. Likewise, in reference to the T2 resists vs. rep bonus, I'd like to point out something in the marauder description...

Quote:
Geared toward versatility and prolonged deployment in hostile environments

A Paladin isn't in hostile space if the space is controlled by Amarr empire. Take a look at the T2 resists and how they compare to NPC damage types in Minmatar space though (and vice versa for a Vargur in Amarr space). You argue that the T2 resists make the ship weak, I argue that you've been using the wrong ship for the space you've been flying in this entire time. :P

As for the Faction BS vs. Marauder debate, here's an interesting excerpt from the original dev blog with the faction ship changes...

Quote:
Pirate ships have focused, niche role they excel to. Due to their high acquisition cost and rarity, it was decided they should either be on par with Tech 2 ships of the same class or even slightly above them.

It would appear to me that perhaps faction ships are working as intended since their last balance pass. :)

Finally, I have not said that rep bonuses are a death sentence for any ship. I've been saying that a proper resist profile is stronger than a rep bonus, which is why all ships with resist bonuses were recently nerfed and may even be nerfed again in the future.
Iome Ambraelle
Gallente Federation
#3374 - 2013-09-10 04:15:35 UTC
Only the shield tanked marauders can reach "invulnerable except for alpha" status with 3-5k dps tanks (with only a deadspace booster and T2 support) due to the availability of oversized repair modules. The armor tanked hulls top out around 1800 dps tanks with a deadspace repper. Add an additional 500mil worth of deadspace support and you can get into the shield levels. Just three ships with 800 dps apiece will kill a bastioned armor hull in less than 40 seconds due to raw dps, not alpha.

There's too many mixed messages from the hull bonuses coupled with the lackluster bastion module to really even figure out what role is intended for this ship class. I think we're just going to have to wait for the devs to put together a more fleshed out plan and go from there. I think we can all (PVP, PVE mission, and PVE wh/incursion pilots alike) agree that the current version doesn't really please anyone all that much.

Cade Windstalker
#3375 - 2013-09-10 04:16:17 UTC
Wedgetail wrote:
I don't want raw damage, I want an option that doesn't focus on boxing myself into a figurative ball and killing anything that tries to come close, the current bastion proposal makes these ships unassailable to everything but alpha, what i suggest instead is to give them the option to be effectively suicidal.

you have on these ships with proposed bastion:

massive repair rates, HUGE damage projection through combination of tracking optimal/falloff stasis webs AND damage bonus, huge cap warfare through 2/3 vamps/nuets NOTHING can approach these hulls in bastion it'll all die trying - and even if they do get in tackle range to do something about these hulls...guess what? they're ewar immune, so you can't grab hold of em even if you wanted to.

and you think what i suggest makes them a god boat?

for every action i can take in a fight i must have to put myself at real risk to do it - this version of bastion doesn't do that - the only vulnerability it leaves is alpha strikes, and those will kill you bastion or no - ccp designing ships around "oh my god quick lets pull range to where they can't get us and just bunker down!!"

all i'm giving them is the ability to single out one guy on the field at the expense of mobility and range, fleet doctrines that already exist (tier 3 battle cruisers notably) will be able to dodge this ship as easily as they could alpha them off the field under the current proposal.

side note: a bastion is a castle, a fortress designed to shelter the ones inside from harm, a defensive option of last resort - ccp's current iteration more closely matches the definition of a walled unassailable stronghold than what i suggested, and why i chose to counter them on their terms by using the idea of a marauder, being an entity that doesn't rely on bastions.

I have made clear repeatedly that I'm not a fan of web effectiveness bonuses, if you missed that then here it is again. I'm not a fan of web effectiveness bonuses. They're over-powered. If you'd like an explanation as to why then I can certainly provide one.

As for the "unassailable by everything but alpha" argument, I really don't think so. Even with an absolutely beastly local tank you're still looking at a rather slim buffer compared to a lot of other battleships which means if they can break your tank you're going to go down pretty quickly.

Something like a dual ASB Vargur can probably tank quite a bit of DPS for a long time but won't actually be able to hurt anything very much and probably won't have the slots left to make use of the web bonus.

You don't need to pin down a Marauder in Bastion any more than you need to pin down a Dreadnaught in Siege except that these things don't have Jump Drives so they can't jump out. Once they've started moving they've got double digit align times or a MJD cycle to go through before they can escape meaning you've got plenty of time to put a long point on them.

So, yes, I have massively more of a problem with damage bonused ships jumping around while EWar immune than with CCP's current proposal, especially when your entire argument against it seems to assume that the enemy doesn't have very much DPS and is going to approach the thing by aligning straight at it rather than circling in.
Iome Ambraelle
Gallente Federation
#3376 - 2013-09-10 04:20:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Iome Ambraelle
Wolfgang Achari wrote:
A Paladin isn't in hostile space if the space is controlled by Amarr empire. Take a look at the T2 resists and how they compare to NPC damage types in Minmatar space though (and vice versa for a Vargur in Amarr space). You argue that the T2 resists make the ship weak, I argue that you've been using the wrong ship for the space you've been flying in this entire time. :P

Lore or description wise, ok sure. However from a mechanics and mission efficiency standpoint, shooting lasers into your enemy's best and second best resists doesn't sound very appealing. Also, the reverse example you gave of a vargur in amarr space has a distinct advantage since they have selectable damage ammo.

Cade Windstalker
#3377 - 2013-09-10 04:27:47 UTC
Wolfgang Achari wrote:
The only SP invested that could be 'wasted' is in the marauder skill itself, all other skills are transferable to other ships in the game. Even the ship/modules could be sold to recover the ISK spent.

Yes, and that's over a month's training time. I'd be just a little pissed if CCP said "yeah, we know these things are mostly used for missions but now they're going to be useless for missions and you'll have to train something else now".

I really don't think you or anyone else can invent a reason why anyone in this game would be happy seeing over 2.5 million SP now be worthless to their character.

Wolfgang Achari wrote:
Likewise, in reference to the T2 resists vs. rep bonus, I'd like to point out something in the marauder description...

And I counter with "balancing by word definition is bad Game Design". The in-game description can be re-written quite easily, it's a poor justification for pretty much anything ever.

Marauders have always been PvE focused ships. Another interpretation of your quote could be venturing into mission deadspace pockets to retrieve loot and pirate bounties.

Wolfgang Achari wrote:
As for the Faction BS vs. Marauder debate, here's an interesting excerpt from the original dev blog with the faction ship changes...

Quote:
Pirate ships have focused, niche role they excel to. Due to their high acquisition cost and rarity, it was decided they should either be on par with Tech 2 ships of the same class or even slightly above them.

It would appear to me that perhaps faction ships are working as intended since their last balance pass. :)

Finally, I have not said that rep bonuses are a death sentence for any ship. I've been saying that a proper resist profile is stronger than a rep bonus, which is why all ships with resist bonuses were recently nerfed and may even be nerfed again in the future.

You are quoting something from way back in 2009. Since then quite a few things have changed in the game and in CCP's approach to balance. Here's a more recent dev-blog on ship balancing, note that Faction ships are only directly compared to T1 and other faction ships.

Specifically this bit here:

Quote:
Tech, which impacts ship performance, and roles. Tech 1 is the reference in ship balancing, while faction ships (navy and pirate variants) are most often plain improvements, tech 2 offer a specialized purpose and tech 3 give opportunities for generalization.

Specialization means that they are going to be better in specific areas than non-specialized ships and can be also taken to mean having unique bonuses that aren't found on more generalized hulls like the Faction and T1 variants.

More to the point though, it indicates a definite shift from Pirate ships having a "focused and specialized role" and more toward them being bigger and more powerful T1 hulls.

As for the resist profile, again, not in missions where your damage types are pre-defined and you build to resist against those specific profiles.
Wedgetail
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3378 - 2013-09-10 04:29:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Wedgetail
Quote:

..which is why pirate ships have greater base damage but less utility, they mirror the equivalent t2 ships in role but are only as good/better at one part of the t2's role, compared on the whole and in a wider range of circumstances the t2's will almost always be rated higher (i've found the smaller the ship hull is the more useful the faction variant seems over the t2, while this isn't necessarily the case, it's something Ive put down to being a by product of limited fitting space/ability on (some of) the smaller hulls when compared to the heavier ones)

compare the dramiel and daredevil to the t2 interceptors
think back, compare the cynabal and Ashimmu with ships like the vagabond and curse (prior the recent rebalance)
compare the battle ships with the marauders

notice the similarities? and the performance shifts? everything you've been saying regarding the pirate hulls is accurate, they are good at doing one thing, t2 are good at doing one thing - but also have a bit of extra off the side (the amount they have is as i said, dependent often on hull class)

in almost all cases the t2 were better at doing the same job than faction as you go up the hull classes in pvp, why?

because t2 ships have a broader range of options than the very focused faction hulls, pirate's built to do just one thing better than the t2, and fall just short everywhere else - (normally the shortcoming is on the defensive side of the scale due to resistance profiles, speed, sensor strength etc etc) they are not big differences at first glance but they do matter when you're moving between different and not easily predictable engagement scenarios (pvp).

in the marauder specific case i've said many times, the difference is in utility yes marauders fall 1-300 dps short of the pirate counter parts, but in turn have gained more base defense and the ability to carry remote repair or capacitor warfare mods(think of RR as a reduction of enemy dps ability for every shield rep i put onto an ally the amount of damage that's actually killing him decreases - same for nuets and vamps if the guy i'm fighting uses lasers or hybrids, 'increases' my damage when his tank mods die due to cap drain)

yes it costs me sensor strength and scan res over the pirate battleship, but this is a very valid weakness for a ship with such broad potential
- which is why gangs using marauders use smaller ships with projected ECCM or remote sensor boosters to off set their deficiency (see HUN reloaded in previous AT matches as to how this is done)

these aren't facets of play you see in PVE missions (L1-4), you do see this in wormhole space and incursion PVE however. (though less on capacitor warfare as NPC's have "infinite capacitor" thus can never have tank or guns disabled as a player would)
Cade Windstalker
#3379 - 2013-09-10 04:32:23 UTC
Wedgetail wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

..which is why pirate ships have greater base damage but less utility, they mirror the equivalent t2 ships in role but are only as good/better at one part of the t2's role, compared on the whole and in a wider range of circumstances the t2's will almost always be rated higher (i've found the smaller the ship hull is the more useful the faction variant seems over the t2, while this isn't necessarily the case, it's something Ive put down to being a by product of limited fitting space/ability on (some of) the smaller hulls when compared to the heavier ones)

think back, compare the cynabal and phantasm with ships like the vagabond and zealot (prior the recent rebalance)
compare the dramiel to the t2 interceptors
compare the battle ships with the marauders

notice the similarities? and the performance shifts? everything you've been saying regarding the pirate hulls is accurate, they are good at doing one thing, t2 are good at doing one thing - but also have a bit of extra off the side (the amount they have is as i said, dependent often on hull class)

in almost all cases the t2 were better at doing the same job than faction as you go up the hull classes in pvp, why?

because t2 ships have a broader range of options than the very focused faction hulls, pirate's built to do just one thing better than the t2, and fall just short everywhere else - (normally the shortcoming is on the defensive side of the scale due to resistance profiles, speed, sensor strength etc etc) they are not big differences at first glance but they do matter when you're moving between different and not easily predictable engagement scenarios (pvp).

(granted the phantasm was a terrible ship, shoulda used another example like the ashimmu and curse XD)

They've also repeatedly given hints that some of the more problematic Pirate hulls are going to get toned down and as I quoted above, the "Pirate hulls are specialized" bit no longer holds true so it seems rather likely that we're going to see them shift toward being more powerful T1 hulls with less in the way of specialized characteristics or bonuses so they don't step so hard on certain T2 hulls.
Wedgetail
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3380 - 2013-09-10 04:46:46 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:

They've also repeatedly given hints that some of the more problematic Pirate hulls are going to get toned down and as I quoted above, the "Pirate hulls are specialized" bit no longer holds true so it seems rather likely that we're going to see them shift toward being more powerful T1 hulls with less in the way of specialized characteristics or bonuses so they don't step so hard on certain T2 hulls.

they have, personally I have no issues with how the pirate hulls work now, because my understanding of t2 is that they can do the same role just with a slightly different set of advantages - the more options I have in pvp in terms of ships that do different variations of things the better combat is overall.

i want to be able to anticipate what the opposition might do, which tools i might need, i want to be able to build fleet doctrines tailored around the specific edge advantages each hull group gives me - if i need more raw damage potential i'll use pirate hulls, but if i need something that can act more defensively or subversively i'll take marauders (marauders with MJD would be great for under cutting cap chain logistics ships for example)

the differences don't have to be large but i do like them to be more or less equivalent, so where one ship falls short it compensates by doing something else better.