These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
Cassius Invictus
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3321 - 2013-09-09 17:16:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Cassius Invictus
Ersahi Kir wrote:
Iome Ambraelle wrote:
The change to T2 resists only benefit some of the hulls versus their factions rats compared to the active tanking bonuses. The Paladin has received a net loss in tanking potential with the changes. The Amarr T2 profile doesn't enhance EM or Thermal resistances which is what the primary targets of a laser boat are shooting. So the Paladin lost 37.5% repair against their primary targets and gained absolutely nothing outside of bastion. The Paladin only sees an increase in tanking potential against those same NPCs over what they are capable of on TQ with bastion active and they must STAND STILL to get it. The other hulls received enough additional resistances against their primary factions to counteract the lost of local repair boost so they get a net positive both without bastion or with bastion active.

Designing marauders for PvE is what ruined them in the first place. They need to be balanced for PvP because mission runners are just going to pick the ship that runs missions the quickest anyway.

Which doesn't mean they can't be balanced both for PvE and PvP... Roll
Iome Ambraelle
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3322 - 2013-09-09 17:23:08 UTC
Ersahi Kir wrote:
Iome Ambraelle wrote:
The change to T2 resists only benefit some of the hulls versus their factions rats compared to the active tanking bonuses. The Paladin has received a net loss in tanking potential with the changes. The Amarr T2 profile doesn't enhance EM or Thermal resistances which is what the primary targets of a laser boat are shooting. So the Paladin lost 37.5% repair against their primary targets and gained absolutely nothing outside of bastion. The Paladin only sees an increase in tanking potential against those same NPCs over what they are capable of on TQ with bastion active and they must STAND STILL to get it. The other hulls received enough additional resistances against their primary factions to counteract the lost of local repair boost so they get a net positive both without bastion or with bastion active.

Designing marauders for PvE is what ruined them in the first place. They need to be balanced for PvP because mission runners are just going to pick the ship that runs missions the quickest anyway.

I agree with you. However, what I don't want to see happen is the reduction of PVE capability to the point that faction and pirate hulls become better than marauders for that use. It would completely invalidate the ISK and SP investment of those players who already use the Marauder class for its current PVE focus. If modifications to the class to add PVP uses and expand their use into other areas besides level 4 missions can be made while maintaining everything else, great.

Shield Tanking - Why armor tanking can't have nice things.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#3323 - 2013-09-09 17:31:57 UTC
So perhaps balance the hulls for PVP, and the bastion module for PVE... or vice versa.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Wedgetail
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3324 - 2013-09-09 17:35:34 UTC
Iome Ambraelle wrote:

I agree with you. However, what I don't want to see happen is the reduction of PVE capability to the point that faction and pirate hulls become better than marauders for that use. It would completely invalidate the ISK and SP investment of those players who already use the Marauder class for its current PVE focus. If modifications to the class to add PVP uses and expand their use into other areas besides level 4 missions can be made while maintaining everything else, great.

it can, but ccp will have to stop focusing on making their changes prioritise defensive tactics, you don't win by isolating yourself from your allies, you don't win by sitting dead still and allowing your enemy to kill you on their terms and you don't win by allowing your opponent the room they need to simply ignore you.

you win by crushing them under your heel with unavoidable force, marauders by default fight at long range - with exception of the kronos (which still can but its current bonus set prioritises close quarters)

give the marauder hulls their optimal/falloff bonus, give them the rate of fire/damage bonus, the repair amount boost bonus and their tracking bonus - this means the default stance to a marauder is to sit at long range and skirmish (like they already do)

allowing them to continue doing what they do already, THEN for the bastion module, invert the role entirely, make its focus an all or nothing attack move, marauders are violent they don't huddle back off in the distance when things get bad they get very angry and aggressive, they defend by attacking indiscriminately - thus removing the thing causing them harm - or perishing in the attempt, this way marauders get a new function, and keep their old one at the same time - all peeps go home happy.
Wolfgang Achari
Morior Invictus.
#3325 - 2013-09-09 17:44:43 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Wolfgang Achari wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, since it's been a while since I've done missions, but last I checked you don't need a 1000dps tank to solo L4 missions. The few places you do need a greater tank than that are meant to be run by multiple people/accounts anyways. Likewise, T1 resists are more than adequate to run the ships respective racial missions without issue. This truly isn't as big of an issue as many people are making it out to be. After all, remote repping isn't the only reason resist bonuses were nerfed recently. ;)

Depends on the ship and the weapon systems. The greater the ship's innate ability to tank the more you can focus on other things like damage application and projection and the less tank you actually have to bring. Being able to perma-tank a mission is quite a nice luxury if you can't lower incoming DPS fast enough. Plus it's pretty fun watching ~1k of mission DPS splash off your tank with no red showing.

For reference if you fail to bring down incoming DPS there are Level 4 missions that do 1k DPS, give or take a little.

As for Level 5 missions, yes those are meant to be run by multiple people, however people figured out ages ago how to run them solo in a few select fits so they haven't really been serious multi-person content for years.

I fail to see why that's a compelling argument for retaining the rep bonus. Losing a little bit of tank against some NPC rats will not suddenly make these ships useless for PvE content. If anything it broadens the range of PvE content they can effectively be used for because of the overall increased resists. Retaining the current tanks for PvE just because a few people don't want to see any red on their tank during a site/mission/etc. isn't a good reason to retain it. Especially if it's at the expense of giving the ship greater usability overall.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3326 - 2013-09-09 17:57:58 UTC
Wedgetail wrote:
Iome Ambraelle wrote:

it can, but ccp will have to stop focusing on making their changes prioritise defensive tactics, you don't win by isolating yourself from your allies, you don't win by sitting dead still and allowing your enemy to kill you on their terms and you don't win by allowing your opponent the room they need to simply ignore you.

you win by crushing them under your heel with unavoidable force, marauders by default fight at long range - with exception of the kronos (which still can but its current bonus set prioritises close quarters)

give the marauder hulls their optimal/falloff bonus, give them the rate of fire/damage bonus, the repair amount boost bonus and their tracking bonus - this means the default stance to a marauder is to sit at long range and skirmish (like they already do)

allowing them to continue doing what they do already, THEN for the bastion module, invert the role entirely, make its focus an all or nothing attack move, marauders are violent they don't huddle back off in the distance when things get bad they get very angry and aggressive, they defend by attacking indiscriminately - thus removing the thing causing them harm - or perishing in the attempt, this way marauders get a new function, and keep their old one at the same time - all peeps go home happy.

Do you need to see the graph again?
You should probably read this
Are you familiar with the concept of attrition?
Iome Ambraelle
Gallente Federation
#3327 - 2013-09-09 18:06:20 UTC
Wolfgang Achari wrote:
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Wolfgang Achari wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, since it's been a while since I've done missions, but last I checked you don't need a 1000dps tank to solo L4 missions. The few places you do need a greater tank than that are meant to be run by multiple people/accounts anyways. Likewise, T1 resists are more than adequate to run the ships respective racial missions without issue. This truly isn't as big of an issue as many people are making it out to be. After all, remote repping isn't the only reason resist bonuses were nerfed recently. ;)

Depends on the ship and the weapon systems. The greater the ship's innate ability to tank the more you can focus on other things like damage application and projection and the less tank you actually have to bring. Being able to perma-tank a mission is quite a nice luxury if you can't lower incoming DPS fast enough. Plus it's pretty fun watching ~1k of mission DPS splash off your tank with no red showing.

For reference if you fail to bring down incoming DPS there are Level 4 missions that do 1k DPS, give or take a little.

As for Level 5 missions, yes those are meant to be run by multiple people, however people figured out ages ago how to run them solo in a few select fits so they haven't really been serious multi-person content for years.

I fail to see why that's a compelling argument for retaining the rep bonus. Losing a little bit of tank against some NPC rats will not suddenly make these ships useless for PvE content. If anything it broadens the range of PvE content they can effectively be used for because of the overall increased resists. Retaining the current tanks for PvE just because a few people don't want to see any red on their tank during a site/mission/etc. isn't a good reason to retain it. Especially if it's at the expense of giving the ship greater usability overall.

The problem is that by lowering the tank, the differences between the Marauder class and the pirate/faction hulls becomes too narrow making the those alternatives far more attractive because they will bring almost the same effective tanking potential, but with greater maneuverability, raw damage, less training time, and less ISK investment. Why train for and fly a marauder if the faction/pirate hulls match it or exceed it in most ways.

Wedgetail
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3328 - 2013-09-09 18:07:18 UTC
yes i do - marauders already fight attrition warfare, through utility high slots sporting remote repair modules, they sit back spider tanking raining death, this is what this iteration of bastion says it's trying to get them to do...just without the RR cuz..you're in bastion mode you can't receive remote aid, this means that if you're within the enemy's firing line while in bastion mode, you die - just as dreads die sieged to battleship alpha fleets now, no amount of self mounted repair modules will save you against a fleet.

bear in mind that if you MJD around as ccp seem to intend, target locks do not break unless you pass beyond lock range, as you're not warping, you're simply moving at high speed to a point 100km infront of you.

marauders already do what ccp is trying to use bastion to make them do, so rather than change what already is by adding a new thing that repeats the old thing in a different manner, keep the old way and add the new one that does something different, expanding the tactics available to use, really simple stuff mate, ccp will still get to justify their MJD bonuses, still get to justify not having RR aid in bastion, still justify not being able to move in bastion, get all the stuff that's on the board in the current proposal (minus web bonus changes) - just orientated toward achieving a different outcome - same things...different way, the result they're trying to achieve...and failing to reach due to the mis-conception that marauders don't work when infact they do.
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#3329 - 2013-09-09 18:08:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Barrogh Habalu
Ersahi Kir wrote:

I agree but I would like to make 2 points:

1) PvE content doesn't end @ lvl4 missions. Harder PvE is where some ships can be situationally useful. Ofc, marauders require extensive training, but then again, it can be situational about that too (dread pilots won't have hard time training for marauder, for one);

2) PvP usefulness is what is supposed to save these ships from being least flown (at least somewhat...), but I'd like them to become something that isn't just BS-sized fleet "grunt" with T2 resists. I know that CCP intended new marauders to help not-so-large entities with some ISK at hand (EVE is full of those actually), but something didn't go well and now we are looking at ships that don't know what they do, or so it seems to me.

Wedgetail wrote:
yes i do - marauders already fight attrition warfare, through utility high slots sporting remote repair modules, they sit back spider tanking raining death, this is what this iteration of bastion says it's trying to get them to do...just without the RR cuz..you're in bastion mode you can't receive remote aid, this means that if you're within the enemy's firing line while in bastion mode, you die - just as dreads die sieged to battleship alpha fleets now, no amount of self mounted repair modules will save you against a fleet.

And this is what I'm talking about - bastions (and marauders by proxy) weren't intended for your average fleet battle in the first place. And that's why giving them rev.2 treatment looks like attemp of shoehorning them into "business as usual" general usage they can't do, but it is demanded still "cuz T2 resists on BS".
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3330 - 2013-09-09 18:08:53 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
So perhaps balance the hulls for PVP, and the bastion module for PVE... or vice versa.

Or a script for each ( shamelessly stolen from about 2/3 of the posts in this thread)
Ravasta Helugo
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3331 - 2013-09-09 18:14:20 UTC
Wolfgang Achari wrote:
Cade Windstalker wrote:

The issue with the "resists for rep" trade off is that it works as described for two ships, but two others (to include the Paladin) gain no resist bonus for their regionally prevalent rats to offset the 37.5% reduction in tank- resulting in the need to fit more modules to compensate. This reduces DPS, which reduces the amount of ISK you earn. This makes Pirate Battleships like the Nightmare that much more appealing, which defies the concept of a Tech 2 PvE focused Battleship.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3332 - 2013-09-09 18:15:24 UTC
Wedgetail wrote:
you spin me right round baby right round ,like a record baby round round right round.

I'm reasonabley certain that was so cfc can't flood highsec with fleets of the dame things.
Ersahi Kir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3333 - 2013-09-09 18:16:54 UTC
Iome Ambraelle wrote:
It would completely invalidate the ISK and SP investment of those players who already use the Marauder class for its current PVE focus.

And this is why I want them to refund marauder training SP with the marauder update. Refunding the SP allows them to fix the ships without having to worry about keeping the "waaaaah I trained marauders for PvE" people happy.

And pirate battleships are already better than marauders for every race except caldari, and have been for quite some time.
Zoe Israfil
#3334 - 2013-09-09 18:20:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Zoe Israfil
Zoe Israfil wrote:

The T2 resists will make them more viable for missioning level 4's (not really like you're going to need the tank with bastion but at least you have it). Their increased projection should help with bringing mission completion times down, especially if one gets really good at planning triangles. This alone should be a huge buff in the eyes of the high sec marauder-missioner. The T2 resists combined with bastion's local tank bonus also should make them small gang pvp viable / WH viable / anom-combatsignature viable. I think in retrospect the +30% resists were way too strong, and the current option provides plenty of tank for people to explore coupled with a cool idea (transforming is so cool... why ppl h8ting mini dreads that can go through hi-sec?). Furthermore the stationary/sieged dynamic will be a really neat change to PVP (small scale).

[Sorry for formatting this part is a quote from that Goon that's here a lot]

Except that T2 tank and no local-rep bonus on the hull mean that if you don't want to use Bastion you're getting an overall mission-tanking nerf on the Vargur and Paladin but a major buff on the Kronos and Golem due to how damage in missions is distributed.

For a small dissertation on this issue see my previous post way back here.[/quote]

[This is the end of that part that he said]

As a minnie pilot I actually agree. However, I personally think the bastion module/effect is the coolest thing since sliced cheese. I personally would not fly one of these without. I understand many people do not feel the same way. My previous writing was from the perspective that one would ALWAYS be using the bastion module. My current biggest reservation is currently to their mobility. I really wish there was a better way to control the jump range of the mjd. I really have been meaning to try find a way to control the range but it just seems like such a pain for those short/med gates (30 -50 k)
The Sinister
Interbellum
TURBOFEED OR GLORY
#3335 - 2013-09-09 18:26:07 UTC
Way I see it is that Bastion Module is a Death Sentence for the ship in PVP.

Wont be able to:
1. Move
2. Jump a gate
3. Dock
4. Be remotely assisted in any way! Really!

Plus now it dosnt give a bonus to resistances either REALLY!

All that for 1 full minute LOL

Quik everyone activate bastion now!
SUDDENLY A CYNO OPENS AND DREADNOUGHTS GET THEIR WISHES COME TRUE.

OH LOOK MARAUDERS SITTING DUCKS!!! Pew Pew DINNER is served.
Ersahi Kir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3336 - 2013-09-09 18:35:49 UTC
Ravasta Helugo wrote:
The issue with the "resists for rep" trade off is that it works as described for two ships, but two others (to include the Paladin) gain no resist bonus for their regionally prevalent rats to offset the 37.5% reduction in tank- resulting in the need to fit more modules to compensate. This reduces DPS, which reduces the amount of ISK you earn. This makes Pirate Battleships like the Nightmare that much more appealing, which defies the concept of a Tech 2 PvE focused Battleship.

Which is why the new marauders aren't suppose to be PvE focused battleships. Like every other ship in the game they're suppose to be ships that can be used in PvE, but giving them the PvE focus is what ruined them in the first place.

And seriously, if you can't 3 slot tank (4 w/bastion) amarr rats with the paladin you fail pretty hard at this game.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3337 - 2013-09-09 18:43:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
To quote the op
"We also believe that designing them for a very specific activity doesn't fit the emergent nature of EVE, and as such we wish to expand their use to PvP as well. Of course, their high price, low mobility will always ensure their role remains a niche one,"
Iome Ambraelle
Gallente Federation
#3338 - 2013-09-09 18:47:10 UTC
Ersahi Kir wrote:
Ravasta Helugo wrote:

Which is why the new marauders aren't suppose to be PvE focused battleships. Like every other ship in the game they're suppose to be ships that can be used in PvE, but giving them the PvE focus is what ruined them in the first place.

And seriously, if you can't 3 slot tank (4 w/bastion) amarr rats with the paladin you fail pretty hard at this game.

Under the version 2 changes only the deadspace modules provide enough repair potential to tank all missions outside of bastion, thus requiring the use of the bastion module. The benefit of the TQ version is that with the assistance of the local rep bonus on the hull, you could do this with a Tech 2 fit if you chose to.

Adding a deadspace repair module to a faction/pirate hull also allows them to tank all missions. So you wind up with equal tanking potential between faction, pirate, and marauder hulls while the faction and pirate hulls provide better raw DPS and equal or better damage application. Damage projection would be the only benefit of the marauder class over their faction and pirate counterparts. That would not even come close to making up for the difference in training time and ISK cost.

Zoe Israfil
#3339 - 2013-09-09 18:58:35 UTC
Iome Ambraelle wrote:
Ersahi Kir wrote:
Ravasta Helugo wrote:

Under the version 2 changes only the deadspace modules provide enough repair potential to tank all missions outside of bastion, thus requiring the use of the bastion module. The benefit of the TQ version is that with the assistance of the local rep bonus on the hull, you could do this with a Tech 2 fit if you chose to.

Adding a deadspace repair module to a faction/pirate hull also allows them to tank all missions. So you wind up with equal tanking potential between faction, pirate, and marauder hulls while the faction and pirate hulls provide better raw DPS and equal or better damage application. Damage projection would be the only benefit of the marauder class over their faction and pirate counterparts. That would not even come close to making up for the difference in training time and ISK cost.

But... they transform....

To me: worth it.

On a more serious note there will be no way that a faction battleship will out project a bastioned marauder, and even if they do, there are many rumors that blops/faction BS are on the chopping block next. IF faction BS's still remain better for missioning I would be highly suspicious of them retaining that crown for much longer.

Also I agree that while these new changes MIGHT take some of the "oomph" out of them as missioning ships, the increased tank/projection expands their use well beyond the current high sec lvl 4 paradigm.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3340 - 2013-09-09 19:02:00 UTC
Second, transformation is totally worth the isk/sp, bring it on