These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon] Marauder rebalancing

First post First post First post
Author
Gimme more Cynos
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3101 - 2013-09-07 17:11:14 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:

Generally they rely on lowering the incoming DPS before their tank fails through raw DPS and solid damage application.

*note to myself*: don't use the piwate next time...
Cade Windstalker
#3102 - 2013-09-07 17:16:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Cade Windstalker
Mournful Conciousness wrote:
Guys, the whole argument about tanking rats is moot.

A single rep domi can do it with a DC, EANMx2 and a RAH - by no means an optimal anti-rat resistance setup.

No so much when you're jumping into Worlds Collide or the last pocket of an Extravaganza.

Wolfgang Achari wrote:
With a proper T2 resist profile you can use normal reps more effectively than you can with the current rep amount bonus, because you're gaining an extra ~60% bonus in total resists. Giving a bonus to AAR's/ASB's gives players the option of having longer boosted reps. However, it doesn't make normal reps useless in PvP or PvE because you will still have the 60 second reload time to take into account. There's also the option to give a 5-7.5% bonus to reload time for boosted reps as well and it still wouldn't mean that using normal reps is a bad idea.

MBizon Osis wrote:
Cade Windstalker what am I missing here? Base resists for a Paladin are in game EM50 EX40 KIN34.3 THR35 and the T2 resists are Armor resists: 50% EM / 80% EX / 62.5% KIN / 35% THERM. The T2 seam a lot better or the same in the case of thermal. What's everyones the beef with the t2 resists over the ingame resists? Saying they are weaker now? Just trying to keep up here. Are they talking the loss of the 7.5% rep bonus compaired to T2 resists? Or in bastion mode whatever? And why not have the T2resists and the rep 7.5% bonus when not in siege mode. Bastion have it's own tanking bonus for the ship stats.

Okay, responding to both of these together since it comes down to the same problem.

This is a handy cheat sheet for pirate damage types, and this is a more thorough listing for all the various NPCs including faction navies. (please note, I do not advocate for the former since it says Blood Raiders use ECM but says nothing about Guristas)

A quick glance over either or both of these shows that every single NPC group in the game does anywhere between a little and a ton of thermal and/or kinetic damage. Many in-fact only deal thermal and kinetic damage or deal so much of either or both that resistances to anything else are a foot-note.

This means that any ships innately bonused to resist Thermal and Kinetic damage are at an advantage for mission running since the majority of factions deal thermal and/or kinetic damage, with only the Angels, Sansha (mission rats only), Blood Raiders, and high level Rogue Drones dealing significant amounts of other damage types. However it's worth noting that two out of the four of these, Sansha and Blood Raiders, deal almost half their damage as Thermal and the remaining two deal about 20% of theirs as Kinetic meaning that a bonus to either resist is helpful.

The Gallente and Caldari T2 hulls both get bonuses to Kinetic and Thermal with the Caldari getting more of a Thermal buff and the Gallente favoring Kinetic due to Caldari missiles but still gaining some thermal due to Railgun damage from some Caldari ships.

For contrast the Minmattar gain primarily EM with a small thermal buff and the Amarr gain Explosive and a little Kinetic damage.

Now lets look at the "damage to deal" column of these mission rats for why Amarr and Minmattar have a bit of a problem and then get back to the resists issue in a minute.

Assuming you're declining Empire Faction-kill missions we'll just be looking at pirate damage since factions pretty much mirror the associated pirate faction group.

Amarr lasers deal EM and Thermal and the best damage to deal against Blood Raiders and Sansha is EM and Thermal, so to maximize the effects of the Paladin's damage you're best off fighting in Amarr space. Unfortunately your resist bonus does absolutely nothing for you in this regard since these rats do no Explosive or Kinetic damage. You're doing great against Rogue Drones but these missions are randomly scattered to all empire agents, can't be blitzed effectively in most cases, and don't provide loot and only provide mediocre salvage (the two main reasons to use a Marauder).

For Minmattar you get a bonus to EM damage and a small bonus to Thermal. Unfortunately your racial rats, the Angels, deal primarily Explosive with a little Kinetic and that EM bonus is only going to help you on one particular mission with Battleship that slings EM torpedoes. (I'm fairly certain this guy is responsible for all 5% of the Angel's EM profile). The secondary rats for the Minmattar are Serpentis but you're still only getting a small bonus to Thermal resists and half their damage is Kinetic anyway. If you want to move and mission against someone else you can at least make better use of the Thermal bonus and select damage type to some extent, but you're still coming up short compared to fighting someone you inherently do well against for damage and your T2 ammo is forced Explosive/Kinetic.

The Gallente and Caldari on the other hand can make use of at least half their resist bonus anywhere and all of it against Guristas, Serpentis, EoM, and perhaps most importantly Mercenaries.

Overall this just leaves the Kronos and Golem in a vastly better position than the Vargur and Paladin for mission tanking. They can fit less tank and have to make zero trade-offs to do so in who they fight when looking at effective tanking vs effective damage dealing. More importantly it least them in a worse position than they are in on TQ currently for these situations.
Jonas Valence
Subsidy H.R.S.
Xagenic Freymvork
#3103 - 2013-09-07 17:20:37 UTC
Didnt notice this in the posts, but I had a question about the Bastion Module. The dev post states an immunity to ewar. Is this across the board, as ive been reading up on HICs and noticed the scripted disruptor bypasses ewar immunity.
CanI haveyourstuff
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#3104 - 2013-09-07 17:22:51 UTC
Golem FIX

250% torp max velocity, -250% flight time.
100% cruise max velocity, -100% flight time.

Suddenly this ship got fixed and is now useful for incursions and a bit more in pvp.

golem does not need any explo rad/vel buff, it is good as is...
Dave Stark
#3105 - 2013-09-07 17:25:11 UTC
CanI haveyourstuff wrote:
Golem FIX

Suddenly this ship got fixed and is now useful for incursions and a bit more in pvp.

i'm not convinced you understand how percentages work....

torps with negative flight time, and cruise missiles with 0 flight time?
CanI haveyourstuff
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#3106 - 2013-09-07 17:26:28 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
CanI haveyourstuff wrote:
Golem FIX

i'm not convinced you understand how percentages work....

torps with negative flight time, and cruise missiles with 0 flight time?

anyway my point is that range gets to be same as now.
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3107 - 2013-09-07 17:39:17 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Guys, the whole argument about tanking rats is moot.

A single rep domi can do it with a DC, EANMx2 and a RAH - by no means an optimal anti-rat resistance setup.

No so much when you're jumping into Worlds Collide or the last pocket of an Extravaganza.

Haven't tried the last room of AA recently, but certainly world's collide is very easy with that domi. I did it just after the odyessy 1.1 release to try out the effects of the LAR buff.

It's helpful to fit medium blasters for WC, or a MJD. As a side note, I found it's better to stick 250mm rails on a domi than 350mm rails - it gives about the same DPS but leaves a lot more flexibility for fitting.

large rails are looking a bit crap compared to meds now...

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Sal Awat
Emphatically Unaffiliated Industries
#3108 - 2013-09-07 17:43:06 UTC
I've sort of been lurking in the thread, and there seems to be a definite shape forming around the space people are expecting the Marauder to fill.

The predominant use cases revolve as I see it around the following:

A) Mobility: Not in the can turn on a dime sense, but more in the realm of "can find a way to get just about anywhere when flown right". You pop up, you do your thing, and you've got the tools to make yourself scarce once you've scored hot, sweet spoils.

B)Staying power: This is a ship that asks for no quarter, and expects none to be given. It wasn't built with the mindset that "I'm going to have support!" It was built with "I'm alone, in unfriendly territory, and I'm going to eke every last second I possibly can out of it."

C)Entrenchability: This is a ship that is expected to have the odds heavily weighed against it (i.e. bastion module), and as a result has been designed with the goal in mind of being able to fight in the worst of circumstances (immobile, jammed, scrammed) and deal as much damage as possible until either honorabru death or victorious tactical retreat is possible.

With those in mind, the only thing that's really sticking out as non sequitur to me is the web bonuses. While I understand the PvP applications of them, I see it as just taking away from the package in a degree. I could sort of see it as a web range bonus, but the problem is more that the hull's bonuses are making a very great number of decisions for you. In a way. It says

"Hey! Put tractor beams on me!
...and a Bastion Module!
Target painter too! (in the Golem's case)
And a Webber!"

But what this kinda makes me thinks of is the Marauder should be slotted to fill a Tech 3 slot? I know that for the Winter expansion, that may be asking for a bit much. But the sheer amount that's trying to be baked into a Tech 2 hull just SCREAMS for tech 3 customization.

So for the interim, I say consider dropping the webber bonus on the hulls that it doesn't really fit on (Golem for instance) and tailor the bonuses along the three lines above.

And consider at some point, moving the Marauder from a Tech 2 specialization to full on Tech 3 battleship deliciousness.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3109 - 2013-09-07 17:43:44 UTC
Jonas Valence wrote:
Didnt notice this in the posts, but I had a question about the Bastion Module. The dev post states an immunity to ewar. Is this across the board, as ive been reading up on HICs and noticed the scripted disruptor bypasses ewar immunity.

That's worth an answer.
Cade Windstalker
#3110 - 2013-09-07 17:46:30 UTC
Jonas Valence wrote:

Doesn't matter, you can't warp or move while you're in Bastion anyway so a scripted HIC isn't doing anything to you that you aren't already doing to yourself.

Haven't tried the last room of AA recently, but certainly world's collide is very easy with that domi. I did it just after the odyessy 1.1 release to try out the effects of the LAR buff.

It's helpful to fit medium blasters for WC, or a MJD. As a side note, I found it's better to stick 250mm rails on a domi than 350mm rails - it gives about the same DPS but leaves a lot more flexibility for fitting.

large rails are looking a bit crap compared to meds now...

Yes, but you're tanking with a MJD more than you are with the repair module. Part of my point about having a large tanking bonus should be the option to actually use it to tank as opposed to being forced to jump off at range where the bonus is only needed a very tiny fraction of the time and generally because you screwed up somewhere.
MBizon Osis
Doomheim
#3111 - 2013-09-07 17:48:46 UTC
Base resists for a Paladin are in game EM50 EX40 KIN34.3 THR35 and the T2 resists are Armor resists: 50% EM / 80% EX / 62.5% KIN / 35% THERM. Not seing a down side to the T2 resists here.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#3112 - 2013-09-07 17:48:54 UTC
Jake Warbird wrote:
If I could throw away 1bil for a pvp hull, marauders would be the last place I would do that.

With the proposed stats it would be just about the best value you could get for your bil.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Wolfgang Achari
Morior Invictus.
#3113 - 2013-09-07 17:49:26 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Wolfgang Achari wrote:
With a proper T2 resist profile you can use normal reps more effectively than you can with the current rep amount bonus, because you're gaining an extra ~60% bonus in total resists. Giving a bonus to AAR's/ASB's gives players the option of having longer boosted reps. However, it doesn't make normal reps useless in PvP or PvE because you will still have the 60 second reload time to take into account. There's also the option to give a 5-7.5% bonus to reload time for boosted reps as well and it still wouldn't mean that using normal reps is a bad idea.

MBizon Osis wrote:
Cade Windstalker what am I missing here? Base resists for a Paladin are in game EM50 EX40 KIN34.3 THR35 and the T2 resists are Armor resists: 50% EM / 80% EX / 62.5% KIN / 35% THERM. The T2 seam a lot better or the same in the case of thermal. What's everyones the beef with the t2 resists over the ingame resists? Saying they are weaker now? Just trying to keep up here. Are they talking the loss of the 7.5% rep bonus compaired to T2 resists? Or in bastion mode whatever? And why not have the T2resists and the rep 7.5% bonus when not in siege mode. Bastion have it's own tanking bonus for the ship stats.

Okay, responding to both of these together since it comes down to the same problem.
[/u]

From the OP...

CCP Ytterbium wrote:
We also believe that designing them for a very specific activity doesn't fit the emergent nature of EVE, and as such we wish to expand their use to PvP as well. Of course, their high price, low mobility will always ensure their role remains a niche one, but we at least can make that purpose more appealing than a simple "jam me now and forever" target dummy.

It's not unreasonable to expect that in some areas the ship will be nerfed slightly so that the overall design goal can be reached. Especially considering that this design goal is to make them more viable in PvP. Likewise, there is no reason why the ships have to use the standard racial T2 resist profile either.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#3114 - 2013-09-07 17:55:28 UTC
Zillu Ban wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

Bastion doesn't have a damage bonus, why would you use these for structure bashing?

Bad reading comprehension?

Sorry, I may not have made it clear. I was saying that the Marauder would have a niche so small people most likely won't even bother training for them. I was comparing it to the dread, which has the 2 purposes of structure and capital bashing.

Yes because a ship with 3-400k ehp, t2 res, 3xMJD and four utility highs clearly won't be used by anyone..............

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Cade Windstalker
#3115 - 2013-09-07 17:56:34 UTC
Sal Awat wrote:
I've sort of been lurking in the thread, and there seems to be a definite shape forming around the space people are expecting the Marauder to fill.

The predominant use cases revolve as I see it around the following:

A) Mobility: Not in the can turn on a dime sense, but more in the realm of "can find a way to get just about anywhere when flown right". You pop up, you do your thing, and you've got the tools to make yourself scarce once you've scored hot, sweet spoils.

B)Staying power: This is a ship that asks for no quarter, and expects none to be given. It wasn't built with the mindset that "I'm going to have support!" It was built with "I'm alone, in unfriendly territory, and I'm going to eke every last second I possibly can out of it."

C)Entrenchability: This is a ship that is expected to have the odds heavily weighed against it (i.e. bastion module), and as a result has been designed with the goal in mind of being able to fight in the worst of circumstances (immobile, jammed, scrammed) and deal as much damage as possible until either honorabru death or victorious tactical retreat is possible.

With those in mind, the only thing that's really sticking out as non sequitur to me is the web bonuses. While I understand the PvP applications of them, I see it as just taking away from the package in a degree. I could sort of see it as a web range bonus, but the problem is more that the hull's bonuses are making a very great number of decisions for you. In a way. It says

"Hey! Put tractor beams on me!
...and a Bastion Module!
Target painter too! (in the Golem's case)
And a Webber!"

But what this kinda makes me thinks of is the Marauder should be slotted to fill a Tech 3 slot? I know that for the Winter expansion, that may be asking for a bit much. But the sheer amount that's trying to be baked into a Tech 2 hull just SCREAMS for tech 3 customization.

So for the interim, I say consider dropping the webber bonus on the hulls that it doesn't really fit on (Golem for instance) and tailor the bonuses along the three lines above.

And consider at some point, moving the Marauder from a Tech 2 specialization to full on Tech 3 battleship deliciousness.

I agree mostly with your points about the hull making a few too many fitting decisions for you, also about the web bonus but for slightly different reasons (which I have stated enough times already).

I also roughly agree that you are correct about what various separate groups seem to want the hull to be. That said, I don't think they're all going to come away happy.

For a start the odds of a T2 Battleship hull being deployed without any support in a PvP environment are monstrously small. This isn't to say it won't ever happen, this is to point out that the hull would likely have to be ridiculously over-powered in almost every respect in order for this to be seen as a practical option for any statistically meaningful number of pilots, let alone the average Joe-Lowsec PvPer.

You are also forgetting that this is a mission ship currently first and foremost and to remove that capability from it would be a slap in the face of everyone who's already trained to use the ship for that purpose (I wouldn't say it's much of a stretch to say that this is the majority of pilots currently flying these ships)

I also recall either Soundwave or another designer saying when the T3s were released that they were never going to do a T3 Battleship. Personally, with where T3 Cruisers stand right now I hope they stick to this. Maybe after a rebalance of the existing T3s but as things stand that would be horrifically imbalanced.
Cade Windstalker
#3116 - 2013-09-07 18:05:08 UTC
MBizon Osis wrote:
Base resists for a Paladin are in game EM50 EX40 KIN34.3 THR35 and the T2 resists are Armor resists: 50% EM / 80% EX / 62.5% KIN / 35% THERM. Not seing a down side to the T2 resists here.

For PvP sure, the problem is that these are primarily PvE ships at the moment...

Wolfgang Achari wrote:
It's not unreasonable to expect that in some areas the ship will be nerfed slightly so that the overall design goal can be reached. Especially considering that this design goal is to make them more viable in PvP. Likewise, there is no reason why the ships have to use the standard racial T2 resist profile either.

and making them less viable for PvE than Navy or Pirate battleships would shoot their primary competency in the foot.

I certainly agree with Ytterbium that designing for a specific niche is not good way to design for an emergent game like Eve. However, it's also important not to invalidate months of training time when there are available solutions that meet the stated design goals without doing so.

I am not arguing against T2 resists on the ships, though I am a little worried about the potential EHP values such resists could provide, I am saying that T2 resists do not replace the local repair bonus if your intent with the ships is any sort of Mission or Scan-Site based PvE activity.

Yes, Bastion provides an excellent local repair bonus, but I would prefer not to see the hulls inextricably tied to the module the same way Dreadnaughts are tied to their Siege Module. I'd rather be given a choice other than "Fit Bastion for Missions" or "Train a pirate battleship" Ugh
Warlord Cybrid
No Fuhks Given
#3117 - 2013-09-07 18:06:50 UTC
Spc One wrote:
Warlord Cybrid wrote:
As it stands right now i get almost double the amount of DPS with my skills vs being in a marauder.

You're doing exactly the same dps in marauder as in t-1 battleship.
Paladin: 4 turrets *100% = 8 turrets + 25% = 10 turrets
Abaddon: 8 turrets + 25% = 10 turrets

Kronos: 4 turrets *100% = 8 turrets + 25% = 10 turrets
Hyperion: 8 turrets + 25% = 10 turrets

Caldari navy raven: 8 launchers
Golem: 4 * 100% = 8 launchers

Vargur: 4 * 100% = 8 + 25%rof = 10.664
Maelstrom: 8 + 25%rof = 10.664

You see you do the same damage as t-1 battleship.

Yes, now tell me why i should buy a marauder since you answered it yourself. LOL!

Again you just pointed out that navy ships while less SP intensive are still performing the same as a skill intensive ship. :)

Why would i pay 400-500mil more for the same effect? I rather put that towards a second navy ship of another race and add some flavor to my gameplay.

Cade Windstalker
#3118 - 2013-09-07 18:10:01 UTC
Warlord Cybrid wrote:
Yes, now tell me why i should buy a marauder since you answered it yourself. LOL!

Again you just pointed out that navy ships while less SP intensive are still performing the same as a skill intensive ship. :)

Why would i pay 400-500mil more for the same effect? I rather put that towards a second navy ship of another race and add some flavor to my gameplay.

Because raw DPS isn't everything. How effectively you can apply that DPS often matters more than the total DPS number. For reference see trying to swat an ABing cruiser in a Battleship Roll
Warlord Cybrid
No Fuhks Given
#3119 - 2013-09-07 18:13:18 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Warlord Cybrid wrote:

Because raw DPS isn't everything. How effectively you can apply that DPS often matters more than the total DPS number. For reference see trying to swat an ABing cruiser in a Battleship Roll

luckily for me my gf plays a very good rapier pilot so i guess i must be spoiled in that department. again i rather lose a navy ship than a mara :) but i prefer bang for buck since i rather stay in the game longer than have to ragequit over isk issues.
Cade Windstalker
#3120 - 2013-09-07 18:18:21 UTC
Warlord Cybrid wrote:
luckily for me my gf plays a very good rapier pilot so i guess i must be spoiled in that department. again i rather lose a navy ship than a mara :) but i prefer bang for buck since i rather stay in the game longer than have to ragequit over isk issues.

I sort of assumed you were talking about PvE. Most people don't even take Navy Battleships into PvP