These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Someone has a 'little' Napoleon complex..

First post
Author
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#41 - 2013-08-28 19:48:59 UTC
An amusing alliance description, to be sure.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#42 - 2013-08-28 19:56:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
Japanese proverb: "When you're away from home, you have no shame."
Ethiopian proverb: "If there is no fear of shame, there is no honor."
American TV commercial: "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."

In other words, if nobody that matters is watching, people feel free to let their inner Godzilla loose. Whether or not they actually do that is a matter of personal choice. Or maybe a matter of how big or small their inner Godzilla is. Or how much control they have over it.

Of course, an online society also forms its own social rules. The Godzillas collectively form a set of social/behavior expectations, with rewards and punishments for those who conform and those who don't. Say, some criteria for earning prestige within the community, or some behavior that is considered unacceptably dorkish within the community. Poor Godzilla can never be 100% free, not forever at least.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#43 - 2013-08-28 19:57:01 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

To compare the goon leader to Napoleon is probably false. I liken him to be more like the boss from "Office Space" crossed with General Buck Turgidson from "Doctor Strangelove".

A classic
Telegram Sam
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2013-08-28 20:00:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
baltec1 wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

To compare the goon leader to Napoleon is probably false. I liken him to be more like the boss from "Office Space" crossed with General Buck Turgidson from "Doctor Strangelove".

A classic

Arrgh, my epilepsy...!
Zappity
Kurved Trading
#45 - 2013-08-28 21:33:39 UTC
"What my enemies call a general peace is my destruction. What I call peace is merely the rearmament of my enemies."

Renting, huh?

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#46 - 2013-08-28 22:30:24 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Hrm... Well, I think people who gank know that ganking is considered wrong by society in game terms, but chose to enjoy doing it anyways. Nothing wrong with that.

If you don't realize it is wrong, then you must get confused everytime concord shoots you.

are you literally twelve

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#47 - 2013-08-28 22:37:05 UTC
Andski wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Hrm... Well, I think people who gank know that ganking is considered wrong by society in game terms, but chose to enjoy doing it anyways. Nothing wrong with that.

If you don't realize it is wrong, then you must get confused everytime concord shoots you.

are you literally twelve

No, but I'm glad I got you to take the time to post that.

While we are at it... Could I entertain you to explain in detail on why you think I am very young? It would make my day.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#48 - 2013-08-28 22:37:37 UTC
Andski wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:

are you literally twelve

Is that not allowed in eve online?

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#49 - 2013-08-28 22:50:08 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:

While we are at it... Could I entertain you to explain in detail on why you think I am very young? It would make my day.

because you actually give a crap about ~morality~ in a video game

twelve or otherwise, you're playing the wrong game

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#50 - 2013-08-28 22:54:46 UTC
ACE McFACE wrote:
KuroVolt wrote:
Do you even understand what Napoleon Complex means?

Isn't it where your brain tells you to wear one of those big hats and conquer Italy even though its socially unacceptable to do so?

Going to Fountain was The Mittani's ... last mistake :smugGoblin:

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#51 - 2013-08-28 23:09:18 UTC
Grrrrrr Goons thread# 372378.

Technically if you count all the stealth Grrrrrr Goons threads its like 429877.

If you count all the threads made by people who were ganked in highsec and blamed the goons eventhough goons had nothing to do with it, then its like 894122.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#52 - 2013-08-28 23:36:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Tardbar
Andski wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:

because you actually give a crap about ~morality~ in a video game

twelve or otherwise, you're playing the wrong game

I'm glad I continue to encourage to get you to post.

But I don't understand. My signature is making the same point as the description of the corporation in question which points out that in these games people release emotions and behaviors they wouldn't otherwise do. Are you saying Goons are a bunch of 12 year olds as well.

And from my understanding 12 year olds do not sit around and ponder the quandary of morality.

Certainly those with more refined aptitudes towards pondering the deeper meanings of life think about these things.

And to deny that there isn't any morality in playing a open ended game is just as silly as saying Fable has no morality choice between good and evil gameplay choices.

Certainly this morality isn't on the same par as going out in real life and stealing grandma's social security money, but its probaly on the same morality level as a game of poker in Las Vegas.

Every action you take in life has some moral value in it. Some good, some bad, and course plenty of action with neutral morality as it caues neither harm nor good to others (which is an active choice).

The same applies to social interactions with video games. Its not serious business morality, but its still morality.

And if you like doing nasty things to people in game, it means you sort of like doing nasty things.

I do nasty things to people and I'm not ashamed to say that I do and my in game morality can be considered sort of evil. Why can't you? Or does it bother you that you are a virtual sinner?

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

mechtech
Ice Liberation Army
#53 - 2013-08-28 23:43:58 UTC
That's an intelligent and well thought out statement, and one I've had debates about.

It's a very interesting and controversial psychological question about human behavior.
Zappity
Kurved Trading
#54 - 2013-08-29 00:10:02 UTC
I have never understood this debate.

That guy who raged at you in local after you scammed him - were his 'tears' real or was he pretending? Of course they were real, otherwise you wouldn't enjoy doing it.

You negatively affected somebody's emotions. To say 'it doesn't matter because it's not real' is a transparently juvenile defensive position from someone who is uncomfortable with their actions.

EVE is such a good 'game' because it evokes real emotional responses to loss and therefore gain. That's why many of us play it.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Rekon X
Doomheim
#55 - 2013-08-29 00:15:33 UTC
It means he's short.

Definition of goon - a stupid person Those who can do, those who can't spew

Corpora Dei
Red Slice Enterprise
#56 - 2013-08-29 00:58:59 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
Grrrrrr Goons thread# 372378.

Technically if you count all the stealth Grrrrrr Goons threads its like 429877.

If you count all the threads made by people who were ganked in highsec and blamed the goons eventhough goons had nothing to do with it, then its like 894122.

I wasn't GRRRRing, I like goons, I even got to enjoy Boat's crazy rants about his diets, classes, etc, made a nice isky on his awox missions. Mittens certainly has a certain eloquence about his speeches, obviously moves possibly the largest navies this game has ever seen. So did Napoleon =)
Rhes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#57 - 2013-08-29 01:50:01 UTC
Zappity wrote:
I have never understood this debate.

That guy who raged at you in local after you scammed him - were his 'tears' real or was he pretending? Of course they were real, otherwise you wouldn't enjoy doing it.

You negatively affected somebody's emotions. To say 'it doesn't matter because it's not real' is a transparently juvenile defensive position from someone who is uncomfortable with their actions.

EVE is such a good 'game' because it evokes real emotional responses to loss and therefore gain. That's why many of us play it.

People shouldn't play video games that make them feel sad.

EVE is a game about spaceships and there's an enormous amount of work to do on the in-space gameplay before players (or developers) are ready to sacrifice it for a totally new type of gameplay - CCP Rise

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#58 - 2013-08-29 02:05:30 UTC
Zappity wrote:

Damn right.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#59 - 2013-08-29 02:15:20 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Rhivre wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Why do people always compare dear leader with the wrong dictator in these grr goons threads?

I would have thought the facial fuzz was a bit of a hint, at the very least.

DBRB could possibly be napoleon though.

no, we need someone who enjoys grinding down structures, has a story to tell and loses large numbers of men. Perhaps a WW1 general.

DBRB would invade Russia in winter.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#60 - 2013-08-29 02:56:52 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Rhivre wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Why do people always compare dear leader with the wrong dictator in these grr goons threads?

I would have thought the facial fuzz was a bit of a hint, at the very least.

DBRB could possibly be napoleon though.

no, we need someone who enjoys grinding down structures, has a story to tell and loses large numbers of men. Perhaps a WW1 general.

DBRB would invade Russia in winter.

Whilst playing with matches.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc