These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey 1.1] Command Ships

First post First post First post
Author
Eldrith Jhandar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1221 - 2013-08-10 21:22:55 UTC
Veshta Yoshida wrote:
Eldrith Jhandar wrote:
...Edit: you as in you and the others, and if this came off as mean spirited sorry, it is not meant as such

Its a public forum where grown ups get hot-n-bothered about spaceships like pre-teen boys who see what's on TV after mommy and daddy has gone to bed.

We are on page 60+ with Devs probably trying to find shelter (somewhere halfway through) from the deluge of critique that has pelted this thread, CC's are a about as big a deal as it can get as they are being set up to reclaim the link crown and links are going to be joining the melee .. and .. we have been promised that they would all have teeth should the player choose to bare them.

Balance stickies are historically derailed around page 50 when people run out of 100% on topic feedback and just sort of drift away, we know the Devs are monitoring them so they are WMD's in the war to get heard. All my 100% OT was concluded in the first fifteen pages or so, with some good ideas/arguments involved if I dare say so myself Big smile

Fair enough, you wernt completely off topic and we have to wait for the debs to respond before we can flame them more...
:p
Carry on
Goldensaver
Maraque Enterprises
Just let it happen
#1222 - 2013-08-10 22:48:28 UTC
Now that I think about it they'be got a right mess to deal with. As things are they want them to be able to have teeth... for the right sacrifices. But as it is, for fleet work you need to do full brick and links. At the fitting cost of links this basically means that if you give them enough fitting for a massive brick AND links, they've got space for a ridiculous tank and full tank. If they don't give them that space they're hopeless for fleets.

First thing I might do is reduce the fitting cost of links further, and remove another high for a mid/low. For a combat ship you gimp yourself flying links in damage, not fitting. You will still be able to contribute, just not as much in damage, more in utility/support. This also means that pure combat CS's won't have as many utility slots with all their power.

Next you reduce the fitting of CS's. Let them fit full tank with poor damage or full damage with a poor tank. This also leaves open the option of fitting it midway. But because you reduced the fitting of Links, you don't have to heavily gimp your tank to fit them.

Next: more tanking bonuses. Each should get a pure buffer bonus (10% HP per level or something) and a racial tank bonus (active or resists). I know this gives Amarr and Caldari the advantage for pure buffer, but again I believe that Gallente and Minmatar should be compensated in speed and sig. Still inferior, but now they have a niche, especially with their skirmish links. Change the bonuses around or just plain give them more so that they can fit for current damage numbers if they go full tank, but they will do so at the cost of links and utility highs.

Who knows, maybe I just don't get it, but I would like all of them to have options when it comes to tank or gank, support or damage. Making fitting sacrifices to fill a role.
Zane Ziebold
Repo Industries
#1223 - 2013-08-10 22:48:38 UTC
Ok what up with the split weapon types now, it goes against some of the makers of the ships.
Like with the Astarte Duvolle Labs(see below) makes the blue prints and they favors blasters its not Roden Shipyards that use missiles.
I am just asked why the change all of a sudden.

Developer: Duvolle Labs

Duvolle Labs manufactures sturdy ships with a good mix of offensive and defensive capabilities. Since the company is one of New Eden's foremost manufacturers of particle blasters, its ships tend to favor turrets and thus have somewhat higher power output than normal.

Developer: Roden Shipyards

Unlike most Gallente ship manufacturers, Roden Shipyards tend to favor missiles over drones and their ships generally possess stronger armor. Their electronics capacity, however, tends to be weaker than ships from their competitors.
Goldensaver
Maraque Enterprises
Just let it happen
#1224 - 2013-08-10 22:54:45 UTC
Zane Ziebold wrote:
Ok what up with the split weapon types now, it goes against some of the makers of the ships.
Like with the Astarte Duvolle Labs(see below) makes the blue prints and they favors blasters its not Roden Shipyards that use missiles.
I am just asked why the change all of a sudden.

Developer: Duvolle Labs

Duvolle Labs manufactures sturdy ships with a good mix of offensive and defensive capabilities. Since the company is one of New Eden's foremost manufacturers of particle blasters, its ships tend to favor turrets and thus have somewhat higher power output than normal.

Developer: Roden Shipyards

Unlike most Gallente ship manufacturers, Roden Shipyards tend to favor missiles over drones and their ships generally possess stronger armor. Their electronics capacity, however, tends to be weaker than ships from their competitors.

What split weapons? It's a blaster boat through and through with 2 utility slots and 2 completely unbonused launcher slots should you decide to use them to augment your damage.
Auferre
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1225 - 2013-08-11 01:35:42 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Maximus Andendare wrote:
Are you still happy with the Damnation's dual tank bonuses and how that effectively makes the Damnation the only viable fleet command ship?

I considered dropping the armor hp bonus from the Damnation, but in the end I think it's ok for it to have a strong identity, even if that identity makes it more popular than the others for large fleet warfare.

This is a real head-scratcher. Isn't fleet warfare the entire point of command ships? Isn't the goal of rebalancing to make most (if not all) ships useful in their intended role?

Why would you be okay with only one ship in an entire class being popular for that role?
Feffri
Dead's Prostitutes
The Initiative.
#1226 - 2013-08-11 04:13:32 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
so... the command ship model change has been upgraded from something you were just considering, to a thing?

video

dev blog

Please, Please, Please this
Kara Vix
Perkone
Caldari State
#1227 - 2013-08-11 06:55:58 UTC
Feffri wrote:
Rain6637 wrote:
so... the command ship model change has been upgraded from something you were just considering, to a thing?

video

dev blog

Please, Please, Please this

Meh, if my precious nighthawk changes to look like a bloody drake that's the tipping point. CCP really lacks in the art department and if they change one of the nicest looking ships into one of the most boring, well I guess it would be predictable. If you change them at all change them to something unique.
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#1228 - 2013-08-11 07:11:59 UTC
How about giving the vulture, claymore, and eos a 10% armo shield bonus (while removing the local rep/resist bonus) and taking away the resist bonus on the damnation. Then have the sleipner and Astarte keep their local reps and the nighthawk and absolution keep their resist bonuses. Good or bad?
Alkyria Decile
Delstar Corp
#1229 - 2013-08-11 08:04:17 UTC
Rowells wrote:
How about giving the vulture, claymore, and eos a 10% armo shield bonus (while removing the local rep/resist bonus) and taking away the resist bonus on the damnation. Then have the sleipner and Astarte keep their local reps and the nighthawk and absolution keep their resist bonuses. Good or bad?

Personally I would give the vulture or the nighthawk a 10% shield bonus per level then give one of the minmatar and one of the gallente command ships a resistance bonus per level. Then you end up with one super tanky/ehp command ship for armor and one for shield, you have your choice of 4 resist bonus only command ships (2 armor 2 shield) for medium to small fights and 2 with rep bonus only for small gangs.

But at the very least shield needs a blob ship like the absolution is for armor.
Teri Cox
Doomheim
#1230 - 2013-08-11 08:36:07 UTC
What about giving the Vulture the following bonuses:

Battlecruiser skill:
10% to medium hybrid damage (was optimal range)
4% to all shield resist

command ships skill:
10% to medium hybrid damage
10% to medium hybrid falloff (was optimal range)

i think, the command ships arent realy balanced (vulture has 7.5 effective turrets, while the sleipnir has 11.25) i propose, to give the absolution, astarte and vulture 11.25 effective turrets.

the astarte should get 2x 10% damage (one from BC skill and one from CS skill)
the absolution should loose his capicator use bonus and get a 10% damage bonus from bc and a 10% from CS skill. The ROF bonus can get replaced with something useful (optimal range, tracking...)

about the claymore:
this ship is good, but a dual 5% rof bonus means very high ammo consum. I suggest to replace one of these rof bonuses to a 10% missile damage bonus.

the damnation: the missile velocity bonus should get replaced with a 5% rof bonus.

The eos: i dont believe, that the tracking bonus is usefull, a drone control radius bonus would be great (similar to the ishtar)
Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#1231 - 2013-08-11 09:11:02 UTC
Auferre wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Maximus Andendare wrote:
Are you still happy with the Damnation's dual tank bonuses and how that effectively makes the Damnation the only viable fleet command ship?

I considered dropping the armor hp bonus from the Damnation, but in the end I think it's ok for it to have a strong identity, even if that identity makes it more popular than the others for large fleet warfare.

This is a real head-scratcher. Isn't fleet warfare the entire point of command ships? Isn't the goal of rebalancing to make most (if not all) ships useful in their intended role?

Why would you be okay with only one ship in an entire class being popular for that role?

Fleetwarfare is the thing for damnation/vulture. Claymore appears to be well usable as an active tanked nano-cs (two skirmish links and you still got a 700dps tank sustained for a long time without issue - talking of 3-4 man gangs)

Eos will be an excellent frontline-ship for wormhole people, as fights happen directly on wormholes and smartbombs can't (in most cases) even be activated around your heavy drones. Still got 170k EHP, which is terrible compared to the 270k+ of a damnation, but equalized by having some 700 formidable dps.

Astarte/Sleipnir/Abso seem to - even though they can link - be rather premier versatile vessels, all of them having grid/cpu/cap to run dual-med-neuts along with secondhighest or highest tier SR weapons, while also feauturing a 100k+ EHP buffer.

The Nighthawk seems to be slightly less tanky compared to a vulture, however: nighthawk dps on paper seem extremely strong, and at least I'm assuming they'll be extremely strong apllied to any vessel I normally run into (Cruisers upwards) As a bonus, nighthawk can run duallinks

Soooo.... you can use every single ship as a linkship to bring on grid, but their fields of expertise vary extremely. The bigger the fight becomes, the more damnation. The smaller it is, the more it feautures the claymore in it's runaway-style or the eos for it's insane dps next to 3 links.

Just waiting for the first triplerep-Eos to show the world what a myrmidon always wanted to be.
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#1232 - 2013-08-11 09:24:37 UTC
Lloyd Roses wrote:

Just waiting for the first triplerep-Eos to show the world what a myrmidon always wanted to be.

You can't really triple rep a 4 midslot ship unless you want to drop some form of tackle, or prop for the second cap booster.

Eos will probably be better with 2x reps and a ddm.
Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#1233 - 2013-08-11 09:37:52 UTC
Jerick Ludhowe wrote:
Lloyd Roses wrote:

You can't really triple rep a 4 midslot ship unless you want to drop some form of tackle, or prop for the second cap booster.

Eos will probably be better with 2x reps and a ddm.

From what I've trying to fit up, you can run triplerep and go with scram only (which, as you stated indirectly) won't let you hold sufficient tackle on one target it may be, however the tracking bonus to heavies might at least solve parts of that question. Eos got quite the beefy capacitor, so unless neuted, you can reliably run the two MAR IIs constantly under occasional cycling of your cap booster.

The way more conservative solution (imo) is the 3link eos with a 1600 plate and 2 med reppers, 1 cap booster. For engaging a small gang, just gives you the right ratio of existing buffer and prolongued life :) Or ~130k EHP and 1.2k/s, linking itself. Niche!

Also quite nice is the 2 link-thingy with 4 ions, and no active tank whatsoever, leaving you at just short over 1000dps using ogres/antimatter with still unchanged buffer. No matter how you look at it, the eos is just gorgeuos.
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#1234 - 2013-08-11 09:45:49 UTC
This thread is going to get a lot more pages and flames once they finally put these ships on sisi
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#1235 - 2013-08-11 09:57:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Jerick Ludhowe
Lloyd Roses wrote:

No matter how you look at it, the eos is just gorgeuos.

I'm not going to argue that it's "god awful" but the currently proposed eos really serves no point when compared to the astarte.

The two ships are even more similar than the myrmidon and brutix.

Imo, the eos needs to get it's missing slot back in the form of a 5th mid. The "smallish" drone bay, and lack of super dmg bonuses as seen on other commands does not justify the loss of a slot as seen on most other drone ships.
Doed
Tyrfing Industries
#1236 - 2013-08-11 10:04:14 UTC
No to model changes, these ships are iconic.

Vulture dps is abysmal, this needs fixing in some way or form
Battlingbean
Wings of the Dark Portal
#1237 - 2013-08-11 11:24:38 UTC
Lloyd Roses wrote:
Auferre wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Maximus Andendare wrote:

Eos will be an excellent frontline-ship for wormhole people, as fights happen directly on wormholes and smartbombs can't (in most cases) even be activated around your heavy drones. Still got 170k EHP, which is terrible compared to the 270k+ of a damnation, but equalized by having some 700 formidable dps.

Lloyd Roses wrote:
Just from toying around, Abso can run with a plate, 2 hardeners, EANM and DCU, 2 heatsinks, scram, mwd, med cap booster, 5 HPL and 2 med neuts, one ancil rig and a trimark. It's nice with some 180k EHP linked, 680dps using conflag and dualmed-neut. :|

Also, more than 5 mids on a nighthawk would be highly broken. 5 mids is a good thing to keep the ship on the ground, given it's boni. It is ridiculously tanky already. And it's not like you really need to sacrifice a mid for tackle on a linkship.

7/7/3 would be an inherent godmode. I strognly disagree of a 150k EHP brawler with full tackle and 650dps.

Right so the EOS can have 700dps and 170ehp and be an "excellent frontline-ship" but a theoretical 7/7/3 Nighthawk with 650 dps and 150 EHP is "godmode".
Your full of bias.
Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#1238 - 2013-08-11 11:48:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Lloyd Roses
Battlingbean wrote:

Right so the EOS can have 700dps and 170ehp and be an "excellent frontline-ship" but a theoretical 7/7/3 Nighthawk with 650 dps and 150 EHP is "godmode".
Your full of bias.

Don't mess up the quoting. A 7/5/5 nighthawk has 150k EHP+ (179k to be precise, using a vanilla fit linking itself including siege link) A 7/7/3 nighthawk would push that tank up a lot and also push it's passive recharge to the 600s, being full buffer fit (it's 400ish right now) - which would result in a solo-pwnmachine.

But yeah, if you think that 200k+ EHP, 700dps and a passive recharge of around 3 stabbers worth isn't godmode, pls tell me what is then.

Mean, sure make it 7/7/3, I fly that thing anyways... No issue with my ships being ridiculously OP - but I'd really dislike facing them in a fight.
Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#1239 - 2013-08-11 12:31:04 UTC
Battlingbean wrote:
...Right so the EOS can have 700dps and 170ehp and be an "excellent frontline-ship" but a theoretical 7/7/3 Nighthawk with 650 dps and 150 EHP is "godmode".
Your full of bias.

Damnation doesn't even get 500 paper dps with HAM's and three BCSII's (130k EHP in three slot tank .. hahaha) so quit your complaining!! Big smile

Damnation ought to be the base line for the old fleets and Sleipnir the baseline for old fields, thusly:

Damnation, Eos, Vulture, Claymore: Tank first, damage second. Resists/Raw EHP, means that Claymore/Eos will have to give up their repair bonuses .. they should all be capable of 225k+ EHP if they choose to forego damage. When using triple damage mods they should be on par with the other four using one (15-20% difference)
* Considering the link type bonuses I'd suggest having one of each (EHP/Resist) available for both camps.

Absolution, Astarte, Nighthawk, Sleipnir: Damage/Application first, Tank second.
Bonuses to be damage, tracking, range etc. with paper dps somewhere around 8-900 (1k for blasters) if skimping on tank and nimbler/smaller than their fat cousins. If tanked out they should be able equal the other four in relative EHP over a period of one full Ancillary repairers worth, pure buffering should fall short by 25% or more.
Means that Absolution should have 15-20% more damage and/or application, NH about half that (has range advantage), Astarte to lose some damage and Sleipnir 7.5%Rof/7.5%Dmg (one turret more than current proposal = +10%dps) and tanks adjusted as needed.
* Sorry Gallente lovers (includes Dev in charge), but believe it or not: Having 1k+ dps while being able to tank that amount is not good for the game unless same performance is made available to all .. ie. if it is only the one it is broken/OP.

Provides both link camps (Info and Skirmish) comparative options; face-melt close range hull and a longer range/utility blob mobile without making either utterly useless when outside its comfort zone (ie. small gang stuff).

PS: Sorting the Spectrum Breaker (functional IDFF) and giving all CCs a hefty bonus to them would be an ideal role bonus which negates the need to nerf alpha into the ground once links come on grid.
Wrayeth
Inexorable Retribution
#1240 - 2013-08-11 13:10:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Wrayeth
Lloyd Roses wrote:
[quote=Battlingbean]

Don't mess up the quoting. A 7/5/5 nighthawk has 150k EHP+ (179k to be precise, using a vanilla fit linking itself including siege link) A 7/7/3 nighthawk would push that tank up a lot and also push it's passive recharge to the 600s, being full buffer fit (it's 400ish right now) - which would result in a solo-pwnmachine.

But yeah, if you think that 200k+ EHP, 700dps and a passive recharge of around 3 stabbers worth isn't godmode, pls tell me what is then.

Mean, sure make it 7/7/3, I fly that thing anyways... No issue with my ships being ridiculously OP - but I'd really dislike facing them in a fight.

I'm assuming your fits don't bother running any sort of tackle on them. As such, I'd like to see you re-run those numbers with tackle included. I'm sure they'll change significantly and show you that the Nighthawk, in its current 7/5/5 configuration, is pretty weak.

As far as 7/7/3, sure I'd LOVE to have that, but that's just a pipe dream in all likelihood. It needs to be at least 7/6/4, however, to be viable in any sort of PvP where it fits both a prop mod and a point. If this doesn't happen, it will continue to be relegated to the trash bin of history and passed up for other, more effective ships.

Hopefully we'll see it get the love it needs to become viable.

Help me, CCP Fozzie. You're my only hope!