These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Unexpected Dowtime Update - Tranquility Is Back Online

First post
Author
burr right
Salusa Secundus Shipyards and Armaments
#81 - 2013-06-03 11:12:24 UTC
Daily down time could have been aborted...I used to run Major BBS...There's an option for that...
ISquishWorms
#82 - 2013-06-03 11:12:44 UTC
Phobos Eversor wrote:
Quote:
We apologize for any inconvenience that this extended downtime has caused.

You... you what?

You stayed up all night for us. You gave up your weekend for us. You updated twitter every 3 hours for us. Your coffee pot valiantly died in the line of duty for us.

You don't need to apologize to us; You need a nap, a raise, and a new coffee pot.

Thanks for the hard work.

The truth ^ thank you CCP.

‘No, this isn't it at all. Make it more... psssshhhh’.

marVLs
#83 - 2013-06-03 11:13:04 UTC
GJ CCP, im glad that everything is ok now Smile
Micha Diavolo
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#84 - 2013-06-03 11:13:37 UTC
Amber Kurvora wrote:
As much as some idiots are all "It's about me! Damn it, Eve is all about my needs, Waaaaaah!", I'd like to think most people had enough common sense to realize it wasn't CCPs fault. Thanks for getting things back on track, CCP. Who ever your engineers are, they deserve some decent coffee and doughnuts.

if i could i would hot drop them a few gallons of high octane coffee or just some old fashioned jolt cola
for a DDoS attack this was a pretty quick return to service, some sites take a week or longer, so 30ish hours with a little play time in between isn't bad
Supra Addict
Perkone
Caldari State
#85 - 2013-06-03 11:14:15 UTC
Rhnra Pahineh wrote:
ITTigerClawIK wrote:
a valid question was raised but topic was locked and linked to an already locked topic to continue discussion but ill ask here, is the new launcher more susceptible to DDoS attacks?

That makes no sense at all. DDoS means Distributed Denial of Service. Basically you focus a lot of requests at a service, enough to make it panic and unable to answer thus preventing people to access said service (here the game). The launcher is a simple launcher, you can't 'attack' it.

the launcher loads several webpages..
The news, the login.. they are all webpages, if you atack the IP in wich they reside, they launches stops working.
AT least eh launcher is very well done and doesn't crash while unable to acess the websites like other games.. (NEverwinter to mention one..)
Xearal
Dead's Prostitutes
The Initiative.
#86 - 2013-06-03 11:14:33 UTC
I pledge a 20B ISK bounty on the people who ddi this... and use a spoon..

Does railgun ammunition come in Hollow Point?

GforceKuka
Piken Square
#87 - 2013-06-03 11:14:34 UTC  |  Edited by: GforceKuka
Thank you CCP for the hard work!

Btw: Why didn't release the expansion today via extended downtime? +Some hours wouldn't matter and we could have saved some DT from tomorrow : /
Demoneta Adama
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#88 - 2013-06-03 11:16:10 UTC
Thanks CCPBig smile
OldWolf69
EVE-RO
Goonswarm Federation
#89 - 2013-06-03 11:16:17 UTC
"What we can now confirm is that a person was able to utilize a vulnerability in one of the back-end services that support the operation of the Tranquility server." This kinda means they also did find the person. And, lol, this was done very EvE-like. Still somehow i doubt there will be hatemail to the author of all this. But for shure there will be bills and citations. Now i just hope one will see how nice is to act Beavis-and-Butthead like, and also feel some consequences.
Crellion
Nano Rhinos
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#90 - 2013-06-03 11:16:33 UTC
Micha Diavolo wrote:
Amber Kurvora wrote:
As much as some idiots are all "It's about me! Damn it, Eve is all about my needs, Waaaaaah!", I'd like to think most people had enough common sense to realize it wasn't CCPs fault. Thanks for getting things back on track, CCP. Who ever your engineers are, they deserve some decent coffee and doughnuts.

if i could i would hot drop them a few gallons of high octane coffee or just some old fashioned jolt cola
for a DDoS attack this was a pretty quick return to service, some sites take a week or longer, so 30ish hours with a little play time in between isn't bad

I like how you commend them to keep the climate amicable but also stake a slightly exaggerated claim for compensation at the same time. Are you perchance a corporate lawyer?

Micha Diavolo
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#91 - 2013-06-03 11:18:12 UTC
Xearal wrote:
I pledge a 20B ISK bounty on the people who ddi this... and use a spoon..

that's been buried in a pit of filth for a month beforehand
jack redgrave
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#92 - 2013-06-03 11:18:27 UTC
I would like to congratulate you Guys on your hard work getting the game up and running.

To those who havent had a long skill up well before patchday???? NOOBS!!!

To those crying for free sp when people pulled a hectic shift to fix a GAME on Sunday... Jeez.. Grow up.

Again Thanks for the hard work and for bringing us such a wonderful game all these years. Big smile

Now: Come down to South Africa guys! Lots of diehard supporters here and its awesome around November.

Cheers and sleep well.

sloany
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#93 - 2013-06-03 11:19:58 UTC  |  Edited by: sloany
Nexeroff Severasse wrote:
ITTigerClawIK wrote:
a valid question was raised but topic was locked and linked to an already locked topic to continue discussion but ill ask here, is the new launcher more susceptible to DDoS attacks?

It's not the launcher that is susceptible to DDoS attacks. Any server, anywhere in the world connected to the internet, can be attacked via a distributed denial of service attack (DDoS).

The launcher relies on websites to work and allow you to login. If those websites are unavailable, the launcher can't log you in, hence the launcher is susceptible.
If you open the "bin\ExeFile.exe", you can log in no worries.

That is what people were doing yesterday, the launcher wasn't working (for whatever reason) but you could still login using the other method.

BTW thanks CCP for getting it back up and running.
Crellion
Nano Rhinos
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#94 - 2013-06-03 11:20:21 UTC
OldWolf69 wrote:
"What we can now confirm is that a person was able to utilize a vulnerability in one of the back-end services that support the operation of the Tranquility server." This kinda means they also did find the person. And, lol, this was done very EvE-like. Still somehow i doubt there will be hatemail to the author of all this. But for shure there will be bills and citations. Now i just hope one will see how nice is to act Beavis-and-Butthead like, and also feel some consequences.

One word: community service.

Spend the next [however long it takes] at least 3 hour per day mining in low sec veldspar only. His ship enter siege to mine and whne you beak it its lootmaggedon. Once broken he is reshipped and respawned at another random belt. Allowed to dock every 20 mins to deposit veld. When she / he reaches 3 billion wallet from this exclusively the pennance is done. Wallet goes to protection of space bunnies.
Micha Diavolo
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#95 - 2013-06-03 11:21:17 UTC
Crellion wrote:
Micha Diavolo wrote:
Amber Kurvora wrote:

I like how you commend them to keep the climate amicable but also stake a slightly exaggerated claim for compensation at the same time. Are you perchance a corporate lawyer?

i think you misread her quote, "as much as some idiots are all about" as in not her/him but bashing the crybabies for wanting something
cybercoder2 Shimaya
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#96 - 2013-06-03 11:22:21 UTC  |  Edited by: cybercoder2 Shimaya
this is the story ov the attack ov ccp

ccp home base came underattack yesterday by millions ov ships and titans ,,a messeage was sent out to all pilots to jump bridge and cyno into system and station ,,after ccp formed together the system ,,gates,,where all locked down and jammed ,thanks to the help ov the jovians ,,after a long battle the attacking ships where all blown up ,it was 1 ov the biggest battles seen on eve ,,:) the last jovian titan jumped out around 30mins ago what a site that was ,,,3 times the size ov eny titan seen before:)
Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#97 - 2013-06-03 11:22:25 UTC
GforceKuka wrote:
Thank you CCP for the hard work!

Btw: Why didn't release the expansion today via extended downtime? +Some hours wouldn't matter and we could have saved some DT from tomorrow : /

It would add more variables to the problem. In a situation like this, a halfway-competent IT tech will lay out three steps:

1) Shut down affected systems
2) Analyze and repair
3) Test, test, test.

Adding a patch just makes the situation that much more confusing, because now they have to debug the patch as well as maintain system stability and conduct repairs.

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

Micha Diavolo
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#98 - 2013-06-03 11:22:35 UTC
and servers up
god Uchonela
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#99 - 2013-06-03 11:23:39 UTC
I know this is waaaayyyy of topic but does eve and dust have the most female characters that are really guys in the game?
A Friend
Perkone
Caldari State
#100 - 2013-06-03 11:23:47 UTC
I`m Hearing Whaa Whaa whaa and it`s all about me. Well Suck it up big time Y`all. What i think CCP needs to do is Level the playing field for just before they took the server offline that way no-one gains no one Looses. were just the same pilots 22 hours later.

Say it Juan Luc-

Make it So.

Roll