These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Unexpected Dowtime Update - Tranquility Is Back Online

First post
Author
Angelus Ryan
One Ronin
#61 - 2013-06-03 11:07:05 UTC
Good job, CCP. Get some sleep! Drive home safely...you guys must be tired as hell.
Absolon Echerie
Roving Guns Inc.
Pandemic Legion
#62 - 2013-06-03 11:07:27 UTC
Time for CCP to get some sleep, even though that may be hard after an epic ammount of coffee Big smile

thanks for fixing it, and keeping the userdata secure
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#63 - 2013-06-03 11:07:44 UTC
Was eve offline?

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Serret Nevets
Annoyance.
#64 - 2013-06-03 11:08:01 UTC
Totally get it guys, Not your fault and ya'll did what needed to be done.

The community appreciates the updates and being informed.

As for compensation, keeps the skill points and add a day or two onto my subscription please. 50k skill points to an 7 year old character doesn't do anything.

Thanks again!
Crellion
Nano Rhinos
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#65 - 2013-06-03 11:08:08 UTC
Rebecha Pucontis wrote:
Could I recommend delaying odyssey. This current outage will really mess quite a few people up with regards to the new SP changes incoming with the odyssey expansion. I don't think people would mind waiting another day or two until everything has settled down.

Also great work CCP, thanks for all the effort in trying to get this fixed.

(EDIT) Also would give you guys a break before the next major server disaster. ;)

this
Amber Kurvora
#66 - 2013-06-03 11:08:26 UTC
As much as some idiots are all "It's about me! Damn it, Eve is all about my needs, Waaaaaah!", I'd like to think most people had enough common sense to realise it wasn't CCPs fault. Thanks for getting things back on track, CCP. Who ever your engineers are, they deserve some decent coffee and doughnuts.
Yummy Yummy Yummy
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2013-06-03 11:08:39 UTC
Chribba wrote:
Was eve offline?

like you wouldn't know you veld whore
Crellion
Nano Rhinos
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#68 - 2013-06-03 11:08:43 UTC
Chribba wrote:
Was eve offline?

Yeah since 5 minutes ago. Usual dt.
Nexeroff Severasse
Asymmetrical Explorations
#69 - 2013-06-03 11:08:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Nexeroff Severasse
ITTigerClawIK wrote:
a valid question was raised but topic was locked and linked to an already locked topic to continue discussion but ill ask here, is the new launcher more susceptible to DDoS attacks?

It's not the launcher that is susceptible to DDoS attacks. Any server, anywhere in the world connected to the internet, can be attacked via a distributed denial of service attack (DDoS).

Simply stated, a DDoS attack is performed by using several computer systems and/or networks, many times the computer systems of people who do not realize their computer system have been infected by a virus,are hijacked and used for the nefarious purposes of the people perpetrating the attack. Imagine if you can, thousands of computers making connection requests all at the same time, relentlessly, over and over, every second, every minute, every hour until it is subjugated.

It's like a 10 lane freeway and all the sudden, every second, 10,000 cars are all trying to get on the freeway all at the same time and not willing to form into lines.

DDoS attacks cause unimaginable choke points on the ports to the point where they no longer can perform their function.

If a DoS attack is performed and originating from one IP address, the solution is simple, block that IP and consider the problem solved until the attacker changes the IP address. In the case of DDoS attacks, distributed being the key functioning word, the attacks come from hundreds, or even thousands upon thousands of IP addresses, all at the same time. Try to deny each of those addresses, and if they are spoofed, it's even more incredibly difficult. Try to deny by mac address and it very well could be that was spoofed too.

Major banking institutions, governments, huge corporations have all been victims of DDoS attacks. Considering how insidious these attacks are, and the near impossibility to prevent them, it's fairly amazing that CCP has been able to do what they have done, on a weekend, and in such short time.

If you do not know what a DDoS attack is you might want to read up, it happens to many sites on a fairly regular basis, and is only becoming more prolific. DDoS attacks have most likely already affected you in some way, and you may not even have realized it.

If you focus your anger and frustration at CCP, you are doing exactly what the people who instigated the DDoS attack hoped you would do. You are being manipulated by the very people who caused the problem to begin with. They hope you demand answers, accuse and point fingers at CCP, they want you to believe it's their fault and that you should be angry at CCP for your loss of game time.

Instead of being sheeple, it might serve everyone better if they simply educated themselves as to what exactly has transpired, and then perhaps you will stop attacking CCP for working so hard to bring their service back online for all of us to enjoy.
Haidi Klum
Honest Pyramid Schemes
Goonswarm Federation
#70 - 2013-06-03 11:08:50 UTC
shidoc wrote:
all eve players should send ccp a new coffie pot and coffie to say thanks

The $200,000 paid by the users community for not playing yesterday should cover that.
Steijn
Quay Industries
#71 - 2013-06-03 11:08:53 UTC
The Annihilator20 wrote:
hey, was the schedualed Maintenance really neccesary? the server hasnt even been up an hour, did CCP not do that while its been down?? thats a bit silly dont you think?

Seems TQ can only be up in 24 hour blocks without maintenance been done on it. Therefore I would suspect that Odyssey wont be released before DT tomorrow or it negates CCPs explanation of why they are currently running the maintenance DT.
Scilina
State War Academy
Caldari State
#72 - 2013-06-03 11:09:12 UTC
Jade Danger wrote:
After all the time being down why do we have to suffer the Scheduled DT?

You have to remember that daily DT is a part of the eve game, stations in null is affected by the DT, new Signatures all over the eve universe, astroid belts etc. So i guess that's why it should occour as planned :)
F1nNsCh3r
Deep Space 69
#73 - 2013-06-03 11:09:18 UTC
have enough sp, i want iskis!:s
Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#74 - 2013-06-03 11:09:29 UTC
This incident has forced me to spend hours outdoors and on a beach, while being intimate with a non-male human, so I'd like to know how does CCP plan to compensate me for this?

Cool
SN50049177 1
Re-Hab
#75 - 2013-06-03 11:10:02 UTC
Implying Implications wrote:
Thank you for letting me log in to update my skill queue.

^^
Amber Kurvora
#76 - 2013-06-03 11:10:05 UTC
Tiven loves Tansien wrote:
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Sooooo what does a hamster do for 20 hours when he can't run on his wheel?

**** a lot

So that's how new servers are made... o.O
Haidi Klum
Honest Pyramid Schemes
Goonswarm Federation
#77 - 2013-06-03 11:10:41 UTC
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
This incident has forced me to spend hours outdoors and on a beach, while being intimate with a non-male human, so I'd like to know how does CCP plan to compensate me for this?

Cool

depends - are you male on female ?
Igore Uranus
Doomheim
#78 - 2013-06-03 11:11:05 UTC
This daily downtime is the cronjob from yesterday ... Big smile
SN50049177 1
Re-Hab
#79 - 2013-06-03 11:11:11 UTC
Phobos Eversor wrote:
Quote:
We apologize for any inconvenience that this extended downtime has caused.

You... you what?

You stayed up all night for us. You gave up your weekend for us. You updated twitter every 3 hours for us. Your coffee pot valiantly died in the line of duty for us.

You don't need to apologize to us; You need a nap, a raise, and a new coffee pot.

Thanks for the hard work.

Not your fault pps.. Thanx for fixing it!!!
Shocker Stalin
Doomheim
#80 - 2013-06-03 11:11:56 UTC
Implying Implications wrote:
Thank you for letting me log in to update my skill queue.

Agreed! I put almost 5 days worth up Cool