These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: CSM 8 Elections--CCP on the impact of the Council

First post First post
Author
mynnna
State War Academy
Caldari State
#21 - 2013-04-17 19:17:33 UTC
DarthNefarius wrote:
first page \o/

Is it too late to throw a few bribes out to the CSM8 candidates?

Better yet how do we get CCP Dolan to throw out a bunch of NULL SEC blocks ballots due to something like hanging chads?Lol

Can't win the election fairly, so you're looking to cheat.

Are you an American? We have a lovely political party you'd fit right in with called the "GOP". Blink

Member of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal

DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#22 - 2013-04-17 19:27:41 UTC
mynnna wrote:
DarthNefarius wrote:
first page \o/

Is it too late to throw a few bribes out to the CSM8 candidates?

Better yet how do we get CCP Dolan to throw out a bunch of NULL SEC blocks ballots due to something like hanging chads?Lol

Can't win the election fairly, so you're looking to cheat.

Are you an American? We have a lovely political party you'd fit right in with called the "GOP". Blink

Actually my family is from Chicago & my dead grandpa is still voting for Dailey's Democratic Machine there...
This is EVE OF COURSE I'LL CHEAT Lol
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#23 - 2013-04-17 19:44:13 UTC
Sarmatiko wrote:

Just one example about CSM 7 (and 6): for past two years UAxDeath posted absolutely nothing relevant about his CSM work not on EVE-O, nor on ru forum where he advertised his "election program". How can we evaluate his work if he never communicated with players?
Yes we seen cool photos and tweets about crazy russian, about how he poisoned CSM with vodka, about Blue Lagoon trip and so on. But do we really need jesters in CSM? And how can we measure real effectiveness of each CSM member without blurry generic devblogs?

So I understand how he could have been elected for CSM 6, but don't you think that players should take responsibility for re-electing him to CSM 7?

I mean, I love death, he is *great* at the summits, but he isn't putting in enough time. The thing is, players knew this. You could tell that he wasn't around, wasn't posting or tweeting. He still got several thousand people to vote for him, and why is that anyone's fault but his voters?

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

Cass Lie
State War Academy
Caldari State
#24 - 2013-04-17 19:51:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Cass Lie
Sarmatiko wrote:

Cass Lie wrote:
This will be an invaluable resource for the future - whenever someone comes with the CSM is useless/does nothing/PR stunt etc. gimmick, it will be possible to bash him over the head with this devblog.

Just one example about CSM 7 (and 6): for past two years UAxDeath posted absolutely nothing relevant about his CSM work not on EVE-O, nor on ru forum where he advertised his "election program". How can we evaluate his work if he never communicated with players?
Yes we seen cool photos and tweets about crazy russian, about how he poisoned CSM with vodka, about Blue Lagoon trip and so on. But do we really need jesters in CSM? And how can we measure real effectiveness of each CSM member without blurry generic devblogs?

I thought you might be Russian after reading your first reply. I kinda understand your frustration with what you see as no available good candidates, but I think there are some very good people running at least outside of the Russian community. Why not send a vote their way? The point is, in the end, the more votes CSM gets, the more power it will have when it somehow runs into disputes with CCP. This could hardly be a bad thing. (Also, Krutoj seemed like an active candidate from the outside, but ways of the ru forums are mysterious.)

But you have a point - there should be an abstain option. It used to be there in the past elections.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#25 - 2013-04-17 19:55:27 UTC
So the CSM is useful to CCP? Nice to know. But it begs to question why the CSM is as useful to the player base as democracy in ancient Athens was to the average denizen of the polis.
Trebor Daehdoow
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2013-04-17 20:04:59 UTC
Cass Lie wrote:
I thought you might be Russian after reading your first reply. I kinda understand your frustration with what you see as no available good candidates, but I think there are some very good people running at least outside of the Russian community.

I worked with Korvin on CSM5. He will be a hard-working delegate if he gets elected to CSM8. Russians who have yet to vote should vote ballots with Korvin in first place. Me in second, of course!

Private Citizen • CSM in recovery

Sarmatiko
#27 - 2013-04-17 20:15:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarmatiko
Two step wrote:
So I understand how he could have been elected for CSM 6, but don't you think that players should take responsibility for re-electing him to CSM 7?

He was elected by bloc vote of course. And Mittani exclusion from CSM7 helped him get his lucky ticket to Iceland.
It will be fair to compare his results to yours, because you was noticeable in CSM6 and re-elected after successful work with great increase in votes (and xDeath result went into decline for obvious reasons).

Cass Lie wrote:
I thought you might be Russian after reading your first reply. I kinda understand your frustration with what you see as no available good candidates, but I think there are some very good people running at least outside of the Russian community. Why not send a vote their way? The point is, in the end, the more votes CSM gets, the more power it will have when it somehow runs into disputes with CCP. This could hardly be a bad thing.

I'm not russian but I belong to russian speaking community, like many players from former USSR republics. And you totally right about frustration in community caused by chain of useless silent candidates. At some point community had more communication with ISD members than with local CSM representatives. CSM8 wont change anything for those who know only one language, especially if they vote for former CSM members (Korvin, Green Lee)
Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#28 - 2013-04-17 20:33:50 UTC
While the skeptics and naysayers will deny it, the community has been extraordinarily lucky with the composition and actions of recent CSM’s. Each of the last three CSMs were the right CSM for the time, with the right people on them to keep pushing things forward. CSM 5 showed that even a partially unified CSM could make enough waves to rock the boat; CSM 6 proved the CSM was a force for positive change and could not be ignored; CSM 7 hammered CCP to ~deliver~ on the true potential of the CSM project by demanding and getting unprecedented access. Whoever ends up on CSM 8 will be in an excellent position to keep things moving forward.

As a CSM candidate, if you think you’re running for CSM so you can go to Iceland and be a Junior Game Designer, that’s not the case. You are not going to sell your T3 Modular Titan, Capital Mining Ship or T2 production replacement idea to Soundwave or Greyscale no matter how drunk they are. Well, probably not. What you CAN do is take those ideas and, along with your fellow CSMs, present them in a context that drives the larger conversation forward; because that’s really what being on the CSM is all about – you are part of a very large, daily and important conversation with the makers of the game. They are people just like you, with many of the same in game frustrations as yourself. Talk to them as you would a corp director about what is pissing you off about some game mechanic and, more often than not, you’ll find common agreement. Where you don’t, it’s an opportunity for intelligent and articulate debate. Should you be elected, expect to work WITH your fellow CSM members more than against. Yes, there are and will be disagreements but time has proven that when you get a bunch of spaceship nerds into one room, be it as a CSM summit or Fanfest, you’re probably going to agree on 95% of everything that is right or wrong about the game.

As a voter, realize there is no such thing as a ‘perfect politician’, but you should strive to elect people that are capable of seeing all sides of an argument while still being able to stand up for their / your views.

Thank you to CCP for posting this dev blog and I hope all of this helps people understand a little more about the CSM and what all the fuss is about. Smile

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!

mynnna
State War Academy
Caldari State
#29 - 2013-04-17 20:36:12 UTC
Seleene wrote:
You are not going to sell your T3 Modular Titan, Capital Mining Ship or T2 production replacement idea to Soundwave or Greyscale no matter how drunk they are.

Or your "bring back tracking titans" ideas, for that matter... Lol

Alekseyev Karrde
Noir.
Templis CALSF
#30 - 2013-04-17 20:37:14 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
It's a lovely devblog, and if it had been released 3 weeks ago, it would probably have had a very positive effect on the election.

With less than 36 hours left until the polls close.... well, it's a lovely devblog.

I really appreciate the time and kind words given by so many members of the CCP staff that I work and talk with on a daily basis. But yeah, this needed come out a week ago. It's a wonderful testament to how far the CCP/player relationship has come but unfortunately I expect most people will be reading it going "Well darn, wish i could have voted"

Alek the Kidnapper, Hero of the CSM

Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#31 - 2013-04-17 20:39:38 UTC
mynnna wrote:
Seleene wrote:
You are not going to sell your T3 Modular Titan, Capital Mining Ship or T2 production replacement idea to Soundwave or Greyscale no matter how drunk they are.

Admit it - you miss the days of valiant titan pilots poking their nose outside of a POS shield to fire an AoE DD through a cyno kestrel, don't you? Twisted

Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2013-04-17 20:40:34 UTC
Seleene wrote:
... the community has been extraordinarily lucky with the composition of recent CSMs.
For someone who was AWOL most of the year, you're kinda straight-up full of yourself.
Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#33 - 2013-04-17 20:44:53 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Seleene wrote:
... the community has been extraordinarily lucky with the composition of recent CSMs.
For someone who was AWOL most of the year, you're kinda straight-up full of yourself.

You should blog some more about how useless CSM 7 has been and back it up with quotes from developers at CCP.

mynnna
State War Academy
Caldari State
#34 - 2013-04-17 20:46:12 UTC
Seleene wrote:
mynnna wrote:
Seleene wrote:

Admit it - you miss the days of valiant titan pilots poking their nose outside of a POS shield to fire an AoE DD through a cyno kestrel, don't you? Twisted

God no. Remote AOE DD was even worse.

Nightfox BloodRaven
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2013-04-17 21:00:41 UTC
Null sec pets trolling LOL
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2013-04-17 21:06:05 UTC
Seleene wrote:
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Seleene wrote:
You should blog some more about how useless CSM 7 has been and back it up with quotes from developers at CCP.
I'm just calling you out for taking credit for **** you didn't do.
DarthNefarius
#37 - 2013-04-17 21:25:50 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Seleene wrote:
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Seleene wrote:
I'm just calling you out for taking credit for **** you didn't do.

NOW THIS IS THE SORT OF MUD SLINGING I WANTED TO SEE AMONGST THE CSM8 CANDIDATES Lol
/grabs popcorn
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
mynnna
State War Academy
Caldari State
#38 - 2013-04-17 22:12:31 UTC
Neither Poe nor Seleene are CSM8 candidates, bro.

DarthNefarius
#39 - 2013-04-17 22:22:28 UTC  |  Edited by: DarthNefarius
mynnna wrote:
Neither Poe nor Seleene are CSM8 candidates, bro.

I know I did say I wanted Blink if the candidates refuse to mudsling & go at it this is just as entertaining: bloggers vs CSM7 bikini mudwrestling round 1 LETS GET REEEEEEEEEEADY TO RUMBLE Twisted
Frying Doom
#40 - 2013-04-17 22:37:12 UTC
Seleene wrote:
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Seleene wrote:

As the CSM is the Voice of the players, don't you think endorsements from players would be more relevant?

This has been CSM7s biggest failing, they forgot who they actually work for.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!