These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey] Faction Navy Frigates

First post
Author
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#161 - 2013-03-14 19:38:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Bouh Revetoile
A kiting frigate will kill an AB frig with 100% success. Is that OP ?

And if TD is the most powerful EWAR, it's only because ECM and SD have been nerfed to ineffectiveness because of whine threads.

Still, drones and missiles ships don't care about TD, and there is some now ; and I'm going to try longer range fit to counter one TD fits. Granted 2 TD are very hard to counter with turrets, but hey, the guy used 2 slots to counter these.
Grunnax Aurelius
State War Academy
Caldari State
#162 - 2013-03-14 19:47:48 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

no cause you should havve a mwd to catch kiters, soo no itts not OP

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=342042&find=unread

Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#163 - 2013-03-14 20:01:05 UTC
Grunnax Aurelius wrote:
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

Exactly ! You got it !

And why shouldn't you do anything to counter TD ?
Lili Lu
#164 - 2013-03-14 20:05:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Lili Lu
X Gallentius wrote:
Uppsy Daisy wrote:

Standard TDs are way overpowered at the moment.

They kind of encourage players to fly missile and drone boats, don't they?

Except drones can be killed by any weapon system. Straight

Not anything you can do against missiles except try to tank them. Pretty ******** for it to be in a game of the future.

No working anti-missile missiles (defenders that are not a pita to operate) or point defense turrets,
No working guidance messer-uppers (communication interference or field to fry internal electronics),
No working guidance diversion (flares / decoys),
No working micro web fields to slow an advancing missile and reduce its range.

The only thing that sometimes works is a coordinated and multi-ship smartbombing screen in a fleet fight, which depends upon all the missile boats bunched up and firing along the same trajectory and not adjusting to the screen. And those screening smartbombers can themselves be killed (partially by their own buddies). In small scale fights one smartie in a high is not going to screen your own ship from missiles. And btw those smarties do a better job as anti-drone defense.

So really only encouraging missile boat use.

It was comical the de minimus nerf TDs got with the last expansion. These remain too powerful on midslot blessed frigs going against turret boats. And thus the specialized ships are not valued enough. All the non ecm ewar should have got the ecm treatment. In that the modules should have been nerfed more and the ships bonused for the modules should have received higher bonuses to compensate.

TDs need a couple anti-missile components/scripts/or even a sister mod. If the backstory is going to be changed to have Minmatar sport more missile boats, then Amarr ewar needs an anti-missile component. Or we could just say that even a partial utility from TD on turrets is still better than TPs. Ugh TPs. but that's for another thread I suppose.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#165 - 2013-03-14 20:06:40 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

And if TD is the most powerful EWAR, it's only because ECM and SD have been nerfed to ineffectiveness because of whine threads.

Still, drones and missiles ships don't care about TD, and there is some now ; and I'm going to try longer range fit to counter one TD fits. Granted 2 TD are very hard to counter with turrets, but hey, the guy used 2 slots to counter these.

You are quite terrible at logic, i don't have the patience for a silly arguement, i've already stated my case fully, if you don't agree.

Meh.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Grunnax Aurelius
State War Academy
Caldari State
#166 - 2013-03-14 22:52:41 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Grunnax Aurelius wrote:
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

Exactly ! You got it !

And why shouldn't you do anything to counter TD ?

Fit a tracking enhancer or tracking computer, problem solved, you just countered a TD

For every problem there is a solution you just need to find it

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=342042&find=unread

X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#167 - 2013-03-14 23:43:28 UTC
Lili Lu wrote:
I sense that somebody's hookbill touched your drones inappropriately. Big smile

Drones are getting better with the damage amplifiers, and the drone destroyers are great little ships that are very resiliant against td's. And with the rebalanced frigs (Tristan for one), neuts + drones are very effective. Things are looking up.
Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#168 - 2013-03-14 23:48:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Veshta Yoshida
Grunnax Aurelius wrote:
Fit a tracking enhancer or tracking computer, problem solved, you just countered a TD

For every problem there is a solution you just need to find it

And the 2-3 slots you need for those TE's/TC's to actually counter it after stacking is accounted for? We are talking frigs, slots are and have always been in short supply, which is why TD's are so damn effective as there is no viable module based counter.

TD's should get the ECM treatment and be nerfed into the ground for all but the bonused ships where they get a boost (same goes for damps for that matter). They'd still be useful on 'off' hulls but not overpowering as they are now, hoping it will come to pass when/if CCP finally gets around to revising eWar as promised for going on two years Smile

As for kiters defeating AB fits (brawlers) .. 'meh'. Kiting pilots are usually of poor quality, both experience and skills wise (or they wouldn't use silly kiting!) so one is normally able to force his orbit into an ellipse and escape as his point drops for that crucial second or two .. he will need insane speed/point-range to prevent it (ie. if he's Loki'ed you are screwed Smile)
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#169 - 2013-03-15 09:43:03 UTC
ECM should get the TD treatment and be viable on every hull.

And most of the time, one TE will mostly counter one TD.
Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#170 - 2013-03-15 10:09:21 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

Because ECM worked so well before it was changed to its current state, right? What is next, roll back the changes to NOS from back in the day? Big smile
Any module that becomes mandatory to stay competitive is bad, yet that is where TD's are heading. Little wonder that the powers that be chose to hold off on the plans to let them affect missiles as well.
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

In what world? Even if the TD is unscripted you'll lose optimal and retain a pittance of the fall-off boost, but only absolute beginners forget scripts on fits that depend on TD's (ie. vast majority fielding them) so you are looking at -30% optimal even with TE.
You literally need 2-3 modules to counter that single TD, which is why multi-midslot frigates are so powerful .. value of a mid slots is simply higher than the low ditto. Not as pronounced on larger hulls due to weapon-range vs. point-range but it is still there, the mid value is something I personally think CCP is downplaying on purpose to avoid having to factor it into balance passes as it would require a lot more spread-sheeting.
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#171 - 2013-03-15 11:21:45 UTC
Veshta Yoshida wrote:
In what world? Even if the TD is unscripted you'll lose optimal and retain a pittance of the fall-off boost, but only absolute beginners forget scripts on fits that depend on TD's (ie. vast majority fielding them) so you are looking at -30% optimal even with TE.
You literally need 2-3 modules to counter that single TD, which is why multi-midslot frigates are so powerful .. value of a mid slots is simply higher than the low ditto. Not as pronounced on larger hulls due to weapon-range vs. point-range but it is still there, the mid value is something I personally think CCP is downplaying on purpose to avoid having to factor it into balance passes as it would require a lot more spread-sheeting.

Counter may not have been the best word to say it, but if you can hit your target despite the TD, then you kind of countered it. You don't need to counter 100% of the effect of the TD to do it.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#172 - 2013-03-15 11:36:32 UTC
X Gallentius wrote:
Lili Lu wrote:
I sense that somebody's hookbill touched your drones inappropriately. Big smile

Drones are getting better with the damage amplifiers, and the drone destroyers are great little ships that are very resiliant against td's. And with the rebalanced frigs (Tristan for one), neuts + drones are very effective. Things are looking up.

True, they have made some hulls work with drones better, but it still does not address that drones are in horrible need of rebalance, to my knowledge they have not been touched since Red Moon Rising.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#173 - 2013-03-15 12:11:42 UTC
Omnathious Deninard wrote:

True, they have made some hulls work with drones better, but it still does not address that drones are in horrible need of rebalance, to my knowledge they have not been touched since Red Moon Rising.

You've missed all the new drone modules recently then?
Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#174 - 2013-03-15 13:03:58 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Counter may not have been the best word to say it, but if you can hit your target despite the TD, then you kind of countered it. You don't need to counter 100% of the effect of the TD to do it.

True, but we are talking frigates. A single kilometre or two (5-10% for a Slicer) easily negates so much damage that you might as well not be there .. TD's are becoming the norm because they are very easy to use and have an abnormally powerful effect in relation to the cost involved (cap/range/slot).

In a few more months, if nothing is done, TD's will be omni-present with mainly 3+ mid frigates being used and all of Eve will suffer for it .. it is as far as I am concerned the poster child for the eWar revamp campaign (could just be my coprs Amarr only creed talking though as lasers are hardest hit due to being almost entirely optimal based Big smile)
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#175 - 2013-03-15 13:34:04 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

A good example of the fact that not all opinions are equal

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#176 - 2013-03-15 13:47:40 UTC
Gypsio III wrote:

So what is better on most ships, a stasis web or a omnidirectional tracking link?
A MWD or a drone navigation computer?
How about a turret vs a drone link augmenter?
The DDA is usable on a few drone ships again many times it is better to fit a mag stab.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Mr Hyde113
#177 - 2013-03-15 14:30:02 UTC
Gypsio III wrote:

So what is better on most ships, a stasis web or a omnidirectional tracking link?
The DDA is usable on a few drone ships again many times it is better to fit a mag stab.

^This Exactly^

They are gimmicky at best, with outrageous CPU reqs on CPU tight ships (Ishtar for example).

Say an Ishtar wants to put 2 drone links in the spare highs for more sentry range. GL finding the 50 something CPU per mod to do it.
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#178 - 2013-03-15 14:46:50 UTC
Gypsio III wrote:

All of these are absurd comparisons. It's like asking whether artillery or ACs are better, without defining the scenario.

At least the guy above me brought up a sensible point, which is the excessive CPU of some of these modules.
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#179 - 2013-03-15 15:03:20 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
A good example of the fact that not all opinions are equal

A good example of the fact that not all coments are equal
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#180 - 2013-03-15 15:07:02 UTC
Drones need a fix that is not connected to their stats

The fact of the matter is that drones are idiots who want nothing more than to a) fly around doing nothing or b) get killed.

They are terrible at managing their prop mods making them over shoot, fall behind and basically do everythign they can to not apply damage. All this while being ridiculously easy to kill (An incursus with neutrons takes down hobs in 2-3 volleys) Add to this that managing your drones is a pain in the ass since you can see their health in your bay so recalling a damaged one to send out a recharged one its dysfunctional at best.

The entire drone interface needs to be fixed (Using drop down menus in a speedy frig fight is bad mkay?), drone AI needs to be improved and drones themselves need some love too.. Not making them so ridiculously easy to kill might be one way. All these problems are bad on light drones, get terrible for mediums and go to being down right laughable for ogres (the fact that ccp keeps trying make us use oversized drones doesn't really help)