These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Live Events Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Arek Jaalan

First post
Author
Faulx
Brother Fox Corp
#21 - 2013-03-04 02:41:29 UTC
As frightening... flattering as that prospect sounds. I'm not sure I'm in a position to dedicate the time necessary for a spot on the CSM. Grid would definitely be a good resource for Live Events though, as he seems to stay pretty on top of things.

An RP candidate would certainly be an interesting boon, but, honestly, I think the best thing we as the community can do for AJ/RP is to keep making content (and events). Ideally, content which doesn't require dev intervention (given CCPs present level of interest... ability to coordinate). With all the tournaments, ship killing events, and even the recent lore-contest, it's plain to see that the devs make an effort for independent player organizations. If we can produce a coherent, attractive body of work with enough polish and production value while including and coordinating efforts from a significant number of subscribers, it will be significantly harder for the devs to continue to ignore... postpone future development in our area of interest.

The most pertinent question then is, "How the hell are we going to organize a near-canonical player-made body of lore which is open to expansion from anyone who wants to participate (without any... much dev help)?"
El Geo
Warcrows
The Ascendants
#22 - 2013-03-04 13:59:41 UTC  |  Edited by: El Geo
It depends on what the devs really want to do, if they have plans to do new types of (NPC) incursions maybe they would like an easy way to create a mass event based on the Sansha, that wormhole is still there and is an excellent opportunity for more live events fun. Hell, Kuvakei could just send a message out to all sympathizers to take control of the constellation, one message could create weeks of events without anything else even being done.

Then theres Lianda Bureau, I mean has there been any real diplomatic effort to send some science teams in search of her (body), I know there seem to be power blocs now in w-space that could be contacted, and lets be honest who wouldn't want some sort of crazy live event in their home system? AJ could use a proper, apolitical diplomatic team, it would be a lot of work for those involved though but again, nothing has to be done CCP side unless they want to get involved.

There were tonnes of players who wanted to get their teeth stuck into it, things would become more interesting if Eifer & Co or Zanou Biotech recruited capsuleers, maybe someone should send some speculative letters of interest out....

what would everyone else like to see happen?
Unit XS365BT
Unit Commune
#23 - 2013-03-05 07:51:49 UTC
El Geo wrote:

Then theres Lianda Bureau, I mean has there been any real diplomatic effort to send some science teams in search of her (body), I know there seem to be power blocs now in w-space that could be contacted, and lets be honest who wouldn't want some sort of crazy live event in their home system? AJ could use a proper, apolitical diplomatic team, it would be a lot of work for those involved though but again, nothing has to be done CCP side unless they want to get involved.

There were tonnes of players who wanted to get their teeth stuck into it, things would become more interesting if Eifer & Co or Zanou Biotech recruited capsuleers, maybe someone should send some speculative letters of interest out....

IIRC, there was an attempt at continuation of the burreau storyline during the initial A'J run... unfortunately an inhabitant of the chosen wormhole exploded the group of Helios' that belonged to ms burreau and her team...

Unit XS365BT. Designated Communications Officer. Unit Commune.

Wyke Mossari
Staner Industries
#24 - 2013-03-05 21:53:45 UTC
Unit XS365BT wrote:
El Geo wrote:

IIRC, there was an attempt at continuation of the burreau storyline during the initial A'J run... unfortunately an inhabitant of the chosen wormhole exploded the group of Helios' that belonged to ms burreau and her team...

While that was a major speed bump, it didn't halt the investigation. It was dropbears departure that seemed to do that.

Arek Jaalan managed to source another example of Trinary Data from the original source, IIRC the Jove renage admiral. The conclusion was that Lianda's Trianary Data came from that same source and these where perhaps literally keys to some Sleeper lock.
Azmith
New-Roots
#25 - 2013-03-13 00:10:54 UTC
Is Arek'Jalaan actually still an active project with an active community? The Eve Wiki article for the AJ mailing list archive is pretty destitute and the last entry is from last year ..... The Eve Wiki seems to be badly maintained in other lore parts (such as the listing of important events by year) aswell.

So I was just wondering whether there actually is any intent to continue this project as it seems like a pretty cool thing and it would be such a shame to go to waste... I am in science myself and I think its great that you can apply it to a game aswell
Faulx
Brother Fox Corp
#26 - 2013-03-13 01:29:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Faulx
Azmith wrote:
So I was just wondering whether there actually is any intent to continue this project...?

That's a complicated question. Let's talk timeline:

(2011.11.30) Last communication from Hilen Tukoss (dev actor in charge): link

...a long silence from the devs as CCP Dropbear (i.e. Hilen Tukoss) becomes mysteriously silent.

...eventually rumors circulate that CCP Dropbear is no longer with CCP.

(2012.03.12) Last time Morwen Lagann (mailing list archivist) updates the mailing list on the wiki link

(2012.03.28) CCP Goliath tentatively adopts the project and asks for time to "get caught up": link

(2012.03.30) CCP Dropbear (Ursa Dropsus, assumedly) says a final g'day: link

... without leadership (i.e. a creative-director) and with no clear direction, another long silence ensues while much of the AJ community gives up hope waits.

(2012.10.05) ...and seven months later CCP Goliath tentatively drops the project, not wanting "to force" the story's development (at least not "right now"): link

(2012.10.19) Eve's wiki (home of the AJ portal) log-in/preference pages break, locking many contributors out from easily updating link

(2012.12.04) New Live Events storylines begin as CCP focus on other content link

(now, 2013.03.13) Wiki remains broken (workaround) creating impediment to any future attempts at revival.

In short, CCP has not revealed any current plans to revive AJ. If the project is to be revitalized, it will likely fall to the players to make it happen. Perhaps, if they do a good job, the CCP Illuminati will attempt to interact with AJ again in some form (assuming it's related to their own current story arcs).

Basically, this last year was an excellent example of how poor decisiveness and a lack of communication can destroy a community: a customer relations nightmare. Hopefully that answers your question.
Amseln deBrabant
Ochsenbruegger
#27 - 2013-03-13 11:17:54 UTC
its sad to see this very nice project gone. Cry

i mean the basic idea regarding devs/player interaction as i understood was:

dev's work:
- hide some easteregg(S) somewhere remote in Galaxy to trigger some eventchain..
or - let players make up their own projects.....if they are good, maybe the devs lay down a new easteregg for these projects...

-> do the eventchain with players interact with these (liveevent...)

i dont see why it should be soooo difficult to integrate this project into current settings of New Eden role playing (dev <-> player <-> player interaction)

Evi Polevhia
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#28 - 2013-03-18 10:19:33 UTC
Amseln deBrabant wrote:
its sad to see this very nice project gone. Cry

i mean the basic idea regarding devs/player interaction as i understood was:

dev's work:
- hide some easteregg(S) somewhere remote in Galaxy to trigger some eventchain..
or - let players make up their own projects.....if they are good, maybe the devs lay down a new easteregg for these projects...

-> do the eventchain with players interact with these (liveevent...)

i dont see why it should be soooo difficult to integrate this project into current settings of New Eden role playing (dev <-> player <-> player interaction)

The problem is, and has been stated earlier in the thread, the people who were working on this project are not the same as those who are currently working on Live Events. They are focused elsewhere and it would take alot of time they do not currently have to catch up with this idea and implement it.

However, as was also said here, they have not forgotten about it and they still talk about it. So don't attend the funeral of something that hasn't died. :)
Previous page12