These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey] T1 Frigate Polish Pass and Naglfar fix

First post
Author
Kerdrak
Querry Moon
#141 - 2013-03-12 10:19:10 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Hello gentlepilots! It's once again time to start soliciting feedback on more ship balance changes! We'll be starting off our Summer lineup gently with some proposed tweaks to a few of the previously adjusted T1 frigates and a change to the Naglfar that was frankly a long time coming (and that I didn't want to create a whole new sticky for).

Naglfar
Instead of requiring a complete redesign of the classic Naglfar hull to do our rebalancing, or waiting until our comprehensive Dread rebalance to touch this most glaring flaw, CCP Ytterbium decided that we'd get the job done using the tools available to us.

So we're removing both the two launcher hardpoints from the Nag (and two highs), and replacing them with a fixed +50% Capital Projectile Weapon damage role bonus that puts the two-turreted Nag on roughly equal footing with its three turret peers.

Are trying to say that your 3D artists are LAZY?
Hakan MacTrew
Konrakas Forged
Solyaris Chtonium
#142 - 2013-03-12 10:32:42 UTC
Bagehi wrote:
Rolling out a collection of tier 2 dreads with the alternate weapon system for each race would likely even things up with the tank preferences for cap fleets.

That would work great for Caldari and Minmatar, but Drone boat Dreads for Amarr and Gallente?
Riapsed Alvilla
Jaded.
Riplomacy
#143 - 2013-03-12 10:34:53 UTC
Tormentor needs CPU not PG
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#144 - 2013-03-12 11:01:40 UTC
Michael Harari wrote:
Volstruis wrote:
I still think that ewar needs to be looked at. Kiting TD meta is a bit broken, especially in t1 frigate land.

Yup. The main problems with ewar atm are

1) It costs too little cap. Like WAY too little cap.

2) Scripts are too powerful. They should be -75/+50 instead of -100/+100

3) They are too easy to fit

Silly ideas. EWAR is already nearly useless on unbonused hull and besides web, scram and TP, CPU cost is insane.
Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#145 - 2013-03-12 12:56:00 UTC
Mourning Souls wrote:
Rifter needs more buff IMO. Rest is good.

But then who do I call?
Miss Miley Cyrus
Day Trippers
#146 - 2013-03-12 12:59:10 UTC
Can we cool it on the frigs already. I imagine this isn't all the changes but there are a lot more ships in order and if we keep doing summer sults on "already balanced ships" mad players will remain mad players. Maybe the whole "lets keep things a secret and surprise them" with t2 cruiser fixes isn't ideal. Tell us and people will stop complaining and come flocking back from ship spinning.
Cameron Zero
Sebiestor Tribe
#147 - 2013-03-12 13:06:42 UTC
I don't think +50 armor is going to "fix" the Rifter, but I'll wait to see what happens.

I have a request:

In the interest of lessening weapon confusion (something CCP Fox Four had been doing), can someone please consider renaming the 800mm Repeating Artillery. It's not artillery. Thank you!

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. …"

Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#148 - 2013-03-12 13:07:19 UTC
Miss Miley Cyrus wrote:
Can we cool it on the frigs already. I imagine this isn't all the changes but there are a lot more ships in order and if we keep doing summer sults on "already balanced ships" mad players will remain mad players. Maybe the whole "lets keep things a secret and surprise them" with t2 cruiser fixes isn't ideal. Tell us and people will stop complaining and come flocking back from ship spinning.

Rebalancing is never a done deal, and as someone from CCP has said the days of balance and forget are over (I can't find the exact words or who said it though).
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#149 - 2013-03-12 13:16:29 UTC
Primary This Rifter wrote:
Miss Miley Cyrus wrote:

Rebalancing is never a done deal, and as someone from CCP has said the days of balance and forget are over (I can't find the exact words or who said it though).

It was CCP Fozzie who said that Big smile

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Alek Row
Silent Step
#150 - 2013-03-12 14:40:50 UTC
I really really doubt you will be able to improve the rifter / punisher without a bonus change / new role.
One thing is to say "that the days of balance and forget are over", other thing is to make it real.
50 armor? 50 hull? You are fixing nothing with those, you are just throwing a bone, I'm not a fan of half-baked fixes.

Naglfar, I believe that those changes will improve it for sure (despite the laziness)

And since the metagame is always on the move and will never settle, I don't think you should mention it that much, it starts to sound like a excuse to not perform changes at a better pace. It's a valid reason, but still an excuse.

Skex Relbore
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#151 - 2013-03-12 14:50:42 UTC
Ouoman wrote:
How will the new Nag affect the current sov warfare meta? Aka cap blobs. Since:

a) most of null can fly alpha maels already and the skill req for dreads is being lowered to Racial BS4 there's a loooooot of people not too far off from flying an alpha nag.

b) Arty Nags with the new damage bonus and only a t2 fit with faction ammo easily put out ~100,000 damage alphas.

A Nag fleet as small as 40-50 alpha nags can hit siege and alpha a slowcat every 15 seconds at up to about 100km(70+168 for a ganky fit). Reps basically being ignored. If the hostiles escalated with supers and titans the Arty nags could theoretically blap a super or titan in 3-5 volleys. Smart target calling and target switching would play havoc on carriers trying to provide logi. Obviously it would be a war of attrition but an ArtyNag fleet could easily win the isk war.

I'm not a cap pilot so this is obviously theoretical.

Do you and the other "OMG lowering the BS requirement to 4 is going to lead to massive capital proliferation" realize what a small part of a proper capital train the BS5 skill really is? Heck it's probably one of the least painful parts since it benefits you when flying something other than a capital. Trust me it's not BS5 that's the real impediment to people getting into capitals, it's the 3-4 months of support skills particularly the jump skills.

As for me I applaud the Nag changes, sounds like I my Nag pilot might actually get to see some use in the future, even better It'll save me a few hundred million when I eventually lose it when I don't have to replace 4 capital weapons. Oh and it now joins the blap dread team.
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#152 - 2013-03-12 15:02:59 UTC
CCP fozzie, the gap between frigates and T II frigates became so small that you would only fly a TII if you really want to spend monney... In some cases like the gallente EAF the T1 version is still better for fleet (have 3 more drones).... so How is the Tecnetium rebalance going? Can we expect it soon? It has been almost a yer since CCP talked about it in the fanfest!
S'totan
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#153 - 2013-03-12 15:48:02 UTC
I Personally like the idea of the Nag only having 2 guns.
Makes it cheaper to fit
Means you can overload the guns for a little over a minute longer than the rest of the dreads.
And its vertical and useful now.
America leads the way.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#154 - 2013-03-12 16:19:55 UTC
Alx Warlord wrote:
CCP fozzie, the gap between frigates and T II frigates became so small that you would only fly a TII if you really want to spend monney... In some cases like the gallente EAF the T1 version is still better for fleet (have 3 more drones).... so How is the Tecnetium rebalance going? Can we expect it soon? It has been almost a yer since CCP talked about it in the fanfest!

T2 frigates have not been rebalanced yet.
Why are you bringing up resource distribution issues in a ship balancing thread? Fozzie doesn't handle that.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#155 - 2013-03-12 16:21:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
S'totan wrote:
I Personally like the idea of the Nag only having 2 guns.
Makes it cheaper to fit
Means you can overload the guns for a little over a minute longer than the rest of the dreads.
And its vertical and useful now.
America leads the way.

Smile
Yeah, the people accusing CCP of being lazy are more than a little amusing. The phrase "cutting off their nose to spite their face" comes to mind.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#156 - 2013-03-12 16:24:26 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Michael Harari wrote:
Volstruis wrote:
I still think that ewar needs to be looked at. Kiting TD meta is a bit broken, especially in t1 frigate land.

Silly ideas. EWAR is already nearly useless on unbonused hull and besides web, scram and TP, CPU cost is insane.

Oh come on. TPs pfft. It's the TDs that are appearing on so many unbonused ships. TDs on 5 midslot Hookbills or other midslot blessed frigs are pretty common. Those midslot heavy frigs have plenty of cpu to fit them and they are very (too) effective at neutering turret boats.

TDs should get a nerf tbh, and then the ships specialized for TDs get a compensatory raise on their bonus. This will be even more necessary once the TC/TE/TD effects on missiles get implemented. Otherwise TDs will become the I-win button on any ship that has a larger number of mids, and those ships with only 2 or 3 mids may be SOL.

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#157 - 2013-03-12 16:43:10 UTC
Deacon Abox wrote:
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Michael Harari wrote:
Volstruis wrote:

Oh come on. TPs pfft. It's the TDs that are appearing on so many unbonused ships. TDs on 5 midslot Hookbills or other midslot blessed frigs are pretty common. Those midslot heavy frigs have plenty of cpu to fit them and they are very (too) effective at neutering turret boats.

TDs should get a nerf tbh, and then the ships specialized for TDs get a compensatory raise on their bonus. This will be even more necessary once the TC/TE/TD effects on missiles get implemented. Otherwise TDs will become the I-win button on any ship that has a larger number of mids, and those ships with only 2 or 3 mids may be SOL.

I realize what you are saying, but you do make it sound like electronic attack frigates will be the undisputed kings of frigate combat soon. Smile

Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#158 - 2013-03-12 17:39:20 UTC
Deacon Abox wrote:

TD are not overpowered, not more than a shield extender in fact. If any, small missiles are OP, because they have almost no counters, but that's not a problem of TD. Any kiting ship taken at close range will blow up in a few seconds, no matter how many TD he have.

The problem people have with TD is the same than with ECM or EWAR in general : they need to specificaly fit against it if they want to kill a ship using it, and that mean being weaker against ships who don't do it.
Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#159 - 2013-03-12 18:06:06 UTC
Good changes. Don't forget the pirate frigates.

The Tears Must Flow

Vayn Baxtor
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#160 - 2013-03-12 18:30:26 UTC
I must somewhere agree too on TDs being a bit too effective. On the other hand, sometimes it is essential so that we tacklers don't instantly blow up the moment we come close without one. While not a mandatory module, it does have that effect of "must have or die", somewhat like how it is or was with ASB when it came out.

Personally, I wish we could see more a decent split between EWAR for general ships and real sophisticated ones for the specific ships. TP, while not a big thing, is actually a perfect example - at least before Drake nerf. It was not uncommon to see Drakes or any other missile boat fit one or if not two of them. Sure, unbonused, but you still get major benefit.

I'd rather see basic T1 EWAR for the general public of ships be much weaker (or if not, just removed) and have these special EWAR modules be for the specific ships.

It would go too far to generalize the EWAR modules into brackets, so I won't ramble on that one.

But say,
like Target Painter being a very special EWAR module that is alike Covert Ops Cloaking Device II, being only available for specific ships like Hyena, Vigil, Recons, Bellicose -- These ships having the TP Bonus and access to fitting these. Additionally, other "EWAR ships" of the respective empire factions shall be able to the TP likewise, but without the bonus (as they would ECM, TD or SensorDamp or whatever bonus instead of TP).

The point of that would be a much better line drawn between ship types in terms of tiericide and there would be an even higher need for players to use these ships in their fleets, rather than just having fleet doctrines put it all in their Battlecruiser zergs.

Bit off topic, as it does not help much the Frigs, but I think that would help as well as seeing more diversity in fleet fights rather than just another BC with painters.

Using tablet, typoes are common and I'm not going to fix them all.