These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Is the bounty system a bad idea

First post First post
Author
Whitehound
#41 - 2013-02-14 12:22:45 UTC
Angelique Duchemin wrote:
In order for bounties to actually work. It would have to be a bad thing to have one. Now it's just a badge of honour to pirates and an annoyance for regular people who never earned them.

Bounties do not work at the moment no.

I agree to some extend here. Bounties should not start below 10m ISKs (in the current economy). Too many players are willing to give away 100k ISK or 1m ISK just for laughs. It needs to mean something. Smaller amounts may seem reasonable for rookies, but I would not mind if they were spared the occasional joke bounty if all it means to increase the minimum.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

GreenSeed
#42 - 2013-02-14 12:23:15 UTC  |  Edited by: GreenSeed
my only gripe with the bounty system is that there needs to be a "median average" bellow which you don't get the annoying "WANTED" sign.

having it for 100kisk is lame.

having that wanted sign on your avatar needs to be a quick way for any Bounty hunter to spot a valuable target, and for someone who just became a valuable target to know he could warp into a gate camp in the next gate.
Karak Terrel
Foundation for CODE and THE NEW ORDER
#43 - 2013-02-14 12:31:10 UTC
Planetary Mnemonic wrote:
Personally I think seeing that over 3/4 of players have bounties on them nullifies the point of bounties.

Characters on active accounts with any bounty on them:
3.4%
Mag's
Azn Empire
#44 - 2013-02-14 12:42:03 UTC
Karak Terrel wrote:
Personally I think seeing that over 3/4 of players have bounties on them nullifies the point of bounties.

3.4%
Maybe it was a typo. But then that nullifies the point of their post. Lol

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Whitehound
#45 - 2013-02-14 12:48:45 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Karak Terrel wrote:

3.4%

I am sure the percentage of bounties is higher in Jita than somewhere in 0.0 or W-space.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Karak Terrel
#46 - 2013-02-14 12:54:33 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Karak Terrel wrote:

3.4%

I am sure the percentage of bounties is higher in Jita than somewhere in 0.0 or W-space.

All it takes is to klick the link and read the devblog. There is a graph for that too. Enjoy the colors, it's a Punkturis devblog Lol
Mag's
Azn Empire
#47 - 2013-02-14 12:57:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Whitehound wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Oh I have no doubt. But to claim it's 3/4 with what is anecdotal evidence and then ask for hoops to be made to jump through, I find rather ridiculous.

That said I can get behind an increase in the minimum though, but we need to be aware of new pilots lack of funds.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Whitehound
#48 - 2013-02-14 12:58:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Karak Terrel wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Karak Terrel wrote:

3.4%

All it takes is to klick the link and read the devblog. There is a graph for that too. Enjoy the colors, it's a Punkturis devblog Lol

No. It only shows the bounties claimed per sec level. You think all those 100k ISK bounties in high-sec are getting claimed?

Takes a little bit more than clicking stuff, son.

Edit:
And don't bother about the colours. CCP Punkturis is pregnant...

Karak Terrel
#49 - 2013-02-14 13:07:06 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Karak Terrel wrote:
Whitehound wrote:

No. It only shows the bounties claimed per sec level. You think all those 100k ISK bounties in high-sec are getting claimed?

You mean you prefer to take a wild guess over an approximation based on related data? Maybe that works for you dad.
Whitehound
#50 - 2013-02-14 13:19:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Karak Terrel wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
Karak Terrel wrote:
Whitehound wrote:

You mean you prefer to take a wild guess over an approximation based on related data? Maybe that works for you dad.

You do not get it, right. I will explain.

First of all is nobody here talking about the total average except for a couple of forum warriors who want to win a non-existing argument as they always do. No news here.

Now for a player who lives in high-sec will the number of players with an active bounty be higher. Just stay long enough in Jita and players will give you a bounty if you do not have one already, because they only need to look at the icons.

The dev blog, when looking at the pie chart for the sec levels, then only shows the amount of total ISKs claimed per sec level. It is then important to understand that a bounty can disappear if enough of it is being claimed. So since the ISKs claimed in 0.0 is much higher than for high-sec will this mean that there are a lot more unclaimed bounties to be found in high-sec than in 0.0.

Just because it is not written pink on black so you can get it, does not mean one cannot draw conclusion out of those numbers.

You get this now?

Planetary Mnemonic
NightFall Division
#51 - 2013-02-14 13:33:04 UTC
Karak Terrel wrote:

3.4%

Interesting, I assume there is a way to look that up but I didn't know about it.

When i say 3/4 of the people have bounties on them, I mean I actually right clicked a bunch of people in dodoxi local one day while bored, and that about 3 out of 4 active players in local had a bounty on them.

Reality in dodoxi verses statistics game wide

Mag's
Azn Empire
#52 - 2013-02-14 13:34:55 UTC
Karak Terrel wrote:

3.4%

Interesting, I assume there is a way to look that up but I didn't know about it.

When i say 3/4 of the people have bounties on them, I mean I actually right clicked a bunch of people in dodoxi local one day while bored, and that about 3 out of 4 active players in local had a bounty on them.

Reality in dodoxi verses statistics game wide

You shouldn't base game changes, on anecdotal evidence or assumptions.

Takseen
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2013-02-14 13:34:59 UTC
Devblog says
Quote:
Characters that have logged in within the last 7 days with personal bounties on them
11.7%

Last Fanfest presentation had something like 70-80% of people living in highsec.

That's still very very few people with bounties, and short of evidence to the contrary that's what I'll continue to believe.
Takseen
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#54 - 2013-02-14 13:40:38 UTC
Crexa wrote:
What do I get for the kill? Besides being out the original 380m loss and the 127m bounty?

Nothing but a kill mail !!! Likely, not even a frickin corpse! So whats the point? Revenge? How is there any revenge when the guy you put the bounty on gets to first laugh at you for mining (stupid miners), then gets to laugh after you get blown up, then laugh after you get podded, then laugh at the bounty you placed on them because they think you made them mad.

The bounty system should only work for those who lose ships (with one type of multiplier) and podded (with another multiplier). You should get your bounty back (times the sec status as a multiplier, divided by ship value, times either ship loss or pod multiplier) and the person filling the bounty gets an equal amount minus the original bounty.

You'll get a killmail everytime he gets killed. Whether he gets killed more often cos of the 127m bounty depends on what else he does besides ganking miners.
I'm unclear why you think you deserve your bounty back once the contract is filled, though. That's not how bounties, or any kind of services, work.
Whitehound
#55 - 2013-02-14 13:43:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Mag's wrote:

Is this an assumption of yours? Lol

Let me help you out.

If there is an imbalance, which does not show up in an average statistic, then your so called "anecdotal evidence" may be your only evidence for it. So it is good to look at those once in a while.

And every developer assumes their changes will work and improve the game. And if they have done their homework will their assumptions almost always prove right. They only will not know before it goes live.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#56 - 2013-02-14 13:49:06 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Is this an assumption of yours? Lol

Let me help you out.

If there is an imbalance, which does not show up in an average statistic, than your so called "anecdotal evidence" may be your only evidence for it. So it is good to look at those once in a while.

And every developer assumes their changes will work and improve the game. And if they have done their homework will their assumptions almost always prove right. They only will not know before it goes live.
You missed my post above. I said I had no doubt that they look higher is certain systems.

Also, Devs assuming things will work, is not the same as basing changes on assumptions. Just helping. Big smile

Whitehound
#57 - 2013-02-14 13:58:47 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Also, Devs assuming things will work, is not the same as basing changes on assumptions. Just helping. Big smile

Actually it is.

You look at your evidence and draw conclusions, and when you implement a change then because you assume that whatever it is you want to change is going to work out. Only when you do not change a thing do you have certainty. So each time you make a change do you take chances.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#58 - 2013-02-14 14:06:41 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Actually it is.

You look at your evidence and draw conclusions, and when you implement a change then because you assume that whatever it is you want to change is going to work out. Only when you do not change a thing do you have certainty. So each time you make a change do you take chances.
I bolded the important part. That's the part I'm talking about.

Whitehound
#59 - 2013-02-14 14:11:48 UTC
Mag's wrote:
I bolded the important part. That's the part I'm talking about.

Yes, exactly! Your evidence shows you the is-state. So what happens when you change the is-state? ... You invalidate your evidence! You do so purposely, because you want the evidence to go away, because it is the evidence of the problem you want to fix!

Ratmuss
Children of Prophecy
#60 - 2013-02-14 14:13:01 UTC
The bounty system should be open to all, but when a "Law-Abiding" citizen, AKA "carebear", places bounties, there should be some negative effects on their public standing.

Suggestions:

- Placing Bounties on players with positive sec status costs the issuer sec status.

- The higher the bounty's sec status, the greater the minimum cost. Substantial enough that putting a hit on an otherwise "upstanding citizen" too often can lead to "legal" problems in Hisec.

- Set a cap on number of active bounties per account. 10 is a good number. If people have issues with more than 10 people, they should be placing bounties on corps, or alliances.