These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

CCP! Please clarify the future plans for WiS!

First post
Author
Karadion
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#61 - 2011-10-24 21:17:20 UTC
arcca jeth wrote:
in the end, CCP still has not Polled or Surveyed their current and previous subscribers. If they survey people when they cancel (i don't know if they do because I haven't cancelled since a brief moment in 06) then I am sure they would (hopefully) use that feedback to at least really know why people cancelled.

I think they already know when their clients counted how many people turned off in-station environment.
Cyra Mangeiri
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#62 - 2011-10-24 21:21:00 UTC
Karadion wrote:
I think they already know when their clients counted how many people turned off in-station environment.


This isn't an accurate number of how many dislike the station environment, though, it's an accurate number of how many dislike it as is (rushed, unfinished) and how many suffer from the unrealistic hardware requirements (unpolished, rushed, unfinished),
Tashanaka
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#63 - 2011-10-24 21:22:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Tashanaka
CoLe Blackblood wrote:
I like the idea of Walking in Stations. The scope of what CCP is trying to do with their space game is quite impressive...rather than being like every other nub on here and saying GTFO, I will say that we need more spaceships way before we need to go to the cantina.


Agreed, WiS is a nice concept but once you walk around the station what is there to do? Nothing. What activities are going to add to WiS? No real details yet. What is going to make WiS better than docking into the hanger view? Nothing so far. So, where are the details?

CCP needs to put WiS on the back burner and work on FiS features/balance/upgrades until they have a concept for WiS that'd make it worth getting out of the hanger.
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
Already Replaced.
#64 - 2011-10-24 21:23:01 UTC  |  Edited by: xxxTRUSTxxx
Skunk Gracklaw wrote:
Nick Bete wrote:
Kudos to the unidimensional thinkers for creating a false dichotomy. To have Incarna fleshed out and delivered doesn't preclude the continuing evolution of the space combat portions of the game.

In theory you may be right but in the real world CCP neglected Eve to work on a bunch of other stuff and the game suffered for it.



it was neglect alright, but not because CCP neglected EVE, they neglected to listen to the players of EVE.
God knows enough of us said during testing on sisi that CCP should not realease it until it was ready.
CCP had the edge over other companies, that edge was listening to the players, this was the neglect that caused the fail.
it looks like that's been fixed, only time will tell.
Cyra Mangeiri
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#65 - 2011-10-24 21:26:10 UTC
Karadion wrote:
And given CCP's track records, you expected Incarna to be any better than the horrible form it is now?


This is not relevant to the point.

And for the record, I didn't expect anything, I've learned not to, so I don't get disappointed.
Barakkus
#66 - 2011-10-24 21:26:40 UTC
Tashanaka wrote:
CoLe Blackblood wrote:
I like the idea of Walking in Stations. The scope of what CCP is trying to do with their space game is quite impressive...rather than being like every other nub on here and saying GTFO, I will say that we need more spaceships way before we need to go to the cantina.


Agreed, WiS is a nice concept but once you walk around the station what is there to do? Nothing. What activities are going to add to WiS? No real details yet. What is going to make WiS better than docking into the hanger view? Nothing so far. So, where are the details?

CCP needs to put WiS on the back burner and work on FiS features/balance/upgrades until they have a concept for WiS that'd make it worth getting out of the hanger.



They had one, as seen in the video from 2008 which we never got, but it looked awesome.

http://youtu.be/yytbDZrw1jc

Cyra Mangeiri
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#67 - 2011-10-24 21:29:36 UTC
Yeah, there was a concept that didn't quite make it for Incarna, if you'll allow me the understatement. The concept, however, is awesome, and not unattainable, as long as they don't get hung up on making it as high poly count as they can without frying hardware.
Tristan North
The Scope
#68 - 2011-10-24 21:30:55 UTC
Karadion wrote:
Tristan North wrote:
Karadion wrote:
I can say for all goons except Rho Squad that we do not want WiS. That's 4000+ people right there.

That's the definition of conformism, it's ridiculous.

Cry about it.

Hooray cool goon?
Diomedes Calypso
Aetolian Armada
#69 - 2011-10-24 21:32:52 UTC
Skunk Gracklaw wrote:
Nick Bete wrote:
Kudos to the unidimensional thinkers for creating a false dichotomy. To have Incarna fleshed out and delivered doesn't preclude the continuing evolution of the space combat portions of the game.

In theory you may be right but in the real world CCP neglected Eve to work on a bunch of other stuff and the game suffered for it.



plus one to both thoughts

I'd have preffered something far less abitious with real features.. there is no way a room full of our full featured avatars jumping up and down , raising cups or guns etc wouldn't burn up even the best gaming computers at this point in time and I don't really understand why that didn't become apparant 3 or 4 months before the char editor release.

It could have been fun to have a place to do silly things running around in fancy clothes if that were a clamp on....

... probably shouldn't have done anything until after they relased dust.

.

Dbars Grinding
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#70 - 2011-10-24 21:33:47 UTC
WiS does not have any gameplay. I know i play video games for their gameplay, i don't know about you guys. Also if you think WiS is gameplay then maybe you should be informed that there are other games out there.

I have more space likes than you. 

Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#71 - 2011-10-24 21:33:53 UTC
War Kitten wrote:

I'd rather have something useful to the gameplay like engine trails tbh.


Not to be a Negative Nancy here, but...

How is exhaust useful to EVE's gameplay?

Will we get a +5% to Choke on Smog, or something?

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#72 - 2011-10-24 21:35:45 UTC
Karadion wrote:
arcca jeth wrote:
in the end, CCP still has not Polled or Surveyed their current and previous subscribers. If they survey people when they cancel (i don't know if they do because I haven't cancelled since a brief moment in 06) then I am sure they would (hopefully) use that feedback to at least really know why people cancelled.

I think they already know when their clients counted how many people turned off in-station environment.


Well, actually, a lot of people turned off the CQ because it caused a frame rate hit and they couldn't run multiple clients easily, or because content was so limited, or because some of the short cut options they were used to were not there any more. Likely all three.

Not all of them turned it off because they wanted Incarna trashed, never to be iterated on again. Perhaps not even a large percentage of them.

I personally would have no issue with a poll of existing subscribers at logon along the lines of:

1: Incarna and WOD can die in a fire, trash it completely and move on.
2: Incarna and WOD should be on hold for the forseeable future, but not completely forgotten.
3: Incarna and WOD should be on hold for at least a year, and then limited resources should be allocated to it.
4: Incarna and WOD development should continue now, but with a reasonable division of resources.
5: I"m quiting because Incarna and WOD have been so severely cut back.

Followed with a text box entitled:

What Incarna related content and game play features would you like to see eventually, if any?

I think the results would be interesting, especially if it were tied into the login screen, not the forums.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
Already Replaced.
#73 - 2011-10-24 21:35:52 UTC
Astrid Stjerna wrote:
War Kitten wrote:

I'd rather have something useful to the gameplay like engine trails tbh.


Not to be a Negative Nancy here, but...

How is exhaust useful to EVE's gameplay?

Will we get a +5% to Choke on Smog, or something?



lol
Cyra Mangeiri
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#74 - 2011-10-24 21:36:01 UTC
Dbars Grinding wrote:
WiS does not have any gameplay. I know i play video games for their gameplay, i don't know about you guys. Also if you think WiS is gameplay then maybe you should be informed that there are other games out there.


WiS does not have any gameplay as it is, yes. WiS, as envisioned by CCP originally does have gameplay. If you think a failed implementation is all there is to a feature, I should inform you that you should never play any games, period.
Cyra Mangeiri
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#75 - 2011-10-24 21:39:31 UTC
Dbars Grinding wrote:


Issler


You're going to get 300% more WiS content in the winter expansion than you did in Incarna.

Stop being being greedy.[/quote]




also this[/quote]

You mean; "also this is still missing the whole point by a mile, while smiling stupidly for the photographer who's taking a photo of you and your wife, who's also your mother and grandmother".
arcca jeth
Dark Alliance
#76 - 2011-10-24 21:41:15 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Karadion wrote:
arcca jeth wrote:
in the end, CCP still has not Polled or Surveyed their current and previous subscribers. If they survey people when they cancel (i don't know if they do because I haven't cancelled since a brief moment in 06) then I am sure they would (hopefully) use that feedback to at least really know why people cancelled.

I think they already know when their clients counted how many people turned off in-station environment.


Well, actually, a lot of people turned off the CQ because it caused a frame rate hit and they couldn't run multiple clients easily, or because content was so limited, or because some of the short cut options they were used to were not there any more. Likely all three.

Not all of them turned it off because they wanted Incarna trashed, never to be iterated on again. Perhaps not even a large percentage of them.

I personally would have no issue with a poll of existing subscribers at logon along the lines of:

1: Incarna and WOD can die in a fire, trash it completely and move on.
2: Incarna and WOD should be on hold for the forseeable future, but not completely forgotten.
3: Incarna and WOD should be on hold for at least a year, and then limited resources should be allocated to it.
4: Incarna and WOD development should continue now, but with a reasonable division of resources.
5: I"m quiting because Incarna and WOD have been so severely cut back.

Followed with a text box entitled:

What Incarna related content and game play features would you like to see eventually, if any?

I think the results would be interesting, especially if it were tied into the login screen, not the forums.


I would agree to the polling delivery method, but honestly I would leave WoD out of it. Different game and not EVE, I would personally like to see them focus all their resources on EVE and seeking funding for WoD from new investors. Use that funding to rehire WoD staff and separate the two completely. If they want to make the work they've done cross functional to implement, fine no big deal.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#77 - 2011-10-24 21:46:37 UTC
The problem is that CQ is beta quality at best. Pushing an unstable product into a production environment (all of your subscribers) is never a good idea.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Flamespar
WarRavens
Imperium Eden
#78 - 2011-10-24 21:52:53 UTC
Yes a lot of players want walking in stations as was originally proposed. Not the single room that we got. There is a difference.

Incarna haters are unable to fathom this.
Karadion
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#79 - 2011-10-24 21:54:45 UTC
Flamespar wrote:
Yes a lot of players want walking in stations as was originally proposed. Not the single room that we got. There is a difference.

Incarna haters are unable to fathom this.

No, we get it. Again the concept is still extremely limited. What gameplay functionality was there anyways? There's a thousand times more crap to do in FiS than WiS.
How2FoldSoup
Hull Tanking Elitists
#80 - 2011-10-24 21:55:31 UTC
I would like more spaceships personally..