These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Live Events Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Rogue Drones.

First post
Author
Unit XS365BT
Unit Commune
#1 - 2012-12-07 21:37:19 UTC
While I understand that the alien nature of rogue drones in the universe is part of the reason that I, along with many others, seem to find them so interesting, I do wonder if the recent implementation of Drone officer spawns could possibly be the beginning of some degree of further explaination regarding them, perhaps even some form of less violent interaction between dronekind and capsuleers.

Having read TEA and the reports of the drone mind missions, it seems apparent that there are some drones out there that do not seek to simply destroy any ships nearby and make people into interesting organic processors.

much like the earlier thread concerning the EoM, i wonder if the Drones would ever have any capsuleer contacts ... perhaps even some NPC stations or space to call their own..

Though it is likely apparent why I am hoping this happens... :)

Unit XS365BT. Designated Communications Officer. Unit Commune.

Borascus
#2 - 2012-12-08 09:48:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Borascus
Unit XS365BT wrote:
While I understand that the alien nature of rogue drones in the universe is part of the reason that I, along with many others, seem to find them so interesting, I do wonder if the recent implementation of Drone officer spawns could possibly be the beginning of some degree of further explaination regarding them, perhaps even some form of less violent interaction between dronekind and capsuleers.

Having read TEA and the reports of the drone mind missions, it seems apparent that there are some drones out there that do not seek to simply destroy any ships nearby and make people into interesting organic processors.

much like the earlier thread concerning the EoM, i wonder if the Drones would ever have any capsuleer contacts ... perhaps even some NPC stations or space to call their own..

Though it is likely apparent why I am hoping this happens... :)

Based on the descriptions of the Officer Spawns; they appear to have developed from an idiom. The references to the behavioural type that led to their ascension has them as sentience with character traits. That gives them the backbone of societal interaction - largest area of effect / influence.

The descriptions of the Drone Regions on the map do point to "lonesome" drones that help capsuleers, as well as lots of other stuff, but it was hinted that the names of the Drone Regions, and the descriptions thereof, were applied by players.

As for whether or not a Live Event could include a Rogue Drone group functioning in New Eden, in an official storyline of EVE Canon sense? Abstention. But it would be good to see.
Velarra
#3 - 2012-12-10 22:00:01 UTC
If you're interested in Drones & their back story, you *really* want to run "The Anomaly" in its L4 guise. It doesn't seem to be available everywhere, but i'd try Amarr space.

Unfortunately the text elements can't be shared in-site with fleet mates if you join someone running it.
Markku Laaksonen
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-12-11 00:46:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Markku Laaksonen
Remember to take care of your drones so they don't go rogue, folks. Rogue drones will come into your homes at night, murder you in your sleep, **** your wife, mutilate your children, make a coat out of your dog, burn down the house, and **** (metaphorically) on the ashes of it all.^1

Edit: I didn't realize those words would be filtered. Needless to say, and supported by the EVE-O forum filter, rogue drones will do unspeakable things to your loved ones.^2 Footnotes moved below this edit, for consistency's sake.

Footnotes
^1 Postnatal http://community.eveonline.com/background/potw/default.asp?cid=30-10-06
^2 "**** your wife" & "****... on the ashes of it all."

DUST 514 Recruit Code - https://dust514.com/recruit/zluCyb/

EVE Buddy Invite - https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=047203f1-4124-42a1-b36f-39ca8ae5d6e2&action=buddy

Unit XS365BT
Unit Commune
#5 - 2012-12-11 02:02:57 UTC
i doubt they'd do the exact things you reference...

however, it does seem that the vast majority of drones are of a somewhat.... confrontational sort.

Not all of them of course.

iyammarrok
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-12-13 15:11:51 UTC
A thought on the drones...

Considering that they are going to be, at least in part, the PvE aspect of DUST, There is likely to be some manner of advancement on their story or PF.

I'm just hoping that it isn't going to be that they're all now psycho killerbots, it's their society and the subgroups within dronekind that have always interested me as a player.

I'm interested in the things that have happened to Orphyx and the other named drones from the Code Aria report, finding out which ones spawned VILAMO, Dronietta (Drone Mind) and others... and seeing whether they are going to become more than easy to kill two dimensional hivebots. we've been given glimpses of what they could become.... I don't think i'm alone when I say that I would love to see more.

-Rok

Not indicative of corporate policy unless otherwise stated.

Eliniale
Co-operative Resource Extraction
#7 - 2013-01-10 17:02:00 UTC
I've also been somewhat obsessed with the rogue drones for quite a while now.

(and was pretty miffed when they didn't pick them to be the incursion bad guys, could you imagine them taking over systems, it would be a truly beautiful and nightmarish infestation.)

That being said, the drones coming to sentience is even more interesting. The whole Dronietta story was particularly interesting.

So i'm most certainly looking forward to some more live events with the buzzers.

System ideas: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=191928&find=unread

Liuni Kalthis
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-01-22 19:50:25 UTC
They do seem like a fun group, the only thing concerning the live events with the drones is if they will go all Terminator on the planets or would it be a normal war for resources like the recent Matrix.

The reason I'm not sure how these stories will go down is because I'm not sure EVE would like to have that whole "Well you just copied x" in their lore. Especially with them being in the PVE aspect of DUST, it will probably depend on if the single player is just wave after wave after wave for points or something for the player to struggle against with a story.

That being said if people enjoy playing rogue drones flying around, and it is within the bounds of established lore, its not like I have anything to say against it nor have the developers; not to my knowledge at least.
CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#9 - 2013-01-24 11:59:15 UTC
One of the big problems with running Rogue Drone events is the inability to create characters with appropriate avatars.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

ChromeStriker
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-01-24 13:03:49 UTC  |  Edited by: ChromeStriker
I would like to bring forward exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnt1tTlnqfY&list=SPFC7B99173F4DC31F&index=1

Please note the rouge drones (0:34)! If ever there was a drone live event being called for its now lol

CCP Eterne wrote:
One of the big problems with running Rogue Drone events is the inability to create characters with appropriate avatars.

???
please see exhibit B: Unit XS365BT

Creepy (tho oddly cute) avatar perfectly depicting a human puppet drone.... Add in some dev magic and you could add metal or something lol

Id help a drone trying to find its humanity (whatever), and if that means shooting some cool looking domi's and then shooting tentacle waving weapons on the ground... all the better

No Worries

Eli Green
The Arrow Project
#11 - 2013-01-24 13:08:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Eli Green
ChromeStriker wrote:

The bio seems to indicate some sort of imminent violence between the rogue drones and sansha, that would make for a pretty epic live event Big smile

wumbo

Zanmaru
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#12 - 2013-01-24 14:31:42 UTC
ChromeStriker wrote:
I would like to bring forward exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnt1tTlnqfY&list=SPFC7B99173F4DC31F&index=1

Please note the rouge drones (0:34)! If ever there was a drone live event being called for its now lol

CCP Eterne wrote:

???

Creepy (tho oddly cute) avatar perfectly depicting a human puppet drone.... Add in some dev magic and you could add metal or something lol

Id help a drone trying to find its humanity (whatever), and if that means shooting some cool looking domi's and then shooting tentacle waving weapons on the ground... all the better

In line with this, perhaps some of the more "eccentric" drones have begun adapting actual humans, or constructing convincing humanoid drones to interact with humans and further there own goals. Or would that be too anime?
Unit XS365BT
Unit Commune
#13 - 2013-01-25 03:12:05 UTC
To be honest, the look of this character was heavily influenced by Romi (Andromeda)... Though i thank you for the compliment regarding her being a good approximation of a droneclone... that was the intent.

I do however agree with Eterne... it would be great if the assets were there to make drone-esque looking characters.. though the only way i can see that being possible at the moment is to put an interesting skin over the top of a DUST merc's avatar...

even then it's a bit of a leap of faith as to whether or not it would work... though referring back to the Andromeda tv series, the ship's androids did kinda look a little like DUST mercs.

Saede Riordan
Alexylva Paradox
#14 - 2013-01-25 13:50:43 UTC
If anyone is interested at poking at drone stuff within the storyline, they should contact me IC. Just btw.
Faulx
Brother Fox Corp
#15 - 2013-01-25 14:25:46 UTC
Meh, just make an avatar and replace their Pic on the avatar pic Html server with a head on shot of an art asset from Dust like this.

I know, I know... that still leaves you with the humanoid "view full 3d portrat image"... maybe that can be the drone's "Virtual self image?"
Buhhdust Princess
Mind Games.
Suddenly Spaceships.
#16 - 2013-01-25 15:08:27 UTC
CCP Eterne wrote:

This is easily Solvable, you either:
1. Don't give them avatars, just give them the standard gray background like u get if u havent made an avatar since update
2. Give them a creepy white face, with synthetic eyes and strange markings on their face.
3. (The hardest) Create new accessories for actors only that resemble rogue drone technology.

:)
Regkar Koskanaiken
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#17 - 2013-01-26 03:38:09 UTC
I think a good choice for a rogue drone's representation would be the classic spess AI, SHODAN.

That's just what I think of when I imagine one's representation.

Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#18 - 2013-01-29 12:04:37 UTC
CCP Eterne wrote:

Go fire up your old 386 and play Starsiege again. The Cybrids had a level of story depth that puts even Galactica to shame. And yes, they had avatars.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Grideris
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2013-01-29 12:54:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Grideris
CCP Eterne wrote:

Didn't they upload slightly customised avatars for particular faction leaders? Might be possible to author your own image and put it on the image server if this is the case (and set it so you can't view full body).

EDIT: An example is Jacus Roden. If you look at him in game, you can view his portrait, but you can't actually see his full body (CONCORD stops you). This is different from normal agents, which you can do a full preview of.

http://www.dust514.org - the unofficial forum for everything DUST 514 http://www.dust514base.com -** the** blog site with everything else DUST 514 you need

Kel hound
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-01-29 13:19:52 UTC
CCP Eterne wrote:

Wasn't it possible to create faceless avatars sometime back in the incursion expansion?
Couldn't you just do the same for the actors?
123Next page