These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Ship-troduction: The Minmatar Tornado

First post First post
Author
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#281 - 2011-10-21 21:44:50 UTC
Shin Dari wrote:
Cpt Fina wrote:
These need to have crap tanks if they are to be balanced. Hoefully CCP introduce these along with a nerf of tier 2 BCs to effectively unlock the line of t1 cruisers, HACs and tier 1 BCs that was made obsolete as tier 2 BCs became popular.

I don't agree with you, tier 1 BC are very cost effective.

kunniz wrote:
So what you did is you made tier1/2 battlecruisers completely obsolete now.

and why would you fly 150mil hac when it dies everytime to 40mil tier3 bc?

hope these new ships will be in balance somehow...
Frigates will eat tier 3 BC for lunch.

what like assault frigs?

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

DarkAegix
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#282 - 2011-10-21 21:57:54 UTC
TOO MUCH EXCITEMENT
Jada Maroo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#283 - 2011-10-21 22:03:52 UTC
Easy way to make sure these don't become and all too cheap gank ship rendering high sec essentially lawless is to make them tech 2 battlecruisers. Take away the cheap.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#284 - 2011-10-21 22:05:55 UTC
Jada Maroo wrote:
Easy way to make sure these don't become and all too cheap gank ship rendering high sec essentially lawless…
…but why would you make sure of that? Twisted
Szilardis
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#285 - 2011-10-21 22:09:05 UTC
Can this come with a buff to Tier 1 BCs that make them more useful, then?
Jada Maroo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#286 - 2011-10-21 22:12:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Jada Maroo
Tippia wrote:
Jada Maroo wrote:
Easy way to make sure these don't become and all too cheap gank ship rendering high sec essentially lawless…
…but why would you make sure of that? Twisted

Because I doubt CCP wants to drive off a significant portion of their players by rendering their home uninhabitable. Believe me, I'd rather have it be a cheap, fun ship. But if the end result is that you can barely fly anything through high sec? Nope. Sorry, it might not be perfect security space, but it's still supposed to be high. And these ships will make it chaotic if they're cheap.
Jenn Makanen
Doomheim
#287 - 2011-10-21 22:17:57 UTC
Hmm. Wonder if it'll have an ROF penalty, like Destroyers.
Havegun Willtravel
Mobile Alcohol Processing Units
#288 - 2011-10-21 22:41:46 UTC
Pocket Battle Ship was the term of choice back in the day.
A Heavy Cruiser hull with Battle Ship guns.
In their time they were often refered to as the ' Terror of the Sea's' for their unmatched combination of speed and destructive power.

Glad I hate sking cause i know where i'll be all winter.

Muahahaah a Myrm with heavy neutrons. I feel th love already.
Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#289 - 2011-10-21 22:55:51 UTC
Very interesting. Funnily, just as some of my characters were finishing the final large t2 bs weapons..

AFK-cloaking in a system near you.

Dalilus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#290 - 2011-10-21 23:15:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Dalilus
And here I was ready to leave EVE for Skyrim.....thank you CCP. A cane with BS guns...thank you!

On another mater, any possibility of un nerfing the speed nerf of Minnie ships? Pirate
Jarin Arenos
Card Shark Industries
#291 - 2011-10-21 23:16:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarin Arenos
I know the similarity has been pointed out, but putting them side by side...

Well, let's just say that the MInmatar seem to have a new trade agreement with the Gallente.

Tornado design comparison

But I'm not CCP Soundwave, so what do I know?

Floydd Heywood
Doomheim
#292 - 2011-10-21 23:57:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Floydd Heywood
This should be interesting. Although I mourn a little for my beloved battleships. The smaller ships are already better in most situations, and also cheaper. Now there will be speedy new small ships that combine the firepower of battleships with the agility of battlecruisers, making battleships even less important.

However... happy me, who has skilled BC V and T2 Large Turrets. I should be well prepared to adapt :)
David Grogan
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#293 - 2011-10-22 00:08:33 UTC
Shin Dari wrote:
Cpt Fina wrote:
These need to have crap tanks if they are to be balanced. Hoefully CCP introduce these along with a nerf of tier 2 BCs to effectively unlock the line of t1 cruisers, HACs and tier 1 BCs that was made obsolete as tier 2 BCs became popular.

I don't agree with you, tier 1 BC are very cost effective.

kunniz wrote:
So what you did is you made tier1/2 battlecruisers completely obsolete now.

and why would you fly 150mil hac when it dies everytime to 40mil tier3 bc?

hope these new ships will be in balance somehow...
Frigates will eat tier 3 BC for lunch.

not if the tier 3 has a drone bay they wont

Everytime you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping the rising unemployment in your own country unless you are from china, Buy locally produced goods and help create more jobs.

Tyme Xandr
Weyl Manufacturing
#294 - 2011-10-22 00:20:47 UTC
So after reading through page after page of either rejoice or tears/horror I decided maybe it was time for an intelligent post that can maybe spark some intelligent conversation.

Facts:
Tier 3 BC
Large Weapon Systems
Low Ability to Tank

Intelligent Assumptions (if those things exist)

Due to this ship being able to fit Large Weapons it could naturally be assumed that since they are not a battleship they wont be able to fit a whole rack. Lets presume 4-5 weapon slots with 2-3 maybe 4 utility slots. This would keep the need for Battleship's as they can hold full racks of large weapons. Ex: Tornado can fit 4 or 5 800's, use the utilities for neuts. Caldaris can fit 4-5 torps, the rest can be neuts or spider shield mods.

Their bonus will be towards fitting, much like Stealth Bombers have bonuses to allow Torps to be equipped despite their fitting ability. Example: 69.65% reduction in Large Projectile Weapon systems powergrid needs. (I made that number from thin air as I dont assume itll be like SB's 99.65% reduction.

Low tank ability makes me think they will have reduced low/mid slots. This will diminish the ability of Armor tankers to fit tracking/dmg mods and shield tankers diminished ability to shield tank/tackle. They will pick one or the other or try to even out between the two making them only somewhat average in both respects.

So this appears to sound like a pretty balanced ship that wont be the WTF pwnmobile. Theyre still large weapons which means smaller sig ships/faster ships can outrun siege missiles and waver away from tracking of large guns. The ships wont be overtanked as they will have lowered tanking ability (RP element of using more space/systems/power for large weapons).
Raneru
Jerkasaurus Wrecks Inc.
Sedition.
#295 - 2011-10-22 00:21:28 UTC
This is the first new addition for a long time that I've been excited to try out. Sounds awesome! Cool
Kassasis Dakkstromri
State War Academy
Caldari State
#296 - 2011-10-22 00:22:39 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
I love it!!!!

Please have the Caldari one be Missiles. Please!

GOD NO!

Fast Fleets need insta damage --- buy the time anything 'missile' related is shot the target will be popped.

And I say this even with having deficient gunner skills :(

CCP you are bad at EVE... Stop potential silliness ~ Solo Wulf

Kassasis Dakkstromri
State War Academy
Caldari State
#297 - 2011-10-22 00:37:50 UTC
Ingvar Angst wrote:
Does anyone else see these new BCs getting eaten up by swarms of smaller ships?

"Captain! Tordado sighted dead ahead!"

"Send in the assault frigates!"

Short answer: Yes!

CCP you are bad at EVE... Stop potential silliness ~ Solo Wulf

Crazy KSK
Tsunami Cartel
#298 - 2011-10-22 00:51:55 UTC
Please CCP! Give those ships their own class!

they are not Battlecruisers! battlecruisers are ships with 5-7 medium guns!

Quote CCP Fozzie: ... The days of balance and forget are over.

Ranka Mei
TANoshii Incorporated
#299 - 2011-10-22 01:00:45 UTC
Wow, first Hilmar coming totally clean, and now CCP actually using a fanart contest ship model, it's almost like you're listening to your customers again. You guys are scaring me! :) In a good way.

Keep up the excellent work, CCP!

-- "All your monies AUR belong to us!" -- CCP

Relicc
Hideaway Hunters
The Hideaway.
#300 - 2011-10-22 01:04:10 UTC
I said, hell yeaaa